Author Topic: [Tutorial] Guide to Installing FF7 PC with Mods.  (Read 125308 times)

Rider of Pyrn

Re: Kylos walkthrough guide to installing FF7 PC with mods.
« Reply #25 on: 2011-02-02 19:56:48 »
I can't express enough gratitude for this post.
Being quite inexperienced with mods,  I've been searching for a guide like this for awhile now.
Some of the Modders here  ( ...grateful to all of them) don't seem to be inclined to post instructions or include a read-me file, and some of the ones that do are abstract about it. 
 Using the search funtion seems mostly to yield  mistakes others made when he/she had the nerve to ask questions like "What now?" in some cases ending with ...quit being a nuisance and Use the search function...  :o
  I've been pouring over the general section almost one topic at a time looking for clues.
glad it's over with.
If I had my usual, I'd tip my glass to you.  maybe later.  :wink:

Kylos

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2011-02-03 02:51:04 »
Yes i noticed no easy to use guides on the site, there are a ton of smart people here who know how to install these, but of course some people have trouble with it, even myself when i started playing with mods.

Nice to be helpful, enjoy your game :)

zav

« Reply #27 on: 2011-02-04 21:26:32 »
hey i have a little/big problem.  When i install the game, it works fine up until i install remix.  Once Remix installs it wont run im just greeted with a black screen and when i add 7.10 later i get sound but no picture.  Is there something wrong in my settings or what?

Kylos

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2011-02-05 03:41:55 »
try completely uninstalling and try again.

If it keeps doing something wrong, it might be your graphics card, or your ff7 files are faulty.

zav

« Reply #29 on: 2011-02-05 04:04:19 »
i dont see how my game can be faulty it works fine until i install remix.  is it possible my remix is faulty? im going to try again and this time not install remix and see what happens with just 7.10b

ace_navy0

« Reply #30 on: 2011-02-06 02:21:31 »
After I installed the whole things, loaded my save and entered a battle.
A message was show:
"Error: could not open file:earith.T09"
It seems that I didn't install all the file properly.
Will this make any crashes at the later of the game??
Can I do anything to solve this?
Thanks very much!

Kylos

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2011-02-06 03:13:55 »
A message was show:
Thanks very much!

Ace if you read my walkthrough guide properly, you would have noticed i mentioned these messages, Read this please.

Turning off the error messages

This version of FF7 still has a number of known issues, and Aalis driver tells you when they occur on the screen, this helps for modders, but for some players it may be annoying, so use this command to get rid of it if you wish.

-Go into your openGLconfig text file, and add the command 'disable_popup = yes' into the bottom of the file, and save it.

i dont see how my game can be faulty it works fine until i install remix.  is it possible my remix is faulty? im going to try again and this time not install remix and see what happens with just 7.10b

That is a strange problem, maybe you should download remix again, and test your FF7 out before installing remix, also make sure that when you install ff7 remix that it goes to the correct folder, it is not wise to try and change where FF7 is installed, as Remix will not work properly if you have done that.

ace_navy0

« Reply #32 on: 2011-02-06 04:41:26 »
A message was show:
Thanks very much!

Ace if you read my walkthrough guide properly, you would have noticed i mentioned these messages, Read this please.

Turning off the error messages

This version of FF7 still has a number of known issues, and Aalis driver tells you when they occur on the screen, this helps for modders, but for some players it may be annoying, so use this command to get rid of it if you wish.

-Go into your openGLconfig text file, and add the command 'disable_popup = yes' into the bottom of the file, and save it.

Ya, I missed this part, Thanks!

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2011-02-06 12:40:40 »
You know, you could fix that problem instead of hiding it. There's a fix floating around somewhere on the forums, I believe it was kranmer who made it.

ZombieCharizard

« Reply #34 on: 2011-02-09 03:58:18 »
Wow, amazing, thanks for this dude! My FF7 is looking awesome! ^.^

Kylos

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2011-02-11 12:12:44 »
Aali thanks for that, ill see if i can find it somewhere, but to be honest my FF7 works alright anyways, its only a few graphical errors, nothing major.

