Author Topic: FF8 Battle & Field Model Viewer  (Read 8559 times)

Lucleonhart

• View Profile
    • Lucleonhart.de
FF8 Battle & Field Model Viewer
« on: 2006-07-18 12:52:00 »
Hello Cracks! ^^
I searched for .. well 6hours through this forum to find a FF8 model viewer.
I found amazing Pics from Qhimm, many sentences like "yeah, its working, but i will work on.."

But i did not find a single programm.

So, i have Eight here, Garden as well as Unmass, Biturn, FF8:AC but nothing works well (Biturn shows funny little abstract forms, and thats it).

After researching in the www i found CharEdit by KVaks. It worked! But many models have reversed Heads or Bodys.
Qhimm wrote in one Thread that he fixed the Problem.. but "works on this viewer"...
All these Threads were written in 2004.

So please Qhimm, mirex, or someone else.. could you release this half done projects?

Same with the FF8 Battle Backgrounds.. no answers found just suggestions like "jeah, i'm working on it"...

Some little tools would be WONDERFUL!!! :))

Greetz
Luc

Cyberman

• View Profile
Re: FF8 Battle & Field Model Viewer
« Reply #1 on: 2006-07-18 19:30:55 »
I think this is in the 'too be done' catagory.

Everyone is busy these days.  I inclusive.

Cyb

Lucleonhart

• View Profile
    • Lucleonhart.de
« Reply #2 on: 2006-07-18 19:55:42 »
Ok, i will be patient! :)
But i have 2 little questions left:

- Is it possible to get that model viewer, that correctes the wrong-sided models?! That would be really great!!! *XD*
- Biturn: I unpacked the Field data with Garden, then unpacked the model data with FF8:AC, now i have the field models of the characters (did not found them with CharEdit..?!?). When i open them with Biturn, i only see the Bones..
I plan to export them to 3D Max.. where are the Textures and the shapes?

Many thanks!
Great work of all of you! :)

[EDIT:]
Biturn Error: When i load any of the Battle Models into Biturn, the Program stucks.. The Log File says:
== Biturn v0.87b3, created by Mirex ==
--- Loading file [C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Luc\Eigene Dateien\FF8\models\c0m068.dat] ---
Loading ff8 battle model...
StoreVertex:Vertexs limit reached
Ok, Meshes and Textures are clear for 3DMax .. any tipps for a good rendering? :)
« Last Edit: 2006-07-19 04:57:06 by Lucleonhart »

Lucleonhart

• View Profile
    • Lucleonhart.de
« Reply #3 on: 2006-07-19 10:52:58 »
Could it be that Biturn cannot open the german versions of the models?! Strange but possible?
Can someone send me his english NTFS Battle.fs/fi/fl so I can try them out..?! That would be nice! :)

mirex

• View Profile
    • http://mirex.mypage.sk
« Reply #4 on: 2006-07-19 12:08:33 »
Hi. I don't think that model files differ in any way between language mutations.

Problem in global is that file was not analysed completely, I could not find out the proper model structure and it is where it has stopped. What is displayed by last version of Biturn is last and final status unless someone finds working model description somewhere on the internet. Qhimm said he has some ideas about model structure, but he hasn't released any specification or source so far.
I also tried to contact Kvaks for the specs but I got no response either.

There ARE some nice renders, as you probably seen in former FF8 threads or here: http://bin.mypage.sk/FILES/render01-1-ray.jpg but I don't know how they were archieved.

Also look here: http://ffab.mypage.sk/viewtopic.php?t=34 , that's another discussion about the 3D models from FF8.

Lucleonhart

• View Profile
    • Lucleonhart.de
« Reply #5 on: 2006-07-19 12:39:51 »
Ok, i tried out what mario said in the other thread.. Biturn can open nr 132, but the file is not good for 3D Max.. (you can read my answer in the other Thread.).
It's pretty strange why some models can be opened (nr 4 and 132 4 example), others wont work.

BTW: Biturn 0.84a4 do not crash, it just says

--- Loading file [C:\tests\data\ger\battle\c0m003.dat] ---
Loading ff8 battle model...
File is corrupted, quitting

Oh damn, there must be a way...
Isn't it possible to take the working human bone model for all corrupt models, so i can fix them in 3D max on my own? And where is qhimms perfekt solution?! ;-)

Greetz Luc

Lucleonhart

• View Profile
    • Lucleonhart.de
« Reply #6 on: 2006-07-19 14:00:13 »
Another doppelpost, i'm sorry..

I tried out various Biturn versions, and every has another effect:

0.81 -> Cannot open .dat files
0.824 -> Cannot open .dat files
0.83 -> Cannot open .dat files
0.831 -> Cannot open .dat files
0.84a4 -> --- Loading file [C:\tests\data\ger\battle\c0m132.dat] --- Loading ff8 battle model... File is corrupted, quitting
0.85 -> --- Loading file [C:\tests\data\ger\battle\c0m132.dat] --- Loading ff8 battle model... File is corrupted, quitting
0.86a2 -> http://www.lucleonhart.de/pics/086a2.jpg (works with every model)
0.86a3 -> http://www.lucleonhart.de/pics/086a3.jpg (works with every model)
0.87 -> The same as 0.86a3
0.87b2 -> The same as 0.86a3
0.87b3 -> The same, too, but i can see bones! O_o

Then in 3D Max:
0.86a2 -> Funny looking "thing". *g* It's like an explosion! ^^
0.86a3 until 0.87b3 -> Improper file format.. *whine*

[EDIT:] Exporting as 3DS or milkshape ascii crashes 3DS or milkshape...extracting as RAW or milkshape binary works, but the models in milkshape are looking like something abstract. *g*
« Last Edit: 2006-07-19 14:11:27 by Lucleonhart »

Lucleonhart

• View Profile
    • Lucleonhart.de
« Reply #7 on: 2008-11-08 09:57:51 »
*megabump*
Anything new to add here from you? :)

Thanks in advance!

Zure

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2011-05-16 17:23:49 »
Sorry to up this topic, but I have a question... I have extracted the battle files of ff8. I have a folder with c0mXXX.dat which are monsters models, d0cXXX.dat which are chara models, d0wXXX.dat which are weapon models

Who knows what are a0stgXXX.x files???