Author Topic: [HD Remake] WIP Sector 5 slums  (Read 275028 times)

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
Re: [HD Remake] WIP Sector 5 slums
« Reply #350 on: 2014-08-09 23:47:51 »
Use a borderless window tool and run the game in window mode.
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=15214.msg212938#msg212938

KnifeTheSky77

• Somnambulistic Paraphile
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: 2014-08-10 00:00:02 »
Fraps takes screenshots. If you are on Windows, and you must have a beefy gfx card, you can set hotkeys for screenshots within amd and nvidia control panels... I think.

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #352 on: 2014-08-10 01:14:02 »
Okies, so here are screenshots...

Below is one original field with scaling uses (character size has not been edited).

Following the original scale, even with chibis, many elements of this scene have an absurd size. The TV and the flowers are the most blatant example. A general character upscale (using Makou Reactor) may partly solve it, however some elements are not properly scaled when compared to each other (for instance, the lilies in the background are huge with respect to the table and the chairs).

Now, for proper comparison of various cases, I chose the colne_be3 scene. I picked this scene because I've completed my work on it, and I've done the "rescaling process" in doing so. This scene does not present many instances of the "scaling problem", though. I placed Cloud next to the boot because this is one particular object which went through rescaling revision.
First, let's have a look at the original field with original chibis:

As you can see, the size of the boot is a bit too big in comparison to Cloud's size.

Next, let's see my moded field, after fixing scaling issues, using the chibi model:

I believe the scale of the boot in my moded version is much more suitable than how it is in the original field, even when using chibi models.

Finally, let's see my moded field with Kaldarasha's (old) model of Cloud, which has more realistic proportions.

Obviously the scale is suitable, because I had taken this model to test the scale of the objects in my scene. In my opinion this is how the game is meant to look like.

All in all, I think realistic scale is more suitable than original scale, even with chibi models.
That's all folks  :P

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #353 on: 2014-08-10 02:52:02 »
I admire this scene everytime I look at it man! Looks so well designed and detailed/lifelike!

KnifeTheSky77

• View Profile
« Reply #354 on: 2014-08-10 04:23:55 »
Chibis4life. I don't know what it is about the realistic models but they always look so unnatural and out of place. I guess the chibis look fine on those backgrounds regardless.

LeonhartGR

• View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #355 on: 2014-08-10 04:30:31 »
For nostalgia yes, but i personally don't believe I can stand those blocky Lego like/models with today's graphic potential...

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: 2014-08-10 05:28:56 »
Chibis4life. I don't know what it is about the realistic models but they always look so unnatural and out of place. I guess the chibis look fine on those backgrounds regardless.

If everything would use chibi size like FFIX (or Crono Cross) then it would be OK. But the game use the chibi design only because of the inexperience of the former developers and that they thought they could realize emotions better this way. However they had canceled the idea with the face expression (I think Square has forced the dev team to bring the project to an end), the  :o faces of the models in the PC version are a proof of that. These models are an earlier built which weren't cleaned. FF7 is in it's model design pretty inconsistence so making the models to a more realistic shape is the only option we currently have. Because we can't change the battle models so much without getting    serious problems with the animations. There is also a higher demand for a non chibi design.
Anyway I still would love to see a review of the games most memorized scenes with the chibi characters, when the staff roll is seen.

Besides my next update will cover some resizes for the field models for the vanilla game (or the Reunion). So the chairs, which currently looks to huge even for Barret, will look to small for him.

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #357 on: 2014-08-10 16:38:57 »
I would just add one thing: it's always been in the plans of TA to recreate environments in order to re-render the FMVs in HD (although I admit it's rather for the far future), and one thing we need to work on is visual consistency between field environments and FMV environments. I would believe FMV environments were meant to fit FMV models, so it would make sense the field environments suit these models as well.

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #358 on: 2014-08-17 00:53:09 »
Hi folks,

Here's an update on mds5_w (ie bus/weapon shop). Since last time, I've mostly added details. I hope you'll enjoy.

So... most of the stuff is done, I mostly need to import weapon models from Blend swap, plus add a few details on the rear parcel shelf (I need to model a toolbox, for instance). Final touches are about importing an enviro light based on a render from mds5_1 (the outdoor scene), and add a bit of volumetric scattering to give the place a bit of a dusty feel.
However, I'm off tomorrow for some (much needed!) vacations - I'll be a bit off the grid for a week.
 8-)

Salk

• View Profile
« Reply #359 on: 2014-08-17 04:45:49 »
I really love it, Mayo Master!

