Author Topic: [PSX/PC] KERNEL.BIN editor - WallMarket (v1.4.5)  (Read 703974 times)

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
Wall Market, FFVII KERNEL.BIN editor
« Reply #175 on: 2008-12-06 04:18:48 »
System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Die Datei E:\Rollenspiele\Final Fantasy VII\data\kernel\KERNEL2.BIN17 wurde nicht gefunden.

I think I mentioned this in the readme, but I may not have. WM creates the little files in the same directory that the KERNEL.BIN file is. Therefore, you cannot open this in a place where file access is read-only, such as a CD image. Copy the file to a directory on your hard drive and open the kernel from there.
Also, that error message and your code copy don't match. It looks like you're opening the kernel.bin from the PSX data in the picture. Why is it looking for kernel2.anything? That's weird since it shouldn't do anything kernel2.bin related if it doesn't find a kernel2.bin file in the same directory. Did you make a kernel2.bin and try to open that?

How come people are getting errors on things that I have no control to fix? :(

Jonnylossus

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: 2008-12-06 09:24:20 »
I did open the kernel.bin from the HDD. I extracted the files to my pc, created a folder and put all of the files inside. Then i modified the kernel.bin and injected it to the old image.

I was opening the PSX kernel.bin, since i wanted to try that with my PSX version too. =p

No, i didn't make a kernel2.bin, i just tried to open my kernel.bin

Enoehttonmi

« Reply #177 on: 2008-12-07 12:44:43 »
Hi, maybe I'm wrong but you forgot about one attack and it's Odin's Gaunge Lance. Sors if I said something silly, I'm noob afterall! :-P

Armorvil

• Working on : FFVII Total Grudge
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: 2008-12-07 13:05:27 »
Hi, maybe I'm wrong but you forgot about one attack and it's Odin's Gaunge Lance. Sors if I said something silly, I'm noob afterall! :-P

It's there. It's attack ID #97.

Enoehttonmi

« Reply #179 on: 2008-12-07 13:12:23 »
Oh...Ooops!  :-D :roll:

burnloungaz

• www.burnloungaz.synthasite.com
    • View Profile
    • Burnloungaz's site
« Reply #180 on: 2008-12-07 15:28:25 »
hey im looking for a hex editor that allows me to type for example 50 for an ID and actually have that instead of having to type 16 to get 22. any one know of any good freeware that allows that?

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #181 on: 2008-12-08 15:38:32 »
You know how you go to the movies sometimes and see teasers for movies that you already know are going to come out, but they don't tell you want the movie's about? This is kinda like that.
« Last Edit: 2008-12-08 19:29:39 by NFITC1 »

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: 2008-12-08 15:54:51 »
Looking good!

Now, I wonder what those missing flags are...

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #183 on: 2008-12-08 16:10:45 »
Looking good!

Now, I wonder what those missing flags are...

I'm going to bet that those other flags correspond to the first eight statuses. Death, Near-Death, Sleep, Poison, Sadness, Fury, Confusion, Silence. However, since only Sadness and Fury do NOT get healed at the end of battle they are the ones that get saved. Probably if these other flags are turned on they'd take effect at the beginning of the next battle, but they'd be cured at the end of it anyway. It'd be cruel to have a character start out dead, wouldn't it? :evil: Especially if it were Cloud or Aeris. Instant Game Over at the beginning or if you mess up pushing the barrels. :D

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: 2008-12-08 16:29:54 »
Either that, or the makers planned to have some other status changes remain after battle and later decided that only fury or sadness would stay. I'll have a look at those flags tonight.

UPDATE: I put 01h (death) and 08h (poison) in there and nothing happened, but fury and sadness worked as usual. I'll try a few more things later.
« Last Edit: 2008-12-08 17:08:29 by Leighos Kudistos Megistos »

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #185 on: 2008-12-08 21:16:26 »
Well, I just noticed one thing. The thing I have marked as portrait is NOT portrait. I'm not really sure what it is. There are a few things I noticed about it.

1. If it's duplicated, the first person to have it will be not in battle. The HP and MP will go to 0 although the character won't be "dead" and the other two characters will perform the battle as if the duped character wasn't there.
2. It has something to do with limit bar. If the numbers are swapped with another character then their limit bars will swap IN BATTLE, but not in the menu.
  2a. Extending this line of thought, it MAY affect limits learned and times limits have been used.
  2b. Might also affect number of kills, but I haven't tested either of these yet.
3. It doesn't affect battle names, equipment, materia, stats, or the limits themselves.
4. The characters look the same with any value so it's not battle model.
5. Every character has a unique value at this location.

I have no idea what this is. It's almost like character ID rather than portrait (which I think is determined in the menu files rather than the kernel). But since the equipment and materia doesn't change I can't say for sure.

I tested this out by switching Tifa and Aeris's values at this location in the save games.

Akari

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: 2008-12-09 03:49:59 »
Well, I just noticed one thing. The thing I have marked as portrait is NOT portrait. I'm not really sure what it is. There are a few things I noticed about it.

