Author Topic: [PSX/PC] Alternate Fantasy (v3.2 & v6.0)  (Read 266611 times)

Tirlititi

• View Profile
[PSX/PC] Alternate Fantasy (v3.2 & v6.0)
« on: 2015-08-26 18:21:40 »
Final Fantasy IX: Alternate Fantasy is a mod aiming to increase the difficulty and, above all, to give a new experience of FF9 for those who already know the game well.

Since v6.0 (Steam), Alternate Fantasy must be installed using Memoria's Mod Manager, for the PC version.
┌─────────────────────────────────┐
§ Alternate Fantasy v6.0 through Memoria §
┌────┴─────────────────────────────────┴────┐
§ Direct link to Memoria.Patcher.exe (same as above) §
└───────────────────────────────────────────┘

If you are playing the PSX emulated version, use one of these links instead (the mod didn't update since v3.2 on PSX due to console limitations):
┌─────────────────────────────┐
§  Alternate Fantasy v3.2 (PSX - US)  §
├─────────────────────────────┤
§  Alternate Fantasy v3.2 (PSX - FR)  §
├─────────────────────────────┤
§  Alternate Fantasy v3.2 (PSX - IT)  §
└─────────────────────────────┘

For the PSX version, you install it by applying a PPF patch to the original game files. You can use the tool PPF-O-MATIC that is included in the mod archive.

For the Steam version, the mod can be downloaded and installed automatically by Memoria's Mod Manager. Below are a couple of screenshots detailing the installation process step by step.

Download and run Memoria.Patcher.exe

Hopefully the patching process goes fine
If your game is not installed in the standard Steam directory, or in a external hard drive, try moving the patcher to your game directory before running it

When launching the game, the "Install Mods" button opens Memoria's Mod Manager

Download "Alternate Fantasy" from the catalog

Don't forget to activate it after installation
In most situations, the Moguri Mod should be moved to the bottom of the list (this is because Moguri Mod 8.3.0.0 packs a couple of assets that are duplicates of the game's default assets; placing it at the bottom has no impact or very small impacts on Moguri's features)

The following is a description of the Steam's latest version (v6.0).
Several features are not present in the PSX version of the mod.

What are the modifications?
A lot of them. Most are gameplay related but a few of them are also about the screenplay. There are two kinds of scenario-related changes:
1) A few dialogs that were suppressed during the game's development are put back in this mod. It includes the dialogs from the "Hidden Dialogs" patch plus a few others for which only the texts were kept.
2) Beatrix can be permanently recruited after getting the airship (optional), cutscenes are changed from this point onward to include Beatrix in them.

Here is a list of the dialogs suppressed by the developpers and put back:
Spoiler: show
• Extra dialog between Puck and Vivi over Alexandria's roofs, unmissable
• A small line in the ATE "Time To Escape", missable
• An extended dialog between Steiner and Morrid, unmissable
• An extra ATE in Cleyra's cathedral, missable
• A few lines in Pinnacle Rocks, after the first meeting with Ramuh, unmissable
• An extra minigame in the occupied Linblum Castle, unmissable
• A couple of lines in the base level of the occupied Linblum Castle, unmissable
• An extra minigame when controlling Vivi in Alexandria for the 2nd time, missable

Also, there are 4 new bosses that can be fought at the end of the game.
For that, speak to Hades after defeating Lich and obtaining a Pumice: he will challenge you with new fights.
Spoiler: show
• The 3 Black Waltzes fighting together
• The 2nd opus of Tantarian, available only if you defeated it in Alexandria's Castle
• Meltigemini, with pieces of real twins inside
• The 4 Guardians fighting together

And Excalibur II can now be acquired by two different methods:
1) Reach and beat Hades in less than 14 hours,
2) Get all the collectable treasures of the game (there are 3 little mistakes allowed) to obtain the highest treasure rank.
Including a few Mimics, that makes 404 unique treasures to find.
The list is the same as in vanilla (for the locations at least) and can be found in this topic.

Gameplay-wise, there are a lot of changes. The battle system has been reworked, always with the aim of having more balanced mechanics and open to diverse strategies.

Here is a list of these changes: it is more or less written in decreasing order of importance, which allows you to stop reading whenever you don't want to know any more.

Changes in the abilities

An extended description of each ability can be found in this spreadsheet.