Zombie you can thank me for the guide, but the real work on all the mods should go to those who made them :) That is where the real hard work came in, glad you like it.

KHShadowrunner

« Reply #36 on: 2011-02-13 14:17:32 »
I know this was posted quite a while ago. And while it's not the ideal solution, if you can temporarily spare the space...

Simply follow the guide to install, then physically cut/copy the final install to the new drive, finishing by updating the start menu shortcuts to the new folder. Seems to work ok.

Kylos, not all of us  have a PC that's only for gaming :). My primary HDD which is a very fast SSD is rather small, and I'm only trying to keep the OS and certain applications on this drive (like SQL Server). My secondary drive is for my games ... and that is where I want Final Fantasy installed. This Remix has hard-coded paths that simply need to be changed, and I think it's worthwhile to have a section in your walk-through covering this topic as I guarantee you others could benefit from this.

KHShadowrunner

« Reply #37 on: 2011-02-13 16:01:50 »
You know, you could fix that problem instead of hiding it. There's a fix floating around somewhere on the forums, I believe it was kranmer who made it.

Also:

Found this fix here: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=9689.msg134758#msg134758

However, it was this patch that botched up the install :) I'm pretty sure I know exactly why, but I'm not sure where I can modify where it looks for the files. most likely a registry edit...

ERROR: failed to stat file C:\Program Files (x86)\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\/shaders/nolight/main.vert
ERROR: could not open file C:\Program Files (x86)\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\ff7input.cfg
initializing sound...
ERROR: could not open file C:\Program Files (x86)\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\Data\music\music.idx
ERROR: could not open file C:\Program Files (x86)\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\Data\sound\audio.fmt

Just need to redirect it to the right letter drive, since i moved the path.

However, that first Error, looks like it's trying to use the wrong type of path altogether. Any ideas?

EDIT: Annnnd fixed. Just as easy as expected, editing the registry files brings about the resolution needed. even the weird filepath. But! whatever works, works. :)
« Last Edit: 2011-02-13 16:07:10 by KHShadowrunner »

ace_navy0

« Reply #38 on: 2011-02-15 23:57:07 »
I started a new game following this guide as I said before. It's really great! and thank you so much!

But one very minor error needed help. When I reach the scenario which about Could's memories at the first time reaching Kalm, A "improved" movie "nivlsfs.avi" suppose to be played  and it crashes.

I've installed the codec pack "K-Lite_Codec_Pack_690_Full.exe" and I can play it well using media player. I can continue the game by replacing the old one.

The App.log shows at last:
INFO: INFO: D:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc\Final Fantasy VII\movies\nivlsfs.avi; mpeg4/mp3 960x720, 15.000000 FPS, duration: 42.933333, frames: 644ERROR: unhandled exception

Maybe again, that are mistakes done by me during the installation, please help...thx a lots

ace_navy0

« Reply #39 on: 2011-02-18 15:55:01 »
AR~~~any help

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2011-02-18 16:33:35 »
AR~~~any help
Nah, but you do get a warning for double posting/bumping a thread with a post lacking any info. :)

Aris10

« Reply #41 on: 2011-03-07 11:23:21 »
Hello, I'm new here and I have a problem. I followed the instructions exacctly in the tutorial.
First I had a problem that made the game crash, with an error message telling me internal resolution too high. In the APP log whilst all resolutions were 1024x768 as I had configured them to be, the intenal resolution was 1280x1024. Well I changed resolution from the config to 640x480 and problem solved.
But now, when the game starts, the models are all green like this:

If anyone has an idea on how to fix it, or can direct me to the mod that creates the problem, I would really appreciate it.
Also, dunno if it helps, but there is this error in the APP:

"MATRIX INITIALIZE
INITIALIZE DD/D3D END
ERROR: could not open file C:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\ff7input.cfg
initializing sound...

creating dsound primary buffer"

Weeksie

« Reply #42 on: 2011-03-26 06:29:14 »
I have been working on getting Remix going for days now, and have just successfully done it. I want to give some pointers to users who are also experiencing issues, seeing as how these threads have all died basically. I'm running Windows 7 64bit, these are some problems and solutions I had.

