Author Topic: [FF7] Original and Outdated Tutorial - Bootleg Configurator  (Read 1845250 times)

riryoku

• Aim: All Girl FF7
    • View Profile
Re: [Tutorial] Bootleg Edit for the FFVII Remix 2.5.1
« Reply #225 on: 2011-09-12 22:50:39 »
Ahh darn, I didn't get any errors during the installation but something has gone wrong. Either the game immediately crashes, the screen just stays black or once I got to the menu but no movies played and the graphics were badly messed up. Not sure if I did something wrong on my end so I'm gonna reinstall again tomorrow and see if I can get it working.

Whether I get it working or not I'll still take this time to say thanks for all the work you've put into this. It really is great. 8)

NVNiko

• A wannabe nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: 2011-09-12 23:21:20 »
Am I the only one not having issues with this build?

PitBrat

• Change to feed the machine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: 2011-09-13 02:04:01 »
I'm not having any problems with this version!  ;)
I think most of the problems stem from either a missing mod file-- even when it's not installed-- or a specific combination of settings.
So far, I've not been able to recreate the errors.
I totally reworked the mod locating routine, so I have my fingers crossed that the problem is solved.
I'm still working on the issue with paths that contain spaces and non U.S. characters.
It might be awhile before every mod installs under those conditions.
In the mean time, I'm adding the ability to disable certain mods.
At least Bootleg will still finish.

I've focused on improving BFE.
There's now a built in mod list that identifies which mods are missing.
I also added presets that are tested to work.

The black bar at the bottom of battle screens is an issue with Aali's OpenGL driver.
A fix is imminent.  DLPB and Aali are aware of the problem.  They're two of the best modders on the scene.
Just give them some time.  Meanwhile, squint your eyes at the end of battles and you'll hardly notice the black bar.  :evil:

Nightmarish,
I'm not sure what you mean.  Bootleg is already a meld of the best--IMHO-- mods.  I can't repackage the mods because that's a violation of Qhimm rules.

Bootleg basically recreates the files necessary to patch FF7 with the best mods.
Don't close 'ff7_config.cfg' when it opens.  Then you will find .patch folders in the 'bootleg_setup' temp folder.
Same changes are made directly to the FF7 installation folder: flevel.lgp, the mods folder and the movies folder.

No one requested a preview of 0034, so I'll keep working on it for a few more days.

In the meantime, even if you choose not to install a mod, make sure that every single Bootleg supported mod setup file is present.
I don't mean every mod from the big list!  Bootleg supported mods are listed in the Bootleg Readme.
Also, minimize the use of spaces and non U.S. standard characters in path names.
This is the best way to avoid errors and crashes.

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions and beta testing services!
I refer to this forum constantly while I'm working on Bootleg.

vaccine.exe

• View Profile
« Reply #228 on: 2011-09-13 06:45:04 »
The black bar I am getting isn't at the bottom of the screen it appears when the battle begins in the middle of the screen then as the camera zooms in it shrinks and disappears and is gone by the time the characters HP/MP appears. Am I referring to the same black bar? It is present on both my desktop and laptop. Just trying to give as accurate a description as possible so you guys have got something to work with.

riryoku

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: 2011-09-13 10:52:47 »
Tried an installation using all the default options. The game runs now however there are no movies, the music plays twice about a second apart and the graphics are screwy. Especially on the world map, the textures don't load at all so I just get black with EXTE scrawled all over, even over the chocobo ranch. I'm obviously missing something simple if the default doesn't even install correctly. I'll keep trying! ::)

Hm I wonder if I'm doing everything correctly: All the mods, bootleg stuff and FF7 zip in one folder, a clean install of FF7, run bootleg then BFE, choose options and direct all the installers to the path the bootleg tells you to?

Also you say the config file is supposed to open during the install? It never opens for me. When I change it to 1280x960 and turn fullscreen off after the install, the game doesn't take notice of my changes. And the final size of my FF7 folder is 5.76gb when you say it should be 9gb.

