Author Topic: Yuffie successfully converted into FF7  (Read 133637 times)

squeeble

• GOOGLE GODDAMIT!!
    • View Profile
Yuffie successfully converted into FF7
« on: 2007-03-29 08:58:00 »
first off id like to start off buy saying hello to everyone seeing as ive finally registered. Ok so ive been watching these forums for about the past three months using all the patches that've come out. So i became real interested in moding the game myself but the most i got was a bunch of half failed attempts until now. So using kingdom hearts kimera,PCcreator,lgpTools,3dsMax,yaz0r's tools to extract and view the models and the MDLS to .obj converter ive had my first successfull project .:-) Neway here are some pics.

b.t.w tha mangled looking cloud is one of my miserable attempts lol... il finish him... some.. other time

kini

• View Profile
    • open source web
Re: Yuffie successfully converted into FF7
« Reply #1 on: 2007-03-29 09:58:51 »
very nice, woudl love all ther charactors done like that

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007-03-29 15:56:26 »
Wow, excellent work!  If that can be doen with the other characters (Cloud would need a bit more liberal editing, i hate that he's wearing Vinnys cloak =P), it would be awesome indeed =)

Chrisu

• Simply there
    • View Profile
    • Christian's Programs
« Reply #3 on: 2007-03-29 17:02:19 »
Maybe you could release your converted files for the NPC-RCP?

Turc

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007-03-29 18:15:01 »
Are those textures or highly detailed vertex gradient colouring?

Whichever, great job!  8-)

squeeble

• GOOGLE GODDAMIT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007-03-30 03:11:59 »
I've just finished my conversion of Cid. Took me about 4hrs to get to this stage now ive just gotta do alot of tweaking and it should be right.
heres some more pics.

Battle animations seem to all work correctly.

Just need to tweek a few errors out.

Im gonna start on aeris later il show some more pics when im done, and yeah those are textures i just placed them all onto a 512x512 image then resized it to 2048x512 so it would work in PCcreator and so i only had to use one texture slot in the lgp archive wich means i can use the others for weapons im working on replacing.

Psychotic Ninja

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007-03-30 03:20:04 »
nice. now im just wondering r those only 4 battle? or are they changed on the field and other places?

squeeble

• GOOGLE GODDAMIT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007-03-30 03:39:41 »
So far im only planing on making them for battle. Im also planning of doing some of the mosnsters using the monsters from FFX and X-2. The only problem im having is that kimera can't play battle animations so i have to recompile the model in kimera to match the standard battle pose, but i have to run the game to check if all the animations work proply so i end up having to start the the game chek, quit, tweak , wash,rinse,repeat wich can be really tedious.

Psychotic Ninja

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007-03-30 04:10:57 »
also wat r u gunna do about vincent and the other ff7 chars. that rint in kh/kh2?

stormmedia

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007-03-30 04:33:48 »
1337_grim : Well... one day once all the npc are done with the NPC patch .. we will continue doing models (from other files and redo some of the char.lgp because some need to be redone)... and I will probably redo some models in battles so... eventualy ... most of the models will be done ... and redone... even though they are not in any other games it didn't stop us from doing the NPCs in the field hehe so it won'T stop us from redo some models in the battle.lgp either  :wink:.

BTW squeeble : that's a good start here.. keep it up :-).

squeeble

• GOOGLE GODDAMIT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007-03-30 10:06:58 »
Ok last one for the day. Il just tell roughly how i got these models into the game. Firstly i decided not to do aeris yet and went straight to cloud wich if had known at the time how complicated that would be i probably wouldnt have done it lol. Anyway after converting the model into a .obj file i import that into 3dsMax.

Then i delete the peices i dont need and begin cutting out all the segments for the limbs until i have what i need.

Id like to point out that i had to rebuild the top half of his chest and of his right arm because the cape that was draped over him was apart of the chest so when i deleted it i lost alot of the model. Neway i think i did an alright job at rebuilding it :wink: neway here are the finished peices.

Then i use PCcreator to convert all my .3ds peices into .p and also to apply my uv map and turn it into a .tex file. After that laboring proccess is done i extract all of clouds files with lgp and make a seperate folder. I then use kimera and open clouds heirachy file so i can see the whole model. I then place all of the peices where i want then i tweek the sizes and lengths etc. until i have what i want.

Then finally i recompile the battle lgp with the new files and its ready to go.

At the current time im not to worried about how the models work in game because usualy the animations move to quick for you to notice ant gaps in the parts, but in the victory scene they are quiet noticable. This would probly be alot easier if i could see exactly where the bones where in kimera so maybe that could be a future implementation into the program?? Neway thats enough from me for now il get back tommorow with some more models done and maybe a monster.

Borde

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007-03-31 01:05:21 »
Very interesting project squeeble. I think adding some precalculated lighting could be good too (not possible with the current version of Kimera). As for showing the skeleton, it's an easy task. I supose I can add an option to do so in the next version of my program.

squeeble

• GOOGLE GODDAMIT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2007-03-31 03:29:37 »
Is there Anyway you could get kimera to play battle animations so almost all of the editing could be done in kimera??

