Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.99994)  (Read 4866812 times)

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.91)
« Reply #10225 on: 2020-08-14 22:39:17 »
the no gil on hard mode is useful as an indicator as to whether or not hard mode is actually on, at least!!

Just got to costa del sol, lot of fun so far. Looking at the balancing readme, if I'm reading things correctly, it feels hard to justify certain 'builds' if you want to play optimally or w/e. 50 points of vit/spr being equivalent to a respective 10% damage feels pretty underwhelming when dex does so many things (including evasion, so it kind of fills vit's role as well by increasing your ability to survive physical attacks) in addition to 50 points being equivalent to a haste buff. Maybe there's a lot of secret math going on and I'll regret this when late game enemies are pummeling me.

It's consistency, really; evasion is great as it's 100% mitigation when it works, but is 0% when it doesn't; so if the check doesn't work out in your favour it can leave you taking a lot of damage. A build focusing on defence will take damage more often but the damage is more likely to be manageable. Then on the other side of it, a high dex build can react to incoming damage more quickly because the turns come about quicker.

Some other things:

Cover negates evasion, so if you had a character looking to soak up damage for others then evasion won't do them much good. Defence or Luck would be the better stats for it, as the latter is the only way to dodge physical attacks while Covering.

For counter-attacks, they won't proc at all if the attack misses so characters can lose a bit of damage this way if they have high evasion. A high-defence character would be able to soak those hits without much trouble and then deal damage in return at a more regular rate. The dex side of this is that with a higher Dex you're more accurate, so commands like Deathblow are more viable and you can get damage in that way using it with added cut + the higher turn rate.

So I think one thing you could do with defence is set up a character with Cover, counter-attacks, and an innate that works into that like Cloud's or Barret's, then build up their defence so they can soak hits up for the party, make things a bit more stable, and convert that into outgoing damage. I also think that Magic Defence is worth investing in because, unlike physical evasion and Luck, Magic Evasion doesn't get any help from other stats; just the armour. So having a bit more in Magic Defence can be handy.
« Last Edit: 2020-08-14 22:41:49 by Sega Chief »

Doll

• View Profile
« Reply #10226 on: 2020-08-15 03:38:33 »
yeah I normally value being able to 'plan' and not rely on dodging, it's just all the extra turns that seem to tip things in favor of dex with the current amount of source points you get from upgrades being what they are. Even with Barret, who is mainly who I was thinking about making a tanky tanky since a lot of things point you in that direction, doesn't seem like it would outweigh all those extra opportunities to do damage/heal/use grenade on self... I imagine animation bottlenecks would make the dex less attractive on active time mode, though. Might still make him a cover/counterattack bot. It does feel like his destiny.
« Last Edit: 2020-08-15 08:58:09 by Doll »

chimaerath

• View Profile
« Reply #10227 on: 2020-08-15 04:04:04 »
Spoiler: show
Is Lucrecia supposed to be weak to Gravity? The fight was much much easier than expected once I realized that a floating monster could be hit with Demi3, even if it was reduced damage.

If you take the elevator in Junon up to HQ (where Barret and Tifa were to be executed), one of the maps doesn't show Cloud's walking/running annimation, and only has him sliding a stationary model as he moves. In the menu, the map is "Junon HQ, 2F". It is the map with the Save Point, between the window area (with all the computers, where Rufus ordered the cannon to fire) and the U-turn stairs area.

(Random sidenote: In my multiple playthroughs of this game, this is the first time I realized you can backtrack to that area......)
« Last Edit: 2020-08-15 04:44:02 by chimaerath »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #10228 on: 2020-08-15 15:20:46 »
Is Lucrecia supposed to be weak to Gravity? The fight was much much easier than expected once I realized that a floating monster could be hit with Demi3, even if it was reduced damage.

If you take the elevator in Junon up to HQ (where Barret and Tifa were to be executed), one of the maps doesn't show Cloud's walking/running annimation, and only has him sliding a stationary model as he moves. In the menu, the map is "Junon HQ, 2F". It is the map with the Save Point, between the window area (with all the computers, where Rufus ordered the cannon to fire) and the U-turn stairs area.

(Random sidenote: In my multiple playthroughs of this game, this is the first time I realized you can backtrack to that area......)

Yeah, I set it up for that though there's half-resistance set on there as well. I was thinking of getting rid of half-resistance against gravity on enemies and instead tweaking the %-value on the spells themselves, as it's not great to have 25% advertised on the spell but then in-battle have it dealing 12% due to resistance.

