Author Topic: FINAL FANTASY VII OST (Remastered Edition) ~by Final FanTim~  (Read 155330 times)

LimitBreak

• View Profile
FINAL FANTASY VII OST (Remastered Edition) ~by Final FanTim~
« Reply #50 on: 2009-02-27 20:43:15 »
Hmm...

This is Thomly again, from the psp-game :)

Thanks for letting me use your files, off course you will be in the credits, if my project will ever release that is... (being realistic)

Well i followed the link on the torrent at thepiratebay from my pc at home, so it wouldn't be a public pc.

Maybe it's possible that following that link gets you logged in in the account of the poster of the link?

dunno though...

Thomly

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2009-02-27 21:32:18 »
You're still logged in as him? You really should log out and get an account of your own, for security if nothing else.

And do you have any idea why you're logged in as him? Are you using a public computer?

Grimmy

• Join in my tarnished light.
    • View Profile
    • GrimmyGames
« Reply #52 on: 2009-03-03 16:13:31 »
 Final Fan Tim this is great work, and I am very thankful. Much props. :-D

Marc

• I hear Voices ... in my head
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 2009-03-03 17:52:01 »
Good job on these.

However you say these are based on high quality samples of the midi ?

Do you mean as in a soundfont ?  Because I was under the impression a soundfont was simply a different set of instrument samples which is what you did right ?

I'm only asking since ff7music can be somewhat picky and incompatible as The Skilster mentioned so being able to get these in game through soundfont (or gm.dls replacement) would not only solve that issue but also make them loop correctly.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I skipped from the first to the 3rd page!

finalfantim

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 2009-03-05 19:45:35 »
Good job on these.

However you say these are based on high quality samples of the midi ?

Do you mean as in a soundfont ?  Because I was under the impression a soundfont was simply a different set of instrument samples which is what you did right ?

I'm only asking since ff7music can be somewhat picky and incompatible as The Skilster mentioned so being able to get these in game through soundfont (or gm.dls replacement) would not only solve that issue but also make them loop correctly.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I skipped from the first to the 3rd page!

The music is not like a soundfont :-D

I processed and rearranged the original midi files, to be compatible with the high quality samples. These samples are actually real instrument recordings which can be used in a way so that midi data can trigger the right sample (like note, velocity, pitch, modulation)

Marc

• I hear Voices ... in my head
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 2009-03-05 21:11:09 »
Another question then : Would it be possible to repackage your arranged tracks into the midi.lgp (or whatever the game calls it) and convert your instruments to a soundfont then ?

PS : It might show that I don't know much about midis nor soundfont!

suzakusui

« Reply #56 on: 2009-03-06 13:05:50 »
Great work man.

Say, I wanted to remaster my OST collection myself too,
could you give me some directions on how to convert my midis to high quality real instruments like you did?

I have Cubase that I got from my friend but I have no clue on how to use it (nor does he, I suppose). Do I need anything else?

I would really appreciate if you just gave me the basics.

Thanks in advance  :mrgreen:

finalfantim

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 2009-03-07 18:20:32 »
Another question then : Would it be possible to repackage your arranged tracks into the midi.lgp (or whatever the game calls it) and convert your instruments to a soundfont then ?

PS : It might show that I don't know much about midis nor soundfont!

The only way for this to work with FFVII ingame is with Ficedula's FFVIIMusic Mod.
You could see the instruments as a SoftSynth, but then with a 40GB library of samples behind it :)

Great work man.

Say, I wanted to remaster my OST collection myself too,
could you give me some directions on how to convert my midis to high quality real instruments like you did?

I have Cubase that I got from my friend but I have no clue on how to use it (nor does he, I suppose). Do I need anything else?

I would really appreciate if you just gave me the basics.

Thanks in advance  :mrgreen:

The basics are really simple when you do a little research :lol:.
You have a MIDI track which contains data like note, pitch, modulation, velocity etc.
Now you have to set it up so that a program ,"SoftSynth" or "VST" can use that data to trigger its samples (like instrument notes)
To "plug" these VST in Cubase, search with google or check the manual that came with Cubase. It should be very easy to do...theres a VST Instruments button somewhere or in the menubar.
You can select one of these (if proper installed) and then you can setup a track with the midi data so that the output is the VST instrument.

