Author Topic: *Team Avalanche: WMRP(WorldMap Retexture Project)*  (Read 193587 times)

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
Re: Help Identify World Map Textures!
« Reply #25 on: 2009-08-26 23:43:22 »
got some more work done, 90% of the dirt textures have been identified and replaced.  I also worked on the grass some more, it looks much better IMHO, and i got rid of the shag carpet look you guys picked up on.

all pics were taken at 1600x1200.  The dirt needs a bit more work to give it some depth but it's pretty much finished. The grass might as well be final also, i might tweak the brightness/contrast a hair to make it a tad lighter though.

lee

KnifeTheSky77

• Somnambulistic Paraphile
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2009-08-26 23:52:42 »
it looks great man, although i will say that the world map now looks like a highly tended for piece of land, sort of like a golf course
 :mrgreen:

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2009-08-26 23:58:39 »
Pfft, where I live, all the grass looks like that :-P

But I think that FF7's world could do with grass that isn't quite as green, so maybe you should tweak it to make it a bit lighter. I think that this is the only mod I've seen that makes the colours in FF7 look stronger rather than weaker :lol:

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2009-08-27 00:07:09 »
yeah, i'm still toying with the overall feel of everything,  I can always "brighten" everything up in the end.  it's amazing how different the world map looks though, it makes me curse the damned 100ft draw-in distance even more! I'd like to pay the person who figures out how to get rid of that!

lee

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2009-08-27 00:07:42 »
the grass needs less definition, it looks like there is a noise filter on it now. You need something like hair/lengths for strands of grass (the scale of the world map makes no sense).

as to the color, add some yellow to it, to make a lighter color, cuz as stated, its too green.

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2009-08-27 00:22:35 »
the grass needs less definition, it looks like there is a noise filter on it now. You need something like hair/lengths for strands of grass (the scale of the world map makes no sense).

as to the color, add some yellow to it, to make a lighter color, cuz as stated, its too green.
i originally had a grass texture that had what your talking about, but the game randomly flips around the textures on the world map.  This produces some very nasty "seams" in textures that are vaery visable, and the only way i could get rid of it was to add some noise to make it less noticable.  look at the stock world map, it's basically a bunch of big blocks that resemble terrain :D  I see why square went with that type now, because the non-tiling nature of the world map requires noise, otherwise it looks like a bunch of puzzle pieces.

Also, more details will be added to the grass (color changes and additions) but they all have to be able to tile correctly(an un-noticably) within the game.  I created seamless textures at first, but they looked awful because the game doesn't follow the texture applications standards that we are used to in 2009.

Also, showing the new textures next to the old makes mine look much more defined that they really are.  Once i have everything completed the new textures won't stick out licke a sore thumb(as they do now)
lee
« Last Edit: 2009-08-27 00:24:44 by pyrozen »

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2009-08-27 00:28:22 »
you said seamless textures didnt work? were they seamless in 4 directions? or only horizontal/vertical.

Also, can ye send me the original? I'd like to play with em

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2009-08-27 00:40:10 »
they we're only seamless horz/vert, but it still doesn't matter.  Look at my the first pic i posted in this thread to see how the game applies textures. My texture caller reads "external texture" but when it's shown ingame it's all over the place.  Even a fully seamless texture is useless on the world map due to the way the game applies them.

lee

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2009-08-28 22:49:44 »
here's a few more with the slightly modified grass.  It's not as flat as before, an i lightened the tones quite a bit(alot more yellow)

for comparision to the old shot

near midgar, the dirt needs some more work too, it just doesn't look very "dirty"

lee

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2009-08-28 22:58:34 »
Even I still think they're a bit too strong :-P, but it's worth noting that there are a lot of old textures left in those world maps whose colours make the new ones look stronger than they are.

