Author Topic: Modding for an undeserving community?  (Read 5995 times)

Incinerator

Modding for an undeserving community?
« on: 2018-08-29 03:01:05 »
after the recent spur of mods lately i was thinking, then again, why do a ff9 remaster? does the modding community deserve it? I debate whether or not any hard work should be invested into it consider the recent behavior of the community. So now I ask do yourself believe the community really deserves a project of such hard work to given to them?
I and other members could spend a (already have) a good year+ working on this for the community for the love ff9, and no one would even give a two shits because of what reason? I'm involved with the project because of my hard work yet it gets overlooked because of whatever reason you have from my style? I'd like to hear this from the community before potentially wasting any time here proceeding. Because it is being worked on no doubt, and I'm putting a lot of time into it than have ever with any other project, all for free, i don't ask anything donations nothing in return, just kindness~all to go to waste. So I ask you all is the community's worthy of a grand project such as this?

Yagami Light

• View Profile
Re: Modding for an undeserving community?
« Reply #1 on: 2018-08-29 12:18:30 »
Well if you mod solely based on expecting something in return, you're gonna be disappointed, I mod because its fun to make the changes you want, sharing it with the community so that others who like it will also see such benefits.

UpRisen

• Again... AVALANCHE is born again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2018-08-29 12:23:01 »
I dont really look in the ff9 mod section often since im not a real big fan of the game, but i know qhimm in general doesnt have many negative people, I can count on 1 hand all the active users that I dont like. I make my mods for myself and not for others, I just also think that all mods should be shared among the community even if it isnt good or is pointless. But as long as you make something that makes YOU happy then it was worth the time regardless of how many people play it.

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2018-08-29 17:01:55 »
Oh wow. That is entirely the wrong attitude to have. I modded ff7 because i loved the game. Not because i wanted adoration heaped upon myself. Perhaps you should consider your own motives and decide wether or not it is worth it for you.

Tsuna

• Global moderator
  • Working together to create awesome things!
    • View Profile
    • The home of Tsunamods
« Reply #4 on: 2018-08-29 19:05:11 »
If your going to complain about people and say they are undeserving of your hard work. We all mod because we enjoy it, it's not a job, you don't finish and expect to get paid. It's fun, a hobby, you do it for yourself.

Maybe try treating the people that do try to help you better.
I told you i would try and help you out by streaming your mod when i had time after i finished my own project which still hasn't happened yet. I tried to make you feel better about yourself and try to help you understand what everyone here is saying but you don't like to listen to reason.

Instead of calling me and pretty much everyone else here a lying flaker in the PM's.
Mod for yourself, not anyone else.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2018-08-29 19:13:15 »
Instead of calling me and pretty much everyone else here a lying flaker in the PM's.
This is not the first I've heard of him harassing people in PMs. I am issuing ONE warning for this. If I hear about it again, Incinerator, you're out of here. ~Covarr

Incinerator

« Reply #6 on: 2018-08-29 20:30:36 »
What recent behaviour?

the bashing of my recent released mods coz of it's style.

Well if you mod solely based on expecting something in return, you're gonna be disappointed, I mod because its fun to make the changes you want, sharing it with the community so that others who like it will also see such benefits.

i know, but with me, like to do things for both parties, myself and others to enjoy.

I dont really look in the ff9 mod section often since im not a real big fan of the game, but i know qhimm in general doesnt have many negative people, I can count on 1 hand all the active users that I dont like. I make my mods for myself and not for others, I just also think that all mods should be shared among the community even if it isnt good or is pointless. But as long as you make something that makes YOU happy then it was worth the time regardless of how many people play it.

sure but when others bash you for it based on your mod style is pissy and pathetic. A couple don't matter but a horde? whole different story. i dunno if it's just fanboys bitching or what

Oh wow. That is entirely the wrong attitude to have. I modded ff7 because i loved the game. Not because i wanted adoration heaped upon myself. Perhaps you should consider your own motives and decide wether or not it is worth it for you.

i obviously modding the game previously because i loved it or it wouldn't have been so large in the end result, but as i said, i like to do it for others as well. But in terms of this project, it's beyond modding, as i'm not modifying simple aspects of the game anymore.

If your going to complain about people and say they are undeserving of your hard work. We all mod because we enjoy it, it's not a job, you don't finish and expect to get paid. It's fun, a hobby, you do it for yourself.