Dont know if you can afford the bucks for EWQL Symphonic Orchestra GOLD and EWQL Colossus (i bought them a month too early because they now have a nice new softsynth engine)
EWQL Symphonic Orchestra with the new engine is now (only) $495.00 which is really cheap for the quality you get. Or you can get the Silver Edition which has less instruments and articulations but its
$195.00
EWQL Colossus (or now Goliath) is $449 which contains basically all kinds of instruments but is not specialiest.
check: http://www.soundsonline.com

You could also check Native Instruments Komplete 5 (if you want a whole package) or if you just want the samples for orchestra, check Vienna Symphony Library and listen to demo's
check: http://www.native-instruments.com/index.php?id=komplete5&L=1 or http://vsl.co.at/

Remember, you will need plenty of space on your hdd (like 50GB) for samples alone.
Everything i know is self taught so be patient.  :-D

Note:
I will not give any further type of support, search for other forums on the internet since i dont want to make this thread off-topic :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: 2009-03-07 19:18:46 by finalfantim »

suzakusui

« Reply #58 on: 2009-03-08 04:18:52 »
Thanks for the answer, that's a great start.
I'll do some research on my own and hope to come up with something.

And I'll be looking forward for that FF6 OST remastered, good luck!

d33eniz

• I am watching for you... but I can't find you...
    • View Profile
    • United ODC Corporation
« Reply #59 on: 2009-03-10 21:01:57 »
Yo digga's the hole CD 1 is on YouTube:

I'm uploading CD 2 coming few days...

See ya,

Deniz

finalfantim

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 2009-03-22 21:36:43 »
Yo digga's the hole CD 1 is on YouTube:

I'm uploading CD 2 coming few days...

See ya,

Deniz

Good job mate :P

BTW, still really busy with school...so no FFVI Remastered OST in the near future

Landarma

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 2009-03-22 23:21:37 »
Excuse me, but what midi data did you use?(I mean, XG or GM?)  If I were about to get correct loop start~loop end point, I need to know..

**Currently listening 'Those who fight further' Black Mage version and S.S.H. version..

finalfantim

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 2009-03-28 15:54:38 »
Excuse me, but what midi data did you use?(I mean, XG or GM?)  If I were about to get correct loop start~loop end point, I need to know..

**Currently listening 'Those who fight further' Black Mage version and S.S.H. version..

I believe it was the GM version, not sure though...
I downloaded a zipped archive with the MIDI's since my CD's of the PC version are somehow damaged

Fleet Command

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 2009-06-07 14:15:24 »
Two question:
First, how exactly are they considered remastered? I downloaded the fourth CD and played my favorite song, One-Winged Angel. But all got was a dull version of my OST One-Winged Angel reverbrating into a large hall and then coming through a yard hose. Is it supposed to be that way or is it just because something with my computers and MP3 is wrong? All other songs are also too soft, too blurred for the ear.

Second, are these legal?

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 2009-06-07 15:29:51 »
FleetCommand, these songs are the midi versions having been run through software that basically plays better instruments than MS's terrible GS midi patchset. Especially notice that pianos and brass instruments sound much more realistic.

Listen to Still More Fighting to really tell the difference; that song is amazing when it's used with a decent distortion guitar instrument.

Fleet Command

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 2009-06-07 17:58:33 »
REALLY?! Oh, thanks God! You know, at first I did think it should probably be so but then I assumed if it was so, there should have been no vocal singing in One-Winged Angel, especially with the same pronounciation ambiguities. Apparently, I was wrong, wasn't I?

Please forgive me for being unable to congratulate you. I'm sure you were through some efforts creating these but the despair that took over me after I so entusiastically downloaded these still does not let me to write an honest congratulation (and I don't want to be dishonest). Perhaps when I replace these in the game, my brother and my sister, who play this game, would be surprised enough to do the congratulation.

Maybe it strikes as peculiar for you, but everyone has his or her own taste of music. So don't be surprised that I still prefer Microsoft GS music because this remastered version absolutely lacks sharp sounds. Now, I'm not into musics with a lot of Bass and lots of booms and bangs. But I percieved the A.B.S.O.L.U.T.E lack of sharp sounds as something wrong.

Of course my taste wasn't always like this. When I was younger... well, my taste of music was different.

finalfantim

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 2009-06-23 17:53:15 »
REALLY?! Oh, thanks God! You know, at first I did think it should probably be so but then I assumed if it was so, there should have been no vocal singing in One-Winged Angel, especially with the same pronounciation ambiguities. Apparently, I was wrong, wasn't I?

Please forgive me for being unable to congratulate you. I'm sure you were through some efforts creating these but the despair that took over me after I so entusiastically downloaded these still does not let me to write an honest congratulation (and I don't want to be dishonest). Perhaps when I replace these in the game, my brother and my sister, who play this game, would be surprised enough to do the congratulation.