I wasn't able to save my changes to ff7_opengl.cfg, so I what I did was:

1: Right-click Square Soft, Inc in the Program Files (x86) directory, select Properties.
2: in the General tab, un-check Read-only, then select the Security tab.
3: In the Security tab, select Edit, a new window should pop-up and allow you to change permissions.
4: In the Permissions window, select your account, which should be (yourname-PC/Users), and check Full Control and Modify.
5: You should be able to modify and save your ff7_opengl.cfg now!

My Team Avalanche High/Lo Res wasn't detecting my Aali Driver, and it was installed!
This drove me nuts, I can't believe how long it took me to figure this out.
YOU HAVE TO right-click FF7Configuration.exe and RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR, THEN you can select Custom Driver. You can't change the settings in FF7Configuration without running as Admin, it just wont register. After you do this, Team Avalanche High/Lo Res will instal juuust fine.

Good luck to those in the near future attempting these mods, it was definetly a struggle with me, but it just takes some effort. Even if you quit, come back to it and see if you can find a way to do it.

Thank you to everyone involved with the creation of these mods, you're amazing people who deserve more credit for what you do. I hope you guys will use your skills to make it big and become successful, or possibly accomplish world domination somewhere down the line. Have fun ;)
« Last Edit: 2011-03-28 09:45:53 by Weeksie »

DarkFang

• Pirate
  • Ponies! <3
    • View Profile
Re: [Tutorial] Guide to Installing FF7 PC with Mods.
« Reply #43 on: 2011-04-10 06:02:51 »
Thank you for this guide! I haven't been here in ages and was wondering if the Remix Installer had all the recent stuff.

A little note, if you turn fancy transparency off, some of the text becomes choppy looking. I turned it back on and it was back to normal. I'm not sure if this happened to you or not.

Thanks again.

amh89

« Reply #44 on: 2011-05-07 21:29:40 »
Hi there!

First post on the forums, I've been trying to install FF7 + these mods for a while now but to no avail. I've followed your directions to a T and am not sure what I am doing wrong. I am using Windows 7 if that makes a difference. I, too, run at 1600x900 resolution, so my settings are exactly the same as the OP's.

Here is my APP log error report:

"INFO: Auto-detected version: FF7 1.02 US English
INFO: FFMpeg movie player plugin loaded
INFO: FFMpeg version SVN-r19334, Copyright (c) 2000-2009 Fabrice Bellard, et al.
INFO: FF7Music helper plugin loaded
INFO: NVIDIA Corporation GeForce 8400M GS/PCI/SSE2 2.1.2
INFO: OpenGL 2.0 support detected
INFO: Found swap_control extension
INFO: Original resolution 640x480, window size 1280x800, output resolution 1280x800, internal resolution 1280x800
LOCK UNLOCK TEST
MATRIX INITIALIZE
INITIALIZE DD/D3D END
initializing sound...
creating dsound primary buffer
reading audio file
loading static sounds
sound initialized
set music volume: 127
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
START OF CREDITS!!!
INFO: C:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc\Final Fantasy VII\movies\eidoslogo.avi; rawvideo/null 364x353, 15.000000 FPS, duration: 0.066667, frames: 1
INFO: C:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc\Final Fantasy VII\movies\sqlogo.avi; mpeg4/mp3 640x480, 15.000000 FPS, duration: 247.788000, frames: 3717
set music volume trans: 127->0, step=60
END OF CREDITS!!!
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
START OF MENU SYSTEM!!!
ERROR: COULD NOT OPEN FILE C:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\save/save04.ff7
ERROR: COULD NOT OPEN FILE C:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\save/save08.ff7
ERROR: COULD NOT OPEN FILE C:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\save/save09.ff7
END OF MENU SYSTEM!!!
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
Field Start
Field Quit
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
-=-=[START OF WORLD MAP!!!]=-=-
stop_sound
stop_sound
-=-=[END OF WORLD MAP!!!]=-=-
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
Entering FRAME_INITIALIZE SWIRL
Exitting FRAME_INITIALIZE SWIRL
Swirl sound_effect1
stop_sound
End of Swirl sound_effect1
Entering FRAME_QUIT SWIRL
Exitting FRAME_QUIT SWIRL
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
[BATTLE] Entering FRAME_INITIALIZE
[BATTLE] Scene# 287
[BATTLE] Exitting FRAME_INITIALIZE
[BATTLE] Begin main battle loop
[BATTLE] End of current battle
[BATTLE] Begin end battle stuff
stop_sound
[BATTLE] Entering FRAME_QUIT
[BATTLE] endof battle.
[BATTLE] Exitting FRAME_QUIT
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
WM_CLOSE
set music volume trans: 127->0, step=60
Field Quit
UNINITIALIZE DD
END UNINITIALIZE DD
"

