Author Topic: FFVIII Install Issue  (Read 9269 times)

lukehei

FFVIII Install Issue
« on: 2010-05-25 20:27:56 »
G'day!
So I recently discovered that there was a PC version of FFVIII, and was immediately glad that I had an eBay account.
However, now trying to actually install the game (D:! Vista, why must you wound me so?), I encounter a problem. I have the Setup.exe file set to run in 256 colors, in 640*480 screen resolution, and in compatibility mode for 98/ME. When I actually run it, though, the squaresoft splash comes up, and the little InstallShield loader in the bottom right, also. That's all dandy. Except that the InstallShield loader gets to 99% and... stops. Sits there. Does nothing.
Eventually, the setup program closes.

So... uh... Any ideas? (:

My thanks.

therage800

• View Profile
    • TheRage800
Re: FFVIII Install Issue
« Reply #1 on: 2010-05-25 20:29:59 »
Try running it as an administrator.

bucky699

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010-05-25 23:41:32 »
G'day!
So I recently discovered that there was a PC version of FFVIII, and was immediately glad that I had an eBay account.
However, now trying to actually install the game (D:! Vista, why must you wound me so?), I encounter a problem. I have the Setup.exe file set to run in 256 colors, in 640*480 screen resolution, and in compatibility mode for 98/ME. When I actually run it, though, the squaresoft splash comes up, and the little InstallShield loader in the bottom right, also. That's all dandy. Except that the InstallShield loader gets to 99% and... stops. Sits there. Does nothing.
Eventually, the setup program closes.

So... uh... Any ideas? (:

My thanks.

Get windows 7 lol seriously though run as admin should do the trick, if that dont work try running the compatability for XP Sp3 that seems to work well for the FF7 exes for me so might work well for the setup as well

lukehei

« Reply #3 on: 2010-05-26 10:00:29 »
No dice for both the administrator/98 and administrator/XP.

And I actually like vista (:. It's pretty. I don't think I'm ready to make the move to 7 yet. I might go open source on my next computer, though  :P

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010-05-26 10:09:11 »
i haven't ever had this problem with ff8 but i have with similar installers, there are a few different causes, these can usually be fixed by doing 1 of the following
1 - running in safe mode
2 - copy all files to the hard drive and try installing from there (if files fail to copy you more then likely have a corrupt CD)
3 - get a working install shield program (any program or game from before 2002 should work fine) and replace the setup.exe (you will need to copy the files to the hard drive for this so if you already did the previous step it should be easy) from FF8 with the working one and then try running it.

one of these should fix it, please let me know how you get on.

bucky699

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010-05-26 23:28:15 »
Try imaging the disk with an ISO program like winiso or Alcahol 120% then mount and install with Daemon tools as Kranmer says your disk might have been damaged, was it second hand?

nikfrozty

• Cloud kicks Sephiroth's Butt Anytime
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010-05-27 08:20:20 »
If you do an image file and it stops and not goes through 100% its likely to be damaged. That's what I was trying to do with my 2nd disk so I can't play my ff8 since its destroyed. Bummed :cry:

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010-05-27 08:31:16 »
If you do an image file and it stops and not goes through 100% its likely to be damaged. That's what I was trying to do with my 2nd disk so I can't play my ff8 since its destroyed. Bummed :cry:

even if your second disc is damaged it may still be possible to fix the problem, as long as the file DISK2.PAK isn't corrupt its very possible, the reason for this is because the field files are the same on each disc,
If this is the case what you need to do is make a image with error skip on then open the ISO and replace the field files with ones from a different disc.

nikfrozty

• Cloud kicks Sephiroth's Butt Anytime
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010-05-27 09:29:11 »
I don't know that. Hmm but tough luck that's the biggest file in the disc right?? Damn that's the file I don't finish with making iso. Hmm try what kranmer said and see if your disk2.pak is clean.

lukehei

« Reply #9 on: 2010-05-29 04:22:25 »
... :D. Copying all of the files to my hard drive and running the setup worked. I totally owe you guys for the hours of awesomeness to follow. My thanks!