Aquarii

• View Profile
« Reply #10229 on: 2020-08-15 20:07:45 »
Type B:
So i am fighting the X-ATM Scorpion which is standing in front of the Underwater Reactor in CD2. After it summons those little robots, i´m lost. I do not stand a chance against them. They are killing me in around 2 rounds xD What is the trick here? My Group is between Level 30 and 34 :P

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #10230 on: 2020-08-15 21:44:27 »
Type B:
So i am fighting the X-ATM Scorpion which is standing in front of the Underwater Reactor in CD2. After it summons those little robots, i´m lost. I do not stand a chance against them. They are killing me in around 2 rounds xD What is the trick here? My Group is between Level 30 and 34 :P

Bolt protection is your best bet in this fight as both X-ATM and the opts have a bolt-based attack; after that, fire protection can also be a nice bonus for the main boss' W-Flare. If the gun/Laser attacks are causing issues, then a Protect Vest can be handy to reduce Shoot element damage.

When the X-ATM's tail goes up, you'll want to hold off on attacks and bolster the party  in preparation for the opts coming out and also to avoid counter-attacks from Tail Laser Mk.2. MBarrier should be a priority as you'll be getting hit with W-Shock when the tail comes down and the opts have two magic-based attacks, one of which hits the whole party.

The Opts can be hit with Insta-KO, Slow, Stop, Mini, and Paralysis. Stop+All has a decent chance of disabling some of them for a while, as does the Alexander summon. Mini may not be as useful as two of their attacks are magic-based but is worth considering if you have a spare two slots for Transform+All. Insta-KO can either be attempted using Odin or by having characters with Destruct/Odin + Added Effect in their weapon (or a weapon that has it innately, like Tifa's Kaiser Knuckle) with a roughly 20% chance of inflicting it per physical hit. If a character with Cover + Counter Attack had that on, or if a character is using Slash-All or has a weapon that targets all, then they'd be able to pick some of them off faster. The Remove spell can also do it 100%, but it's tough to unlock by this point. Kiss of Death items can also be used for a chance of inflicting insta-KO.

The main boss can be Paralysed for some relief (Cross Slash or Dazers), but can also be Silenced + Blinded. Ink or Ramuh can inflict Blind, and Silence can come from either the Silence spell, Leviathan, or an item. If that's done prior to the opts coming out then you'll have some more breathing space as he'll be missing you more often.

novadose212

• View Profile
« Reply #10231 on: 2020-08-15 23:59:10 »
Hi, I have the latest version of new threat, and I spent about an hour doing the boss fight in the purple materia cave all to come out with nothing after it?

Is this normal

chimaerath

• View Profile
« Reply #10232 on: 2020-08-16 04:50:34 »
Curator Armor's arms are supposed to grab you each, right? As in, Cait Sith was grabbed by Right Arm, released once Right Arm died, then Barret was grabbed by Left Arm, and released once Left Arm died. A much earlier post made it sound like only Right Arm could grab a character; was that later patched?

Also, the reward for Curator Armor made me laugh. I hate it, but it's funny.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #10233 on: 2020-08-16 13:52:39 »
Hi, I have the latest version of new threat, and I spent about an hour doing the boss fight in the purple materia cave all to come out with nothing after it?

Is this normal

You should get a Mega-All when you interact with the Materia in the room, which triggers the battle. The fight itself doesn't have anything special reward-wise except 20k exp, 10k gil, and 2k AP; the prize is the Materia you picked up. I suspect the length of the fight has been to do with Green's use of Regen in the 2nd phase from Dragon Flute (affected enemies will glow orange); this can be Dispelled with Dispel or a Holy Torch, or be negated with Dual-Drain (Neo-Bahamut can inflict it) but the best route is probably to just Dispel it.

Curator Armor's arms are supposed to grab you each, right? As in, Cait Sith was grabbed by Right Arm, released once Right Arm died, then Barret was grabbed by Left Arm, and released once Left Arm died. A much earlier post made it sound like only Right Arm could grab a character; was that later patched?

Also, the reward for Curator Armor made me laugh. I hate it, but it's funny.

I think the Grab behaviour was adjusted, but they should both still be capable of picking someone up so sounds like everything's fine.

Pruntarious

• View Profile
« Reply #10234 on: 2020-08-16 15:04:32 »
Can I get back to Shinra HQ in disc 3? Wanna chance my arm at this curator fella...

Also was the Dark Cave removed as well? Was looking forward  to playing that... Didn't in the previous version.

