Author Topic: [FF8PC - Steam] Succession Mod (v.1.0)  (Read 74076 times)

Percival

• View Profile
Re: [FF8PC - Steam] Succession Mod (v.0.5)
« Reply #50 on: 2020-05-10 11:36:18 »
  Hello, everyone!  I am very glad that you are all enjoying the mod. And once again, I greatly appreciate all of the support and encouragement.

So far, the last six months haven’t been as productive as I would have liked, but nevertheless, I am excited about the quality of work I am producing. Regarding my progress, I’m currently moments away from beginning to edit the first scenes on the Ragnarok. Given that I am mostly writing in chronological order, that means I’m more than halfway through disc 3.

I’ve resisted the urge to upload any updates. I think that releasing another incomplete version would only add unnecessary work to the process, as well as frustrate all of you with multiple editions, each with different potential errors.

My plan is to avoid releasing anything more until I have a full second draft of the entire game, all the way through disc 4. At that point, any feedback you have would be in light of the mod in total. I'm also attempting to devote as much time to this project as I can spare, so as to not leave everyone waiting any longer than necessary.

Thanks again!

circle

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2020-05-17 16:15:37 »
glad to hear you're still working on this and are already part of the way through disc 3! still excited to play this once the first full version is completed

Dark_Ansem

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 2020-07-03 19:45:03 »
reporting quistis is mean lol

AbsoLootAaron

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 2020-08-06 06:28:57 »
GO GO GO! lol :)

Ashino

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 2020-10-05 18:44:17 »
How's the mod coming along?

Percival

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 2020-10-09 20:26:19 »
reporting quistis is mean lol
Yeah, I think it's great!

Once again, I was attempting to limit the perceived power disparity between the two of them. I want to do my best to prevent someone from interpreting Quistis' actions, as well as Squall's impression of her actions, as abusive or predatory, given that she is his teacher.

Percival

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 2020-10-09 20:27:14 »
How's the mod coming along?

Well, I am so glad you asked!

Percival

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 2020-10-09 20:44:04 »

Big Progress update!

I have unofficially finished the mod all the way through disc 4!  I'm currently doing one final playthrough,
looking for mistakes, and making other small changes as needed.

I have put so much work into this mod, far more than I ever originally intended. But I believe that the
incredible result is worth all the effort. I am very satisfied with what I have been able to accomplish, and
I am convinced that all of you will be, too.

Also, I've posted several more sample videos, including one of my favorites of Laguna. Check it out!
Here.

And two videos with my re-imagining of the Myth of Hyne.
Here. And Here.

The next update that I post will be version 1.0.

AbsoLootAaron

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 2020-10-11 01:23:03 »
Holy crap! IT'S HAPPENING! PogChamp lol

AbsoLootAaron

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 2020-10-11 01:28:29 »
Hopefully the community can help you with typo's, feedback, or any other small tweaks after version 1.0 releases! Try to take some of the weight off of your shoulders after completing such a huge task/accomplishment. :)

AbsoLootAaron

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 2020-10-11 01:33:11 »
This might go down as the REAL remaster for the storyline itself. A reimagining. Maybe what it should have been to begin with. :D
It might be an alternative to the original storyline, but i feel like this version has so much more beef to it. More side-lore to enjoy as well!
You ever thought about adding hidden/secret/easter egg stuff in it? :P
« Last Edit: 2020-10-11 01:42:04 by HeavensFury »

AbsoLootAaron

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 2020-10-11 01:36:09 »
Also, will this be compatible with other mods?! Like Ragnarok (gameplay) and Lunatic Pandora (graphics)?

Ashino

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 2020-10-15 21:31:40 »
Having followed your mod for the past few months, I have to say that I'm very impressed by your work. I can imagine that rewriting a game such as FF8 wasn't an easy task. I'm looking forward to playing your mod through upon release, and I wish you the best of luck on this final stretch!

Percival

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 2020-10-18 02:42:57 »
@HeavensFury   Thank you so much for the positive support!

You ever thought about adding hidden/secret/easter egg stuff in it? :P
  There are a few subtle story references, and inside jokes, but not any true 'Easter eggs'. For example, I make a fairly obvious reference to the idea that Squall is dead. Also, I'll give you a dollar if you find the place where I make an allusion to a 'spoony bard'. (I'll give you a hint, it's not in the main story.)

For the most part, I have created a much more mature version of the story and characters. But I did take the time to make sure that I didn't completely loose any light-heartedness that may have existed in the original, such as Irvine's magazine for Squall in the concert scene.

