Author Topic: FF7 Extensions (merged)  (Read 4053 times)

stevenw9

• View Profile
FF7 Extensions (merged)
« on: 2006-10-06 17:28:43 »
I need to know how to access these files so I can start messing with them. I may possibly be able to mess with stuff for Q-Gears or as seperate add-ons. :) Here is the list!

.tim
.lgp
.dat
.tex
.lmd
.ply
.bin (I've only ever known them to reference to .ISO files so... i'm at a loss)
.sf2
.idx
.bot
.map
.p
.dll (C++ editor maybe?)

If you have any information on any of these extensions in reference to FF7 please let me know. If you know what programs I could use to access them that would be even better! Thanks in advance! ^.^

Synergy Blades

Re: FF7 Extensions
« Reply #1 on: 2006-10-06 17:45:36 »
.dll (C++ editor maybe?)

Erm...

Anyway, you really ought to do a search since a lot of your questions have been answered, and some are just common knowledge since they crop up so often, that a search will enlighten you on instantly, such as lgp. I'd advise that editing or even browsing some stuff is a little harder than you seem to be suggesting you think it is, with the way you wrote your post.

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
Re: FF7 Extensions
« Reply #2 on: 2006-10-07 00:09:41 »
Stevenw9,

As much as I appreciate your offer to assist in Q-gears, I can't help but to notice that you seem to have no clue on even the most basic forms of application development. Not only this, you seemed to have disregarded an entire article located here that answers almost every question you have. There is not really much of an excuse to miss this, as it's posted as a sticky at the top of the forum and begs you to take the time to read it.

I have to let you know, Q-gears, right now, looks like pages and pages of this. Most likely any help you have to offer, we have figured out years ago.

What annoys me, is that you didn't even bother to look. Your technical assumptions above make you look silly at best. If you would of bothered to look at the "READ ME FIRST" post, that I personally took time out to write in a desperate attempt from studying a mid-term, you would of found a link to my "Gears" document. ( I've also vested a good deal of time writing that too, all 200 pages of it, along with others). In this document it explains, for example, what a .bin file is.

I ask you to *please read* the very top postings, or at least follow the links above. You will probably learn that what you think we are doing and what we are actually doing are two different things.
« Last Edit: 2006-10-07 00:12:02 by halkun »

stevenw9

• View Profile
Extensions
« Reply #3 on: 2006-10-07 00:26:33 »
####Mod edit: Merged####

I would appreciate it if you didn't lock my topics to where I can't even edit to add something. I read the document and I see NOTHING about those extensions! Just because I know nothing now doesn't mean i'll know nothing later... I find your post to be overly -rude-.
« Last Edit: 2006-10-07 04:06:36 by halkun »

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
Re: FF7 Extensions (merged)
« Reply #4 on: 2006-10-07 04:22:28 »
From the article link above, found at:
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=5556.0

Also also found at the sticky at the top of the forum, with this title...

The Q-gears project *READ THIS FIRST*

You will find this:

That sounds cool, how can I help?
Well, there are lots of things to do. First you should probably learn how the original Final Fantasy 7 works. You do this by grab a copy of the reference document, "Gears" from here.
http://q-gears.sourceforge.net/gears.pdf
This gives you an overview of the system, but it is woefully incomplete. It's enough to get you started on the system and is a cool read if you just want to know how the program ticks. For more information on Gears (the document), read Part, the second, later on.

Now if you were to download the gears.pdf document.... Let's see... You want to know about the .tim format?

Page 32 of gears, section 2.1
2.1 TIM texture data format for PSX

The TIM files are found both on raw format and also within several archives, including BIN, LZS, or even MNU. The format proper has....

Ok How about .lgp?

Well, let's see gears.pdf, page 30, section 1.1.3
1.1.3. LGP Archive format for PC by Ficedula

This section explains how the LGP archives from FF7PC are constructed. There's probably....

It says, in plain text, in the post, what to do to help and where to go. I can't believe you didn't find anything. It's right there.

This is a discussion that belongs in Tech-related anyway, or Game Tweaking at least. I locked this thread before because it served no purpose here, and now I'm locking it to serve as a sign post to others.
« Last Edit: 2006-10-07 04:32:45 by halkun »