Author Topic: FF8 PC not installing  (Read 25905 times)

azazeldeath

• View Profile
FF8 PC not installing
« on: 2011-07-10 07:39:38 »
After much searching I found this wonderful site, and needless to say it made me play my PSN version of FF8. While looking for a legit version of the PC FF8 I got hooked.

Now I have a problem, it seems my scratch free FF8 (PC) wont install. It arrived yesterday and I have been trying since.
I put in the CD, auto-run pops up I click install....nothing.
I open the CD and run the setup....nothing.
I change the capatibility (tried every possible option) and add administrator privileges......nothing.
I have also done all of the above after making an ISO (CloneDVD, GamejacklePRO, deamon tools)

I check the task manager and it has a nice selection of SETUP*32.exe that wont progress beyond the 2,596kb mark (approx thats the highest it has got, but most rarely make it that far).

I have also tried something this site doesn't condone which was torrents (all of them have been deleted now). And it resulted in the same thing.

I don't want to have to use the PSX (have the original CDs of them still too, and the PSN version on my PS3 and PSP) version as I had to pay $187 AUS for my FF8 (PC) and I want to use it, and some mods.

Can anyone help.

Specs are as follows:
Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate
Q6600 Quad Core Processor
4Gb DDR3 RAM (2x 2GB sticks)
Radeon 5770 HD 1GB

EDIT:
Yes I paid $187 for it, it was sealed in its original box. So I thought I would be safe.
« Last Edit: 2011-07-10 08:11:51 by azazeldeath »

Kranmer

• View Profile
Re: FF8 PC not installing
« Reply #1 on: 2011-07-10 09:13:50 »
Lots of people have had problems like this (usually with ff7 though), usually it can be solved by installing in safemode, try that and see if that works first.

azazeldeath

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011-07-10 09:16:37 »
I have tried that, it wont let me install anything under safe-mode.

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2011-07-10 10:09:22 »
well that's unusual, OK then next is to copy all the files from the installation CD into a folder on your computer and try running setup.exe in that folder, if the same thing happens try replacing the setup.exe with this one
http://www.mediafire.com/?otqy4axq5x1f7n8
and then see what happens.

azazeldeath

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2011-07-10 11:18:01 »
Sadly no luck.
Tried copying the Installation CD onto my HDD, didnt work. Even tried that setup.exe and it didnt work :(

I guess it means I may have to buy another FF8 on my next pay.

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2011-07-10 11:49:45 »
buying another copy seems a little extreme since you will probably get the exact same problem,
You could just try extracting the files from the setup, try a install extractor like "Universal Extractor" (or something similar) to extract the files from the installer so that you don't have to install it (although you will still need to get the registry entries  so you could ask someone for them or if you have access to another computer if ask a friend to install it and get the registry entries off them, or use virtualbox to emulate a different computer like a linux computer and get the entries from that)
« Last Edit: 2011-07-10 11:55:16 by kranmer »

azazeldeath

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2011-07-10 12:52:24 »
I will try that, I have downloaded windows Virtual PC and seeing if running the XP Virtulisation will help. I really hope so otherwise I need to chase down reg files......yay

Will keep you informed via an edit (so I dont double post)

EDIT:
It seems I just can't win, I ran the XP Virtual PC. Got it installed, further then I have ever got! Tried to run it, crashes to desktop.....
Copy it over to the actual OS. Now it seems EAX.dll hates me. Who would of guessed it'd be so much work to play this game.

Hopefully final EDIT:
I tried to extract the SETUP, this is the report I get after it fails to extract (provides no information at all sadly)

Code: [Select]
TrID/32 - File Identifier v2.02 - (C) 2003-06 By M.Pontello
Definitions found:  2641
Analyzing...

Collecting data from file: E:\SETUP.EXE
 36.4% (.EXE) InstallShield setup (43050/17/16)
 31.9% (.EXE) Win32 Executable MS Visual C++ (generic) (37706/45/16)
 11.0% (.SCR) Windows Screen Saver (13105/51/3)
  8.9% (.EXE) Win32 Executable Generic (10527/13/4)
  6.4% (.DLL) Win32 Dynamic Link Library (generic) (7600/42/2)

I am running out of ideas. At this rate I am going to have to stick to the PSX version :( and I really want to be able to use atleast Aali's custom graphics mod.

Note: I tried extracting Aali's mod into the install folder to add the EAX.dll, even put it in system 32.......no luck there either now it just comes up with it missing
« Last Edit: 2011-07-10 13:46:40 by azazeldeath »

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2011-07-10 13:38:17 »
well good news you have gotten further, well if you install Aali's custom driver it replaces the EAX.dll, so try that and see if it fixes the problem your having.
EDIT - also try installing the latest patch before Aali's custom driver.
« Last Edit: 2011-07-10 13:42:48 by kranmer »

azazeldeath

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2011-07-10 14:02:15 »
My brain keeps hurting from this,

I have tried to patch it, the EAXUnified doesn't add the EAX.dll which I seem to require. I am trying to pull it apart now with the Universal Extractor, not liking my chances on that. It seems this game doesn't get along with Win7 64bit lol.

By the way, thank you for being such a big help so far. Your input has helped me so far, I would try your ideas, give my computer funny looks then work on another idea that was related to yours, hence the XP virtual PC.

Note:
The EAXUnified appears to be doing the same as the installer the first time. I guess I can try it on the XP Virtual PC again. See what I can manage.