Great stuff!

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #360 on: 2014-09-01 01:46:00 »
Hi folks,

So... I've made some progress on the weapon shop scene - I imported a few weapon models and modelled a few other things, it's almost complete. Therefore, I made the import from that scene back into the main outdoor scene of the Sector 5 slums, mds5_1. Below is the result:

[EDIT]: I forgot to update a texture on that render - please do not mind the yellow color of the door, it will be replaced.

Anyway, this means that mds5_1 is almost complete as well. I only need to make final adjustments to the lighting and volume scattering. However, I don't think I'll be able to create particle systems to litter the place with "trash objects", since it seems like I'm finally reaching the limits of what 16 Gb of RAM can handle. I'll try to upload a render of that scene soon.
« Last Edit: 2014-09-01 01:52:53 by Mayo Master »

RedManMark86

• View Profile
« Reply #361 on: 2014-09-01 13:54:41 »
your work is truly amazing! I hope you keep the scenes in case Q-Gears really kicks off!

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #362 on: 2014-09-01 15:59:14 »
Well... the scope of this work doesn't really depend on the status of Q-Gear. The fields I make already work on the current engine.
To be honest I am not sure what the possible benefits of Q-Gears would be like, as far as the fields are concerned. I am curious - It would be nice if somebody could fill me in.
« Last Edit: 2014-09-01 19:31:37 by Mayo Master »

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: 2014-09-01 23:56:55 »

Anyway, this means that mds5_1 is almost complete as well. I only need to make final adjustments to the lighting and volume scattering. However, I don't think I'll be able to create particle systems to litter the place with "trash objects", since it seems like I'm finally reaching the limits of what 16 Gb of RAM can handle. I'll try to upload a render of that scene soon.

Time to upgrade to haswell-e with 128Gb of DDR4?

KnifeTheSky77

• View Profile
« Reply #364 on: 2014-09-02 08:24:31 »
Time to upgrade to haswell-e with 128Gb of DDR4?

DDR4 is a consumer thing now? Holy crap I haven't been paying attention. Might as well rent time on a render farm for whatever that would run you.

That is the most beautifully war-torn looking bus that I have ever seen, IRL or otherwise. Perhaps a little too polished/reflective for how rusty it is, but by the beard, that is beautiful.
« Last Edit: 2014-09-02 08:26:03 by KnifeTheSky77 »

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #365 on: 2014-09-02 23:13:54 »
Update!

Below is the latest 100% render I made for mds5_1. It took a whopping 38 hours to be completed (with 2000 samples) - I'm stuck with CPU rendering (still, I have a good CPU). Click on the image to get the full resolution...

So... regarding this scene, this is as far as the modelling will go. I could see ways of improving it, such as lattice deformations on the rooftops and particle systems for debris and trash, but I am not going to do that for "mark I" of this scene, for two main reasons:
a/ I think the modelling has reached a satisfying level, and I have already spent enough time on this scene (which I started to model back in November 2013). Time for me to move on (the time I would be spending for more details here would be less time spent on making new scenes).
b/ I am reaching my computer's limits (7 cores with 16 Gb of RAM), and I am not planning an upgrade anytime soon (bought this PC last year).

I am however still considering some improvements concerning the texturing and the lighting. Namely, I forgot to apply a concrete texture on a pillar, and I think I should tone down the bumpmapping on the wood beams. The lighting is pretty good in my opinion, although:
- I am open to suggestions regarding the lighting setup, which includes the volume scattering setting (I used volume scattering to create a dusty atmosphere, which is why the image is conveniently desaturated).
- Eventually I'll need to add post-processing effects (glare, light beams).

I hope you like it. Feedback and comments are welcome - if you have revisions to suggest, bear in mind that I will like to wrap this one up quickly.

mystery_editor

• Mmm... Pi
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: 2014-09-03 07:24:24 »
looking at each section in detail up close, I really can't fault anything. All that it needs is the final post effects for glare and lighting to make it really fit and it'll be 100%. Awesome, awesome work.