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2009-08-28 23:07:54 »
Too strong colours, If I would be you I would download some seamless grass and dirt textures that looks realistic. Yeah realistic, because they are a bit too toony atm. But it's a improvement, you need to modify every town too, and the beaches. They got the old textures...

seamless textures don't work, the world map doesn't apply things in a normal manner.  See the first picture in this thread to see what i mean.  Also, towns and such are last on the list, I won't compile any type of release until i get around 90% of the textures replaced. Also, once all the textures are replaced the coloring worn't even be noticable, i hate the bright washed out look of the stock textures.  These are hand created texures BTW, all of the premade ones i downloaded looked terrible ingame, especially the photo realistic ones.

lee

edit- you snuck one in one me! i'll try it right now.

it looks very good in-game, but when your moving around the texture get very noisy, to the point where it almost looks like static.  It's kinda hard to explain, but if all of the textures were this detailed, your eyes would get very tired from looking at the world map.  Maybe a lower resolution to remove some of the details?  I had this problem when i first started making these textures, and the only way to counter it was to blur them down.

lee
« Last Edit: 2009-08-28 23:14:13 by pyrozen »

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2009-08-29 00:52:04 »
Realistic in Arctic tundra land maybe! :lol:

I think the best colour would be one halfway between pyrozen's one and the original

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2009-08-29 05:40:18 »
I drool over this progress, awesome job everyone :D

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2009-08-29 16:24:20 »
I like the color of the one in pyrozen's screenshot (is that hermoor's texture?), but it is too detailed. That color on a blurrier or less detailed texture would look great.

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2009-08-29 18:12:27 »
that has been my perfect vision of FF7 remade, well the grass anyway.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2009-08-29 18:24:14 »
hermoor the problem with your grass is that there is too many details in it. i'd suggest taking a quarter of it, at a high resolution and using that otherwise it has that static-ey look to it, because there are just too many varied pixels close together

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2009-08-29 18:59:09 »
I think that colour is quite good. Maybe it could do with being a bit "warmer", but it's not bad.

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2009-08-29 21:17:31 »
I'm actually dropping into this, i'll do some renders tomarrow.  I'm patying my ass off today and i'm nopt bothering to screw around......................

lee

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2009-08-30 22:56:13 »
I look forward to seeing this new one ingame, color is good

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2009-08-31 20:42:19 »
okay, the smaller version that hermoor posted looked good, but pretty much the same as the first one.  Using his image, i tweaked the color on my grass to get a much more realistic coloring.  The original color is to the left, just before the very light grass.

IMHO, i think it looks good, and it's non-directional so you can't spot the repeats or strands as easily on hermoor's grass.  I may increase the brightness to get it looking like the original grass on the right, but i like the darkness, the originals are just washed out.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2009-08-31 20:46:39 »
needs more yellow/brown, although grass /is/ green, ye must realize a lot of color comes from the dirt underneath

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2009-08-31 21:29:24 »
I agree with Timu, more yellow, grass that green only exist in american backyards and on golf courts :p

The grass in my backyard is as green as pyrozen's older textures :-P

Also, I like the shade of green used by the Chocobo farms in that last pic; it's bright and colourful, but not overpowering

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2009-08-31 22:12:19 »
i'm pretty happy with what i have now, and much thanks to hermoor and his textures since they helped me arrive at what i consider a happy medium.  I'm going to move forward with what i've got now, and once i release something I welcome everyone to create their own version of how they think things should look. I like the golf course look, since i'm not going for photorealism at all. I imagine a sorta mashup of all the best textures coming out at some point. 

Mainly, I'm doing the hard part of mapping everything out and create dummy textures for all of the stock ones.  Everyone after me will have a MUCH easier time since you won't be trying to ID 32x32 textures and where they go ingame.

But for now we're just gonna have to agree to disagree :-D

lee

KnifeTheSky77

• Somnambulistic Paraphile
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2009-08-31 22:14:59 »
Geez, i dont even know which grass i like now. Ill have to agree with you pyrozone i like the 'golf course' look
Good luck on your project and I cant wait for a release  :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: 2009-08-31 22:17:39 by knifethesky77 »

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2009-08-31 23:42:44 »
just a lil side project i was testing....

it all lines up for the most part, though the northern continent is wayyyy off on a few spots.  Still, it's enough to help you find your way around.

lee