Maybe try treating the people that do try to help you better.
I told you i would try and help you out by streaming your mod when i had time after i finished my own project which still hasn't happened yet. I tried to make you feel better about yourself and try to help you understand what everyone here is saying but you don't like to listen to reason.

Actually, you didn't, you were more of another fanboy trying to change what I had already done because you weren't open minded to different styles of mods in ff9.

This is not the first I've heard of him harassing people in PMs. I am issuing ONE warning for this. If I hear about it again, Incinerator, you're out of here. ~Covarr

I have never harassed anyone in PMs here.

Like I said, I can mod all for myself all I want, yet I share it, it gets bashed like a fucking frenzy while all other "traditional" mods are far from it, all because of what? My style? I could without the bashing (mostly by close minded fanboys not open to different types of mods). No matter what I change.

UpRisen

• Again... AVALANCHE is born again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2018-08-29 20:59:23 »
I just went through your post history... and the only negative comments I saw were from what I would geuss is a throwaway account since his only 3 post are on your mod. That and Zara9 being a little impatient. I dont know where you are getting that a horde of people are smashing the mod because its not from qhimm. You should just relax a bit and keep up the work that you can be proud of. If you release something you like then others will be more likely to enjoy it aswell.

Incinerator

« Reply #8 on: 2018-08-29 23:16:31 »
I just went through your post history... and the only negative comments I saw were from what I would geuss is a throwaway account since his only 3 post are on your mod. That and Zara9 being a little impatient. I dont know where you are getting that a horde of people are smashing the mod because its not from qhimm. You should just relax a bit and keep up the work that you can be proud of. If you release something you like then others will be more likely to enjoy it aswell.

No, no not on qhimm, it was on other sites. some on steam, but mostly other sites.
And I certainly will keep up the work I'm proud of. I'd never take it down.

I think you need to grow a pair of balls.  My mod has had entire forums rallying against it, but like others have said - you shouldnt be making it to get kudos.  And you may be mistaking some feedback as negative when it's simply someone's opinion.

If you expect everyone to only tell you great things about your mod...  you are mistaken  - and it wouldn't be healthy anyway.

that's not what i'm expecting, and the other comment from you is not necessary. I don't need to prove to you how thick my balls are.
Besides, balls are the sensitive part of a man, considering it gets hit or kicked, or even flicked.
« Last Edit: 2018-08-29 23:19:56 by Incinerator »

DanTsukasa

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2018-08-30 12:43:54 »
Taking criticism is rough, I can understand that, and I'm sure it can be difficult to continue doing something you love if other people come in and shit on it.

Shitting on someones mod isn't very nice. I have mods on here, or work in the forum that whilst the original authors are proud of it, I don't think its very good work, and thats a valid opinion to have, for example the upscaled backgrounds threads, I appreciate the effort that went into them, but they're not for me. But they *are* for other people, and thats great. It's all about taste and viewpoints.

If there comes a time when you don't enjoy it anymore, then it might be good to take a break.

Its also not always a closed mind issue, people might just think someones mod looks bad, or its story isn't interesting, that isn't having a closed mind, if something doesn't appeal to someone then they're perfectly entitled to that, so long as they aren't a dick about it.

There are times when something isn't right, and its a technical issue, ie: the perspective is off in a piece of art, or the shadows aren't correct, sometimes its a 'style' choice, and other times its nothing more than a skill issue, and pointing out and recommending how to fix something isn't negative feedback, nor is it changing someone elses art to suit them.

The most important thing is, people don't agree sometimes, but it doesn't mean anyones out to get someone else. Keep doing it if you love it, there will be someone somewhere that'll love it, sometimes they might show up at the start, sometimes you might never know they existed, but its a risk anyone takes when putting something out there for others to judge.

Incinerator

« Reply #10 on: 2018-08-30 18:31:58 »
I appreciate the effort that went into them, but they're not for me. But they *are* for other people, and thats great. It's all about taste and viewpoints.

good way to look at it.

The most important thing is, people don't agree sometimes, but it doesn't mean anyones out to get someone else. Keep doing it if you love it, there will be someone somewhere that'll love it, sometimes they might show up at the start, sometimes you might never know they existed, but its a risk anyone takes when putting something out there for others to judge.

and that.
Now I can return to work with my answers I seeked and press on.

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
Chill out folks!
« Reply #11 on: 2018-08-30 20:31:50 »

All I have to say is that we are all brothers in this community!