1. If it's duplicated, the first person to have it will be not in battle. The HP and MP will go to 0 although the character won't be "dead" and the other two characters will perform the battle as if the duped character wasn't there.
2. It has something to do with limit bar. If the numbers are swapped with another character then their limit bars will swap IN BATTLE, but not in the menu.
  2a. Extending this line of thought, it MAY affect limits learned and times limits have been used.
  2b. Might also affect number of kills, but I haven't tested either of these yet.
3. It doesn't affect battle names, equipment, materia, stats, or the limits themselves.
4. The characters look the same with any value so it's not battle model.
5. Every character has a unique value at this location.

I have no idea what this is. It's almost like character ID rather than portrait (which I think is determined in the menu files rather than the kernel). But since the equipment and materia doesn't change I can't say for sure.

I tested this out by switching Tifa and Aeris's values at this location in the save games.

This is character ID. No more no less.
Sometimes ffvii search this as id, sometimes it use real index. In ffvii a lot of things duplicated.

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #187 on: 2008-12-09 13:33:30 »
This is character ID. No more no less.
Sometimes ffvii search this as id, sometimes it use real index. In ffvii a lot of things duplicated.

I had suspected this for a while. The only reason I thought it was portrait was because I didn't see that particular data stored anywhere else. Oh well, I guess it will stay "Character ID" there instead of "Portrait". That's sad because I wanted Cloud to have a Chocobo portrait. :)

EDIT: I believe v1.1 is "ready". I'm waiting to hear back from someone on how to make the executable file smaller and remove that debuging text that Jonnylossus got. Everything should be ready to be released with that exception.
« Last Edit: 2008-12-09 20:07:19 by NFITC1 »

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: 2008-12-09 19:32:52 »
I noticed that the "adjusted max" for HP and MP in the screenshots is 65535, and wondered whether this would cause any problems. I seem to remember reading somewhere on this forum that this value is signed, and the maximum is 32767. I could be wrong.

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #189 on: 2008-12-09 20:09:43 »
I noticed that the "adjusted max" for HP and MP in the screenshots is 65535, and wondered whether this would cause any problems. I seem to remember reading somewhere on this forum that this value is signed, and the maximum is 32767. I could be wrong.

Yes, but that's technically NULL for FFVII. The readme's going to say that a lot of those fields will be a "Use at your own risk" basis. :) I don't think those adjusted maxes will alter anything. Since they're all NULL we can reasonably assume that the game engine recalculates it before the game actually starts.

I also just noticed another thing the game ignores. Needed EXP is calculated on a level up basis. The needed experience for Cloud to get to level 7 is actually wrong in the initial data. It's easy to not notice if you don't look too hard at the "win battle" screen. It states fairly clearly that Cloud needs 35 EXP to level, yet the first battle gives him 32 and he still levels (because he really only requires 6 EXP to get to level 7). Also it seems to recalculate his level when the win screen comes up. I set Cloud's level to 4 (which he DID start at) but left his experience at 610. When he gained a level he DID go up at least 3 levels (His Dexterity increased from 6 to 11 after that first battle) and the "Needed EXP to level" was calculated correctly. So level is calculated solely on experience (Also caught/fixed an error that's been around since the first pre-beta that no one noticed).
Heh. The Level Progress is actually between 0-64 (maybe 63). Set higher than that and it creates a "negative" bar beyond where the bar should end. :D Doesn't affect anything else so WM won't enforce any restrictions on it.
Man, that 2 minute intro movie gets old fast. :(
« Last Edit: 2008-12-10 15:10:25 by NFITC1 »

burnloungaz

• www.burnloungaz.synthasite.com
    • View Profile
    • Burnloungaz's site
« Reply #190 on: 2008-12-10 17:59:30 »
wow wonderful update! now i can start the project i wanted to do. yay.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: 2008-12-10 18:15:25 »

Can't you use GyptInstant from dziugo's YAMP and skip the opening movie with Ctrl+S? I'm having a little trouble with playing movies on my new machine, which has actually come in handy for when I try things out with kernel.BIN3; it means that I can double click on my ff7 shortcut and be playing within 30 seconds :-)

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #192 on: 2008-12-10 18:29:52 »

Can't you use GyptInstant from dziugo's YAMP and skip the opening movie with Ctrl+S? I'm having a little trouble with playing movies on my new machine, which has actually come in handy for when I try things out with kernel.BIN3; it means that I can double click on my ff7 shortcut and be playing within 30 seconds :-)

I'm using the Windowed Patch so the patcher doesn't work at the moment. I'm too lazy to get a fresh 1.02 and re-patch everything.

Speaking of the Windowed Patch, it doesn't play the movies correctly. There's a large vertical gap starting at the middle of the window. It doesn't block the video, but it does displace it. It's like several columns of pixels in the video were just shoved aside.

