Author Topic: FF8 File Architecture & char.one archives  (Read 5005 times)

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
FF8 File Architecture & char.one archives
« on: 2017-12-14 23:15:35 »
Hi all,

I'm about to release an alpha demo of an FF8 mod I've been working on, but unlike FF7 PC I've never owned the original FF8 PC, only the Steam game. Could someone tell me what the file/folder names & structure for it are? I'd like the mod to be compatible with both versions.

It changes the .EXE, field.fs, battle.fs, main.fs, menu.fs. Are there any fundamental differences in the files between FF8 PC and Steam that I need to be aware of?

The other thing was the char.one archive and this is what got me worried that FF8 PC and FF8 Steam might be different; in another thread (2nd post: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=17634.0), it was suggested that grabbing the char.one archive from the field folder and transplanting that into another field's archive would allow for field models to be used on a different screen. But opening FF8 Steam's field.fs in Deling, I can only get to a 'dummy' version of this archive:

https://imgur.com/a/xjjSV

I'm not able to navigate to it on FF8 Steam, and it's listing folders like Field which aren't in the steam installation. Were they all bundled together into a single archive? Any info or suggestions on retrieving a char.one from the FF8 Steam fields would be appreciated.

Maki

• 0xBAADF00D
  • 0xCCCCCCCC
    • View Profile
Re: FF8 File Architecture & char.one archives
« Reply #1 on: 2017-12-15 05:28:21 »
Field is multi archive. Therefore you need to export whole field archive and then again export single field archive to get these files. About differences - only in EXE. Steam version uses realtime assembly patching using A3DN.P (or something like that) file for code injection to hack itself. Treat steam re-release like an official HD mod from SquareEnix.

So, the field goes like this:

Field.fs > (field_codename).fs > field files
So, open field.fs, go to archive in Deling and export the folder. Now open the exported files again with Deling and go to archive and export again.
« Last Edit: 2017-12-15 06:41:44 by Maki »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2017-12-15 23:38:45 »
Field is multi archive. Therefore you need to export whole field archive and then again export single field archive to get these files. About differences - only in EXE. Steam version uses realtime assembly patching using A3DN.P (or something like that) file for code injection to hack itself. Treat steam re-release like an official HD mod from SquareEnix.

So, open field.fs, go to archive in Deling and export the folder. Now open the exported files again with Deling and go to archive and export again.

Cheers for the info.

Mcindus

• Artist, Modder, Musician.
    • View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
« Reply #3 on: 2018-01-09 19:05:13 »

This post would have saved me 20 hours about 3 years ago... lol.  Great information!

red_evilspirit

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2018-02-16 13:41:42 »
there is any tool to read MCH file after export from main_chr.fs?
i need main character's animation :(