Author Topic: Custom graphics driver for FF7/FF8 [v0.8b]  (Read 59352 times)

Kalkano

• View Profile
Re: Custom graphics driver for FF7/FF8 [v0.8b]
« Reply #50 on: 2014-01-10 00:41:10 »
Copy/pasted from the Reunion thread.  I've tried to solve it, myself, but only accomplished frustration.  I just made sure I had the 0.7.11b driver installed (I haven't installed the new one, since there still seem to be issues with it), and even tried converting the movie files with ffmpeg.  No luck.  Here is my original message:

This may not have anything to do with this, but it's driving me crazy.  Just trying to start the game, during the opening video, the sound gets choppy while it's still showing the stars.  Then, for the rest of the video, the sound lags WAY behind the video.

I did a complete uninstall (including registry keys), and redownloaded from Steam.  I used the game converter, installed Reunion, and installed FF7Music.  That's it.  Other than that opening video, everything else is working fine.

My previous version also included mods from Bootleg.  In that version, the opening video was fine (even after installing Reunion), but the Buster Sword was plain white in battle (missing texture?), so I did the fresh install, without Bootleg.

I actually installed less, this time, so, I don't understand the problem.  The main difference is, I installed FF7Music separately, since I wasn't going to use any other Bootleg mods.

Are there any options in ff7_opengl.cfg that could cause this?  I edited that manually, this time, since I don't have the BootLoader.

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2014-01-10 01:12:02 »
I guess you should use the new driver, because the Reunion has some addings for it.
Also FF7 Music isn't needed with it anymore.
For those, like me, who are trying to use the native Ogg-support of this new driver:
Delete the '#' before 'music_plugin = plugins/vgmstream_music.fgp' and create a folder called music in your Final Fantasy main folder. In it make another one with the name 'vgmstream' and in this folder you must place your Oggs. The file names must be identical to the rereleases.

Finally the downpath of the game is lossless and the game runs even better. Great job. :-D

For the Videos:
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=14249.0
(From this cool guy with the skirt  :wink:)

Kalkano

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 2014-01-10 01:26:08 »

DLPB mentioned that, but does it allow the remastered soundtrack?

Edit: And, will the retranslated FMVs be using these, or will I have to choose one or the other?

Sorry, getting off topic, I know.
« Last Edit: 2014-01-10 01:29:13 by Kalkano »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 2014-01-10 01:40:44 »
The files from the remastered soundtrack will need renamed to match, but yes. It should support ANY oggs.

Kalkano

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 2014-01-10 02:09:43 »
Ok.  I reinstalled the game for the 11 billionth time, used the game converter, installed the 0.8b driver, and did nothing else.  The problem still exists.  What's really confusing is, this didn't happen when I just had Bootleg installed...

Oh, and Kaldarasha: The HQ FMVs look good, and I plan to use them, but I doubt that would solve this problem...Do you disagree?

More info:  I constantly see a "couldn't lock sound buffer" error at the main menu.  Also, after installing 0.8b, FF7Config no longer works.  When I try to select "custom driver" in the graphics tab, I get "Failed to load driver - The specified procedure could not be found".
« Last Edit: 2014-01-10 02:16:55 by Kalkano »

cmh175

• View Profile
    • Chris Hendrickson's Artstation
« Reply #55 on: 2014-01-10 02:54:45 »
I guess you should use the new driver, because the Reunion has some addings for it.
For the Videos:
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=14249.0
(From this cool guy with the skirt  :wink:)

lol I actually had to open the link to realize you meant me.

@Kalkano: I think your video problem is related to using the original 2012 videos, I think I read somewhere you hadn't downloaded any of the others. On their own it seems the 2012's may have a different codec, so they may not play properly in the original/converted game. Converting and reformating the videos is iffy. My pack with the 2012's uses the correct codec so they'll play fine with a converted game. Mine wont be retranslated though, so you'll need to add them when DLPB finishes them.

The errors you're getting during gameplay may actually be harmless. If you don't disable popups it'll display every single one. Realistically as long as the game doesn't crash you wont need it. Otherwise your problem are the models after running the reunion over a bootleg install? I'd run bootleg with whatever options you'd like and add the other models later. I think the reunion models are predominately Kaldarashas so just get them from his thread and add them separately. 

I think my biggest issue was maybe bootloader and the ff7_opengl.cfg weren't configured correctly, so changes I made in bootloader weren't being saved. I forgot to backup the files (oops) so I couldn't compare them last time. I'm going to try a fresh install for the reunion later and try tinkering with this. I think if I match the settings in the ff7_opengl.cfg it'll work. I'm confused about ff7music, it's not needed, but is unless I want to rename the audio files? If it still works I'll just stick with that.
« Last Edit: 2014-01-10 02:57:11 by cmh175 »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 2014-01-10 08:42:11 »
You can;t disable them anymore.  Aali has removed the ability to hide error messages.

cmh175

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 2014-01-10 13:28:56 »
Oh, well that would explain why so many are having that issue. I like the feature since it can help with debugging new mods, but I consider it more of an addon feature than a necessity, I think actually playing the game with popups would be too distracting. Why was it removed? I'll probably wait until disabling popups has been added again.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 2014-01-10 13:37:08 »
From Aali's pov it is very helpful in finding errors with driver and also fixing errors with a mod.  From my pov, an option is definitely needed since play thoroughs would be a nightmare having to cope with every benign pop up.

