Author Topic: [WIP] Team Avalanche's Graphical Overhaul  (Read 593625 times)

Satoh

• Assuming this statement is correct, I'm alive.
    • View Profile
Re: [REL] Team Avalanche's 2D Overhaul
« Reply #975 on: 2009-08-30 04:25:21 »
Ummm.... there isn't much to learn really... its more or less just getting used to it...

I use photoshop's pen tool for it...
Clicking creates a hard corner...
clicking and dragging creates a smooth curve...
CTRL Click on a point allows it to be dragged or the smoothness angle changed...
The small dots coming out of the points change the smoothness.
SHIFT+ALT Clicking these dots allows them to be moved independently of eachother (It might be CTRL+ALT... I don't remember... it's more of a physical reflex to me.)
to undo the most recent single point, press the delete key once... (CTRL+ALT+Z does not work properly in this mode)

None of this makes sense until you actually try it while reading the instructions...

sl-kun should be able to help you out a little with that as well, since I think he recently figured out how to use it decently, if I recall.

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: 2009-08-30 04:25:31 »
I personally use sl1982's but people make their own spin on it it seems. I just like to point out any flaws so they might correct them (if they even want to that is)

They are Satoh's not mine. I dont like taking credit for something i didnt do

Satoh

• View Profile
« Reply #977 on: 2009-08-30 04:34:48 »
Also I should note that not everything I have done is vectors... the hand and maybe some others were, but mainly I just make things REALLY BIG and uniformly shrink them... until they are the right size...(keeping the large versions just in case) like the Materia... that was an old self-practice exercise I made long ago... I just added Bear-san's materia images from the first page, as a mask on top to give it some more reflection.

The materia slots were just clever use of layer effects (the linked part was a little harder since I had to blend things with the smudge tool without losing definition... I swear I remade that so many times trying to get it just right... which it's pretty close now.)

The timer numbers were...a little different... I started with a font I downloaded... then I converted the text layer to a vector layer and modified the shape of some of the numbers... and added some layer effects to it... eventually getting the glow I liked and metallic reflections... then... well anyway you get the point...

All I really do is blend a bunch of simple tasks into one good looking finished product... if I may be so conceited as to complement my own work.

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #978 on: 2009-08-30 04:37:22 »
Ohh, i see. I was thinking thats what Timu should do with his Avatar's, because the tiny image displayed in the preview looks PERFECT

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: 2009-08-30 04:51:54 »
Ohh, i see. I was thinking thats what Timu should do with his Avatar's, because the tiny image displayed in the preview looks PERFECT

ZSo guys am i on the right track with this stuff? Most of the comments ive been getting are this isnt right or that isnt right. I dnno, i think it looks good, but everyones a critic it seems

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #980 on: 2009-08-30 04:56:10 »
I dunno all of whats yours, But i think everything on here looks fantastic. As are your special effects for your magic (cause i know those are yours)

Satoh

• View Profile
« Reply #981 on: 2009-08-30 05:00:04 »
Word about upgrading things:

You'll generally hear more about the flaws than the successes...

Another note about this type of work:

The fact that you're getting many comments at all is a very good sign that you're going the right way.

Don't be discouraged just because people are saying you can improve things, that just means they support your idea and want to see as much success out of it as possible. I learned that a while ago when I started modding Morrowind for the first time... frankly my first mod was ok, but that's all... it wasn't great... but I got a few comments on how it looked good, and lots more about how it could be improved.

People are interested in this mod. Consider any post of constructive criticism a complement. (Flames, on the other hand, are best ignored altogether.)

I think you're doing well, it takes a lot to get me interested in a project for as long as I have been. Normally I lose the will to contribute in about two days... and even still I'm reading the thread, which I hardly ever do after I slow down in the contributions...

If nothing else, you have my support.

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #982 on: 2009-08-30 05:05:03 »
I support till i can't support anymore. This mod and Aali's driver are MUST haves for FF7

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: 2009-08-30 05:10:39 »
I support till i can't support anymore. This mod and Aali's driver are MUST haves for FF7

Word about upgrading things:

You'll generally hear more about the flaws than the successes...

Another note about this type of work:

The fact that you're getting many comments at all is a very good sign that you're going the right way.

Don't be discouraged just because people are saying you can improve things, that just means they support your idea and want to see as much success out of it as possible. I learned that a while ago when I started modding Morrowind for the first time... frankly my first mod was ok, but that's all... it wasn't great... but I got a few comments on how it looked good, and lots more about how it could be improved.

People are interested in this mod. Consider any post of constructive criticism a complement. (Flames, on the other hand, are best ignored altogether.)

