Author Topic: Crappy square artists....  (Read 12238 times)

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
Crappy square artists....
« on: 2010-05-29 19:50:12 »
I have been looking into the battle BG for the street fights near the Train..etc(Start of new game), and I'm sure this goes without saying, but I just tried to mess with starting the sha[es for the white/red arrow on the ground and the two zero's and square's artistry skills are very apparent.

Problem 1: If I make the image 2048x2048 and then zoom in most if the way until it shows a grid and do my editing from there the arrows and zero's come out EXTREMELY crooked.I want to redo them with the ruler and make them perfectly straight, does that sound good? Also the two 0's arent't the same, I would like to make the top one like the bottom one, do you guys agree?

Zoom in to see what I mean...

This took me10 mins at 5 a.m. in the morning, Don't worry, it will wind up looking Nothing like this.(Im not using any material from this pic lol, I was waaayyy to hungover and sleepy.

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
Re: Crappy square artists....
« Reply #1 on: 2010-05-29 21:17:45 »
Just to let you know many people have already started that texture. You may want to choose another.

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010-05-29 22:11:58 »
Are they doing the other textures associated with this scene?Ie the walls etc? Also how can we translate the sign in that scene from japanese?

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010-05-29 22:13:10 »
Yes the whole scene is being worked on by Timu_Sumisu. And we arent planning on translating the japanese, just making it look better.

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010-05-29 23:00:57 »
if your going for per-pixel accuracy, use layers and make the original overlay your image, and reduce the originals opacity by 50%. Then move back to your image, zoom in, and paint directly over the original image, but on your layer. It's pretty simple.

Even easier would be to isolate the letters with the magic pen, then overlay them onto your image with a soft light filter so they blend properly with your work.

Or about 1000 other ways i can think of to do this.

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010-05-30 00:06:18 »
Yeah I was gonna do all that, but the problem is that the shapes turn out crooked(which doesnt matter much ingame come to find out) in relation to each other.

And the second little 0 makes an 8 when put together ingame.Anyway, sl said they got it, so Im gonna mess with other things.

Marc

• I hear Voices ... in my head
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010-05-30 01:02:20 »
Just to let you know many people have already started that texture. You may want to choose another.

If I've been following his progress correctly, this is a battle background asset, not a field one.  Unless both field and battle can share the same textures.

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010-05-30 01:08:21 »
Yeah I was gonna do all that, but the problem is that the shapes turn out crooked(which doesnt matter much ingame come to find out) in relation to each other.

And the second little 0 makes an 8 when put together ingame.Anyway, sl said they got it, so Im gonna mess with other things.

sorry, i wasnt sure how experienced you are with image editing. I really wish i could help, all of these new projects are starting up and my hands are completely tied...unless someone can tell me how to run FF7 on a macintosh computer.

KnifeTheSky77

• Somnambulistic Paraphile
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010-05-30 01:41:50 »
macintosh computer.

If x86:
  1. Linux
  2. Wine+FF7

If PPC:
  1. Take out loan
  2. Start business
  3. Make money
  4. Set business on fire with macintosh inside
  5. Collect insurance money
  6. Purchase PC
  7. ?? ?? ??

/real_life_advice

BlitzNCS

• Master of nothing in particular
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #9 on: 2010-05-30 10:19:21 »
  1. Linux
  2. Wine+FF7

Don't quote me on this one, but I think there's a version of wine for OSX - no need for linux. It's probably not as good though.

Micky

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2010-05-30 10:43:14 »
I have been looking into the battle BG for the street fights near the Train..etc(Start of new game), and I'm sure this goes without saying, but I just tried to mess with starting the sha[es for the white/red arrow on the ground and the two zero's and square's artistry skills are very apparent.

