Author Topic: sephiroth vs kefka thread  (Read 20302 times)

The Seer of Shadows

• I used to be indecisive. But now, I'm not sure...
    • View Profile
Re: sephiroth vs kefka thread
« Reply #25 on: 2010-09-20 08:46:10 »
Nothing wrong with having a little bit of intelligent discussion.

Heh.  "Intelligent discussion".  Yeah.  "Durr, Aeristh's howt, you can't deny it, end of story durr!"  That pretty much sums up what I've posted :P

yoshi314

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2010-09-20 15:23:38 »
both of those bad guys were created in various evil experiments, so that's a common start.

but i like kefka more. he is nobody's puppet and he is so much more random. he reminds me of joker from the dark knight movie, played by heath ledger. he does not have any grand scheme, and plays along and takes advantage of various opportunities along the way. he does surprising things and pursues pure chaos. sephiroth has everything planned beforehand.

in terms of d&d classification, sephiroth would be neutral evil while kefka fits chaotic evil description. first one goes by the plan to realize his (or jenova's) wishes. second one wants to be the strongest and not bound by any laws. and that is what he does all the time, by breaking all the rules and kiling people in his way.

that makes kefka so much more interesting. he's such a bastard ;)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2010-09-21 13:51:33 »
Aeristh and Tifa are both ugly dogs.  Yuffie is too.

I'm taking Barrett to the play.  See ya.   8)

Reasons for Barrett:

He is a big butch dude sure to give a lucky guy a good time.
He can protect you.
He has guns on his ARM!!!
He looks cute in a sailor suit.
He sits around Cosmo Candle and forms a group who blow up a reactor.
and he has a beard.
« Last Edit: 2010-09-21 13:54:50 by DLPB »

AlephNaut

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2010-10-02 01:12:54 »
Kefka and Sephiroth were both horribly undeveloped at the time.

Except that eventually Sephiroth got a few spin-offs he was in, like Crisis Core, and then we got to see the transition from hero to solar-system destroying Sociopath.

Personally, I don't think this argument is fair.

As for the Tifa and Aerith argument (and did somebody say Yuffie???) Aerith>Tifa.

1: While they both have good backstories, Tifa's father was killed as a result of Shinra's actions (the creation of Sephiroth). Aerith's mother was killed as a result of Shinra's actions as well (Her mother's incarceration).

While Tifa took up a vendetta against Shinra itself, helping to blow up two Mako reactors and killing hundreds of people, Aerith tended a flower bed.

2: Aerith sacrificed herself to save the planet. Tifa let Cloud fall from the reactor.

This whole conversation is useless anyway. They're different people with different personalities and races. Aerith is a CETRA. Not everybody can cast holy, guys.

The Seer of Shadows

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2010-10-02 01:27:27 »
While Tifa took up a vendetta against Shinra itself, helping to blow up two Mako reactors and killing hundreds of people...

Which gives rise to a new argument: Kefka VS Tifa :P

We never see the *fictional* people that Tifa kills with those explosions.  I would argue that they really don't matter any more than the thousands of nameless people Kefka kills.  I suppose you could use that argument to reflect Tifa's character, and how Aerith is more docile.  But Tifa was a determined woman with an ultimately-righteous mission.  All Aerith is doing is hiding from Shinra, at first.

Also, there's nothing Tifa could do to help Cloud when he fell from the reactor, and she was very concerned when it happened.  Not to mention that she stayed with him throughout his sickness, tried to rescue him from Ultimate Weapon's attack on Mideel, and, most importantly, helped him to reconstruct his sense of identity.  If it weren't for that, Cloud would not have stopped Sephiroth's Meteor, and Aerith's Holy would've proven useless.

(So now I find myself arguing for Tifa :P I'm a very fickle guy.)

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2010-10-02 10:28:59 »

Except that eventually Sephiroth got a few spin-offs he was in, like Crisis Core, and then we got to see the transition from hero to solar-system destroying Sociopath.