Edit: Oh yeah and when I run BFE I get Application1 isn't working but everything still seems to run smoothly after that so I forgot about this error. Is this a problem?
« Last Edit: 2011-09-13 11:05:06 by riryoku »

UGerstl

• Analyst and Backup-Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: 2011-09-13 11:16:21 »
@vaccine.exe: Please can you make a video with Fraps >Click me< and upload it onto YouTube.

@riryoku:
  • Please read this >Click me< posting from me.

• You wrote: ...run bootleg then BFE...
    "BFE.exe" starts "Bootleg.exe", not you.

• Do you have an ATI graphics card (dxdiag.exe => Display) ?

• Please make a request of the bootleg preview (0034) to PitBrat.
    Because there are a lot of changes (read his last post >Click me<).
    Hopefully this version helps you.
« Last Edit: 2012-04-05 08:22:34 by UGerstl »

PitBrat

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: 2011-09-13 15:45:58 »
riryoku,
Your FF7 image (FF7.ZIP) is most likely incomplete.
Don't use the 'FF7 Install Image' at all.  That's an optional, advanced setting to speed up subsequent installations.
The errors you describe are most likely due to files missing from the FF7.zip you created.
Instead, do a full install of Final Fantasy VII from the setup discs.
Then run BFE.exe and configure the options.
Leave the 'FF7 Install Image' box empty.
Leave the 'Temporary Files' box at the default setting.
Set 'Destination Location' to the folder where FF7 is fully installed.
Set 'Mod Source' to the folder that contains the mod setup files.
If Bootleg.exe and BFE.exe are in the same folder, then leave the 'Bootleg.exe Location' box at the default setting.
Now click 'Run Bootleg' to start Bootleg.

The application error is possibly due to a missing or outdated .NET framework.
BFE.exe is written in Visual Basic 2010.  You'll need to install the .NET framework to run BFE.exe.
Use Windows Update to install the necessary .NET framework.

vaccine.exe,
I'm not familiar with the black bar issue you describe.  Are you running FF7 in a window?
Try running at the full screen resolution 1280x960 for better compatibility with Aali's OpenGL driver.

riryoku

• View Profile
« Reply #232 on: 2011-09-13 18:26:52 »
Thanks a lot for the advice.

While I was waiting I manually installed all of the mods I was wanting but I'd like at some point to try again with the advice both of you have given and try to get this working so you can say the installer runs perfectly for yet another person. ;) I should hope to have time to try again within a week.

Keep up the great work PitBrat!!

F|at|ine____

• View Profile
« Reply #233 on: 2011-09-14 02:40:33 »
I been playing with no issues until now...I am at the part where u go to the gold saucer to retrieve the keystone, and the train is broke down so you stay at the hotel...right when I go on a date with Aerith and perform some play it crashes....done it 3 times now APP Log say ERROR unhandled exception....it crashes and asks to perform a emergency save file..when I installed bootleg I decided to use bootleg+grimmey FMV because imo I thought it was better...you think that might be it? any ideas? I'm hooked again! haven't played in like 10 years! I wanna keep playing! =[

PitBrat

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: 2011-09-14 06:51:42 »
I've identified the cause of the crash before the theater sequence begins.
The problem is the New SoundFX.  The New SoundFX crash the game!
Uncheck the 'New SoundFX' option when installing Bootleg.
To fix the problem without reinstalling, restore these files from the install cd-rom:
    .\data\sound\audio.dat
    .\data\sound\audio.fmt

When I identify the offending sound, I'll remove it from the patch.

WARNING: Do not use the sound 438-applause.wav because the game crashes during the theater scene in the Golden Saucer.

438-applause.wav is the offending sample.  I'm not entirely sure why it's broken.  The format is correct.
I adjusted the length to match the original exactly, and now it works.

The New SoundFX crash is fixed in Bootleg0034.
I also updated the tutorial.

« Last Edit: 2011-09-14 17:30:03 by PitBrat »

F|at|ine____

• View Profile
« Reply #235 on: 2011-09-14 07:29:56 »
awww man I like the new sound effects! can I replace the new ones with the old ones and get past the theater segment and save then revert back to the new sound fx?

vaccine.exe

• View Profile
« Reply #236 on: 2011-09-14 07:51:35 »
@Riry

I got that "Windows Application1 stopped working" error also but it was resolved thusly:

1: Extract bootleg
2: Place BFE+Pics+Bootleg.exe in your mods folder

Once I placed the "Pics" folder in the mods folder it resolved the error.

