Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] Multiple mods and Modding Framework-The Reunion [R06f]  (Read 3007624 times)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
And nobody is forcing people like you to post on this thread, either.  The thread is here for constructive feedback and for releases - not for you to gripe and create accounts to troll further.  I'll just shove any more like you on ignore.  That's sad for you, because it means all your feedback will go unread.

In fact, that's the new policy.  If anyone posts something here that pisses me off, it's instant ignore. No warnings. Nothing.

That goes for people who ignore the main post and ask questions already answered there.  With some exceptions to long time members.  The rest, smited. I'm not messing about anymore with this crap.
« Last Edit: 2019-10-30 21:30:58 by DLPB »

kalathi

• View Profile
Hi, I've been watching this play out for about a month now and wanna throw in my 2 cents on "numpty" now that the other thread has been locked: Not DLPB(cactusjack901) is my hero currently.

I've been wanting to revisit FF7 with the translation patch since October started, but I just happened to stumble in as things went into flux. It has been pretty frustrating seeing multiple self-set deadlines pass, even more so when I can't even resort to the last released build.

The imposter DLPB provided a download, I've got the game setup, finally I can play. Dude was straight-up the answer to my prayers after Monday came and went yet again, and I genuinely appreciate the service provided.

I don't understand the outrage about the picture and what not. It seemed pretty tongue & cheek, and as someone who sort-of shares cactusjack's sentiments about this ordeal I found it pretty funny. Seems like someone taking the piss out the situation was inevitable after the numerous delays.

It's fine to be happy to finally have a download to play, but I'm not sure why you would call someone behaving as a deliberate bad actor your 'hero' or even feel the need to come in here and rub it in DLPB's face, honestly. Nothing about that impostor's behavior was okay, and that's before considering his provision of links to something the author no longer wants distributed. Modding / programming is an artform in itself and I think you'd find musicians and visual artists would be just as upset at someone for posting their work all over the place against their express wishes -- doubly so if said person was gloating about it the whole way through.

Cupcake

• And then it dawned on me, that Satan is also an old fuck.
    • View Profile
I'm just saying, maybe don't take the download down while the new one is still vaporware man.

That’s exactly my issue, despite what DLPB says.  Any trolling I may do around is here towards him (and only him), more often than not, just because I hate his attitude.  Anxious Heart has been outright unavailable for 2+years now, pending Reunion R06.  fern that, I have it, I’ll maintain a link.  DLPB wants only the latest version available.  fern that, maybe I prefer the older version for some reason (literally the exact issue that kicked all this off years ago).  Public releases stay public.

d1474796

• View Profile
« Reply #4903 on: 2019-10-30 21:59:38 »
« Last Edit: 2019-11-22 08:35:16 by Lorath »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
The Reunion doesn't touch the Save file data, so there's no issue there.

d1474796

• View Profile
« Reply #4905 on: 2019-10-30 22:02:25 »
« Last Edit: 2019-11-22 08:35:34 by Lorath »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
It's very possible that Tonberry comes from French Tombe (grave). I'll see what Luksy says - the pronunciation is correct.

That's my best shot at it from looking into it again.
« Last Edit: 2019-10-31 02:28:07 by DLPB »

fromage_baguette

• View Profile
Also, any french speakers here?  Possible that Tonberry comes from Tombe (grave)? Does get pronounced "toom" or "tomb" Looks like it's "tom-b" which would fit.

That's my best shot at it from looking into it again.

Ze French have arrived.

It is indeed pronounced "tom-b" in French.

Side note, I've been a lurker since I purchased the game 3 weeks ago. I've been eagerly waiting for RC06 before starting a game, but just learned that I can start a game on vanilla and use it with Reunion when it's released, as per your previous comment. Thank you for all of your hard work!!!

Aavock

• View Profile
"Tombe" is indeed a grave (and also the verb "to fall" ("tomber") in present tense: "he falls" = "il tombe") and we do pronounce the letter "b" at the end (in both cases).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdz9-GR5Zvk

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
If Luksy agrees it's grammatically sound then I find tombe to be v likely the origin of the name and I'll change it for the non canon version

fffreakazoid

• View Profile
Yes, I read the FAQ, but I still gotta ask:

Any plans to integrate/add mod support for the "Remako" mod? Or maybe do something simillar yourself in a future version?

Those upscaled backgrounds and FMVs are a real game changer as far as I'm concerned.

strife98

• Global moderator
  • Doink!
    • View Profile
If Luksy agrees it's grammatically sound then I find tombe to be v likely the origin of the name and I'll change it for the non canon version

Noooooooooo don't change my Tonberry's T^T Why do you hate me sooooo~

Kuraudo.