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2011-07-10 14:08:19 »
Well after installing the patch latest FF8 patch you should be able to just install Aali's driver to your FF8 folder and use Aali's EAX.DLL (its a modified version for loading FF8 in opengl)
you can get Aali's driver from http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=8306.msg166102#msg166102
just download that and extract all the files to your FF8 folder.

azazeldeath

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2011-07-10 14:13:38 »
I have his mod in the FF8 folder. I tried his EAX, didnt work, tried the xp one. Lets just say my computer didn't like it, but that't progress.

It tried to boot up, and gave me more errors then I could keep up with. Your ideas are helping immensely btw. I can't tell you how happy I am that I had to restart my computer (only because it means at most I am a few lines of coding away from being able to play)

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2011-07-10 14:17:37 »
well after installing Aali's driver it should produce a App.log, it basically logs all errors and tells you what is going on (then post it here to see if anyone can help) or if you got a error box in the middle of the screen take a screenshot and post it.

azazeldeath

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2011-07-10 14:21:44 »
Can't get a screenshot of the error box, but heres the app log.

Code: [Select]

INFO: FF7/FF8 OpenGL driver version 0.7.11b
INFO: Auto-detected version: FF8 1.2 US English
INFO: ATI Technologies Inc. ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series 4.1.10750 Compatibility Profile Context
INFO: OpenGL 2.0 support detected
INFO: Found swap_control extension
INFO: Max texture size: 16384x16384
INFO: Number of texture units: 8
INFO: Original resolution 640x480, window size 640x480, output resolution 640x480, internal resolution 640x480
INFO: Shader limits: varying 128, vert uniform 16384, frag uniform 16384
ERROR: failed to stat file /shaders/nolight/main.vert
ERROR: failed to load shaders, reverting to fixed function
MATRIX INITIALIZE
INITIALIZING SOUND...
  initializing direct sound
  EAXDirectSoundCreate
After this it will just hang, and unless I get lucky and get my mouse back it means a restart.
Starting to feel bad for having all these problems and pestering you, and the forums, about them.

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2011-07-10 14:24:19 »
Have you ran the ff8 config and set your sound devices properly?

azazeldeath

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2011-07-10 14:30:20 »
First thing I done...mainly because it was the first thing to open. But ill try again, hopefully I just had a massive stupid moment.

EDIT:
Sadly it was all set up correctly. I tried all 3 options I had, no luck. Still the exact same error report.
« Last Edit: 2011-07-10 14:32:35 by azazeldeath »

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2011-07-10 14:38:17 »
Is a format of the pc and reinstalling windows an option?

azazeldeath

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2011-07-10 14:40:13 »
Not really I am afraid.

I have alot of work on here that would take me a very very long time to back up.

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2011-07-10 14:41:42 »
This really is unusual, it does appear to be a sound problem, did you try disabling EAX in FF8config ? also you could try disabling your soundcard to see if that makes any difference but i am not really sure on what is causing the problem. Also did you get the same problem in Virtual PC when running FF8 in XP mode ? Also have you tried running FF8 in different compatibility modes by right clicking the EXE and clicking on properties then compatibility ?

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2011-07-10 14:45:31 »
Where did you install it? Program Files? If you did install there you might have to run the config as administrator as well.

azazeldeath

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2011-07-10 14:52:55 »
In the Virtual PC it just crashes to desktop after showing a black screen. I have tried to disable all my sound devices (HDMI, Digital Audio, and the Analog Audio drivers).
http://i55.tinypic.com/2cdvgub.png  - this is the error that comes up, finally managed to get a print screen of it.

It is installed in program files. I try to run it as administrator every second time (I try atleast twice for opening it).

When I try open FF8Config after disabling my sound devices it just freezes then windows closes it. Though if you can tell me how to disable EAX via the FF8Config itd be a great help. I cant see an option for it anywhere.

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2011-07-10 15:23:24 »
Well that error shouldn't be a problem although i am wondering why it thinks the shaders are missing, have you checked to make sure they are there ?
I meant in FF8config where it says Use EAX, just unticking that box and seeing what happened.
And i am concerned that it isn't working in Virtual PC either, it should work on XP and if it isn't i am not sure why (also make sure in VirtualPC it is set to software render and NOT hardware render since i don't think virtual PC can emulate graphics properly).

azazeldeath

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2011-07-10 15:36:27 »
It wont let you run the hardware render in the Virtual PC.
The shaders are all there. I am even trying a third install, with everything from the setup CD being extracted, still no luck.

I think its time to go bed and sleep on this problem (Australian lol)

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2011-07-10 16:15:45 »
The eax.dll file included with my driver is not a modified version of the real eax.dll, it requires that the actual eax.dll is installed in the system folder (usually C:\Windows\System32)

If you are missing that file a dialog will popup saying "file not found" and the path it was looking for. Thats where you need to put the *real* eax.dll.

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2011-07-10 16:26:50 »
I think i have run out of idea's on this problem, sorry i can't be of more help but if i think of anything i will post back

The eax.dll file included with my driver is not a modified version of the real eax.dll, it requires that the actual eax.dll is installed in the system folder (usually C:\Windows\System32)

If you are missing that file a dialog will popup saying "file not found" and the path it was looking for. Thats where you need to put the *real* eax.dll.
Ah OK thanks for clearing that up, i don't think that is his problem anyway (since he doesn't seem to get the error "File Not Found")

-Ric-

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2011-07-10 21:14:45 »
seems this game doesn't get along with Win7 64bit lol.

i dont think that the OS is the problem cause im using win7 64x aswell and ff8 works just fine..
is there any other application failling to install or run?  also try checking ALL ur drivers + run a scan with anti-virus/anti spyware application and see if it picks anything.. if nothing works u should consider re-installing windows even tho u need to backup alot of stuff.. cause that's not a ff8 problem it seems... its most likely something messed on ur windows