I think you're doing well, it takes a lot to get me interested in a project for as long as I have been. Normally I lose the will to contribute in about two days... and even still I'm reading the thread, which I hardly ever do after I slow down in the contributions...

If nothing else, you have my support.

Well i apreciate the support guys. Its just a little disheartening sometimes when all you get is criticism when you have done so much work. I figure i have put at least 100 hours into this so far. I know it may not show but when i started i was a photoshop noob.  Anyways thanks for the support. Its for guys like you that i do this for

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #984 on: 2009-08-30 05:12:08 »
I'm trying to do barrets gun icon as we speak. It will fail like no other, But if i don't try i can never get better to help you out

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: 2009-08-30 05:13:14 »
I'm trying to do barrets gun icon as we speak. It will fail like no other, But if i don't try i can never get better to help you out

Keep at it. Its a team effort we have here. Dont leave it all to me or you will be waiting years  :-P

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #986 on: 2009-08-30 05:15:43 »
Do you happen to have a color palette in photoshop format i can use so i get proper colors? Or do you wing it?

Satoh

• View Profile
« Reply #987 on: 2009-08-30 05:17:56 »
It can certainly become a dis-gratifying task sometimes... But that's why I make sure to show my support.

Also, that's why I don't like to make a lot of revisions to my work once it's done if I can help it... because it puts more load on you.

After I installed FFVII PC on my own machine, I probably made 30 more revisions on that materia link... I wouldn't have been able to do that if I were relying on you to upload screenshots. It would have been a very mean thing to do...

In the end I didn't even play FF7 other than to mess with the tex's XD; though once everything is done and I figure out how some of these other mods work, I'm very tempted to play it through one more time.

Anyway, that's that... *goes off to work on Alex's armor parts...*

EDIT:
Do you happen to have a color palette in photoshop format i can use so i get proper colors? Or do you wing it?

I use samples from screenshots...

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: 2009-08-30 05:19:11 »

Unfortunately no, what i usually do is revert to the originals to get the proper texture colors. As far as i know this is the only way to do it

Blood_Crow (Mendelevium)

• Blood is the drink of life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: 2009-08-30 05:23:05 »
i feel like i fail or something.

okay i did everything in the instructions...and well no go.
xD.

The  only difference is that now tifa's avatar is missing.
And that the menu_us is like half the size of the original.
>.>;;

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #990 on: 2009-08-30 05:24:11 »
i feel like i fail or something.

okay i did everything in the instructions...and well no go.
xD.

The  only difference is that now tifa's avatar is missing.
And that the menu_us is like half the size of the original.
>.>;;

I dont understand what u mean

Blood_Crow (Mendelevium)

• View Profile
« Reply #991 on: 2009-08-30 05:28:40 »
when i try to apply your patch.

I follow the instructions to the letter. And nothing happens when i test it in game.
>.>;;

the only two things that seemed to have changed is the Menu_US.lgp got smaller when i applied your patch,
and tifa's avatar is just a blank blue space now.

>.>

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: 2009-08-30 05:29:52 »
Weird, none of the lgp's should change in size.

Blood_Crow (Mendelevium)

• View Profile
« Reply #993 on: 2009-08-30 05:30:51 »
the menu_us.lgp
went from like 3.8 MB (or whatever it was)

to 1.7 mb

<.<

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: 2009-08-30 05:31:46 »
the menu_us.lgp
went from like 3.8 MB (or whatever it was)

to 1.7 mb

<.<

Did you have any mods to that file?

Blood_Crow (Mendelevium)

• View Profile
« Reply #995 on: 2009-08-30 05:34:37 »
nope, its the original.
>.>

but none of the mod is working. no text changes... and it uses the original spell animations as well.
>.>

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: 2009-08-30 05:35:17 »
nope, its the original.
>.>

but none of the mod is working. no text changes... and it uses the original spell animations as well.
>.>

Interesting. Since the original menu_us.lgp is only 1.7mg to begin with

Blood_Crow (Mendelevium)

• View Profile
« Reply #997 on: 2009-08-30 05:37:58 »
really? it was a fresh install...and it was like 3.8
O.O???

or maybe i did have a mod?
i will try re-installing it...

Satoh

• View Profile
« Reply #998 on: 2009-08-30 05:41:03 »
really? it was a fresh install...and it was like 3.8
O.O???

or maybe i did have a mod?
i will try re-installing it...

Are you positive you have Aali's driver enabled?

Blood_Crow (Mendelevium)

• View Profile
« Reply #999 on: 2009-08-30 05:47:33 »
yes. i am positive.
:P