Author Topic: FF9 on PC news  (Read 16681 times)

ffgriever

• View Profile
FF9 on PC news
« on: 2001-05-05 19:46:00 »
I don't know if that's true or not but this is what I saw on Official Polish Final Fantasy Site (they're cooperating with im group - ff distributor in poland, and square).
The news is dated at 3rd may 2001.
------------------------------------------
Dostaliœmy kilkanascie maili od rozgor¹czkowanych fanów - czy news podany przez najnowszy Secret Service (maj 2001, nr 90) jest prawdziwy? Prima Aprilis by³ miesi¹c temu! Fantasy Garden jako jedyny polski site o Final Fantasy skierowa³ siê z prosb¹ o potwierdzenie tych informacji do samych korzeni, tj. do dzia³u wykonawczego Square. Oto fragment odpowiedzi:

"(...) We've been working on this project for almost six months now, and I can say it's kind of advanced now, and FF IX PC will be shipped near the winter season '01. (...)"

Oznacza to, ¿e byæ mo¿e zim¹ tego roku, a napewno wiosna 2002 zagramy na domowych PC w FF IX! Wiadomoœæ ta jest tym wspanialsza, ¿e kolejna czêœæ sagi uka¿e siê tylko na PS2, które w naszym kraju wci¹¿ pozostaje produktem drogim, co mo¿e odsun¹æ nieco seriê FF w cieñ. Wydanie dziewi¹tki na PC napewno przed³u¿y ¿ywotnoœæ serii. Czekamy i trzymamy kciuki, jednoczeœnie pozostaj¹c w kontakcie ze Square, który - co tu kryæ - pochwali³ nasz serwis!

--------------------------------------------
Now I'll try to translate this into english (it is very hard cause i don't know english very well..   :)

They just write that they have recieved lots of mail about news that was in Secret Service newspaper (nr90/05/2001) about the PC version of Final Fantasy 9 (some people thought it was a joke). The Fantasy Garden contacted Square and they recieved answer: "(...) We've been working on this project for almost six months now, and I can say it's kind of advanced now, and FF IX PC will be shipped near the winter season '01. (...)"
That only fragment of it...
It seems that maybe this winter or for sure spring 2002 there should be PC version of final fantasy 9. The rest of this news is not interesting...
Does someone know something about it? Is that true or they're wrong??????????

[This message has been edited by ffgriever (edited May 05, 2001).]

Anonymous

FF9 on PC news
« Reply #1 on: 2001-05-05 22:12:00 »
Witam.Hi.
I am from Poland too.And i do not know if what you have said is true.There was article
in Secret service about Final fantasy 9 on PC.
I was curious so i wrote to Secret service and to Square.I have not recived mail from Secret service to this day(maybe because we had holidays in Poland).I have recived mail from Square that they not planing Pc version.
I know that Fantasy garden page has got better connection that i have but  it is very strange.In whole internet there is not a single page that has got informations about ff9 on Pc (only speculations).I have seen true informations about unrelesed games like Heroes of might and magic 4(i' ve seen oryginal screenshot).EB has relese information about games that has not been anounced yet.My point is that i have not seen final fantasy 9 Pc info anywhere.And now Only one www site has got info about FF9?.
I can't say it is hoax becouse i do not have informations about game.But this is strange.
Square informed one newspaper and www page about ff9PC ,yet Square is saying to any normal customer that they are not planing FF9 on Pc.What is the point of such  action it is a mystery to me.

Sir Canealot

• View Profile
FF9 on PC news
« Reply #2 on: 2001-05-05 23:34:00 »
Thank alot for that. Lets keep hopeing.
Emulateing it though ePSXe is a pain .But they had better put 32 bit colour into this or im staying with ePSXe cause 16 bit sucks!

ffgriever

• View Profile
FF9 on PC news
« Reply #3 on: 2001-05-05 23:38:00 »
No wlasnie.
That's probly it... I think it's another shitty joke. I sent few mails to fantasy garden but I didn't get any answer... Maybe all fg team is getting GCSE (matura?) and they don't have time?

Anonymous

FF9 on PC news
« Reply #4 on: 2001-05-06 00:00:00 »
I am in the fantasy garden team but i was only sending news , walkthrougs and other stuff for the page.Some time ago i had problems to contact my team members and i know that many people has problem to contact with the creators of the page.Maybe Don Joe has no time or maybe there are problems with mail account.I do not know.I have sent another mail to square with the description of the situation.I am waiting for the answer.

FF9 on PC news
« Reply #5 on: 2001-05-06 01:02:00 »
I'm beginning to think that we really should just start an FF9 specific emulator project. Square haven't exactly shown themselves to be very good at porting games to the PC.

ffgriever

• View Profile
FF9 on PC news
« Reply #6 on: 2001-05-06 01:41:00 »
Yeah. The main problem is the sound and that they can't use all the new hardware solutions (how nice might have looked ff8 on pc and how does it look?)

Sir Canealot

• View Profile
FF9 on PC news
« Reply #7 on: 2001-05-09 14:12:00 »
Theres no point starting an FFIX emualtor!
ePSXe already runs it damn well. Perhaps we could do something with that? Perhaps modifiy some of the plugsins? The sound could still use a little work but the music is sure as hell fine.

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
FF9 on PC news
« Reply #8 on: 2001-05-09 19:09:00 »
I think if anything needs to be done with how FF9 speciffically runs in ePSXe, this is it:

- Fix the sounds (the moogle is messed up).
 - On some cards, the backgrounds (when enlarged to 640x480 + resolution) look like junk (little black lines around the borders of everything), and if you turn off the filtering they're blocky - I dunno if this can be fixed?  I dunno if it's like that on all cards or not?
 - Make it easier to set up for stupid people.