• SOLDIER
  • Maktub
    • View Profile
    • Behemoth Productions
I don't know about japanese spelling but in FFVIII italian version we do have Tomberry. Tomba=Tomb

unab0mb

• 7th Heaven Crew
    • View Profile
    • 7th Heaven Web Site
Yes, I read the FAQ, but I still gotta ask:

Any plans to integrate/add mod support for the "Remako" mod? Or maybe do something simillar yourself in a future version?

Those upscaled backgrounds and FMVs are a real game changer as far as I'm concerned.

No offense to CaptRobau, he did great work, but Remako seems more or less like a proof of concept that won't get off the hype train.  It is outdated now and there are much better upscales that are new and supported. I recommend Satsuki's.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
On Tomberi - Luksy's opinion is it's a bit far out to consider they's pull french for it (there are other monsters that come from French though).  But at the same time, there's at least some possibility that one way or another "tomb" is the underlying reason for the name.  I think it's much more likely than "tonberry".  Problem is...  with nothing whatsoever to go on, it's difficult to justify a name change.  Something is definitely suspicious about tombe / tomba though.  And if you search the kana you will see lots of tomb---  starting names. 

Doesn't really affect canon option anyway.
« Last Edit: 2019-10-31 15:16:21 by DLPB »

LordUrQuan

• Alpha testing your worst nightmares
  • LOAD "FF2J",8,1
    • View Profile
Hmm... interesting line of thought.  Having something to do with tombs certainly makes sense considering their knives, lanterns, and choice of habitat.  It does make you wonder, though, if that was SE's intent, why did they change 'm' to 'n' (doesn't seem like a random spelling error given the consistency across languages), and what's "-erry" have to do with anything?

ReasonablePerson

• View Profile
It's most likely supposed to be pronounced like Tomberry as the normally n sound (ン) is followed by a b sound (ベ) causing it to change to an m. Their name is Tomberi is Spanish as well.

goznog

• View Profile
It does make you wonder, though, if that was SE's intent, why did they change 'm' to 'n' (doesn't seem like a random spelling error given the consistency across languages), and what's "-erry" have to do with anything?

to put it simply, ン can be both N and M in Japanese. if ン is followed by an M, B or P sound, it's usually pronounced as an M. for example, "zombie" is written as ゾ (zo) ン (m) ビ (bi). I'd guess that the rushed translator working on FF7 saw the ン in トンベリ, quickly wrote down Tonberry, and it was never checked since by Square. as a disclaimer I'm not a Japanese speaker at all, this is from reading a textbook ages ago.

now that I think about it, I wonder if ベリ could be a silly pun on "bury". it honestly seems like a stretch, but his battle script does incorporate an instant death attack. FF has also written 'english' words in unusual ways before:
https://legendsoflocalization.com/final-fantasy-vi/part-09/#atma-weapon
https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Floating_Eye_(Final_Fantasy_IV_2D)

just my two cents here.

I made an account here just for this mod, very much looking forward to the release. you should have a well earned break after it's all done lol
« Last Edit: 2019-10-31 16:21:03 by goznog »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Because Japanese uses "n" for m sounds also (that's why if you place the kana into google, you get lots of tomb- words).  It could easily have been missed by ff5's localizer (Enix had nothing to do with it).  Japanese doesn't work on spellings, it works on sounds.

The ending could just be a generic sound to make it a monster name.  They do that all the time too - like adding -er to japanese word for cactus for cactuer. An enemy called "tomb" sounds crap.
« Last Edit: 2019-10-31 19:05:07 by DLPB »

LordUrQuan

• LOAD "FF2J",8,1
    • View Profile
Interesting thing for them to do... we have a director (currently deployed) who was stationed in Yokosuka for a while, and told me that what's on the paper and what's hitting your ear are rarely the same over there.  I guess if you want to tweak strife and meddle with his tonberries, I'd be all for it (as long as the result isn't another tongue twister like the sormr... they do have to keep some modicum of cuteness ;) )

Luigi Brosse

• View Profile
In the French translation, it is actually spelled Tomberry.

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
In German it is also Tombery.
https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/de/wiki/Tombery

Ha, I never actually realized that this isn't a turtle-like being.
« Last Edit: 2019-10-31 22:12:45 by Kaldarasha »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
ha!  That settles it. French and German canon have spoken.

sakamdi

• View Profile
God speed your recovery DLPB

LordUrQuan

• LOAD "FF2J",8,1
    • View Profile
ha!  That settles it. French and German canon have spoken.
Any time the French and Germans agree on anything, best not get in their way  :mrgreen: