Author Topic: Making a Backup Copy of FF7 / Run off the HDD  (Read 6116 times)

B Tizo

• Reliving the Fantasy!
    • View Profile
Making a Backup Copy of FF7 / Run off the HDD
« on: 2007-04-09 00:20:53 »
Hello all:

I've been reading this forum for some time now in anticipation of my copy of Final Fantasy VII Platinum Edition to arrive in the mail.  When it came earlier this week i was thrilled.  I've since downloaded several patches off of this site (or linked to by this site) and I am having a blast.  I love this game, and after getting hooked 10 years ago I'm really excited to play again.  In fact, it will be even sweeter when I complete the game because I was never able to do so when I was first introduced to the game.

But enough rambling.  Like I said, I just got my copy in the mail off of Amazon Marketplace for $65US and some change.  Yeah, I know, crazy for a game 10 years old, but it's a classic and in my opinion worth every penny and then some.  But, since it's so expensive and so old, I really want to make a bunch of backups on different CDs and perhaps one DVD so, just in case I drop a CD and it scratches or my laptop's drive eats one, there will be a spare.  Does anyone know how to make a legal backup copy of the game and get it to run off those CDs?  I know you don't support downloaded games, and this isn't a downloaded copy, so I'm just wondering if people have done this yet, or if it's possible? 

And as an extension of this, is it possible to get the game reading the CDs off the HDD, like the movies?  I've read EmperorSteele's Movie Tweak guide and applied it and it did make the movies infinitely better, so I was wondering if some sort of registry edit would be able to read the CDs off the HDD. 

Here's what I've got:
NPC RP v0.6
YAMP (9999 limit, always run, newmgp)
High Res Cloud Model
New Spell Patch
Advent Avatars

And lastly I want to send out a big thank you to everyone on the forum for all their hard work which has made my journey back to FF7 all the more enjoyable.  I'm really excited about all the great stuff that has happened and is currently happening with all the FF7 mods on this forum.  Simply amazing.

Jari

Re: Making a Backup Copy of FF7 / Run off the HDD
« Reply #1 on: 2007-04-09 00:50:03 »
Sorry, no. This is something we can't do.

It's more than just not supporting downloaded games; it's also about not supporting piracy, and because of that we can't allow people to post specific instructions about how to make copies of the discs. And the first (and second, third, fourth...) person to try posting such instructions will notice that it we can delete messages, too.

It's nothing against you, but since everyone can read this...

That being said, some creative Googling should solve your problem. There are websites which are specialized in things like this. And for what it's worth, I don't think that FFVII has an actual copy protection of any kind.

PS. Oh, direct links to sites supplying such instructions are also no-no. Post one, and you'll notice that your post has mysteriously disappeared.

B Tizo

• Reliving the Fantasy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007-04-09 01:04:12 »
Thank you for your quick reply.  I think I will try some "creative googleing." 

Oh, and don't be so Sad Jari...

:-)http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?action=post;msg=82573;topic=6605.0;sesc=3d62cecd1dfd7a385ec9b19d2460d272
Modify message

MOD EDIT: You are not allowed to post instructions, either.
« Last Edit: 2007-04-09 12:26:20 by Jari »

Qudeid

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007-04-09 13:10:48 »
Hm, where is that link supposed to lead? I get somethign about "session verification failed"...
Anyway. I don't think it is much of a problem to make it like "backup" or so. You don't even need "creative googleing". Just so some creative windowing :D

Jari

« Reply #4 on: 2007-04-09 13:41:29 »
Probably nowhere in particular. If you take out the session ID, it should lead to this thread.

I just left it there, because I had no reason to remove it, either.

Qudeid

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007-04-14 13:14:28 »
I just read the FF8 Sticky Thread...
Well, if the author there can state how you could run FF8 without CDs (like form your HDD), why not here?
I can see the problem that this could result in people making illeagal copies, but, you know, if one can say there how it works, why not here?

Jari

« Reply #6 on: 2007-04-14 13:49:58 »
Well, I for one do think that author of that thread shouldn't say it - and have thought so ever since it was posted, but I'm not going to start editing threads that were posted before I was a moderator (technically it actually wasn't, but just barely; at that time I was only cleaning up the place, instead of actively moderating), nor am I going to intentionally step on the toes of other moderators.

You really should ask Alhexx why it's there, since he has edited that post.

What the f*** is up with the "He could do it! He could do it! So it's right for me to do it as well!"-trend, anyway? If something is clearly against the rules, how about just accepting it, instead of trying to come up with excuses?

Hyunckel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007-04-14 14:29:24 »
before I was a moderator (technically it actually wasn't, but just barely; at that time I was only cleaning up the place, instead of actively moderating), nor am I going to intentionally step on the toes of other moderators.
Speaking of that, how can we see if someone is a moderator? You seem to be one, but alhexx is "global moderator" ok, but your "rank" is "insane poster", as alot of people here i assume? Is it because we can change that " cool newbie" , "insnae poster" "no life" "freak" etc ?don't understand it in fact.