Percival

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 2020-10-18 02:50:07 »
Also, will this be compatible with other mods?! Like Ragnarok (gameplay) and Lunatic Pandora (graphics)?
  At this point, it's compatible with anything that doesn't change the field.fs file. That makes it compatible with almost all graphical mods, and around 85% of Ragnarok. I use Ragnarok regularly, and I love it. I actually use it along with a compatible version of my Martial Law mod. (Something I should probably make public, soon.)

Succession is compatible with Ragnarok for of the battle related changes, and character/ability changes. But any event related changes (extra battles, quests, item rewards, drawpoints, different card locations) are not compatible at this point.

I would love to make a compatibility version eventually, but it would be a lot of work, and might require collaboration with Callisto, if he's even interested.

Percival

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 2020-10-18 02:51:54 »
@Ashino  Thanks a lot!  This project has become far more engaging than I ever imagined it would be. I've had a lot of fun making it, and I really hope you all are able to enjoy it as much as I have.

FatherMcKenzie

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 2020-10-27 03:38:25 »
Amazing!

The Laguna-Centra dialogue is great and I love the reimagining of the Hyne myth. It actually makes more sense now as a morality tale, as opposed to before with the strange, disjointed story about Hyne bestowing half of his body to the people which turned out to be just dead skin...?

Very well done! Can't wait for another playthrough.

Percival

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 2020-11-04 16:05:31 »
@FatherMcKenzie  Thanks!

Yeah, I really tried to write the myth in a way that informed and supported the plot, and vice versa. I had originally thought of writing two versions of the myth, each with a different interpretation of the events. But I soon realized that the story just doesn't provide the opportunity for that level of depth. I'm still really glad with the results, though.

And I really like the Laguna scenes. It's a really good example of how much stronger the story can get when you remove or rewrite a few of the jokes that don't quite land.

Lunareste

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 2020-11-15 00:19:30 »
will you ever port this to Remastered?

Kandy_Man

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 2020-11-16 14:55:16 »
Really excited to see 1.0 release.  I don't need a reason to play FF8 again but I'll gladly use this is an excuse ;D

I think next time I play will be using PSIO on the PS1.  Will this mod be in any way compatible?  That would be amazing if so.

goat

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 2020-11-25 08:48:09 »
Hey Percival, I hope your FINAL version of this mod pops up soon!!
My girlfriend is playing through FFVIII for her first time, and I caught the bug too, so now I wanna play!
But because I've been looking over her shoulder this whole time, I figure I should go and play YOUR version instead, so I have a unique experience. Will it be out soon?
I'd love to start as soon as possible, and complete a full playthough with your mod. Can't wait!!! =D

Percival

• View Profile
Re: [FF8PC - Steam] Succession Mod (v.1.0)
« Reply #71 on: 2020-11-27 19:41:44 »

It's Here!

After over 2 years of writing, I finally have a finished version of this mod!  It has been more than a year since my 0.5 release, and for all of you that have been waiting since then, I apologize for the long delay, and I sincerely hope that the finished product will be worth the wait.

No other hobby I have ever had has undergone the level of care and attention that I have devoted to this mod. The process has been as challenging as it was engaging. My greatest ambition is that this mod will allow you to appreciate this game in a deeper way than you ever have before, because that is what it has done for me.

And I eagerly await any and all feedback you have to offer.

Rikku

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 2020-11-28 07:08:08 »
Wow, amazing !! i started following your mod since de first version.

Is it compatible with the Ragnarok mod ?? Maybe another rebalance mod ??

Thank you for your amazing work !! I will try it and i will enjoy it for sure

goat

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 2020-11-28 08:23:36 »
Thank you Percival!

You're about to give me the most enchanting experiencing.
My first playthrough of this game is with YOUR script, so for the rest of my life, your version will be the one that shines.
I hope you've done well.

Percival

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 2020-11-28 16:06:55 »
@Rikku  Thank you so much!

In regards to Ragnarok, as I have said before, Succession is compatible with anything that doesn't change the field.fs files. That makes it compatible with almost all graphical mods, and around 85% of Ragnarok.

I use Ragnarok regularily, and love it, and Succession is compatible with all of the battle related changes, and character/ability changes. But any event related changes (extra battles, quests, item rewards, drawpoints, card locations) are, very sadly, not compatible at this point.

I do, however, plan to soon release a compatibility version of Martial Law. It is a re-balanced version that plays well with Ragnarok. It is the version I currently use.