Author Topic: [WIP] Team Avalanche's Graphical Overhaul  (Read 593552 times)

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: [REL] Team Avalanche's 2D Overhaul
« Reply #1425 on: 2009-09-13 16:55:44 »
edit: after much tweaking and messing around got the images into the game and it works flawlessly

What, so we can finally use more detailed backgrounds in the game?

If so, w00t! :-D

willis936

• View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: 2009-09-13 17:01:51 »
Eyes.

Popped.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: 2009-09-13 18:02:50 »
Pics or it didn't happen.

But seriously, this is now officially the ultimate mod. I'd been planning on not using it until it was finished, but if you do the backgrounds it could take quite a bit longer, beyond my patience. Regardless, I am quite impressed.

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: 2009-09-13 18:08:36 »

But seriously, this is now officially the ultimate mod. I'd been planning on not using it until it was finished, but if you do the backgrounds it could take quite a bit longer, beyond my patience. Regardless, I am quite impressed.

Yeah because I go around making shit up all the time.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: 2009-09-13 18:21:34 »

Yeah because I go around making sh*t up all the time.

Hey, hey, I was only kidding, I completely believed you. Were my first sentence serious, I wouldn't have followed it with "but seriously". Nonetheless, there's a certain magic to seeing a pic of it in action. :)

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: 2009-09-13 18:22:48 »

Yeah because I go around making sh*t up all the time.

Hey, hey, I was only kidding, I completely believed you. Were my first sentence serious, I wouldn't have followed it with "but seriously". Nonetheless, there's a certain magic to seeing a pic of it in action. :)

:-P

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: 2009-09-13 18:29:40 »
I think I can see a potential problem here.

A lot of people already have modded flevel files (those using gjoerulv's hardcore mod are an example), and in the PC version the backgrounds are in the same file as the script. What will you do about compatibility? Is there some other way of patching the already patched files, or will we have to replace the backgrounds one by one?

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: 2009-09-13 18:44:44 »
I think I can see a potential problem here.

A lot of people already have modded flevel files (those using gjoerulv's hardcore mod are an example), and in the PC version the backgrounds are in the same file as the script. What will you do about compatibility? Is there some other way of patching the already patched files, or will we have to replace the backgrounds one by one?

I dont know what you mean about scripts.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: 2009-09-13 18:45:32 »
Field scripts and dialogue. Making models appear and move around; that kind of stuff.

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: 2009-09-13 18:50:24 »
Hmm then it would probably mess with the hardcore patch

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: 2009-09-13 18:57:32 »

Do you know of any way to get around this, or to use palmer to extract and replace lots of backgrounds at the same time?

Obviously, we could all download the background mod and use it replace the backgrounds in the hardcore modded flevel.lgp one-at-a-time (both of the mods are worth the effort :-P), but it would be nice if there were a quicker way :wink:

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: 2009-09-13 19:08:23 »

Do you know of any way to get around this, or to use palmer to extract and replace lots of backgrounds at the same time?

Obviously, we could all download the background mod and use it replace the backgrounds in the hardcore modded flevel.lgp one-at-a-time (both of the mods are worth the effort :-P), but it would be nice if there were a quicker way :wink:

I dont think any type of batching is possible right now

Tsetra

• View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: 2009-09-13 21:03:56 »
Damn, that's true. I'm still working on my restoration project behind the scenes (away from the C&Ding eyes of Square) and that'd definitely conflict seeing how just about every field file is being changed in some way.

But with permission, authors could probably create a second patch that includes both their own work and the new backgrounds, no? Would you be cool with the idea once finished, sl1982? The releases would basically be like " 'SO and SO' patch merged with 'Team Avalanche's 2D Overhaul' ", providing immediate, obvious credit where due and alleviating any confusion.

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: 2009-09-13 21:09:17 »
It would be fairly easy to make a patcher that just inserts the external texture references. (Since the textures themselves don't need to be modified)

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: 2009-09-13 22:13:35 »
It would be fairly easy to make a patcher that just inserts the external texture references. (Since the textures themselves don't need to be modified)

Isnt that what palmer does right now? Well i know it redoes all the tiling.

Damn, that's true. I'm still working on my restoration project behind the scenes (away from the C&Ding eyes of Square) and that'd definitely conflict seeing how just about every field file is being changed in some way.

But with permission, authors could probably create a second patch that includes both their own work and the new backgrounds, no? Would you be cool with the idea once finished, sl1982? The releases would basically be like " 'SO and SO' patch merged with 'Team Avalanche's 2D Overhaul' ", providing immediate, obvious credit where due and alleviating any confusion.

I dont have any problems with it. Just dont want people calling our work their own.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1440 on: 2009-09-13 22:15:27 »
Aali, is it possible to get palmer working with larger images?

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: 2009-09-13 22:26:28 »
Well, palmer does that, and a lot more and as you say you can't batch it.
Instead of adding a batch function to palmer it would be much easier to create a separate tool.

I have no idea why palmer isn't working with very large images, it shouldn't be a problem.

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: 2009-09-13 22:59:31 »
Well, palmer does that, and a lot more and as you say you can't batch it.
Instead of adding a batch function to palmer it would be much easier to create a separate tool.

I have no idea why palmer isn't working with very large images, it shouldn't be a problem.

Im not sure why it does either, but i can replicate it every time. 1280x960 works. 1920x1440 doesnt

Costa07

• View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: 2009-09-15 01:40:48 »
So sl1982 need yo criticism again what you think. I had to divide it into 2 diff videos had to find the right spell to switch the camera angle right to see the whole battle scene.

Part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C1pqrw1vdk

Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5ghV9urbcQ

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: 2009-09-15 03:52:06 »
So sl1982 need yo criticism again what you think. I had to divide it into 2 diff videos had to find the right spell to switch the camera angle right to see the whole battle scene.

Part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C1pqrw1vdk

Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5ghV9urbcQ

Textures in the background are way too bright. Try to keep to the original color scheme

romeo14

• View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: 2009-09-15 10:34:40 »
just a little to bright but good job dude

hotdog963al

• Horse
    • View Profile
    • Horse HQ
« Reply #1446 on: 2009-09-15 10:43:45 »
Yeah, contrast is far too high.
Bloody good job though, keep it up!!  :-o

Costa07

• View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: 2009-09-16 00:18:18 »
K thanks for the input

darkvadd7

• View Profile
    • ChristopherNolan.fr
« Reply #1448 on: 2009-09-16 09:17:15 »
I've success to use the patch in the french version, but I have two questions :

- why we must change tex files in menu.lgp, magic.lgp and flevel.lgp ? Because there are no differences between the original textures and those in the patch.

- where did you find the name of textures for the menu ? Because I don't find this names in lgp files.

I will probably make text textures for french version.

Thanks !

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: 2009-09-16 14:56:08 »
I've success to use the patch in the french version, but I have two questions :

- why we must change tex files in menu.lgp, magic.lgp and flevel.lgp ? Because there are no differences between the original textures and those in the patch.

- where did you find the name of textures for the menu ? Because I don't find this names in lgp files.

I will probably make text textures for french version.

Thanks !

Yes the tex files must be changed. Even if they look like the originals.

The names for the french version of the textures in menu lgp are most likely different then the us version. You will have to figure out which one corresponds to your file and rename it to that