What the f*** is up with the "He could do it! He could do it! So it's right for me to do it as well!"-trend, anyway? If something is clearly against the rules, how about just accepting it, instead of trying to come up with excuses?
I totally agree with that, especially when a little googling gives you all you need to know...

Jari

« Reply #8 on: 2007-04-14 14:49:38 »
There's a reason for that; originally (ok, I was an official moderator many years ago, but that's a different thing) I had the privileges just to clean up the filth General had become, so there was no point in pointing out to people that I am one. Especially because there are - or at least were - lots of people who would have had a hissy fit in the "OMGWTFBBQ!!!111 Jari is a moderator again! I'm leaving"-style, if they had known.

Since then I've started to moderate more actively, basically because nobody else - except for Aaron sometimes - seems to do it.

And as far as I know, I am the only moderator who doesn't have the tag under my name, so there shouldn't be other ones. Except of course if Qhimm has decided that there are. You know, maybe we are like Cylons; there are sleeper moderators everywhere. You never know before we activate. IM IN UR FLEETS SHOOTING UR ADAMAS. :-D

*cough* Ok, sorry for that. :) Bad attempt at teh funny. :)

As for the having the tag or not... while I can see the benefits of having one, I do not particularly want one, or think that I need one. I have pretty strict views of people I like to call "prestige moderators"; meaning people who want the job just to have the title. Which is one of the reasons why I don't want the title for myself.

Should Qhimm want to indicate that I am a moderator... well, I won't say that he can't do it, but it's something I am not going to ask. He does it if he feels that it's necessary.

Qudeid

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007-04-14 15:21:19 »

I didn't say that. But my opinion is that if one is allowed to do it others should be as well, as for equality of rights. The point that it might support people who illegally own the game and use this to make it work is yet another topic.
Still, I need to say, I can see why it shouldn't be done and I'm not arguing about that. I'm merely arguing that, if something is prohibited, then it should be consistently prohibited. The same goes for selling Mature-Rated games to minors... (just an example of what I observed)

About the Mod-Tag: This sometimes also bears some grudge in it... I mean, some users are immediately offended if a moderator criticizes, but wouldn't be offended if it was a normal user. Mods are often/always the "bad guys" (I can see that someone could be upset by whatever a mod deletes, but if that delete was righteous, meaning posting etc. was forbidden, that person himself is the one responsible for this, the mod is only doing his job).
On the other hand, if there is a Mod-Tag you know to who you can go if there is any problem. Well, now I know I can go to Jari ^_^

Hyunckel

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007-04-14 15:28:15 »
lots of people who would have had a hissy fit in the "OMGWTFBBQ!!!111 Jari is a moderator again! I'm leaving"-style, if they had known.
But now they are not here anymore, are they?

Since then I've started to moderate more actively, basically because nobody else - except for Aaron sometimes - seems to do it.
Yeah they are called moderators, but curiously you seem the only one to moderate everyone lol, that's why i didn't understand it!

And as far as I know, I am the only moderator who doesn't have the tag under my name, so there shouldn't be other ones. Except of course if Qhimm has decided that there are. You know, maybe we are like Cylons; there are sleeper moderators everywhere. You never know before we activate. IM IN UR FLEETS SHOOTING UR ADAMAS. :-D

*cough* Ok, sorry for that. :) Bad attempt at teh funny. :)
No i liked it  ^^ You don't have to be strict and stubborn , you know, you can moderate and be happy :-)
But i support you in your crusade in purifying evil spirits that don't care about spelling and grammatical errors . We are not on a chat .

As for the having the tag or not... while I can see the benefits of having one, I do not particularly want one, or think that I need one. I have pretty strict views of people I like to call "prestige moderators"; meaning people who want the job just to have the title. Which is one of the reasons why I don't want the title for myself.

Should Qhimm want to indicate that I am a moderator... well, I won't say that he can't do it, but it's something I am not going to ask. He does it if he feels that it's necessary.
Yeah you're right, no need to have the tag, but a hint like "completly insane poster" would indicate you aren't normal lol
Just for beginners to know you're not a normal member, at first sight i thought you were a litlle member that just wanted to be moderator and gave advices to everyone, but when i saw "last edited by jari" in someone's else posts, i understood. By the way, "sad jari" in unregistered posts is you, right?

Thank you for all your help.

Jari

« Reply #11 on: 2007-04-14 19:20:02 »
lots of people who would have had a hissy fit in the "OMGWTFBBQ!!!111 Jari is a moderator again! I'm leaving"-style, if they had known.
But now they are not here anymore, are they?

Most of them are not, true. Rest - while probably aware of it by now - have chosen to not make an issue out of it. As of yet, anyways.

By the way, "sad jari" in unregistered posts is you, right?

Yes, it is.