EDIT: I have successfully created a GZip file without using GZip.exe!...except the CRC was wrong. That is fixable if I can figure out how to calculate it (I think I'm close). That's the LAST step in getting this thing independent on GZip.exe. However, now it will need zlib1.dll, which is smaller than the gzip.exe and cygwin1.dll that are packaged in there now and actually native to a Win32 API. This makes me very happy! :D
« Last Edit: 2008-12-13 01:29:41 by NFITC1 »

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: 2008-12-13 20:36:19 »
I've noticed that the materia display on the Initial Data/Character Data screen is a little bit messed up, but it's only cosmetic.

In other news, I've used WallMarket to make some new materia and spells!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=CMuGaWnl0ks

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #194 on: 2008-12-13 21:09:31 »
I've noticed that the materia display on the Initial Data/Character Data screen is a little bit messed up, but it's only cosmetic.

What about the Character data is messed up? Is it the materias and the links? If that's the case I'm gonna have to say live with it because there's little/nothing I can do about it.

And I'd switch Aero2's and Aero3's animations, but I'm glad there are finally wind and water attacks. :)

I also determined that the last two FFs in Kernel.bin2 are NOT linked to the empty slots in the attack menu. As far as I can tell they are ignored completely.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: 2008-12-13 21:13:10 »
Quote from: NTIFC1
What about the Character data is messed up? Is it the materias and the links? If that's the case I'm gonna have to say live with it because there's little/nothing I can do about it.

Yes, the coloured orbs do not line up completely with the slots and I can't see the links, but it's not a big problem.

And I'd switch Aero2's and Aero3's animations, but I'm glad there are finally wind and water attacks.

The Aero2 animation does look a little more dramatic, but the Aero3 animation is actually from an enemy attack called Aero3 (Rapps and Wind Wing use it). By the way, did you notice the music I used? ;-)

P.S.

If anyone wants to know how to use enemy attack animations for player spells, read this.
« Last Edit: 2008-12-13 22:19:18 by Leighos Kudistos Megistos »

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #196 on: 2008-12-14 00:18:14 »

Yes, the coloured orbs do not line up completely with the slots and I can't see the links, but it's not a big problem.

That's what I figured. It looks fine on 96 DPI, but higher than that makes the links small and lower will make the links too big. Really, you just need to see if there's a link there at all. The background image (the links) don't stretch like the foreground image does. At least I don't think it does. I'll try that out later.

The music's appropriate if the viewer knows why you chose that. You should mention it in your description. ;)

Oh yes. I managed to create a 100% accurate GZip file!! I was applying the CRC creation to the encrypted data when it should be applied to the raw data. That was a little embarrassing.  :oops:  Well, all that's left now (at least with THAT feature) is to write the code that will create the GZip data. I don't even have to write them to the disk now. How 'bout that? :D

UPDATE: I need someone to test this on the PSX game. While I can create several identical gzip files, I was only testing a few. When I made it again, the accessory file was different from the others. I'm not really sure why, nor do I really care since all the others are identical. Nice thing is, it's now 1 byte smaller and works just fine on the PC version.
« Last Edit: 2008-12-14 02:47:57 by NFITC1 »

Armorvil

• Working on : FFVII Total Grudge
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: 2008-12-14 11:58:25 »
UPDATE: I need someone to test this on the PSX game. While I can create several identical gzip files, I was only testing a few. When I made it again, the accessory file was different from the others. I'm not really sure why, nor do I really care since all the others are identical. Nice thing is, it's now 1 byte smaller and works just fine on the PC version.

You should know my email address, by now ;)
Excellent work, by the way ! v1.1 works great :D

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #198 on: 2008-12-14 12:24:57 »
Great work!
  :-D
You should add gradients and bases For HP, MP and EXP leveling too (as advanced editing or something).

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #199 on: 2008-12-15 00:34:56 »

OK, I'm not too big to admit this. I'm a jerk. :) I fixed this (I think). The next version will not have that issue.

UPDATE: Now that the GZipping is working the way I want, I can begin to make an enemy attack editor that will act as a suppliment to Hojo (Since Armorvil, and I'm sure others, would like this to be so). My biggest concern was always the unpacking/repacking and the various things that could go wrong in-between. Since Hojo already does practically everything else with monster data and SceneEdit can screw with scripts, I'll just stick to editing the attacks and call it something goofy like "Hojo-Market". Making this will be a breeze compared to the nearly constant headaches and teethgrindings WM has caused me (since it'll be a watered down version of WM anyway)

PS: Armorvil reports that the minuscule-ly smaller KERNEL.BIN works in the PSX! Expect version 1.1.5 to be released later today after I remove some now-unneeded code. The only way to make this better would be to integrate the help file into the executable and hand-write the code that does the actual compressions. I honestly don't care to do that at this point. It will run no faster to do that. The point is that WM is no longer executing 27 shell commands per kernel creation which saves on time of creation, CPU ticks, and HD writes. That's what I've wanted all along. The next version update will include battle and growth data, but there's a bit to do in preparation of that so that may take some time. Be patient. It'll come.
« Last Edit: 2008-12-15 12:01:23 by NFITC1 »