Absolute top job on this version of the mod but I feel like there less side quests in this one? Also I found the guy who lets you know about the side quests in the highwind to be helpful in the previous version. Hard to know what content has been removed and what has stayed. Just a bit of feedback really....
« Last Edit: 2020-08-16 15:36:54 by Pruntarious »

LugiaFly

• View Profile
« Reply #10235 on: 2020-08-16 15:54:04 »
I guess I have a little big problem? In the City of Ancients, I don't have the option to save Aerith, it just didn't showed up at all, the game procede to the fight with Jenova. I'm playing the 2.0 version.
« Last Edit: 2020-08-16 15:58:04 by LugiaFly »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #10236 on: 2020-08-16 16:53:09 »
Can I get back to Shinra HQ in disc 3? Wanna chance my arm at this curator fella...

Also was the Dark Cave removed as well? Was looking forward  to playing that... Didn't in the previous version.

Absolute top job on this version of the mod but I feel like there less side quests in this one? Also I found the guy who lets you know about the side quests in the highwind to be helpful in the previous version. Hard to know what content has been removed and what has stayed. Just a bit of feedback really....

Dark Cave was removed yeah. I can re-add an NPC to go over what's available on Disc 3 to the Highwind.

I guess I have a little big problem? In the City of Ancients, I don't have the option to save Aerith, it just didn't showed up at all, the game procede to the fight with Jenova. I'm playing the 2.0 version.

The outcome is determined within the fight. Try to avoid KOing the other combatant when they're revived; random-target attacks like Tifa's Limits or multi-target attacks like Summons should be avoided at this point.

Pruntarious

• View Profile
« Reply #10237 on: 2020-08-16 16:57:00 »
That's cool. I've a save game somewhere from 1.5 that's pretty far on....

So we can't get back to Shinra HQ either no? Sorry... You might have missed that in my comment. 🙂 Saw something mentioned somewhere that there's a shinra HQ disc 3 event at some stage.

chimaerath

• View Profile
« Reply #10238 on: 2020-08-16 18:27:41 »
Conversation Interpretation:
In the revisit of the Cave of the Gi, after the boss, Red XIII mentions that his dad became more stern after his mom's death. But, I thought Seto "passed away" first. In the base game, I thought Seto entered the Cave of the Gi alone, and then Red XIII's mom made Bugenhagen seal the cave and forbade him from discussing it with Red XIII, implying she was still alive. Also, I think Bugenhagen mentions that Seto went by himself to protect his mom and the canyon, implying that she hadn't died yet. Plus, Red XIII's wiki page says Seto left in the same year Red XIII was born, and in a separate later sentence talks about his mother's death, as does the wiki page for Red XIII's species'. I interpreted all that as his mother was in Red XIII's life for longer than Seto was.

Gameplay
Is it intentional that the HP Plus Materia only appears after a (Iron Giant?) fight in the North Crater? I definitely ran around for a while wondering why it wasn't appearing in the waterfall, even changing maps, and only after I took off the Enemy Away Materia and fought the Iron Giant did the HP Plus Materia appear.
« Last Edit: 2020-08-17 04:54:28 by chimaerath »

JohnEveryman

• View Profile
« Reply #10239 on: 2020-08-16 22:17:15 »
I am really enjoying my New Threat play through of Final Fantasy 7 and I am currently experiencing a bug preventing me from selecting certain characters in the party formation menu and I was wondering if there was a fix for this.

I am currently on disc 3 after reaching the bottom of Northern Cave where you get the phone call for New Threat and this enabling the end game content of the mod. I went back to the Highwind and changed my party to make Tifa the leader with Cid and Yuffie to start doing some level 4 limit break quests. Later on I attempted to switch out Yuffie for Barret and noticed I could not select him or any of the other characters not in my party with the exception of Cloud. I tried going back to the Highwind to make Cloud the leader again, but I could not add anyone else to my party other than Tifa, Cid, and Yuffie. I cannot select, move, or view the stats of, in the party formation menu, Barret, Aeris, Red XIII, Cait Sith, or Vincent.

I tried restarting my game, talking to different people on the Highwind, switching team leader, and I still can't get the other characters in my party.

Pruntarious

• View Profile
« Reply #10240 on: 2020-08-17 12:19:33 »
I have a problem getting all the 1/35 soldiers.

I currently have 11 of them and have been using the documentation to find them:

Now I'm fairly sure I have all of these ones and have transported back to check using Black Choc save editor.