There 'ya go.  I bet sometime there'll be a sound plug-in that does the sound right.

Sir Canealot

• View Profile
FF9 on PC news
« Reply #9 on: 2001-05-09 20:34:00 »
The sound coul dbe fixed but the backgrounds CANT. They are pre rendered at 320/240 and you are streching them on the monuter to 640/480 or what ever. HOWEVER if you have a Tv-Out on your video card then use it! FFIX for me never looked so good on it at 800/600. Running though a Tv-Out will solve your Streched back ground and Fmv problems and it will make the battles look better. 800/600 or 640/480 looks better(If a little more blury. But only a tad on my Tv)on a tv than a monitor. Try it.

Caddberry

• View Profile
    • http://animenfo.com/
FF9 on PC news
« Reply #10 on: 2001-05-10 09:28:00 »
I believe also it depends on the plugin your using... and your machine power.. I am using Petes D3D.. still messing around with others in my spare time.. although i thik for me Lewpys glide would work best.. just havent messed with it yet.. yes some things still look kinda bad.. but it looks the same as it did on the psx to me.. if i remember correctly.

Sir Canealot

• View Profile
FF9 on PC news
« Reply #11 on: 2001-05-10 16:08:00 »
Make sure you are useing Pete Open Gl driver not the D-3D one. Make sure Filtering is on. Try Extended W/O sprites for best effect. Make sure your in 32bit colour. Now play it should looks 10 times better than the PSX. Especially in battle.

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
FF9 on PC news
« Reply #12 on: 2001-05-10 18:03:00 »
If you guys want to make a FF9 PC port using an emulaton layer, there is an open-source PSX emulater called FPSE  http://fpse.emuunlim.com/" TARGET=_blank>http://fpse.emuunlim.com/  and of coursee my PSX doc  http://www.execpc.cpm/~halkun" TARGET=_blank>http://www.execpc.cpm/~halkun  snag it from there

The Skillster

• Loving every Final Fantasy
    • View Profile
FF9 on PC news
« Reply #13 on: 2001-05-10 18:50:00 »
best way is to use an emulation layer then do a "bleem" (: add custom code for compatibility and speed), along with memory patching to add enhancements and corrections. also maybe a graphics layer to super sample (ie software AA) the back ground pictures??

Caddberry

• View Profile
FF9 on PC news
« Reply #14 on: 2001-05-11 01:21:00 »
Sir Canealot: i believe i read in some faq that 3dfx (Voodoo) cards could only run 16 bit.. and thats what i got V3 3000 AGP to be exact.. is that true?

M0T

• View Profile
FF9 on PC news
« Reply #15 on: 2001-05-11 02:51:00 »
It is true, all Voodoo cards are only 16bit.

Sir Canealot

• View Profile
FF9 on PC news
« Reply #16 on: 2001-05-11 03:09:00 »
Yea only 16bit for you. Make sure to enable dithering. That should make 16bit look a bit better.

Caddberry

• View Profile
FF9 on PC news
« Reply #17 on: 2001-05-11 10:13:00 »
yeah i did... and  :) it does.. everyone with a voodoo card should do the same...

Sukaeto

• View Profile
    • Sukaeto's web server
FF9 on PC news
« Reply #18 on: 2001-05-12 01:17:00 »
Sir Canealot:  You have a GeForce2, right?  Do you ever have problems with BG layers Disappearing and only showing black?

When I use Pete's O GL pluggin, the World Map in FF Tactics doesn't display . . . but I'm only running in 16 bit color.  I'll have to see if 32 bit color fixes that.

Sir Canealot

• View Profile
FF9 on PC news
« Reply #19 on: 2001-05-12 16:07:00 »
No I know what porblems I have and what problems I dont have. I do not have that problem.

Sukaeto

• View Profile
    • Sukaeto's web server
FF9 on PC news
« Reply #20 on: 2001-05-12 23:53:00 »
Hmm . . . putting it in 32 bit color didn't fix the problem.

The text is also blocky and blurry with the OpenGL pluggin for me.  I use the Software one, it works pretty good (and surprisingly doesn't seem to be slower than the OpenGL or D3D.)

ffgriever

• View Profile
FF9 on PC news
« Reply #21 on: 2001-05-13 00:18:00 »
but are you able to use  bi(tri)linear filtering in software mode (I think you're not, I tried it's impossible)? Battles and characters look much better with that function.

[This message has been edited by ffgriever (edited May 12, 2001).]

Caddberry

• View Profile
FF9 on PC news
« Reply #22 on: 2001-05-13 10:37:00 »
The software plugin is supposed to be useable by everyone... but your not gonna get very good res using it.. I couldnt get the open gl one to work for the life of me.. it was all slow and choppy so i am still sticking with d3d and it looks good... basically i found out the best way to configure it was to read the read me.. there is hella info in it reguarding various cards and configz...

M0T

• View Profile
FF9 on PC news
« Reply #23 on: 2001-05-13 23:57:00 »
opengl didnt work for me - i got black outlines on magic and stuff and software rendering just looked crap

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
FF9 on PC news
« Reply #24 on: 2001-05-15 19:50:00 »
I think D3D is the best bet for most people, if you have a brand new comp and a whopping video card you'll get awesome results in OpenGL though.

Lots of cards run like junk in OpenGL.  Software runs on any card and its speed doesn't depend as much on your video card as it does on your processor's speed (500-600 mhz should get you full framerate in almost every game though).