In particular:
• Some abilities are short-ranged, meaning that they are influenced by the character's row [in vanilla, only the attack command is] and back attacks. They also can't be used against out-of-range enemies.
• Some abilities can deal critical strikes [in vanilla, only the attack command can], which doubles their damage.
• Some abilities use the properties of the character's weapon, which includes its element (if the ability has an element, both are taken into account) [in vanilla, only No Mercy, Stock Break and Shock does that], the bonus given by killer abilities and the weapon's status if the supporting ability Add Status is enabled [in vanilla, only the attack command does that].

• With Bandit enabled, stealing all the 4 items of an enemy cannot take more than 10 attempts:
The super-common item is stolen at the 1st attempt,
The common item is stolen for sure after 1 unsuccessful steal,
The rare item is stolen for sure after 2 other unsuccessful steals,
The super-rare item is stolen for sure after 3 other unsuccessful steals.
When Master Thief is also enabled, only 1 unsuccessful steal can be done between each successful steals (so all the items are stolen after 7 attempts maximum), and the most rare items have the priority.
When Bandit is not enabled and the first steal's random check fails, the counter of unsuccessful steals is not increased [as in vanilla, the first random check is "Random(0, Caster's level + spirit - 1) ≥ Random(0, Target's level - 1)" ; this check is bypassed by Bandit].
Zidane can still steal items with luck, in which case the counter of unsuccessful steals neither increase or reset.

• The trance of any ally can be manually triggered using Zidane's Transcend skill provided that the gauge is already at 50% at least.
• Beatrix has a double-cast Seiken + White Magic trance.
• Quina's trance has changed to Double Blue.
• Scan cannot miss anymore [in vanilla, it misses against most bosses and several special enemies],
Summons are special for 3 reasons:
 1) As in Vanilla, their power increases with the number of jewels that you own (except for Odin for which it is a penalty), up to a +49 bonus [+99 in vanilla],
 2) Their power increases each time you cast them, up to 50 times for a bonus of +50,
 3) The first time you cast a summon in a battle, it gets priority over the other commands: it is summoned before the other commands in queue, even if the ATB gauge was filled after. When Dagger and Eiko are both in the battle, summons get priority once for both of them.
• Stellar Circle 5 and Meo Twister increase the critical rate on the enemies, adding a 33% chance to the default critical chance (non cumulative).
Gravity damage are now effective against all the enemies, including bosses. Their power is divided by 4 against bosses [in vanilla, Gravity spells always miss on most bosses].
• Using a Soft on a stone-type enemy cuts its current HP in half. It deals 1/8 of a boss's current HP against a boss instead [in vanilla, using a Soft on a stone-type enemy immediatly kills it].

Note that some weapons get a special power bonus with the Attack command (thief swords and knight swords are empowered by spirit, rackets are empowered by speed and Save The Queen is empowered by level). As in vanilla, this bonus only applies when using the Attack command.

Supporting Abilities

Auto-Shell, Auto-Protect, Cheat Fate (immunes against Doom) and Fidget are added to several characters.
When Fidget is activated, the character changes row everytime s/he attacks.
Bright Eyes, Restore HP, Reflectx2 and Gamble Defence are removed.
Accuracy+ now immunes against Blind [in vanilla, physical attacks cannot miss with Accuracy+ even under Blind, the only effect of which is then to remove the character's evasion against enemy attacks].
Protect Girls triggers anytime [in vanilla, it triggers only under 50% of Max HP].
Cover triggers under 50% of Max HP [in vanilla, it triggers only under 17% of Max HP (yellow HP)].

The way that most damage modifiers work has changed:
• When accumulated, the damage bonuses give +50%, +100%, +125%, +150%, +162%, +175%, etc... (the theoretical limit is a bonus of +200%, which is 3 times the base power),
• For Steiner's trance, these bonuses are doubled to +100%, +200%, +250%, +300%, +325%, +350%, etc... [in vanilla, Steiner's attack command gets a +200% bonus instead of the usual +50% given by Trance; it is not the case anymore],
• The damage penalties cancel damage bonuses,
• If there are more damage penalties than bonuses, the damage are halved that many times.
Damage bonuses include Killer abilities, elemental equipment boosts, target's elemental weaknesses, Berserk or Trance, target's Sleep, target's Mini, back attack, special supporting abilities (High Jump, Concentrate, Power Throw) and MP Attack (Attack command only).
Damage penalties include Mini (for most of magic attacks), short-ranged attacks from back row, multi-targeting a spell that can be single-target, target's elemental resistances, target's defend, target's shell or protect.
Critical strikes (damage x2), summon short forms (damage x0.67) and physical attacks under Mini (damage drastically lowered) are not concerned by the above.
[In vanilla, the damage are multiplied by 1.5 for each bonus instead, except that killer abilities, elemental boosts, weaknesses and resistances are applied no more than once each.]

