Author Topic: Mods  (Read 49949 times)

sm0knpurp

Mods
« on: 2009-08-25 20:26:31 »
Im currently in the process of getting the FF7 game for my PC and was looking over the mods because they sounded interesting and came across a problem:

There seems to be a TON of them out there.

Therefore, I was wondering if I could get some help.  I looked through the wiki but it doesn't seem to have as many listed as I believe there are.  Could I get people to list any known mods they know that work and that enhance the game's experience (i.e. NPC reconstruction).  Just the name of the mods would be great (although a link would be even better).  There just seems to be so many topics it would take ages to go through and find the ones I want.

Also, from what I read I need the Ficedula LGPTools to apply these (correct?).  If so could I get a link as to where to find that?

Please and Thanks

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
Re: Mods
« Reply #1 on: 2009-08-25 20:48:58 »
Definitely Get:
Aali's Custom Graphics Driver - Allows for playing the game in higher resolutions than 640x480, as well as generally improves the game's performance.

Strongly Consider:
FF7Music - Replace the crap default MIDI music with the original Playstation version music, or MP3s of your choice. The link is to a tutorial I made (shameless self-promotion), because the software is notoriously difficult to get working properly.
Phoenix Rejuvenation Patch - Replaces most of the 3D models in the game with better looking ones. I don't use it, because I like the chibi/SD style, but worth checking out. It deprecates the NPC Reconstruction patch.
APZ Cloud - Absolutely gorgeous.

Not finished, but keep an eye on it:
Team Avalanche's 2D Overhaul - Replaces text, as well as any 2D elements that stand alone and are not applied to 3D objects. There's a prerelease now, that has all the text finished and some magic.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #2 on: 2009-08-25 20:52:10 »
Welcome to qhimm's forums!

The wiki doesn't have a list of mods. It does have tools and patches for you to make your own mods, though.

Ficedula's website is here: http://www.ficedula.co.uk/

He's got a lot of tools. LGPtools is one of the mainly needed ones, but it might be obsoleted soon if Aali continues work on his extractor/compressor.

Most non-graphical mods will edit the flevel.lgp, scene.bin and/or KERNEL.bin/kernel2.bin files (Squall78 and I dominate these files in terms of editors). The graphical ones will likely modify char.lgp and/or magic.lgp. Character portraits are in the menu_xx.lgp file (depending on your language).

Definitely check out dziugo's YAMP and look for my MDef fix on page 7 of that topic.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009-08-25 20:52:50 »
I'd put gjoerulv's hardcore mod in the "strongly consider" bit as well. A lot of people found FF7 too easy and it certainly enhances the game experience; much more so than the graphics mods.

Matt2Tees

• Sauntam/MXster/Machinimatt
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: 2009-09-22 12:25:49 by MXster »

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009-08-25 21:58:31 »
I was under the impression that a grand total of one dead link had been posted... :roll:

Matt2Tees

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009-08-25 22:02:53 »
Edit: Never mind
« Last Edit: 2009-08-25 23:00:40 by MXster »

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009-08-25 22:31:39 »
Two actually Ficedula's website and the site where Aali has uploaded his custom grapic's driver

There are links to all the versions of Aali's driver in that thread, as well as instructions on using it

so plz don't try and be 'cute' with me

:?

Looks like someone's a little touchy  :-(

Matt2Tees

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009-08-25 22:52:21 »
Edit: Never mind
« Last Edit: 2009-09-01 22:27:46 by MXster »

sm0knpurp

« Reply #9 on: 2009-08-25 23:22:45 »
Wow, thanks guys.  Those were some pretty fast responses, which all seem to be nice mods.  If anyone can think of some more let me know I'd appreciate it.

Also, one patch that I believe is necessary which was left out was the chocobo race patch (correct?).

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009-08-25 23:26:30 »
I think it isn't needed any more if you have the custom graphics driver.

Matt2Tees

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009-08-25 23:27:39 »

Yeah, that's correct, the custom driver is possibly the best mod you can get

sm0knpurp

« Reply #12 on: 2009-08-26 00:18:18 »
Thanks again, now I just need the game  :-P

drfeelgud88

• da DOC iz here!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #13 on: 2009-08-26 00:57:53 »
buy off ebay, best bet i'd say and don't download the "ultima edition" becuz its crappy and illegal and no one's gna help u if u mention that on here. i bought mine for like 40 some dollars, platinum edition (don't know what the diff is between that one and the reg pc version but oh well), so yeah, good luck to you and if u got questions, ask, its pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2009-08-26 01:20:52 »
buy off ebay, best bet i'd say and don't download the "ultima edition" becuz its crappy and illegal and no one's gna help u if u mention that on here. i bought mine for like 40 some dollars, platinum edition (don't know what the diff is between that one and the reg pc version but oh well), so yeah, good luck to you and if u got questions, ask, its pretty easy once you get the hang of it.
The platinum edition is the same as the regular version, but with different packaging, and they labeled install as disc 1, and disc 1 as disc 2, etc. No difference whatsoever to the software.

drfeelgud88

• da DOC iz here!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #15 on: 2009-08-26 01:49:06 »
The platinum edition is the same as the regular version, but with different packaging, and they labeled install as disc 1, and disc 1 as disc 2, etc. No difference whatsoever to the software.
ya, i had both and thats the only thing i really noticed from it. also, diff covers and disc designs and thats about it.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2009-08-26 14:24:43 »

Ya know what amazes me? They had all of these different versions of FF7. NTSC-J, NTSC-NA, PAL, International, PC, PC platinum and now PSN, and it seems that they've never bothered to fix the magic defence bug.

BTW:

Bug fix for the PC version

finalfantim

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2009-08-26 17:39:58 »

Im curious if this patch also fixes the 15 fps limit in battles (i do remember a different patch for that but it was crashing randomly)

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2009-08-26 17:42:05 »

Im curious if this patch also fixes the 15 fps limit in battles (i do remember a different patch for that but it was crashing randomly)

I think the limit is set at 30

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2009-08-27 03:02:55 »

Nope, still 15 fps.   Do you have a link for said mod though? (i'm assuming it's one that doesn't simply force 60 fps but actually runs everything nicely)

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2009-08-27 03:04:35 »
i think its supposed to be at 15 fps, Im not sure if the animations would scale framerates, so everything would move at double speed. The animations were also designed in a 15 fps mindset... they're jumpy and chunkey on purpose lol

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2009-08-27 03:07:53 »
i think its supposed to be at 15 fps, Im not sure if the animations would scale framerates, so everything would move at double speed. The animations were also designed in a 15 fps mindset... they're jumpy and chunkey on purpose lol
It is supposed to be 15, but I want to think I remember reading a thread on making it possible to run at 60 fps and looking normal.  Then again, that could have just been something I read about QGears ...

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2009-08-27 03:12:39 »
so what moves smoother then... the camera?

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2009-08-27 03:51:12 »

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2009-08-27 03:56:02 »
so what moves smoother then... the camera?
This is what I was thinking of

Holy crap. That looks so smooth it doesnt even look like the same game