Unique thing that unites us is the love and sharing for what is going to be forgotten without this fanbase. Evolution has always been a threat to the retro scene and the only people that were able to resurrect what was meant to be forgotten were the modders.

DO not forget that we are people who share the same experiences as far as gaming styles and era is concerned. We are here to keep up with the good memories of that era that has long gone and almost been forgotten. Just recall all the good memories by using your senses to re-feel all the simple things we used to seek and needed back in the good days. It's not about appreciation or interest, it's only about the unique experiences each one has to share in anticipation of finding the right people to become receptors. If all interests matched then we wouldn't be human.

I personally appreciated and followed your work and corresponding links that you posted the former days without ever posting anything. I am not able to download the mods at that moment since there are other priorities in life but I am glad that those forums still exist and stand as a living database to come back and check the moment I need them.

Peace and love
It doesn't worth fighting during ages that demand unity!

Regards,
LeonhartGR
« Last Edit: 2018-08-30 20:35:54 by LeonhartGR »

Incinerator

Re: Chill out folks!
« Reply #12 on: 2018-08-30 23:17:51 »

All I have to say is that we are all brothers in this community!

Unique thing that unites us is the love and sharing for what is going to be forgotten without this fanbase. Evolution has always been a threat to the retro scene and the only people that were able to resurrect what was meant to be forgotten were the modders.

DO not forget that we are people who share the same experiences as far as gaming styles and era is concerned. We are here to keep up with the good memories of that era that has long gone and almost been forgotten. Just recall all the good memories by using your senses to re-feel all the simple things we used to seek and needed back in the good days. It's not about appreciation or interest, it's only about the unique experiences each one has to share in anticipation of finding the right people to become receptors. If all interests matched then we wouldn't be human.

I personally appreciated and followed your work and corresponding links that you posted the former days without ever posting anything. I am not able to download the mods at that moment since there are other priorities in life but I am glad that those forums still exist and stand as a living database to come back and check the moment I need them.

Peace and love
It doesn't worth fighting during ages that demand unity!

Regards,
LeonhartGR

that's a nice read, thank you.

strife98

• Global moderator
  • Doink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2018-09-01 12:59:47 »
I haven't made a mod for anything, but I agree with a lot of what has been said here. If you want to make something, anything, not just a mod, then you should do it for yourself and if people don't like or appreciate it oh well. It wasn't made for them, you made it and put your passion into it and nothing should make you feel bad about that. I've checked out your mod and while I haven't tried it, I do enjoy seeing what you have done cause in all honesty it's really impressive. You shouldn't feel unappreciated because some people don't like your style or the mod. You put a lot of effort into your work and it shows. That goes for everyone else here. All the work I see here is just fantastic and no matter how big or small a project is, the work and dedication to even try to do this is fantastic and I among with a lot of others appreciate what you all have done. You shouldn't shame all for the words of a few. You should be proud and accomplished for what you've done. Without your hard work your mod wouldn't exist and even if it's only a few people who enjoy what you've created then that's people you've made happy and that's nothing to scoff at. Keep up the great work Incinerator, and everyone else. We really appreciate everything that you do and hope you continue to bring a bit of happiness to our lives.
« Last Edit: 2018-09-01 13:02:37 by strife98 »

Incinerator

« Reply #14 on: 2018-09-01 16:49:32 »
I haven't made a mod for anything, but I agree with a lot of what has been said here. If you want to make something, anything, not just a mod, then you should do it for yourself and if people don't like or appreciate it oh well. It wasn't made for them, you made it and put your passion into it and nothing should make you feel bad about that. I've checked out your mod and while I haven't tried it, I do enjoy seeing what you have done cause in all honesty it's really impressive. You shouldn't feel unappreciated because some people don't like your style or the mod. You put a lot of effort into your work and it shows. That goes for everyone else here. All the work I see here is just fantastic and no matter how big or small a project is, the work and dedication to even try to do this is fantastic and I among with a lot of others appreciate what you all have done. You shouldn't shame all for the words of a few. You should be proud and accomplished for what you've done. Without your hard work your mod wouldn't exist and even if it's only a few people who enjoy what you've created then that's people you've made happy and that's nothing to scoff at. Keep up the great work Incinerator, and everyone else. We really appreciate everything that you do and hope you continue to bring a bit of happiness to our lives.

Another sincere heartfelt read, thank you too.