1) Mythril Mines--Yes
2) Junon--Yes
3) Desert Prison, Bar--Yes
4) Jockey Waiting Room--Yes
5) Da Chao--Yes
6) Great Glacier, Far-West Cave--Yes
7) Sister Ray--Yes
8) Gold Saucer Sub Prize #5--Yes
9) Midgar Raid: In chest that sits in scaffolding above the vent entrance to the train tunnels--Yes
10) Shinra HQ Stairwell (Disc 2/3)--Yes
11) Shinra HQ 70, on left-hand side--Yes
12) North Crater: Left-Up Path-- Don't think I can find this one?

Also fair play for catching me out when I tried to modify the save file to have 12 of them to trick your man in the Mythril Mines. :)

I might just give up to be honest. :P

Pruntarious

• View Profile
« Reply #10241 on: 2020-08-17 16:25:32 »
Something strange occurring with the Weapons.

Said I'd just go try Emerald and Ruby so see how much they kick my ass and get a feel for strategy.

Emerald:
He died after two KOR attacks (about 3k per attack). Used Mine with command counter to get over the once per fight limit somehow... Got the Earth Harp etc.

Ruby:
He dies after 1 KOR (about 3k per attack) and I got the Desert Rose etc. Thing is he just reappears after the fight again? And he dies with a few 4x cut attacks with Tifa (Masmune does amount 5.5k per cut) and I can keep fighting him again?

Didn't mess too much with my save file... Just changed field location now and again to save time going from place to place. Nothing major. :)

wdx

• View Profile
« Reply #10242 on: 2020-08-17 18:18:27 »
armour golem, crash in crater.
possible to buy the shinra villa twice.  if buy disc1 early, then again on another disc.

Doll

• View Profile
« Reply #10243 on: 2020-08-17 18:40:31 »
Had hard mode turn off at some point between entering gold saucer and getting dropped into corel prison. Not sure if this is a known issue. Like I said before, not gaining gil on normal mode is actually a super useful way to identify if it's on or not right now.

haine9

• View Profile
« Reply #10244 on: 2020-08-17 19:28:38 »
Hello. First of all thank you so much, this mod is so amazing. I wanted to replay ff7, too many years ago since my last playtrough, and a new threat is perfect for this!

I have a question about a couple end game items I'm having trouble to find, documentation file is wrong apparently.

1. Tifa manual. I'm at disc 3, after midgar raid. There is nothing in Tifa house. I tried to play the piano with that melody but no manual. I also checked the reactor like in a video, but nothing.

2. Zenogias plate to craft the masamune. Documentation says shinra mansion basement but I checked everywhere. Nothing. All I could find in google was zenogias feather but that was an Ultima Weapon drop (which dropped me the sword in 2.0) so I don't know.

Thanks in advance!

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #10245 on: 2020-08-17 21:57:21 »
That's cool. I've a save game somewhere from 1.5 that's pretty far on....

So we can't get back to Shinra HQ either no? Sorry... You might have missed that in my comment. 🙂 Saw something mentioned somewhere that there's a shinra HQ disc 3 event at some stage.

On 1.5 you can return to Shinra HQ during a sidequest, but not on the 2.0 build.

Conversation Interpretation:
In the revisit of the Cave of the Gi, after the boss, Red XIII mentions that his dad became more stern after his mom's death. But, I thought Seto "passed away" first. In the base game, I thought Seto entered the Cave of the Gi alone, and then Red XIII's mom made Bugenhagen seal the cave and forbade him from discussing it with Red XIII, implying she was still alive. Also, I think Bugenhagen mentions that Seto went by himself to protect his mom and the canyon, implying that she hadn't died yet. Plus, Red XIII's wiki page says Seto left in the same year Red XIII was born, and in a separate later sentence talks about his mother's death, as does the wiki page for Red XIII's species'. I interpreted all that as his mother was in Red XIII's life for longer than Seto was.

Gameplay
Is it intentional that the HP Plus Materia only appears after a (Iron Giant?) fight in the North Crater? I definitely ran around for a while wondering why it wasn't appearing in the waterfall, even changing maps, and only after I took off the Enemy Away Materia and fought the Iron Giant did the HP Plus Materia appear.

HP Plus doesn't drop in the Crater, it's found in the Temple of the Ancients (or outside of it, if not picked up). The Materia that should appear in the waterfall is Shield.

Something strange occurring with the Weapons.

Said I'd just go try Emerald and Ruby so see how much they kick my ass and get a feel for strategy.

Emerald:
He died after two KOR attacks (about 3k per attack). Used Mine with command counter to get over the once per fight limit somehow... Got the Earth Harp etc.

