Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.99994)  (Read 4838139 times)

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v1.1)
« Reply #350 on: 2014-09-28 09:01:25 »
I'm pretty excited too. I think it plays a lot better from the Temple to the Crater than it did previously, and I was able to make some devious things happen with some of the new bosses. Right now I've got to put all the support materials together such as a new manual and, more importantly, an extensive list of where to find all the items, Materia, E.Skills, and some notes on why certain things were changed; it was a common complaint that it was tough to track down specific stuff because it was shuffled around quite a bit but a list should sort it out.

Right now I'm adding whatever small touches I can and testing them out. Mostly I'm just making the new NPCs a bit more animated, refining their dialogue, and trying to improve the 9 character-specific sidequests which maybe weren't very side-questy (a lot of their bosses weren't too great either in terms of AI but I reckon the revised batch should be a better fight). What I'm looking forward to is just adding extra end-game stuff every few weeks or so to keep building the mod up and up; wasn't able to do it properly before because the mod lost it's balance completely going into Disc 2. That should help things to tick over until I get this New Game+ campaign scripted up and rolling. And I'm always open to ideas for stuff to put in if you have suggestions; got a big notepad full of them that'll (probably) get implemented at some point.

Insight

• Nothing special here...
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: 2014-09-29 06:15:18 »
/thumbs up :)

Sounds good. Haven't played for a while since ff XIV happened. Give it another try probably with the new version

PotatoHandle

• Does things quickly, no matter how long it takes.
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #352 on: 2014-09-29 06:17:17 »
Thanks for the updates. I had the idea I was going to play/stream this since April now but been really busy this year, so I'm also super excited to try it out. The more I hear about it, the more amazing it sounds. \o/

Can't wait. \o/

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: 2014-09-29 13:57:10 »
It might be ready for release tonight; I'm clearing through the last points on my fixit checklist today.

LetCreativityPlay

• Final Fantasy FTW *_*
    • View Profile
    • https://www.youtube.com/user/LetCreativityPlay
« Reply #354 on: 2014-09-29 15:26:11 »
Looking forward to the new content  8-)
Will you be uploading a new youtube trailer/installation video for it, or renaming your older one to 1.2?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: 2014-09-29 15:56:32 »
I may as well make a new one; the old one has v1.1 written on the installer footage.

RedManMark86

• View Profile
« Reply #356 on: 2014-09-29 21:11:24 »
I may as well make a new one; the old one has v1.1 written on the installer footage.
but more importantly how is that checklist going :P

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: 2014-09-29 21:46:58 »
Yeah, I'll make the promo stuff after the new version is uploaded, priorities and all that  :wink:

All the fixes and tweaks are cleared in my list. Last thing that's being done right now is expanding the new sidequest's interface a little more.

RedManMark86

• View Profile
« Reply #358 on: 2014-09-29 22:40:41 »
Yeah, I'll make the promo stuff after the new version is uploaded, priorities and all that  :wink:

All the fixes and tweaks are cleared in my list. Last thing that's being done right now is expanding the new sidequest's interface a little more.

Oh I'm so excited I think I have nibbled my nails clean off my fingers! This is going to seriously impact my law studies haha :P

PapSnatchBrim [SwornEnemy] (DMR)

• RIP Dime 66-04
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: 2014-09-30 00:36:48 »
dude , been checking everyday for the past 2 weeks, i hope you upload soon.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: 2014-09-30 02:27:16 »
I'M GOIN' AS FAST AS I CAN

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: 2014-09-30 18:13:13 »
Update: 30/09

Alright, I think that's it ready for release. I had to lock the new sidequest while I figure out some bugs but I can unlock it once it's done (I think the field I set it up in is interfering with the way it functions so I'm re-ordering it or migrating it to another field screen). In any case, the goal of the 1.2 patch was to address the crippled balance of 1.1, refine stuff, and lay groundwork for a NG+ extension.

I'm putting the installer together and it'll be uploaded by tonight. I didn't run into many issues during the playthrough and I fixed up any remaining problems that I found, so here's hoping for a bug-free release.

After 1.2's release, I'll be working on a few projects. The first isn't directly related to the NT Mod itself, but a 'classic-type' field model revision that was started by Kalderasha. He's too busy with his other mods to carry it on at the moment, so I'm going to have a stab at covering the rest of the characters and some of the NPCs based on his notes. I've packed these field models in with the NT Mod for now, so people can see them in action.

The others are content expansions for the NT Mod. I'd like to have a stab at re-enabling disabled scenes or re-purposing them in some way. I'm also wanting to work on a new 7H-only dungeon like the FF Advance games had (something that re-uses field screens with different puzzles, enemies, etc). The idea would be to get some experience for myself working with 7H to swap out files like the scene, kernel, and .lgps before swapping back in without running into issues.

But for now, I'll work on getting that new sidequest up and running. Once the mod is uploaded, let me know if you run into anything that's a) broken, or b) too easy/unreasonable (in terms of difficulty). Everything from the start to Hojo was specced up using a party that was front row and had no Sadness; Barriers were used intermittently for the tougher random fights (like against big solo enemies) but I tried to avoid taking them into account when setting up the regular enemy groups.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v1.2)
« Reply #362 on: 2014-09-30 22:25:59 »
Right, that's it up. Let's hope nothing goes wrong with this release for at least one week for a few days.

• RIP Dime 66-04
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: 2014-09-30 23:52:22 »
nice one pal. il test it out in the morning,
if you are making field models http://www.mediafire.com/download/znlyz43vvhz/Mxster%27s+Chibi+Reconstruction+V1.6.exe
you can have these, these are field models me and my cousin started making about 5 years ago, they may be of some use to you

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: 2014-10-01 00:09:31 »
It was funny seeing an older version of Patchmaker there; I'll give these a gander and see what's what.

Edit: Oh, it's this mod! Well, that explains the expertise you had with Kimera before. Cheers for this, I'll harvest these up for parts. I'm wanting to try and keep the original 'shape' of the field models and just add details and colour adjustments to them but there's a lot of parts here that'll fit nicely, I reckon.

By the way, does this mod of yours have a release thread or was it buried? It's quite a thorough revision and well-made.

Edit 2: I see this has several release threads. Quite interesting, it's been passed about from modder to modder.
« Last Edit: 2014-10-01 00:33:20 by Sega Chief »

Kupo Nova

• View Profile
« Reply #365 on: 2014-10-01 00:34:48 »
I installed this version about an hour ago. I only recorded about 30 minutes of it. Well, if I run into an error, I'll message you from YouTube.  :lol:

EDIT: Well, I was one warning away from getting a strike on YouTube, so I took the video down. I'll try my best to only record boss battles right after Midgar.
« Last Edit: 2014-10-01 04:46:07 by RagingFlare »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: 2014-10-01 01:00:56 »
Righto, I'll be waiting for the inevitable doomsday message.

AkiraBalance

• View Profile
« Reply #367 on: 2014-10-01 07:26:16 »
Er. For some reason the experience gaining is acting up. The animation and image of the experience bar goes past its...endpoints and it says i need around 400,000 exp to get to the next level.

Cozzer

• View Profile
« Reply #368 on: 2014-10-01 11:58:10 »
Hi. FF7 is probably my favorite game from the PS era, and when I found this site I've been hit by a ton of nostalgia.
I managed to get this mod working, and I really like the idea of providing a difficult but fair challenge to the "average level" players since I dislike both grinding and low level runs.

I just wanted to ask... has anybody managed to get this mod and the "beacause" retranslation working together?
I tried installing both of them on a clean installation of the old 4CD version (without other mods and without using bootleg or other managers), but I'm still seeing the old dialogues.
(I used the Reunion installer to install beacause, unselecting everything else)
I've seen that this mod adds new lines of dialogue, so maybe it sort of overwrites the retranslated dialogues too?

Thanks for any help, I'll give feedback on balance and things as I go on with the New Threat playthrough. For now, I can just say that the bombing mission is spot on for a "introductory dungeon". I really liked the guard scorpion surprise. :P
« Last Edit: 2014-10-01 12:00:17 by Cozzer »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: 2014-10-01 14:14:20 »
Er. For some reason the experience gaining is acting up. The animation and image of the experience bar goes past its...endpoints and it says i need around 400,000 exp to get to the next level.

Yeah, if the patch is applied and a 1.1 save file is loaded then the EXP gauge experiences a visual glitch because the amount of EXP needed was changed. Once the character levels up (although that might take a while) it should correct itself; as far as I know it's mostly harmless.

Hi. FF7 is probably my favorite game from the PS era, and when I found this site I've been hit by a ton of nostalgia.
I managed to get this mod working, and I really like the idea of providing a difficult but fair challenge to the "average level" players since I dislike both grinding and low level runs.

I just wanted to ask... has anybody managed to get this mod and the "beacause" retranslation working together?
I tried installing both of them on a clean installation of the old 4CD version (without other mods and without using bootleg or other managers), but I'm still seeing the old dialogues.
(I used the Reunion installer to install beacause, unselecting everything else)
I've seen that this mod adds new lines of dialogue, so maybe it sort of overwrites the retranslated dialogues too?

Thanks for any help, I'll give feedback on balance and things as I go on with the New Threat playthrough. For now, I can just say that the bombing mission is spot on for a "introductory dungeon". I really liked the guard scorpion surprise. :P

There's a new(ish) mod manager being developed called 7th Heaven (7H) that handles stuff like that. Basically, my installer is a bit of a brute that just overwrites the game's core files but with 7H it could be possible (to a certain degree) to have both running together. I'd need to break the mod down into it's constituent parts first though, and I'd like to wait at least one week for initial bug reports and to get this locked sidequest debugged.

In the meantime, the NT Installer would definitely have to be used first because of it's 'overwrite everything' approach with Reunion going on second; I'm not sure if the Reunion installer will only alter texts and not the actual scenes themselves (there's a tonne of revisions to the way certain fields work to handle certain things like different party leaders) but it might be worth a shot.

• RIP Dime 66-04
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: 2014-10-01 14:24:37 »
It was funny seeing an older version of Patchmaker there; I'll give these a gander and see what's what.

Edit: Oh, it's this mod! Well, that explains the expertise you had with Kimera before. Cheers for this, I'll harvest these up for parts. I'm wanting to try and keep the original 'shape' of the field models and just add details and colour adjustments to them but there's a lot of parts here that'll fit nicely, I reckon.

By the way, does this mod of yours have a release thread or was it buried? It's quite a thorough revision and well-made.

Edit 2: I see this has several release threads. Quite interesting, it's been passed about from modder to modder.

this is the original thread http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=8857.0
i was thinking about carrying on with this earlier this year but i couldnt be arsed basically,
i hope youll be able to use some parts from this,, peace out brother!

Cozzer

• View Profile
« Reply #371 on: 2014-10-01 14:27:52 »
There's a new(ish) mod manager being developed called 7th Heaven (7H) that handles stuff like that. Basically, my installer is a bit of a brute that just overwrites the game's core files but with 7H it could be possible (to a certain degree) to have both running together. I'd need to break the mod down into it's constituent parts first though, and I'd like to wait at least one week for initial bug reports and to get this locked sidequest debugged.

Thank you! I'll wait, I'd really like to manage to have both your gameplay and their translation.

Cozzer

• View Profile
« Reply #372 on: 2014-10-08 07:07:48 »
I can finally give you some feedback.
The Midgar part went smoothly (except for Air Buster: the increased difficulty made the fact that I couldn't see where it was actually facing quite annoying).
Normal encounters have their strength increased so that you can't just mash attack and heal between battles, but are still quick enough to avoid becoming tiring.
Boss battles are VERY long. They're boss battles, so that's ok, and they force you to use some ethers, but still sometimes I found myself slightly bored towards the end; for example, during the battle against the scorpion on the Shinra Building.
I really like the new miniboss battles, though. They generally make sense and keep you on your toes. Also, I liked how you made the scorpion a recurring miniboss; I'd actually like if it kept showing up until the end.

I defeated the bosses in the elevator (they were pretty hard) and now I'm stuck at the Cloud vs Rufus fight. I tried it a few times, and I really can't see how I can win this without loading a previous save and grinding...

EDIT: Ok, I had forgotten that I could just put Cloud in the back row; after doing that, the Rufus fight was challenging but doable. Now I've just gotten out of Midgar.

For now the mod has been very enjoyable. The "main" battles keep you on your toes, but never give you the feeling that the game is "cheating" or that it requires grinding.

For now I think I'll keep Tifa as a healer (high dexterity and the armor that gives her even more), Barret as a fighter/support/tank with cover materia and protect vest and Cloud as the main attacker with magic.
« Last Edit: 2014-10-08 12:42:52 by Cozzer »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: 2014-10-08 15:08:12 »
Remember that you have the Lv.2 Barrier Materia that Aeris had equipped when she joined; it'll become more and more useful as you advance into the game and they were used during balancing so it could be tough to win without them. If they're running out too fast, consider using Wait ATB (even on the fastest speed, Barriers will last for a useful amount of time on Wait; on Active full speed, they tend to be almost unusable). As far as boss battles go, I was aiming for about 10mins but minibosses should only take 3-4. I'll maybe revise that Scorp's HP or defences for a faster miniboss fight there.

Cozzer

• View Profile
« Reply #374 on: 2014-10-08 21:54:42 »
Yeah, I was already using both Barrier and Wait ATB (I kept the battle speed around the middle) but without using the back row I just couldn't hurt that goddamn panther fast enough to overcome her White Wind.
I like how having more materias in the early stage of the game makes the battles more strategic.