We got to see that transition in FF7. Everything I say in FF6 vs FF7 debates is based on the original games, not the shitty spinoffs that ruin everything. Am I the only person whose game included the Nibelheim flashback? Because a lot of people seem to pretend the whole thing didn't happen during Kefka vs Sephiroth arguments.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2010-10-02 19:11:37 »

We got to see that transition in FF7. Everything I say in FF6 vs FF7 debates is based on the original games, not the sh*tty spinoffs that ruin everything. Am I the only person whose game included the Nibelheim flashback? Because a lot of people seem to pretend the whole thing didn't happen during Kefka vs Sephiroth arguments.
No, I completely agree with you. I haven't played any of the spinoffs, and Advent Children did absolutely nothing to develop Sephiroth's character, so all I'm seeing is FF7 itself.

AlephNaut

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2010-10-03 00:17:30 »
Uh huh, Sephiroth's character developed all right.

First he wanted to kill all humans, thinking he's a Cetra.

Then, "Zomg fuse with lifestream become gawd!"

We didn't see ANY transition for that..

Cupcake

• And then it dawned on me, that Satan is also an old fuck.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2010-10-03 03:45:41 »

Except, you know...  The WHOLE NIBELHEIM FLASHBACK.  Or... you know 90% of the story.

drfeelgud88

• da DOC iz here!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #34 on: 2010-10-03 04:36:24 »
I dunno but the picture KM posted on the first page really made me laugh.  :D

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2010-10-03 07:42:58 »

Except, you know...  The WHOLE NIBELHEIM FLASHBACK.  Or... you know 90% of the story.

I've come to a new conclusion: only the games of people who liked FF7 contained the flashback. There was some kind of error when the discs were being printed and some people got games with the flashback cut out. Those people ended up hating FF7 because they didn't know what the f*ck was going on.

Or maybe people who don't like FF7 conveniently pretend things didn't happen so that they can bash it.

Or maybe some people didn't play the game and make criticisms based on what they know of the story from reading arguments on the internet between other people who didn't play the game.

I dunno but the picture KM posted on the first page really made me laugh.  :D

I may not make tools or patches or models, but when it comes to reaction images, I'm the king

The Seer of Shadows

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2010-10-03 10:12:36 »
Or maybe the FF7 haters have such selective minds that everything they read word-filters to "herp derp derp derp".  Hence, Sephiroth has no more character development than Kefka; because they have exactly the same dialogue ;D

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2010-10-03 10:35:52 »
Or maybe the FF7 haters have such selective minds that everything they read word-filters to "herp derp derp derp".  Hence, Sephiroth has no more character development than Kefka; because they have exactly the same dialogue ;D

I lol'd IRL

The Seer of Shadows

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2010-10-03 14:51:22 »
That's what I'm for :)

Oh, and you've used that image on me before... it's cool, tho 8)

AlephNaut

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2010-10-03 15:40:32 »
Yeah, I saw the Nibelheim flashback.

But there was nothing in it about becoming a god. At all.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2010-10-03 16:05:43 »

The word "god" wasn't mentioned IIRC, but taking back the planet and being superior to humans certainly was (bear in mind that the Japanese tend to use the word "kami" far less sparingly than we use the word god).

I believe he first used the word "god" when he was in the Temple of the Ancients. That suggests his opinions changed within his five year absence, but it wasn't the huge change you made it out to be.

Actually, it makes perfect sense. He swears that he will take back the planet that he thinks belongs to him, gets thrown into a big pool of mako, spends five years plotting and then comes back when he's figured something out and when the time is right (Cloud's return to consciousness may have had something to do with Sephiroth's return as well). It would be stupid if he hadn't changed his views at all during five years alone.

Jaitsu

• DON'T FWOOSH ME BRO
    • View Profile
    • Jaitsu Studios
« Reply #41 on: 2010-10-03 16:06:40 »

i suggest you play through it again and, you know *ahem* pay attention to it? the reason he wants to become a god is because he believes it is a destiny he has inherited from mother jenova, once a god, he can easily take vengeance on dem pitiful hoomins. iiiittsss  all in the script.

drfeelgud88

• da DOC iz here!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #42 on: 2010-10-03 16:57:49 »
Kudistos: I've used it a few times at the Bungie forums whenver someone posts, well, you know lol.  ;D
And yes, you are the king of expression-images.