Fixed Return Magic non working on Necron or behaving differently than in the PSX version of the game (multi-target spells are now multi-target returned).

Statuses

The duration and speed of statuses has been reworked.
They are now independant of the fighter's spirit, except for Doom and Gradual Petrify (the more spirit you have, the longer it takes).
Haste and Slow respectively decreases and increases the status duration and respectively speed up and slow down the ticks of Poison, Venom and Regen.
[In vanilla, the more spirit you have, the longer statuses last, except for Doom and Gradual Petrify that are running faster with higher spirit. The ticks of Regen are also faster while the ticks of Poison and Venom are slower.]

Blind makes the target selection unreliable, for both the enemies and the player characters:

In this situation, Garnet is blinded:
- single-targeting Vivi or Zidane is unreliable (either one can be aimed at in the end) because they are both on Garnet's right side,
- single-targeting oneself is reliable,
- single-targeting Quina is reliable because s/he is the only one on Garnet's left side,
- single-targeting any enemy is unreliable (any enemy can be aimed at in the end),
- multi-targeting is reliable.

Float gives a +30% evasion bonus against physical attacks if the attacker doesn't float.
Remedies cure Poison, Venom, Silence, Blind, Stop, Mini, Gradual Petrify, Confuse, Heat and Freeze [in vanilla, it doesn't cure Confuse, Heat and Freeze].
Phoenix Pinions cure Doom (they also cost and sell cheaper).
Vanish is efficient against more attacks (all the short-ranged physical attacks).
Defending protects against many negative statuses: Silence, Blind, Confuse, Berserk, Sleep, Heat, Freeze and GradualPetrify.
Confuse triggers a back attack bonus half of the time [in vanilla, only back attacks at the start of battles and running away can trigger a back attack bonus].
Silence drastically lowers trance increase.

Poison and Doom can now be inflicted to several bosses.
For Poison, the damage per tick on bosses is 1/64 of Max HP instead of 1/16.
For Doom, a boss doesn't die at the end of the countdown but looses 1/5 of its Max HP instead.

Heat and Freeze last only a short time. Freeze lasts 1.5 times longer than Heat.
Vanish and Sleep last longer.
The ticks of venom are 1.5 times slower than the ticks of Regen or Poison [in vanilla, they are 2 times slower].

Steiner's Break abilities can be used against bosses but are less effective [in vanilla, they are just as effective as usual]:
• Power/Magic Break: bring to 80% of the boss's normal stat, instead of 67%.
• Armor/Mental Break: bring to 67% of the boss's normal stat, instead of 50%.
These can be used again if the enemy somehow changes its stat through a special ability.

Enemies

Reasonably increased the stats of enemies and made them harder through their AI.
The Max MP of the enemies have been drastically lowered in order to get emptied in a decent amount of time through MP damage.

Changes to the party's abilities reflect on the enemies' abilities.
More statuses are inflicted by enemy attacks and spells.
More abilities can be critical strikes, especially the physical attacks [in vanilla, a non-missable physical attack, like Ark's Boomerang, doesn't have critical] or the breaths.

The class of several enemies has been changed. Enemies are not automatically "birds" as soon as they are floating or flying, and there are more "humanoids".
Classification is less restricted by gameplay constraints [in vanilla, a few bosses are not "stone" or "zombie" despite the evidence because it would mean a free win; it is no longer the case].

Ragtime Mouse's questions are modified.
Quina may eat humanoids [in vanilla, they are non edible, like most bosses].

Miscellaneous

A few chests have a changed content. In particular:
• The Dragon's Hair and the Kain Lance are switched, making Dragon's Hair only available in late game,
• The Tiger Racket is only available after the return of the mist and seeing a cutscene with Quan (this specific optional cutscene is thus delayed),
• Several Hammers can be obtained; Hammers can be used by Vivi, Eiko and Dagger to improve their strength,
• Several acclaimed prices in Treno's Auction House have a delayed availability (Dark Matter in particular).