Kaldarasha

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 2014-01-10 15:22:35 »
With OpenGL there isn't really such a thing as a fake fullscreen mode or even a real fullscreen mode for that matter, your only option is a borderless window. If you leave window_size_x/y at 0 it won't touch your display settings at all, there's no reason why vsync would work in window mode and not in this configuration.

It makes a bit more sense to me now.
Short description of my system: I have an i7 based laptop with a Nvidia 630M. The i7 has an integrated GPU which normally is used for desktop or multimedia applications. For games nvidia use some wrapper.dll's to disables the Intel GPU and enables the nvidia GPU.

Anyway, for some reasons when a borderless window resolution scale is exactly as my native resolution (1600 x 900) VSync doesn't work. But is the resolution scale only a bit different (1600 x 901) everything works fine.  I have checked if not accidental my intern GPU, where I know that it don't have problems with VSync, is used to render the game, but it really use the 630M. As said before I have this issue in any other OpenGL application, so Nvidia has a problem with it. But I doubt they will fix it by themselves.

It would be nice if you could implement a 'change y-scale of the borderless window +1'. Maybe it would work, maybe I'm totally wrong with it.
I still could use the program, which is totally fine for me.

Kalkano

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 2014-01-10 23:52:06 »
Ok, I tried the HQ FMV mod.  The problem remains.  It's like the humming in the opening stutters, then starts over.   :|

Edit:  YEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!  Finally found the problem.  It was the NVIDIA driver I was using.  I remember downloading an old one, a long time ago, for Final Fantasy 7.  I must have updated it, for Skyrim, at some point.  I did some searching, and found a post on the NVIDIA boards with a familiar avie (LeonhartGR).  He mentioned that everything worked fine with driver 314.22.  I installed that driver, and I'm good to go!  Thanks for the help, and sorry for pestering you guys.  The frustration was overflowing.

On a more on-topic note, the lack of error message suppression in the latest driver is keeping me away.  That would drive me crazy, so I'm sticking with v0.7b11, for now.
« Last Edit: 2014-01-11 00:47:49 by Kalkano »

luksy

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 2014-01-11 03:42:40 »
Code: [Select]
ERROR: couldn't lock sound buffer
Appears for most of the videos for me, the bgm music keeps on playing during affected vids.

Kalkano

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 2014-01-11 17:53:07 »
And, just like that, it's happening again.  I got all the way to the district 7 pillar, and the stuttering/sound effect lag happens when we swing off of it.  I noticed, on FRAPS, that my FPS is 14, at that point.  Isn't it supposed to be 15, for the video?  No idea if that would cause it.  But if the frames in the video are different than the sound is expecting?  Probably not...

cmh175

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 2014-01-11 18:22:42 »
No that would certainly do it. If videos aren't at the correct frame rate they'll stutter or in some case skip entirely. You're using my remastered 2012's right? They are set to the correct codec with 15 fps, so that's odd. Is it possible the driver isn't playing videos right or something? Are you launching the game through bootloader or using the .exe that the game converter makes?

Kalkano

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 2014-01-11 18:24:49 »
I'm using your videos.  The files say 15 fps.  When playing, FRAPS says 14 fps. I'm launching with FF7Music.  Should I try launching with 7thHeaven?

Edit: 7thHeaven does the same thing.  I don't have Bootloader, since I'm not using Bootleg.

Edit 2:  Maybe I'm doing something wrong with your videos.  I just noticed that the files I was looking at, when I said they were 15 fps, were the originals.  They're in "Final Fantasy VII/data/movies".  I have the "Final Fantasy VII/7thHeaven" directory, which only has "cmh175 HQ FMV Pack.iro" in it.

When I open 7thHeaven, it shows your FMV pack on the main tab.  It says it's installed, and the left purple button says "Deactivate", indicating that it is active.  When I click "Configure", your videos are checked, the ending3 video is checked, and the final option is fullscreen.

Edit 3:  It's intermittent.  I'm not sure what's causing it, but normal gameplay will be at 14, when it's going to happen.  If it's supposed to be at 30, it'll be at 28.
« Last Edit: 2014-01-11 19:41:26 by Kalkano »

cmh175

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 2014-01-11 20:50:01 »
You have the Steam version right? I think converted or not it still loads the videos from data\movies. By default 7H probably loads the videos to the same location for the original game, so they may not be used at all and its still loading the orignal 2012's. Make sure 7H is pointed to data\movies for the videos. For the .exe try using the ff7 one the game converter makes, and for the secondary launch app in 7H point it to ff7music. That way itll launch the game using the original executable and play ff7 music.

The issue could be that the game isn't using the right videos still, or it's something else that maybe related to the driver.

Kaldarasha

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 2014-01-11 21:12:48 »
Stop using FF7 Music. The music support is already included in this driver and is far better as FF7 Music.

cmh175

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 2014-01-12 01:57:12 »
I didn't follow how the music works now though. If it's a quick easy thing that sounds great, one less thing that has to run, and one less to troubleshoot when it stops working. I think I saw some where that I have to rename the music files though.

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 2014-01-12 02:39:57 »
Only if you want to put different OST's or songs in. And they have to be .ogg.

Kaldarasha

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 2014-01-12 02:56:48 »

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #70 on: 2014-01-14 01:43:14 »
I'm actually using the remixed mp3s with the ff7music mod. I guess I need to convert them in ogg now and make them looping as well and to do that I need to study how to first...