1280x960 @ fullscreen did not resolve the black bar issue im having. I am going to try a fresh run and not use the FF7.zip method. 

vaccine.exe

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: 2011-09-14 09:05:10 »
Nope clean install and not using FF7.zip did not resolve the black bar issue.

UGerstl

• View Profile
« Reply #238 on: 2011-09-14 17:18:21 »
@vaccine.exe: (2nd try) Please can you make a video with Fraps >Click me< and upload it onto YouTube.

Post your "ff7_opengl.cfg" and "APP.LOG" files (located in the FF7 main directory):

Hit the # button
   Now you see this [ code ][ /code ]   (i have added some spaces)
   Put the data of your "ff7_opengl.cfg" file between ][

Hit the # button again
   Now you see this [ code ][ /code ]   (i have added some spaces)
   Put the data of your "APP.LOG" file between ][
« Last Edit: 2012-04-05 08:22:05 by UGerstl »

PitBrat

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: 2011-09-14 18:22:49 »
DOWNLOAD Bootleg 0034 with BFE

Bootleg 0034 is now available.
Most of the updates are under the hood.

New in .0034
    Added Laptop Keyboard Input
    Added Field Art Options: Blackfan and SL1982 without FacePalmer, No Field Art
    Added Save Point Option: No Change
    Added Limit Texture Option: No Change
    Updated Path Finding
    Updated FacePalmer Installation
    +Fixed New SoundFX Crash at Gold Saucer Event Theater

New in BFE
    Added Presets
    Added About Info
    Added Mod List
    Added Support for Multiple Mod Paths
    Added Image Resources to Executable

Paths with spaces and non U.S. characters should now work-- they work on my system, but who knows.
Certain missing mods and configuration combinations no longer result in crashes and erroneous missing mod warnings.

Let me know how this one works for y'all!

Thanks for sticking with Bootleg.

UGerstl

• View Profile
« Reply #240 on: 2011-09-14 18:45:45 »
Hi PitBrat,

what happens when you don't select the "Team Avalanche HR" option (BFE.exe) ?
Is the Low Res version installed instead ?
If not, this should be an option.
   Team Avalanche Releases   http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=9151.0
   Low Res Beta 9                   http://www.megaupload.com/?d=G08FOKBM

Why, because the High Res version is very CPU intensive.
   Tested on this system:
  • CPU:                 Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T9400 (2 cores running at 2.53 GHz)
  • Memory:           4096 MB
  • Graphic Card:   NVIDIA GeForce 9650M GT, 1024 MB DDR2
                             Driver revision: 258.96 (old i know)
  • Sound Card:     Realtek High Definition Audio (onboard sound card)
  • OS:                   Windows 7 Home Premium (german), 64-bit (Service Pack 1 + all Updates)
                             DirectX-Version: 11.0
  • Resolution:       Windowed   =   640x480
    of the Game      Fullscreen    = 1280x960

We should consider to use this commands when starting FF7: 

start /min              /D "[FF7]\FF7Music" FF7Music.exe
   start /wait /affinity 3 /D "[FF7]"          ff7.exe
   taskkill /im FF7Music.exe

/affinity 3 = use two cores if available

I don't know if Covarr can implement that in the "launcher.exe".

My Virus-Checker (Avira AntiVir Personal) complains this files:

Multi DLL Loader (put DLLs in LOADR folder).zip
   FF7anyCD DLL version.zip

I know that is an False-Positive alarm.
Could this explain the problems some users have to install the Bootleg ?

Edit: I read your newest "Bootleg_Readme.txt".
        ...Please disable any virus scanning software before running the Bootleg Edit...
« Last Edit: 2011-09-14 20:37:15 by UGerstl »

PitBrat

• View Profile
« Reply #241 on: 2011-09-14 23:31:07 »
Unchecking the Avalanche HR box only disables the Avalanche installer.  The version of Avalanche included in the Remix is still installed.  Systems assembled within the last ten years should run the hi res version without problems.  If the system can't run the hi res version of Avalanche, then it definitely won't run FacePalmer or the Magochocobo and Felix Leonhart mods.   If I receive enough requests, I'll consider adding support for lo res Avalanche.

To significantly shorten the load time of battle scenes, uncheck the box next to 'Battle Scenes as LGP.'  The textures are already in the mods folder.  I include this option because some systems have trouble using textures from the mods folder.

Creating a new launcher is easy enough.   But I recall reading somewhere that multiple cores are disabled to prevent problems running FF7.  Unfortunately I don't recall the specifics.  Would this actually increase the game performance?  If someone will test to make sure the game functions correctly under these conditions on a variety of systems, I'll incorporate the changes.

I have to run FF7 in compatibility mode on my system or the game crashes almost immediately.

These files are known to generate false positives in virus scanning software:
   Multi DLL Loader (put DLLs in LOADR folder).zip
   FF7anyCD DLL version.zip

Bootleg supports only 'FF7anyCD DLL version.zip' but it's not a required file.  Bootleg installs without the file, even when the 'Any CD Loader' option is checked.  It's a non essential convenience that enables the game to run without the need to switch discs.  I always use it and it has caused no harm.
I neither use nor support 'Multi DLL Loader (put DLLs in LOADR folder).zip.'  It's only in the list for completeness.

Bootleg runs fine with virus software enabled.  The authors of some of the supported mods-- FF7Music and Menu Overhaul-- suggest disabling virus scanning software before installation.  Any virus scanner worth its salt will work without an hitch.

I'm still working at implementing many of your other suggestions.
Thanks for your ideas!
More . . . more . . . more . . .

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: 2011-09-15 00:56:21 »
Just a FYI pitbratt, the low res version of avalanche is not really needed anymore as Aali's driver handles scaling so much better now. The low res version does not provide any performance improvements either.

I do have to say that what you have done with this is amazing. And the help you provide to the members around here is greatly appreciated. Keep it up!  ;D

killuminati777

• View Profile
« Reply #243 on: 2011-09-15 05:22:26 »
First of all i wanna thank the whole community for not just keeping this legacy alive, but rather making it even better.
I spent the last 3 days in this forum, and thank you "pit" for all the work you've done and still do, lol.
I remember how overwhelmed i was back in the days by all this stuff. But you finally made it easy for newcomers
like me.

Can't wait to install it. Just a quick question:

I'm on a Sony Vaio Laptop with a ATI graphics card. and i think i read somewhere that it may cause problems with ATI cards?

quote: Try running at the full screen resolution 1280x960 for better compatibility with Aali's OpenGL driver.
I'm on a Sony Vaio Laptop with a resolution of 1600x900 - Since im below 960, does that mean i cant run it at full screen?
And what resolution settings should i use?

And thanks again for all the work you've done, it's highly appreciated.
Just a few last words to describe this bootleg: "Pure Awesomeness, Epicness, God-Like"

Ok, nuff said and sorry for being a lil offtopic, i just felt like you deserve it.

UGerstl

• View Profile
« Reply #244 on: 2011-09-15 13:08:41 »
Welcome killuminati777,

Q: I'm on a Sony Vaio Laptop with a ATI graphics card.
     And i think i read somewhere that it may cause problems with ATI cards?

A: Important:  If you are using an ATI graphics card or your game graphics look damaged, then edit
                        the config file "ff7_opengl.cfg" (which can be found in your FF7 main directory) with
                        any text editor (notepad, ...) and check these lines:

use_shaders       = no
            compress_textures = no

Standard FF7 main directory:

Windows 32 bit: C:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc\Final Fantasy VII
                           Windows 64 bit: C:\Program Files (x86)\Square Soft, Inc\Final Fantasy VII

Q: ... And what resolution settings should i use?

A: window_size_x   = 1280
  window_size_y   = 900
  preserve_aspect = yes   <=
  fullscreen      = yes   <=

Read also this topic: >Please help me installing FF7+Bootleg <

Greetings from Germany

killuminati777

• View Profile
« Reply #245 on: 2011-09-15 15:10:09 »
Thank you very much, im going to download all the mods and do a clean install tonight.
This forum is full of humble and helpful people, awesome.

