Author Topic: Thoughts about reviving the project  (Read 54686 times)

Aussieroth

• View Profile
Re: Thoughts about reviving the project
« Reply #50 on: 2014-08-01 04:52:48 »
I think you might need 10 posts before you can PM people.

The FF8 project is just a few threads down. As you can see, the main cast is done.

We can probably do the FF7 project a little differently. I am purposefully avoiding voicing some of FF8's dialogue because the game has a built in limit to how many sound effects it can play, and it's all being done out of the game engine. This won't be the case for FF7 since we're using an external tool. I think we should make periodic sets of dialogue files. One for the main plot, and other packages for miscellaneous lines of dialogue (side quest stuff). People can download whatever optional dialogue sets they want to have.

YOU GOT CHRISTIAN SEKHANAN AS SQUALL!!!!? MATE! Perfect choice! Not saying because he and I are good friends, the guy is one of the two definitive Squalls on YouTube (The other being Rupert Scarr in Shudo Ranmaru's FF8 fandub.) Hell that is a great cast... and I will gladly audition for NORG when the time comes XD.

To business though, yeah. I was wondering it would all work out in terms of the coding. Seems like you have got it down pat. Again I wanna talk in more detail too, so I'll put up a few more posts then.

Aussieroth

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2014-08-01 05:15:34 »
One thing I would be keen to see is the new re-translated script

Aussieroth

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 2014-08-01 05:16:38 »
As well as hear some of the new re-orchestrated music

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 2014-08-01 05:50:21 »
but I've already come up with nearly the entire cast, not just the main and supporting cast but even the extra NPC's.
As in you've held auditions already, or have people who've played these roles in another project, or simply know who you WOULD cast, given the opportunity? If it's the FF7 fandub I've seen that you were involved in... well, the acting in that is a mixed bag. Some of it is great, some of it is less so.

I do think that ideally it would be best to keep this project completely separate, and with its own auditions. Definitely let the cast of that know about this project and encourage them all to audition, but at the same time, this would give the opportunity to potentially discover someone who may not have been around in 2009 back when that project began. You never know when a  hidden gem could blow your minds.

And yes, my reasons are at least in part selfish; I want to audition for Reno, and win or lose the role based purely on talent and because someone else got it for a totally different project :P Still, I think my points are valid.

edit:
I can't send PM's yet because I don't think the admins made me an "official member" yet.
There's a five post minimum before PMs are enabled, as a spam combat measure. You should be past that point now.
« Last Edit: 2014-08-01 05:53:26 by Covarr »

Shard

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 2014-08-01 06:08:22 »
One thing I would be keen to see is the new re-translated script
You can download DLPB's translation now and check it out. It's buried in one of these forums somewhere. I'm going to have to get it as well sometime soon.

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #55 on: 2014-08-01 09:27:19 »
(The other being Rupert Scarr in Shudo Ranmaru's FF8 fandub.)
Yep ;) Toldya folks!

Aussieroth

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 2014-08-01 09:54:58 »
As in you've held auditions already, or have people who've played these roles in another project, or simply know who you WOULD cast, given the opportunity? If it's the FF7 fandub I've seen that you were involved in... well, the acting in that is a mixed bag. Some of it is great, some of it is less so.

I do think that ideally it would be best to keep this project completely separate, and with its own auditions. Definitely let the cast of that know about this project and encourage them all to audition, but at the same time, this would give the opportunity to potentially discover someone who may not have been around in 2009 back when that project began. You never know when a  hidden gem could blow your minds.

And yes, my reasons are at least in part selfish; I want to audition for Reno, and win or lose the role based purely on talent and because someone else got it for a totally different project :P Still, I think my points are valid.

edit:There's a five post minimum before PMs are enabled, as a spam combat measure. You should be past that point now.

No, I know the you're on about but that's not the one I mean. I have a cast for a full fandub of pretty much the whole FF7 compilation, starting soon with Before Crisis.

Anyway, That's a fair call and I had a feeling it would come to that anyway. Plus I do need a new Reno so go all out ;)

Also yeah I can PM now. No spamming rule. Makes sense. Also again, according to Kaldarasha, I'm both Sephiroth and Hojo XD Though I know there's a better guy for Hojo out there.

So I take it I'm one of the guys, along with you and Shar, to be heading this then?

Aussieroth

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 2014-08-01 09:55:47 »
You can download DLPB's translation now and check it out. It's buried in one of these forums somewhere. I'm going to have to get it as well sometime soon.

I'll find it then. DLPB has been on that for a while so yeah, I'm quite excited to see what it looks like now.

ficedula

• View Profile
    • http://www.ficedula.co.uk
« Reply #58 on: 2014-08-01 11:56:56 »
Anyway, That's a fair call and I had a feeling it would come to that anyway. Plus I do need a new Reno so go all out ;)

Also yeah I can PM now. No spamming rule. Makes sense. Also again, according to Kaldarasha, I'm both Sephiroth and Hojo XD Though I know there's a better guy for Hojo out there.

So I take it I'm one of the guys, along with you and Shar, to be heading this then?

That sounds fine to me - my opinion has always been that if somebody wants to step up and do the work, then rather than argue about should-we shouldn't-we, just let them try and see if it works.

I was also going to ask ficedula if he could release whatever script he uses to generate those XML files. I'm going to eventually modify DLPB's translation a little (to standardize how multiple-choice dialogues behave) and we're going to use that for the lines.