Problem 1: If I make the image 2048x2048 and then zoom in most if the way until it shows a grid and do my editing from there the arrows and zero's come out EXTREMELY crooked.I want to redo them with the ruler and make them perfectly straight, does that sound good? Also the two 0's arent't the same, I would like to make the top one like the bottom one, do you guys agree?
Maybe they wanted to go for a worn look, where the arrows were painted by hand onto an uneven surface, and then had cars and pedestrians go over them for a few years?
And you have to remember that 3D content creation was quite new at that point, and the PS1 hardware was quite limited compared to what we have today.
Don't quote me on this one, but I think there's a version of wine for OSX - no need for linux. It's probably not as good though.
Ha, I'll quote you on that! This obviously requires one of the new x86 based Macs.
Additionally you can dual-boot Windows, and there are a few VM solutions for MacOS to run Windows in parallel to MacOS.
Older PPC-based Macs (like mine) can run various software emulations, but I just got a cheap PC and a KVM switch.
« Last Edit: 2010-05-30 10:56:49 by Micky »

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2010-05-30 16:31:31 »

If I've been following his progress correctly, this is a battle background asset, not a field one.  Unless both field and battle can share the same textures.

Trust me, I have insider info

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #12 on: 2010-05-30 23:33:44 »
  1. Linux
  2. Wine+FF7

there is, and the major problem with it seams to be that the qurtz driver(its needed is not quite up to par w/ the x11 driver that the linux version uses.

also about this texture opac, i did up date it and passed it along to timu to get finished, im not sure if he will use it but,  here is what i sent him (@2048^2048, since 4096^4096 didn't look much better) its in-game and i got there w/ black chocobo (wip quest progression functions). the yellowish stuff on the right is i think left over from a previous attack right before the snapshot, and the white speckles are from idk, but they only show in game.

Gemini

• Not learner's Guru
    • View Profile
    • Devil Hackers
« Reply #13 on: 2010-05-31 00:50:45 »
There's way too much noise on that texture.

sithlord48

• View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #14 on: 2010-05-31 03:18:02 »
yea thats just the last one i put in ff7 i cleaned it up a bit after that, before i sent it to timu,but like i said im not sure if its gonna get used or not.if he can fix it up then i suspose it would be at very least a decent start for the texture.

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2010-05-31 03:49:26 »
If it was less noisy it'd be pretty good

sithlord48

• View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #16 on: 2010-05-31 05:10:58 »
it is also missing the lighting effects. so over all its way to bright of a scene

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2010-05-31 05:58:54 »
I like the brick personally.  The white and red need a more worn look to them I think.   And the grey and brown beside the road look much too similar to the road itself.

Honestly I think it's really good, just needs some small tweaks

DarkFang

• Pirate
  • Ponies! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2010-05-31 06:01:42 »
The best thing in that picture is Cloud's sword!

Haha I'm kidding. It looks really nice but as the guys above me said, it needs a few tweaks. Better than the original and better than anything I can do.

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2010-05-31 07:54:34 »
Lol wish I hadnt edited for 10 mins poorly drunk....Mine just is horrible.(Thats what 10 mins of drunken/hungover work gets you lol)

nikfrozty

• Cloud kicks Sephiroth's Butt Anytime
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2010-05-31 07:58:37 »
  1. Linux
  2. Wine+FF7

there is, and the major problem with it seams to be that the qurtz driver(its needed is not quite up to par w/ the x11 driver that the linux version uses.

also about this texture opac, i did up date it and passed it along to timu to get finished, im not sure if he will use it but,  here is what i sent him (@2048^2048, since 4096^4096 didn't look much better) its in-game and i got there w/ black chocobo (wip quest progression functions). the yellowish stuff on the right is i think left over from a previous attack right before the snapshot, and the white speckles are from idk, but they only show in game.

Its like the effect in resident evil 5 with the noise. Actually I kinda like it. :P

Marc

• I hear Voices ... in my head
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2010-05-31 15:54:24 »
Trust me, I have insider info

I wouldn't have guessed ;)

I really like it.

However its a bit of the same issue with the grass in jeff's other attempt in that the battle characters are too dark and don't stand out against the battle backdrop with the added details ... perhaps adding some kind of a semi-transparent white fog (something like a 90% transparent white overlay) would make the characters stand out a bit more while still retaining all of the details from the scene ?

Just an idea.

edit: another idea. maybe just adding light sources where the characters stand would fix that.  That's somwhat what the devs did in the original scene judging from the top image ...
« Last Edit: 2010-05-31 15:57:24 by Marc »

sithlord48

• View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #22 on: 2010-05-31 18:52:32 »

edit: another idea. maybe just adding light sources where the characters stand would fix that.  That's somwhat what the devs did in the original scene judging from the top image ...

yes this when i attempted to add the lighting effects,they turned out poorly but it helped greatly in making the background part of the scene and not "the" scene.