Maybe it strikes as peculiar for you, but everyone has his or her own taste of music. So don't be surprised that I still prefer Microsoft GS music because this remastered version absolutely lacks sharp sounds. Now, I'm not into musics with a lot of Bass and lots of booms and bangs. But I percieved the A.B.S.O.L.U.T.E lack of sharp sounds as something wrong.

Of course my taste wasn't always like this. When I was younger... well, my taste of music was different.

Ey,
I know what you mean and yes, MIDI files are meant to be alot sharper since they dont have 'depth' :D

One Winged Angel could be done better if i had the time to limit it with a multi compressor

The thing is, im not a professional audio engineer, i know the basics and i know how to make it 'sharper' but i guess the main issue is that you didnt calibrate your speakers :P
I have run these through studio monitors and it seemed fine to me even on my Logitech Z2300 with alot of bass :)
So try cranking up your treble, maybe thats what your looking for  :-D

"Now, I'm not into musics with a lot of Bass and lots of booms and bangs" This is exaclty what OWA is suppose to sound like (referring to Orchestral versions) :D

EDIT:
Try picking music with piano only to calibrate your setup, it might help getting the sharpness
BTW, MIDI is TOOO sharp in my opinion...its not that silly considering its only digital bleeps :P
« Last Edit: 2009-06-23 18:00:34 by finalfantim »

Nisto

« Reply #67 on: 2009-07-11 16:28:03 »
Thank you! You made a great job. I finally like "Buried in the snow", never really like that one, lol.

Fleet Command

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 2009-07-12 20:48:21 »
I know what you mean and yes, MIDI files are meant to be alot sharper since they dont have 'depth' :D
I sincerly think there is a "yes" in the middle of your message which completely changes the meaning of it.

but i guess the main issue is that you didnt calibrate your speakers :P
I'm afraid I don't think so.

"Now, I'm not into musics with a lot of Bass and lots of booms and bangs" This is exaclty what OWA is suppose to sound like (referring to Orchestral versions) :D
Yes, and I'm not into this kind of music due to their headsplitting quality, yet I still precieved MP3s as dull. Is that something wrong with that?

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 2009-07-12 23:32:13 »
AMAZING. I couldn't agree more that this is what the OST should have sounded like (the official one was barely distinguishable from the MIDI tracks). Hell, I'm even considering replacing some of my OCR tracks for this! Awesome job, mad props!

finalfantim

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 2009-07-13 21:00:56 »
AMAZING. I couldn't agree more that this is what the OST should have sounded like (the official one was barely distinguishable from the MIDI tracks). Hell, I'm even considering replacing some of my OCR tracks for this! Awesome job, mad props!

Thanks for your support :)

MP3 UPDATE #1
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ERG05R5Q

Together with The Favs (@ffshrine.org), we tried to get a proper duration of all tracks by looping to match the PSX Original Soundtrack as close as we can.
I redid them not to only loop properly, but some even to sound better!

1-11 - Victory Fanfare - Now its looped properly 2 times meaning the duration is now 1:02 which is close to the 0:53 of the OST version

1-06 - Barret's Theme - Now its looped properly with my own original timpani's

1-22 - Crazy Motorcycle
- Now its looped properly and i also replaced the drumkit to a more punchy one to match the original as close as possible (SWEET!)

3-09 - Wutai - Now looped properly with the proper timpani's which where somehow off when i exported my original rearrangement

4-02 - Weapon Raid - Now looped properly with the proper timpani's. The midi notes of the timpani midi track were somehow not at the right key. I also had to seperate the timpani, snare and cymbal

4-15 - Birth of the God - Now looped properly with a duration of 4:00. Your going to love this one, i redid the guitar sound since it didnt sound as muted as i thought. Also, i added some nice drum fills between the looping points and at the end of the track to close it properly

4-16 - One-Winged Angel - Now looped properly. I also increased the volume of the snare kit and timpani's to add some depth and power
« Last Edit: 2009-07-16 23:21:42 by finalfantim »

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 2009-07-14 04:13:58 »
Awesome update! Will be adding to my collection of your MP3's :-D

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 2009-07-14 05:22:31 »
Thanks, big improvement of an already stellar set!

Now I don't have to rush through the victory fanfare anymore :)

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 2009-07-14 07:44:50 »
while you're redoing them, you might wanna consider editing the Makou Reactor song...there's way too much silence in the beginning.

btw, I LOVED the way you did Vincent's theme. It's my fav song in the game, and your version is the best I've heard.

finalfantim

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 2009-07-14 10:54:49 »
Good, im glad you like the improvements!  :-D