Ruby:
He dies after 1 KOR (about 3k per attack) and I got the Desert Rose etc. Thing is he just reappears after the fight again? And he dies with a few 4x cut attacks with Tifa (Masmune does amount 5.5k per cut) and I can keep fighting him again?

Didn't mess too much with my save file... Just changed field location now and again to save time going from place to place. Nothing major. :)

I was a bit too optimistic setting Weapon HP to within 65,000 as KOTR ignores magic defence like other Summons. I'll be reviewing those two at some point to set them up a bit better, and I think a death handler in Ruby's AI may be missing to toggle his flag off.

armour golem, crash in crater.
possible to buy the shinra villa twice.  if buy disc1 early, then again on another disc.

Don't double-post bugs between Discord and this thread. The Armored Golem fix is in the current files but not uploaded yet.

Had hard mode turn off at some point between entering gold saucer and getting dropped into corel prison. Not sure if this is a known issue. Like I said before, not gaining gil on normal mode is actually a super useful way to identify if it's on or not right now.

Was the game updated during that time? There was some trouble with the setting that I had to resolve in an earlier patch.

Hello. First of all thank you so much, this mod is so amazing. I wanted to replay ff7, too many years ago since my last playtrough, and a new threat is perfect for this!

I have a question about a couple end game items I'm having trouble to find, documentation file is wrong apparently.

1. Tifa manual. I'm at disc 3, after midgar raid. There is nothing in Tifa house. I tried to play the piano with that melody but no manual. I also checked the reactor like in a video, but nothing.

2. Zenogias plate to craft the masamune. Documentation says shinra mansion basement but I checked everywhere. Nothing. All I could find in google was zenogias feather but that was an Ultima Weapon drop (which dropped me the sword in 2.0) so I don't know.

Thanks in advance!

Tifa needs to be party leader for the piano due to how the sidequest was set up in 1.5; on Disc 3, head for the bottom of the crater then come back again to unlock party leader swap. Then set her as party lead and head for her house to play the melody.

It's the Shinra Villa Basement in Costa Del Sol, not the Shinra Mansion basement in Nibelheim. I'll change the wording to Costa Villa instead to avoid confusion.
« Last Edit: 2020-08-17 22:01:37 by Sega Chief »

Pruntarious

• View Profile
« Reply #10246 on: 2020-08-17 23:48:28 »
That's cool... Thanks Chief.

Just finished the last bosses... They were tough. Took me about 1.5 hours to get through the 2 fights.

Nice work on forcing the parties in that fight. Took me a while to cop on what I needed to do. There's a message there saying somewhat what to do but the offer to change parties shows first and I was just playing it old school and forgetting about the other parties. Only when I changed parties did I see it. The animations in that fight are frigging long too.... zzz Not sure what you can do about that though.

Cheers for the revamp and a new playthrough.. Enjoyed it.. 👍

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #10247 on: 2020-08-17 23:55:06 »
Version v2.0.91? Did i suddenly miss 81 revisions lol? (sorry jk, my latest version was v2.0.10)

I had to abandon the Build.Content.Patch semantic versioning approach as it didn't play nice with 7th Heaven's auto-update (which uses a decimal value rather than a string). And as we'd reached 2.0.9, it means I have to stick with 2.09x for the time being, at least until 2.1. The changelog has the version change.

That's cool... Thanks Chief.

Just finished the last bosses... They were tough. Took me about 1.5 hours to get through the 2 fights.

Nice work on forcing the parties in that fight. Took me a while to cop on what I needed to do. There's a message there saying somewhat what to do but the offer to change parties shows first and I was just playing it old school and forgetting about the other parties. Only when I changed parties did I see it. The animations in that fight are frigging long too.... zzz Not sure what you can do about that though.

Cheers for the revamp and a new playthrough.. Enjoyed it.. 👍

I think when Bizarro becomes a 2 or 3 party fight it complicates it significantly. The animation after a part dies probably serves some function or other, but I could run a test in the future where they aren't used to see what happens. If the detriments seem minor, could roll with that for speed.

Ethario

• View Profile
« Reply #10248 on: 2020-08-18 00:07:19 »
OMG ITS HERE 2.0 DAMN IVE BEEN OUTTA THE LOOP. One quick question before I dive into B-mode + Hard mode: can you still use Tifa or Cid in place of Cloud once you reach a certain point in the story ? Loving the balance changes can't wait to try it out !

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #10249 on: 2020-08-18 00:16:28 »
Party leader swap is still in there.