The elemental weakness given by pieces of equipment are now given in their description [in vanilla, they are hidden].
The Cotton Robe money trick was removed (they sell a bit less).
A couple of weapons can be used by several characters (for instance, Dagger can use the... dagger).
The ultimate weapons give a big boost to main characteristics (Strength, Magic, Speed and Spirit).
A few minigames have been tweaked.

Note about the version "Beatrix-only"

That version is meant to provide additional content without changing the difficulty or the gameplay of the vanilla (non-modded) game. It includes:
• Recruitable Beatrix (with cutscenes, abilities, trance etc.),
• Hidden scenes cut by the devs,
• The optional stuff that Hades offers (4 extra bosses and their rewards; the extra bosses are slightly easier since they inflict less statuses, but their damage and HP are the same as in the main version of the mod),
• Thunder Slash fix (that's the only non-optional gameplay aspect I kept in that version).

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: 2023-07-04 12:22:46 by Tirlititi »

Kefka

• View Profile
Re: [FF9] Alternate Fantasy (v3.0)
« Reply #1 on: 2015-08-27 08:35:01 »
Nice work, man! Is this mod only for the english version of the game or also for others?

Some of your new abilities sound interesting, but I'm worried about Zidane's ability to go into trance automatically. That seems way overpowered to me (unless you really downgraded the power of his dyne skills a lot and/or increased their MP cost).

I'm curious about having weapons be usable by several party members, does their "stance" in or their attack movement in battle really support that? I've never tried that myself because I thought the in-battle models might look awkward (imagine Eiko holding a big sword and attacking with it, lol). I'm trying to imagine how Dagger would look holding a dagger.

I didn't even know about a dummied-out minigame in the original! What exactly is it and when and where can you play it?

I'll look into it as soon as I find some spare time.

Tirlititi

• View Profile
Re: [FF9] Alternate Fantasy (v3.0)
« Reply #2 on: 2015-08-27 17:31:47 »
Thanks.
Yes, Dyne abilities also cost more MP. Transcend is also made available only late in the game.

The usability of weapons for other characters is not abused of, that's the only thing I'll say ^^

The minigame is at the beginning of disc 3, in Alexandria, while controlling Vivi. You'll hardly miss it.

gorildo

• View Profile
Re: [FF9] Alternate Fantasy (v3.2)
« Reply #3 on: 2015-11-06 15:59:15 »
I would like to ask you some things. But first of all just wanted to let you know, I own both the original release of the game and the Square-Enix re-release. I correctly dumped my copies and they're perfect according to the latest Redump data.

The .ppf file works just fine on version 1.0, but on 1.1 it gives a binblock error, so I'm unsure what could happen. In the latest release they fixed the gold chocobo bug though, and I don't know what else. Just a heads up.

Anyway:

- Is this the final version?
- Have you changed item locations, chests and what is in the steal/drop slots?

Tirlititi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2015-11-06 17:51:06 »
Hum...
I was not aware of a 1.1 release from Squaresoft. I heard about the Gold chocobo bug (it is the fact that you can enter Ipsen's Castle before the Mount Gulug segment, right?) but didn't know it gave birth to 2 versions of the game.

I've no idea if the patch would work with both versions then... It may or may not depending on the amount of changes.

To answer your questions, I don't think the version 3.2 will be the final version of all times. However I won't update any 4.0 version soon (not before 1 or 2 years, being optimistic). Also, I modified few of the treasures (about 10 of them) and a bit more concerning steals and drops. That's not the core of my mod (though it may be more important in future versions).

gorildo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2015-11-10 01:57:46 »
That's good to know, some 2 years will do wonders for helping forgetting a few things about the game and refreshing my memory. There's some things I'd like to suggest:

- First, I'm personally very bothered by the way the stat bonus system in this game works. I think it would be best if there were fixed stat growth. I'm paranoid about leveling up until much later in the game.
- Faster frog spawning.
- Having to ignore the items on the fourth slot really hurts my OCD, it would be better if there were none in that slot until you get Thief Cuffs, OR...
- Enable it earlier, on Disc 2, along with Rat's Tail. I honestly doesn't see this affecting the game balance at all.
- I checked out your Beatrix vs Beatrix vs Beatrix video on the other thread, it's pretty cool, I wonder if you have any ideas for it, would be cool.

I can already do some of that with some cheating or some basic editing here and there, but anyway.

I'll eagerly await for more.  8)

iloveyou771

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2015-11-14 09:06:15 »
Beatrix replace Steiner as a full playable character...love beatrix

Stellary

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2015-12-24 14:48:34 »
Hello!

Where the hell is Tiger Racket in this mod?

I've just gotten dark-blue chocobo, looked everywhere for it and no sight of it.

Please tell me the location or at least if I can only get it in Disc 4.

Vir

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2016-01-16 01:21:49 »
Hi Tirlititi,

I didn't know HW could fix the card score glitch; I'm surprised I overlooked that when you first released this mod! Is there much to it? My mod fixes what bugs it can, so if I can do this one, I suppose I shall. Thank you for your input.

Tirlititi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2016-01-16 09:31:30 »
Hey Vir. Unfortunatly, it can't fix the card glitch ; I fixed that glitch directly by hex-editing. That and the name switching of Eiko's Fenrir were the 2 things I've done by hex editing (though you can modify summoning names without problem now).

I still don't understand where this card glitch comes from. I guess it's some issue with the MIPS code (a kind of ASM). You can see in Hades Workshop that the card menu's texts begin with the different ranks, and "Would you like to discard this card?" comes right after in the list. The only thing you can do using HW is exchanging the last rank with this discard text, that is the first 2 steps of the instructions detailled here.

For the third step, however, it would need more features related to the menus UI to make it feasible with HW.

If you hex-edit the files, you can add them to your patch made with HW, though :
1) create your patch without the glitch fix,
2) duplicate your game file and apply the patch to one of them,
3) hex-edit the patched file to fix the glitch,
4) use the program MakePPF to create a new .ppf patch containing all the fixes.

Vir

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2016-01-16 14:57:15 »
As always, thanks for the info!

Nikkolas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2016-02-25 22:36:52 »
Hey Tirlititi, I've been playing your mod and so far things seem pretty tame and same to the normal game. Just beat Black Waltz No 1 ad Sealion on my first attempt.  Although I am grateful that this isn't quite as grueling as the Insane Difficulty "Unleashed" mod, I am curious if there is a noticeable difficulty curve at some point?

But regardless, the changes you've made sound very intriguing and I will see this through to the end. I was just wondering if there are any difficulty spikes. Don't want to get complacent now.
« Last Edit: 2016-02-25 23:02:24 by Nikkolas »

Tirlititi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2016-02-26 09:18:45 »
Are you sure you applied the patch correctly? Because Black Waltz 1 is kinda not the same as the normal game and changes should already have struck you more.
If Vivi's Mage Staff doesn't teach MP+20%, for example, then you're playing vanilla game.

Other than that, the difficulty curve is quiet smooth ; the Alexandria rescue part is a bit more difficult and the end of CD 2 is a bit more relaxing. No difficulty spikes anywhere.
Also, besides maybe Necron and Ozma, it was thought to be beatable with no grinding at all.

Nikkolas

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2016-02-26 12:08:24 »
Yes I have the patch on. I was just lucky and had Trance ready to go right at the start of the BW #1 fight so I killed him pretty fast. lol I guess I didn't get to appreciate the changes to the boss.

But man, your Beatrix fight is harder than even Unleashed's. Actually making you have to beat her to a certain point instead of just running out the clock was a welcome surprise.  The only grinding I've done is for a bit of extra money and even then it wasn't too much. But man, I am ever thankful I thought to let Freya win the Festival of the Hunt. Without that Coral Ring and Cover, I can't imagine how I would have ever won. Even with those two, it wasn't easy. She hits so hard and so fast, even with Silk Shirts on everyone to reduce Thunder Slash's damage.

But yeah, it does look like your mod is more relaxing, as you say. I was used to Unleashed which threatened to kill you at every turn even with random encounters. Not so much here. off course, it lulled me into a false sense of security from which Beatrix rudely awakened me.

But in the end I won! And I even managed to get all 3 Steals.

I am enjoying myself a lot. Your mod is a lot more balanced than what I had previously seen in FFIX mods. I think it's the fact you kept in Attack increases on equipment. Unleashed removed that. It basically made Focus Spamming Vivi the real member of the team while everyone else was support. But in your mod, everyone is pretty useful so far.

I am eager to start Disk 2 later today and then hopefully beat the game within the next week.
« Last Edit: 2016-02-26 12:14:33 by Nikkolas »

Tirlititi

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2016-02-26 19:32:33 »
Glad you found some consistency in the difficulty :)
Indeed, that's a lot easier than Unleashed ; my goal was not a difficulty mod but more a "renew the Final Fantasy IX experience" mod.

Nikkolas

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2016-02-27 02:53:08 »
Question.

What determines Beatrix using Stock Break in the third fight? Is it time?

If you go to town on her, you can deplete her health really fast between Magic Sword and Zidane's physical attacks w/MP Attack.
HOWEVER, I am one of those FFIX players who thinks it is mandatory to steal all items from bosses. It's part of the challenge of the boss fight, as far as I'm concerned.  But whenever I spent too much time trying to get that Survival Vest, she inevitably busts out Stock Break. There's no healer at all in this fight and your party will have low HP due to a combination of Doom and Shock KO'ing everyone. In short, there's really no way to deal with it as far as I can see.

Also I hope you don't mind Save States. I only do them before bosses so I don't have to rewatch cutscenes over and over.

Tirlititi

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2016-02-27 09:38:22 »
Yes, it's time. I think it's after 8 turns that Stock Break gets enabled. The battle becomes really tough from this point, but you can get to back row to tank a little bit more.
Also, you can actually displace your characters inside the menu to choose which ones should be placed on the sides. This way you choose which characters will inevitably take Stock Break and which will have a chance to avoid it.

I don't mind the way you play your game ^^
I'm not sure you ever asked Mr. Sakaguchi about save states :p

Nikkolas

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2016-02-28 04:07:45 »
I'm glad to hear that. I just recall reading how one modder somewhere removed save points in a game because he felt being able to save so often meant you didn't try as hard during boss fights.

Out of curiosity, can you change the success rate of Steal? I am convinced this...unpleasantness with the Fairy Flute and Hillgigars is some kind of mistake on the developers' part. I could easily destroy the boss - Focus + Drain = 2000 damage a pop just from Vivi - but I've spent the last couple hours and countless attempts trying to steal from this giant jackass and I'm so tired.

Tirlititi

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2016-02-28 09:22:34 »
I did change the steal rate of Hilgigar's and Beatrix 1's rare steal. They are 6.25% rate steals instead of the normal 0.39% rate. This at least has been changed the same way in my mod and LandonRay's Unleashed. I guess you were just unlucky.

Nikkolas

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2016-02-28 12:15:21 »
Yeah, I didn't have this much trouble with getting it in Unleashed. I did finally get it here, though. Then I couldn't get the Poison Knuckles from Amarant because that's just a waste of time. With him constantly inflicting Slow on Zidane, it's just a needless waste of time. One-on-one fights in these types of games are almost always tedious, nothing you or anyone can do about that.

Now I'm at the start of Disk 3 though. Game is soon gonna open up at last. For Unleashed, I went with a party of Zidane/Freya/Amarant/Eiko. It worked pretty well. I have already seen some of the differences for your Zidane Freya compared to Unleashed's but I dunno if I want to rock the same team, even if they are different. I want to try and make more use of  Quina and collect all your unique Blue Magic.
« Last Edit: 2016-02-28 12:18:32 by Nikkolas »

Nikkolas

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2016-02-29 16:02:39 »
Well this isnt my first game over but its the first one that just made me put down the controller.

Desert Palace. I ferning hate it.

But this isn't Unleashed. I didn't spend hours getting Garnet, Eiko, Vivi and Quina Half MP.. I didn't stock up on 60 Ethers.  I didn't think I needed to be super prepared or to worry about random encounters.

And what happens? I go into a random encounter with those two floaty jackasses. I see things are looking grim as Vivi is dying and losing MP and not moving which I hadn't noticed. I tell Garnet to just summon them to death. CAN'T CONCENTRATE. fern, now she's dead. Okay, Eiko, Fenrir them. Nope, now she's Frozen. And then she and Quina died to Bio.

ferning status effects. I have a lot of my AP sunk into  Auto Haste for everyone. AI should care more about Antibody or even Body Temp but there are otehr things I wanted. I thought I could handle it. I was handling it, up until this fight. fern.

