Author Topic: Square Enix releasing 'Remaster' soundtracks for SNES Final Fantasy games  (Read 2963 times)

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
Square Enix releasing 'Remaster' soundtracks for SNES Final Fantasy games

I don't know what to think of this. If I had to guess, I'd say they're probably resequencing the music, using the original samples (it wasn't synthesized, after all) and using modern hardware/software to completely bypass the SNES's less-than-stellar sound output. It's a solid way to get much crisper, clearer sound than retro consoles could produce, while remaining quite faithful to the original sound.

Here's a fan-made example of this technique:
Original | Remastered

That's not to say this is necessarily what they're doing, but it's a reasonably cheap and easy way to remaster a sampled retro soundtrack. The fact that this technique won't work with synthesized music, such as in the NES Final Fantasy games, combined with the fact that they're not remastering those games, is reasonably strong evidence that's what they're doing.

ajthedj747

• Looking Forward to 2017
    • View Profile
July Third is a long wait from now. I am happy with what is already available.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
Interesting. I look forward to seeing how this turns out  :)

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
I've had a lot of their remastered CD's from yester-year and thought most of the remixes/remastered tracks sounded good. Some were weird (like the moogles' theme from FFV gave me nightmares the night after I heard it) and some were awesome (pirates' theme and mambo de chocobo).

I'd like to hear some samples of what they're doing before I commit to another import process. Last time I imported a CD from Japan it took OVER 13 months for me to get. No exaggeration. It was so long that I seriously forgot that I had ordered it.

ProtoX

i could have sworn they did something like this before with the gba tracks known as "Final Fantasy's Finest" which contains the FF4 Advance , FF5 Advance, And FF6 Advance music which sounds better and different then it did on the gba itself. I have the actual cd set which costed a lot of money on fucking Ebay

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
...which sounds better and different then it did on the gba itself...

That wouldn't be hard.