It's just a part of the Ultrasound code; I haven't turned it on in the public release because it's not very user friendly yet (it has hard coded paths in it, and happily overwrites any files that already exist in the target folder without any warning, which could obviously go badly...)

Although bear in mind, the new release of Ultrasound - http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=15342.0 - triggers the dialogue based on dialogue IDs, so the text in the various files is now just there for reference, it's not actually used. That said - I understand it's probably a useful reference ;) so yes - I'll make that dialogue export tool available in a future version.

I imagine there's probably some other tools/options that might be useful - like reporting on any 'missing' files (you've put a path to an mp3 file in, but it doesn't exist), etc.

Aussieroth

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 2014-08-01 13:59:34 »
Very well then! What's the first task?

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 2014-08-01 15:36:24 »
Hey hey, the only non-VA part I volunteered for is pretty much busywork. Hardly what I'd call even vaguely a leadership position. :P

Shard

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 2014-08-01 19:06:08 »
Very well then! What's the first task?
When ficedula enables his xml export feature, we'll need to go through the script and weed out the dialogue that won't be voiced ("Item Received" and things like that). We should put in some placeholder sounds and play through some of the game's areas just to make sure Ultrasound works in every case.

I've written up most of the audition threads. I just need to find some good lines that allow the actors to show off their skills. When the threads are posted, I'll make a new thread here, and you can share the links with your cast and any other people you think might be interested.

FFreak

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 2014-08-04 01:33:42 »
What shard says:
First the coding part and when that works well the voicing part will need much time, thats for shure but we wouldnot need to cast all at the same time.

Mby some coder here will try to get such a progy :P
Ok writing english is hard when its 3 am ^^

Shard

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 2014-08-04 04:15:55 »
Aussieroth and I have already talked about the project, and we're going to go ahead and do it. We have very similar mindsets about how we want a FF7 voiceover project to turn out. We're currently coming up with a list of lines/scenes people can read for auditions. With any luck, auditions will be open sometime this week.

Salk

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 2014-08-04 05:52:18 »
Aussieroth and I have already talked about the project, and we're going to go ahead and do it. We have very similar mindsets about how we want a FF7 voiceover project to turn out. We're currently coming up with a list of lines/scenes people can read for auditions. With any luck, auditions will be open sometime this week.

I am wishing you guys the best of luck!

I am very thrilled about your partnership.

ficedula

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 2014-08-04 13:37:40 »
When ficedula enables his xml export feature, we'll need to go through the script and weed out the dialogue that won't be voiced ("Item Received" and things like that). We should put in some placeholder sounds and play through some of the game's areas just to make sure Ultrasound works in every case.

Basically done: http://www.ficedula.co.uk/voices/Ultrasound_0_36.zip

You first need to extract all the files from FLEVEL.LGP into a folder, and decompress the LZS-compressed ones. Then the Tools / Extract option in Ultrasound will build/update the voices XML files for you.

Also, it'll put any entries that it doesn't think are dialogue into comments in the file, so it's clearer when you view the file (...if it's something that understands XML, anyway...) which entries actually need to be recorded. It might get it wrong, in which case you just need to move the entries out of the comment block.

The Tools / Analyse option will tell you what percentage of the required voices file are recorded for each location (& overall), skipping any entries that have been commented out of course...

I've written up most of the audition threads. I just need to find some good lines that allow the actors to show off their skills. When the threads are posted, I'll make a new thread here, and you can share the links with your cast and any other people you think might be interested.

Look forward to seeing it.

Cheers.

FFreak

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 2014-08-04 22:06:59 »
I would like to organice a homepage just for that, not only working on the forum all the time. It will get very complicated after all.

ficedula

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 2014-08-05 11:20:58 »
Certainly I'd suggest we want decent file hosting at a minimum (which I'm quite happy to provide - I have a dedicated server with reasonable bandwidth and disk space spare); I'm a fan of Bittorrent Sync for distributing and updating files easily, although there are other options.

While a homepage might be wanted at some point, I'm not sure what you'd need it for to start work on the project. The forum works for general coordination, IMO.

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 2014-08-05 11:23:55 »
While a homepage might be wanted at some point, I'm not sure what you'd need it for to start work on the project. The forum works for general coordination, IMO.

Well from time to time the forum isn't reachable. This happens rather often lately.

ficedula

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 2014-08-05 12:25:50 »
You make a good point. It'd be easy enough for me to set up a private forum on my server for project use, I guess.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 2014-08-05 15:09:16 »
Eh, it's never down for more than a minute at a time or so; just refresh. Any coordination that needs to be done live would be better suited for IRC or Skype anyway, and if it doesn't need to be live then the site forums are still perfectly fine for that.

Shard

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 2014-08-05 23:19:19 »
Thanks for the update on your program Ficedula. We're just waiting for DLPB to release the newer version of his translation/reunion.

Salk

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 2014-10-07 14:50:53 »
Now that practically DLPB is completely done with the translation, will work resume on this project?

Thanks!

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 2014-10-07 15:12:13 »
He only finished his part on the project...
The final (and I do mean final) check is done.  My job is done now. In the coming days I will be sending a lot of stuff to Covarr and Luksy and then the project will be 100% complete.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 2014-10-07 15:23:11 »
Even so, auditions are still open until Nov 10. It'll be a while yet before recording begins.