And thanks again, it's like christmas, even better :D

PitBrat

• View Profile
« Reply #246 on: 2011-09-15 15:21:40 »
I've been researching the everything is made of light shader issue with NVIDIA cards.
I found the main.frag and main.frag shaders on the Team Facial web site.
The original shaders contain much more code than the ones from Aali's OpenGL driver.
I replaced the shaders in .\shaders\nolight with these and the game looks fine.

EDIT:
Now that I look more closely, these are identical to the files in the .\shaders folder.
It's the same solution I already use:
    Copy and replace main.vert and main.frag from .\shaders\ into .\shaders\nolight

MAIN.VERT
Code: [Select]
uniform vec3 lights_position[MAX_LIGHTS];

uniform bool normal_map;
uniform int vertextype;
uniform bool fb_texture;
uniform int blend_mode;

uniform mat4 d3dprojection_matrix;
uniform mat4 d3dviewport_matrix;

varying vec3 eye_vector;

varying vec4 normal_light_vector[MAX_LIGHTS];
varying vec3 light_reflection[MAX_LIGHTS];

varying mat3 tbn_matrix;

attribute vec3 tangent;
attribute vec3 binormal;

void main()
{
vec4 pos = gl_Vertex;

gl_FrontColor.rgba = gl_Color.bgra;

// TLVERTEX
if(vertextype == 3)
{
pos.w = 1.0 / pos.w;
pos.xyz *= pos.w;
pos = gl_ProjectionMatrix * pos;
}
// LVERTEX and VERTEX
else
{
pos = d3dviewport_matrix * d3dprojection_matrix * gl_ModelViewMatrix * pos;

if(vertextype == 1)
{
int i;

eye_vector = vec3(gl_ModelViewMatrix * gl_Vertex);

if(normal_map) tbn_matrix = mat3(normalize(gl_NormalMatrix * tangent), normalize(gl_NormalMatrix * binormal), normalize(gl_NormalMatrix * gl_Normal));
else tbn_matrix[2] = normalize(gl_NormalMatrix * gl_Normal);

for(i = 0; i < MAX_LIGHTS; i++)
{
vec3 light_vector = vec3(lights_position[i] - eye_vector);
normal_light_vector[i].xyz = normalize(light_vector);

if(!normal_map) light_reflection[i] = reflect(normal_light_vector[i].xyz, tbn_matrix[2]);

normal_light_vector[i].w = length(light_vector);
}
}

if(gl_FrontColor.a > 0.5) gl_FrontColor.a = 0.5;
}

// BLEND_NONE
if(blend_mode == 4) gl_FrontColor.a = 1.0;
// BLEND_25P
else if(blend_mode == 3) gl_FrontColor.a = 0.25;

gl_TexCoord[0] = gl_MultiTexCoord0;

if(fb_texture) gl_TexCoord[0].t = 1.0 - gl_TexCoord[0].t;

gl_Position = pos;
}

MAIN.FRAG
Code: [Select]
uniform bool lights_active[MAX_LIGHTS];
uniform vec3 lights_ambient[MAX_LIGHTS];
uniform vec3 lights_diffuse[MAX_LIGHTS];
uniform vec3 lights_specular[MAX_LIGHTS];
uniform vec3 lights_spotdir[MAX_LIGHTS];
uniform float lights_spotexp[MAX_LIGHTS];
uniform float lights_spotcutoff[MAX_LIGHTS];
uniform vec3 lights_att[MAX_LIGHTS];

struct material
{
bool active;
vec3 emission;
vec3 diffuse;
vec3 specular;
float shininess;
};

uniform material current_material;

uniform int vertextype;

uniform sampler2D tex;
uniform sampler2D nmap;
uniform sampler2D smap;
uniform bool normal_map;
uniform bool specular_map;
uniform bool texture;
uniform bool fb_texture;

varying vec3 eye_vector;

varying vec4 normal_light_vector[MAX_LIGHTS];
varying vec3 light_reflection[MAX_LIGHTS];