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: 2014-09-05 17:08:55 »
If you need rendering I can probably do it. My pc is watercooled and can run at 4.7ghz 24/7. I leave it on all the time anyways

edit: can blender not do gpu rendering?
« Last Edit: 2014-09-05 17:29:22 by sl1982 »

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #368 on: 2014-09-07 04:48:47 »
looking at each section in detail up close, I really can't fault anything. All that it needs is the final post effects for glare and lighting to make it really fit and it'll be 100%. Awesome, awesome work.
Thanks you! I already made some preliminary tests in game (background layer using this render, other layers from original fields), it's really promising.
If you need rendering I can probably do it. My pc is watercooled and can run at 4.7ghz 24/7. I leave it on all the time anyways
edit: can blender not do gpu rendering?
Thanks for the offer - I'll see if I become desperate about rendering. Blender can do GPU rendering, but not necessarily for everything (for instance I am not sure if strand rendering - for furs and carpets - is GPU supported). How much RAM do you have? Basically, for Blender, RAM will condition whether something can or cannot be rendered. Then CPU/GPU power defines how fast the render is going to be. So I'd say RAM is even more crucial than CPU/GPU when it comes to feasibility.

Otherwise, I thought I'd make this update regarding some new details for the bus/weapon shop scene (this is a 1000% render, the final result will be much smaller)

I hope you like it.

LeonhartGR

• View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #369 on: 2014-09-07 11:40:15 »
Haha! Great!  :mrgreen:

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: 2014-09-07 13:38:00 »
Thanks you! I already made some preliminary tests in game (background layer using this render, other layers from original fields), it's really promising.Thanks for the offer - I'll see if I become desperate about rendering. Blender can do GPU rendering, but not necessarily for everything (for instance I am not sure if strand rendering - for furs and carpets - is GPU supported). How much RAM do you have? Basically, for Blender, RAM will condition whether something can or cannot be rendered. Then CPU/GPU power defines how fast the render is going to be. So I'd say RAM is even more crucial than CPU/GPU when it comes to feasibility.

3770k @ 4.5GHz
16GB Ram
R9 290x with 4GB graphics memory.
I could possibly upgrade to 32 GB if needed.

edit: if you throw a scene up on the repo i will see what I can do with the hardware i have
« Last Edit: 2014-09-07 17:47:18 by sl1982 »

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #371 on: 2014-09-11 15:22:17 »
Hi folks,

Just letting you know that I've started to work on 5min1_2. anaho sent me the .blend file he previously made using Blender Internal rendering engine. My aim is to retexture it for Cycles (with lots of UV unwrapping), but there are a few objects to be remeshed and a couple of others whose modelled from scratch. Below is what I have done so far.

paul

• View Profile
« Reply #372 on: 2014-09-13 20:31:12 »
Well... the scope of this work doesn't really depend on the status of Q-Gear. The fields I make already work on the current engine.
To be honest I am not sure what the possible benefits of Q-Gears would be like, as far as the fields are concerned. I am curious - It would be nice if somebody could fill me in.

No limits on animations etc, and the image file could be used as-is instead of converted to that strange "block" format. Also you could use 3D field files rather than static renderings. This is probably possible with the current engine too using the custom hook/driver/rendering engine as it could simply render the mesh itself and not draw the 2D field images.

Edit: Actually I have been wondering, wouldn't it be cool to add 2D lighting to the current engine like in the "the swapper" game?

See here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7DxYZN6fu0 this is all 2D

« Last Edit: 2014-09-13 20:33:11 by paul »

KnifeTheSky77

• View Profile
« Reply #373 on: 2014-09-13 22:28:07 »
That would be really awesome if pulled off the right way. Have you made much progress on field maps/wm? High framerate field with a much smoother 'panning' of the bg when running around would make a nice touch  :-D

I know I've reposted this before, but it is awesome. I believe this is a QGears build from a few years ago. My computer wouldn't stand a chance with these new slums scenes.
« Last Edit: 2014-09-13 22:42:39 by KnifeTheSky77 »

paul

• View Profile
« Reply #374 on: 2014-09-13 23:06:45 »
Yeah in QGears it should be easy enough to do. On the wm side of things the wm0 can be rendered - I need some spare time to carry on working on it. A decompiler to decompile the scripts to QGears WM lua is the next step.