If anyone has any advice, it would be greatly appreciated. :) I have tried just about everything. If I don't install this compilation mod, everything works fine, but the graphics are super choppy. I noticed in the error log that it is trying to access saves from Program Files, which is not where mine are installed (my game is saved in the Program Files 86/Square Soft/FF7 folder).

EDIT:

Oh, to be more specific -

I open my game and it goes to a black screen, then crashes to desktop either saying "Ff7 has crashed" or the following message:

"Oops! Something very bad happened
Wrote crash.dmp to FF7 install dir.
Please provide a copy of it along with APP.LOG when reporting this error.
Write emergency save to save/crash.ff7?"

I do not hear any sound or see the Eidos logo at all.
« Last Edit: 2011-05-07 21:31:45 by amh89 »

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2011-05-07 21:56:51 »
Argh... Did you follow all the instructions? Not that I encourage people to use FF7 Remix, but anyways, I'll try to help... What do you mean "choppy graphics"? Screenshot?

amh89

« Reply #46 on: 2011-05-07 22:10:38 »
Argh... Did you follow all the instructions? Not that I encourage people to use FF7 Remix, but anyways, I'll try to help... What do you mean "choppy graphics"? Screenshot?

Like I said, yes, exactly. I made no exception to the rules, particularly since my setup is the same as the OP's. I also tried it several times to make sure I was doing everything correctly. If you're not recommending the remix, though, do you have an alternative suggestion? I'd really just like to get high-res graphics, but there are so many mods out there that I'm not sure which one is current. I was just using Aali's graphics before, but could not change the configurations (even with the suggestions of the poster above, who also has Windows 7).

As far as the graphics, I can't take a screenshot right now, since I can't even get the game to start. It just has a very low resolution and the edges of every 3D model is "choppy" (I have no other word, sorry!), as though there's no anti-aliasing at all. If you're willing to wait a bit, I can uninstall the game, reinstall again, and try to get a screenshot then.

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2011-05-07 22:11:44 »
Please do it. Don't install remix but all the mods independantly.

amh89

« Reply #48 on: 2011-05-07 22:52:37 »
Here we are... Let me know if you want a different one. If you look at the 3D model of Cloud and the dead fellows, though, you can see how rough they are around the edges.

Changing the resolution of my opengl file, again, never seems to have an affect when I load the game. For some reason the edges of the characters are actually looking clearer in these screenshots; I suspect it's because they are at a smaller size. I apologize for that, but I can't seem to figure out how to get them to save as the actual size of my screen.

I currently have only OpenGL and the 102 patch installed on this save.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
« Last Edit: 2011-05-07 22:54:42 by amh89 »

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2011-05-07 22:54:10 »
Is it a big issue? =/