varying mat3 tbn_matrix;

void main()
{
vec4 color = gl_Color;
vec4 texture_color;
vec3 normal;

if(normal_map)
{
vec3 tex_normal = vec3(texture2D(nmap, gl_TexCoord[0].st)) * 2.0 - 1.0;
normal = normalize(tbn_matrix * tex_normal);
}
else normal = normalize(tbn_matrix[2]);

if(texture)
{
texture_color = texture2D(tex, gl_TexCoord[0].st);

if(fb_texture && texture_color.rgb == vec3(0.0, 0.0, 0.0)) discard;

if(texture_color.a == 0.0) discard;

color *= texture_color;
}

if(vertextype == 1)
{
int i;
vec3 mat_emission;
vec3 mat_diffuse;
vec3 mat_specular;
float mat_shininess;

if(current_material.active)
{
mat_emission = current_material.emission;
mat_diffuse = current_material.diffuse;
mat_specular = current_material.specular;
mat_shininess = current_material.shininess;
}
else
{
mat_emission = vec3(0.0, 0.0, 0.0);
mat_diffuse = gl_Color.rgb;
mat_specular = vec3(0.4, 0.4, 0.4);
mat_shininess = 8.0;
}

if(texture) mat_diffuse *= texture_color.rgb;

if(specular_map) mat_specular = vec3(texture2D(smap, gl_TexCoord[0].st));

color.rgb = mat_emission;

for(i = 0; i < MAX_LIGHTS; i++)
{
if(lights_active[i])
{
vec3 light_vector = normalize(normal_light_vector[i].xyz);

float dist = normal_light_vector[i].w;
float att = 1.0 / (lights_att[i].x + lights_att[i].y * dist + lights_att[i].z * dist * dist);;
vec3 ambient = lights_ambient[i] * mat_diffuse;

float lambert_term = clamp(dot(normal, light_vector), 0.0, 1.0);
vec3 diffuse = lambert_term * lights_diffuse[i] * mat_diffuse;

vec3 reflection = normal_map ? reflect(light_vector, normal) : normalize(light_reflection[i]);

float rdoteye = clamp(dot(reflection, normalize(eye_vector)), 0.0, 1.0);
vec3 specular = lights_specular[i] * mat_specular * pow(rdoteye, mat_shininess);

color.rgb += att * (ambient + diffuse + specular);
}
}
}

gl_FragColor = color;
}

I still have a lot to learn about shaders.
I'm still not completely sure of the purpose the nolight shaders serve.
« Last Edit: 2011-09-15 19:06:52 by PitBrat »

killuminati777

• View Profile
« Reply #247 on: 2011-09-15 15:55:21 »
I just wanna point something out real quick. The FacePalmer.zip link = 20 files named FacePalmer.zip.001 - 020 when it's supposed to be just 1 file?
The link to the 20 Facepalmer.rar files seems to be ok, i also noticed that the menu overhaul project mod file is named M003.rar, but in the bootleg mods.htm
its named m003.rar, and i think this might be confusing for newcomers. I've read your post where you said you dont need both facepalmer versions, the rar files would be enough, but this could still confuse other newcomers, just saying.

« Last Edit: 2011-09-15 16:00:52 by killuminati777 »

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: 2011-09-15 16:23:02 »
facepalmer.001 through to 020 is a Multipart archive, Mulitpart archives are usually made to make uploading/downloading easier.

open .001 with Winrar or 7zip and it'll extract the full contents in one go.

UGerstl

• View Profile
« Reply #249 on: 2011-09-15 16:32:41 »
@killuminati777: If you want to know more about the "FacePalmer".zip/.rar thing,
                           then read my postings:

>FacePalmer.zip.001 - 020<     obsolete
                              >FacePalmer.part01 - 20.rarup-to-date

@DragonNinja: Sorry, but i used HJSplit for "FacePalmer.zip.001 - 020".

To rejoin the files (*.001-*.020 => FacePalmer.zip) you can use either HJSplit
                         (Join-Button) or JDownloader (Addons->HJSplit  <= must be activated in
                         Setup->Addons).