Midgar

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2007-03-31 03:31:23 »
You have done some amazing work! Its beautiful... ^^

squeeble

• GOOGLE GODDAMIT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2007-03-31 08:24:42 »
Ok well here's some of todays work. I've had to scrap doing aeris for the time being because her dress is in to many parts to look right, unless i sit there for ages making cuts until everythng fits right wich i cant be buggered to do frankly. On the bright side i've converted two battle monsters the cactuar(extremely simple) and master tonberry(overly difficult). Heres a shot of the cactuar.

And one of the tonnberry.

Ingame.

Now i know that works aswell im going to try a summon next that'll probably take me a day of "relaxed" work coz i sit at the computer for to long and my brain starts to fry so im gonna ease up the next few days. Oh and thanks for all the positive comments

Any suggestions on a weird weapon to give one of the characters would be appreciated also.

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2007-03-31 11:49:52 »
Wow you beat me on this one good job!

You could give cloud the keyblade or gunblade if you wanted to i guess.

Borde

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2007-03-31 14:39:33 »
Sorry Squeeble, but I've only been able to find information about decoding the first frame of the animations (thanks to L.Spiro). If someone has already found the way to decode it, I'd be more than glad to hear it and implement it on Kimera.

By the way, nice work (specially with Master Tonbery :-P).
« Last Edit: 2007-03-31 14:41:27 by Borde »

squeeble

• GOOGLE GODDAMIT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2007-03-31 21:58:37 »
Well if you can only decode the first frame would there be anyway to change that first frame so the characters are in a default davinci pose coz i reckon that would help greatly in figuring out wherer the joins are on the models.
« Last Edit: 2007-04-01 05:06:25 by squeeble »

Psychotic Ninja

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2007-04-01 04:26:04 »
man i cant wate to use this mod

sword

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2007-04-01 10:10:55 »
Some very nice work. I hope you releases a mod.

squeeble

• GOOGLE GODDAMIT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2007-04-01 10:53:02 »
Ok ive done alot of experimenting today and ive discovered a few things. First off i said i would try and do shiva and while that is still possible it will take a VERY! long time. you see shivas skeleton file is in .d format and cant be read buy kimera making my life difficult because i cant tweak the peices the way i want to. Secondly is that biturn cant convert the model properly into a .3ds file so max wont read it, so i make it into a .obj file and it converts successfully BUT! all the peices are centered onto the one point meaning i have to pick out every indiviual peice and rebuild shiva :cry: Here is a pic to illustrate my despair....

Shiva Jigsaw

Ok so i figured this out this morning and thought bugger this ill do it later... Moving on i decided to do something else for the time being so i picked sephiroth. Now i first wanted to do this with the KH2 version soon to realize the conversion proccess created a massive normals problem wich i tried working on for about an hr and a half but it was just a rediculous amount of screwed upness, then i loaded up the KH1 version to discover the geometry was almost identical, only The KH2 version has wings on his feet and the face is a bit skinnier. Any way after an extremely long time of working on him i have seuccessfully ported him to the final battle scene. Now the screenshots from leviathan dont do the model much justice so im currently uplaoding a small vid wich il post a link to later.

I have to mention though tha putting the peices of sephiroth through kimera was extremely easy this time. I used to resize everything in pccreator before i saved it to .p and then to kimera where i had to do alot of tweaking. Whereas this time i merely set a battle size and sent it straight to kimera making every peice equal to each other. So im gping to try and do this with every model from herein. Now going back to sephiroth i seem to have made a error with the uv mapping on his wing wich i can fix but id also like to kno if those textures are transperant ingame like they are in leviathan coz i couldnt tell if they were or not in the vid il post later. Meaning if absolute black is transperant i could photoshop the textures so that the white parts on the wing isnt visible. One more thing im also going to convert that into the nibelheim sephiroth wich shouldnt take to long. Anysuggestions on anything are welcome..

Edit here is the clip.. http://rapidshare.com/files/23792438/ff7_2007-04-01_20-09-26-89.mpg I've just gotta fix his hair and his hands look a little weird but this shouldnt take to much to fix. P.S I had to play for like 45 mins just to get that tiny clip , i also wanted to show the modiffied cloud but i forgot to swap the hi res cloud out lol not to mention how slow the video ran when i activated fraps..
« Last Edit: 2007-04-01 10:58:52 by squeeble »

Borde

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2007-04-02 00:06:43 »
That's looking excelent Squeeble. I'd use the original hair though. It's pretty well made already. About the trasparency, keep in mind that FF7 takes as trasparent the first color of the pallete (index 0).

squeeble

• GOOGLE GODDAMIT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2007-04-02 04:09:24 »
Thanks for the info borde and i took your advice and used the original hair and just mapped it with a texture, but now i have the problem that i suck at photo shop and i dont know how to increase the brightness on just the areas i want. But i hav finished the nibelheim sephiroth and i think it turned out pretty well.

Now i have the problem that i realised i have no save file for clouds past so i have no way of testing if the battle animations work. If anyone could send me one i would be very gratefull.

The Skillster

• Loving every Final Fantasy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2007-04-02 13:41:09 »
I can see a problem with texture mapping the characters - the shading is really poor and that the lighting needs to be addressed.

squeeble

• GOOGLE GODDAMIT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2007-04-02 23:41:41 »
Well i've come up with a theory wich i have yet to test in that i place omni lights in the max scene to allow proper lighting and shadows onto the models, and then bake the lighting onto the textures. I remember seeing a tutorial some where on how to do this so as soon as i find it i'll give it a shot. As for the shading im not sure what you mean?