This has always been my least favorite dungeon in this game. I was right near the end, too. Goddam.

Nikkolas

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2016-03-02 08:43:00 »
Luck was on my side I guess. I beat Silver Dragon, Garland and Kuja all on my first try, and got all their steals very quickly. That one attack of Kuja's was nasty though, that reduced everyone's HP permanently to 1. Luckily I got the Light Robe before he had managed to inflict it on more than Zidane and Quina.

EDIT:

Very interesting gimmick with the Tiamant fight. Thank goodness I got; the Grand Helm early. Now I need to grind for Hades. Everyone is only around Level 50 and I don't think thats enough.

EDIT 2:

Okay I beat Hades without grinding although I dare say there was a lot of luck involved. If he starts with Powering Sword and steals Remedies than uses Curse, you're just plain old screwed. I don't think there's anything you can do there.

Fortunately for me,  on my successful run,  he just used Freeze and Mustard Bomb and his sword attaks. Between Zidane having Trance right off the bat, Steiner's Sword Dance and Garnet's Bahamut, we beat him pretty fast.

I gave up on stealing the Robe of Lords. You cannot screw around in this fight or risk losing all your best items. Besides, I can Synth one anyway, or steal it from Quale. At least I could in the old game, dunno if you changed this.
« Last Edit: 2016-03-02 13:10:10 by Nikkolas »

Tirlititi

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2016-03-02 16:31:26 »
Congrats ! If you keep winning, then it can't be all about luck :p
I'm quiet sure I didn't change the different ways to get the Robe of Lords ; I did that for the Protect Rings but not for the Robe.

That's a good thing you can beat Hades without grinding too much. When I changed the Excalibur II requirements, I admit that I didn't think a lot about the feasability of "beating Hades before 14 hours". It seemed possible but since I don't speedrun and I don't have a good idea of how much time the difficulty increase would demand, I'm not sure it's actually possible ^^"

Next come Kraken and Lich :D

Nikkolas

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2016-03-03 00:03:29 »
Yeah, I don't much like speedruns either. It feels like it defeats the point of RPGs, which, for me at least, is to give you something to do for like a week.

Out of curiosity, how does your Ozma stack up to Unleashed's? I could never beat Ozma there. It was all that damned Curse's fault. It did crazy damage and 9/10 wiped my party straight away. My poor Level 77 party was no match for him. If we could ever survive, damaging it wuldn't have been an issue but we just couldn't.

Is Lich's Final Sentence dependent on someone having Auto Haste on? That's a nasty surprise.

Trance Kuja was a fairly simple affair. Necron beat me, though. He's just so fast and Grand Cross' status effects can really pile on you. Still, I'm pretty sure he's beatable. Just need to be more prepared. No real way to protect against Zombie or Berserk but I can at least guard against Body Temp. I'll try him again later.

EDIT:

I wish I had my original team... Maybe sub out Freya for Quina but otherwise, Eiko is WAY better than Garnet for t his and Amarant' support abilities, plus Throw, would be really handy.

As it is, I'm at the mercy of waiting for Mighty Guard to dissipate so I can do real damage and I have to pray I get Reflect on him before he uses Regen on himself. If Eiko was here, I could Dispel all of that and this fight be so much simpler.

I also don't understand the turn order. Sometimes he just gets no less than four turns in a row. What can I do about a Blue Shockwave followed by a Meteor? The answer is nothing.
« Last Edit: 2016-03-03 13:06:00 by Nikkolas »

Tirlititi

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2016-03-03 20:27:13 »
Ozma can still be very random and say "no" to a perfectly prepared team. There are however a few tricks possible to lower that random aspect and make him more accessible. Still a tense fight (contrary to Necron, I didn't increase his HP).

Yeah, I thought it was a shame that Dispel was so useless in the normal game, so here it can take care of a few problems ^^
Necron's ATB is a bit tricky since he actually has 4 ATB bars. The main one is the fastest and casts Blue Shockwave and Grand Cross (and Neutron Ring in vanilla ; here it became a counter). The other ATBs use respectively the -aga spells, the Cure/Buff spells and the Flare/Holy/Meteor megaspells. So yeah, you can't do a lot if he gets several turns at once ^^
But knowing that, you can care a bit more of the ATB trick : it's not always a good idea to let the ATB run while Necron is casting.