Author Topic: Beta Test  (Read 23133 times)

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
Beta Test
« on: 2009-11-12 06:32:51 »
Hey guys i need your help testing out the new installer for the avalanche overhaul.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RE6V17V6

If you install it and then decide you wish to use an optional component instead just redo the installation and only select the component u wish and it will change the files for that component (eg. color vs alternate world map)

Please post any problems in this topic.

Note: The installer checks if you have aali's driver installed and configured. If it isnt it will tell you and not allow any further progress.
         The install image and license agreement are just defaults for now. Ignore them

Izban

• View Profile
Re: Beta Test
« Reply #1 on: 2009-11-12 08:09:34 »
Tried it out

the interface was nice not too cluttered easy to understand

checked the folder all the files i selected where there none i didn't want

not sure if it is supposed to repack the .LPG's  or pack them at all because  i don't have FF7 installed

don't know if this is an issue but it didn't check if FF7 was installed

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009-11-12 18:12:40 »
Tried it out

the interface was nice not too cluttered easy to understand

checked the folder all the files i selected where there none i didn't want

not sure if it is supposed to repack the .LPG's  or pack them at all because  i don't have FF7 installed

don't know if this is an issue but it didn't check if FF7 was installed

It only checks the registry for the ff7 install directory. It repacks lgp's if it finds them (in your case it will not).

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009-11-13 01:44:58 »
Has anyone tested this that has ff7 installed?

deadbeat

• View Profile
    • Dead Beats
« Reply #4 on: 2009-11-13 02:20:39 »
tried it today. It replaced my hi res menu avatars (no big deal).

Played on a little, no problems whatsoever.

I only used it to reinstall the 2DO as I wasn't sure it was working right. Already had barrett. Didn't use the world map as I had issues with that described in another thread.

The installer worked just fine

Edited to say: sorry should have said...Win 7 X64
« Last Edit: 2009-11-13 02:23:41 by deadbeat »

« Reply #5 on: 2009-11-13 02:39:28 »
Hm... It worked fine before the install? But now, it is asking for a movie plug-in?

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009-11-13 02:50:23 »
Hm... It worked fine before the install? But now, it is asking for a movie plug-in?

FF7 is asking for a movie plugin?

« Reply #7 on: 2009-11-13 02:55:12 »

yeah... or it is saying it can't find/ load it.

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009-11-13 02:57:14 »
Do you have a plugins folder in your ff7 folder?

« Reply #9 on: 2009-11-13 02:59:46 »
yes... I do. I am going to try and re download Aali's drivers.
That re download... turned into a full scale re-install... most of my LGPs are shot.. due to my excessive personal mods. :D
I will get back to you, if it still doesn't work afterward.

Broken Crowe

EDIT:
A reinstall of the game and Aali's drivers did the charm. My FF7 Folder was getting messy O.O...
Lol.
Sorry for the waste of space.

The installer seems to be working fine. :D
« Last Edit: 2009-11-13 03:28:16 by BrokenCrowe »

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009-11-13 05:21:31 »
Right on, glad to see everything is working fairly good.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009-11-13 16:59:37 »
My FF7 is also ridiculously overmodded, so when I do a clean install I'll let you know how this installer works

drfeelgud88

• da DOC iz here!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #12 on: 2009-11-13 17:46:32 »
So, this installer will only work if you don't have modded files? Because I don't have the latest Team Avalanche mods on my FF7.

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2009-11-13 17:48:22 »
So, this installer will only work if you don't have modded files? Because I don't have the latest Team Avalanche mods on my FF7.

It should work fine regardless of if the files are already modded. But thats why this test is there. Try it out, tell me what happens.

GI-Jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2009-11-14 05:07:15 »
Worked fine for me on windows 7 64 bit

willis936

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2009-11-14 14:04:49 »
WIn7 x64 RTM

ff7music had some issue so I took out my lgps that had changes that I wanted to keep (world map, char, battle) and did a full, clean, deleted folders and shortcuts, cleared the registry uninstall then full install.  Applied aali's driver, replaced the lgps and ff7/config, applied the main menu mod, then your awesome installer and voila.  Like magic everything is magnificent.

Excellent work, this is rivaling aali's driver in terms of sheer awesomeness (though the driver is what allowed the project to kick off).

The only thing I might add is on the opening page state in all caps to not exit the installer before the close button appears.  Some might think it's locked up when really it's just repacking the archives.  I didn't do it, most anyone who's browsed here more than a week wouldn't do it, but for new guys it would be helpful.
« Last Edit: 2009-11-14 14:19:56 by willis936 »

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2009-11-14 15:25:17 »
WIn7 x64 RTM

ff7music had some issue so I took out my lgps that had changes that I wanted to keep (world map, char, battle) and did a full, clean, deleted folders and shortcuts, cleared the registry uninstall then full install.  Applied aali's driver, replaced the lgps and ff7/config, applied the main menu mod, then your awesome installer and voila.  Like magic everything is magnificent.

Excellent work, this is rivaling aali's driver in terms of sheer awesomeness (though the driver is what allowed the project to kick off).

The only thing I might add is on the opening page state in all caps to not exit the installer before the close button appears.  Some might think it's locked up when really it's just repacking the archives.  I didn't do it, most anyone who's browsed here more than a week wouldn't do it, but for new guys it would be helpful.

Just to inform you the installer backs up all the lgp's that it works on so there is no need to back them up. If you wish to revert just copy the lgp's from backup files back to the original places (until i get an uninstaller working)

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2009-11-14 16:07:20 »
Installer worked perfectly. no issues what-so-ever very clean, very informative. And best of all. works with Win7 x64 :-D

willis936

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2009-11-14 19:04:45 »
The uninstaller works fine since it just deletes the new .lgps and replaces them with the backed up ones and those are the only changes it makes.  A very good system.

The issue was that I recently upgraded from the RC to the RTM and some of the installed programs had a few kinks, this one included.  No issues related to the beta driver or this project.

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2009-11-14 19:12:17 »
The uninstaller works fine since it just deletes the new .lgps and replaces them with the backed up ones and those are the only changes it makes.  A very good system.

The issue was that I recently upgraded from the RC to the RTM and some of the installed programs had a few kinks, this one included.  No issues related to the beta driver or this project.

Thats interesting, since i havnt done anything to the uninstaller section yet

willis936

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2009-11-14 19:39:50 »
Haha, how strange.  Well there's an uninstaller.exe in the FFVII directory after you install, I was having trouble so I decided to click it, it was all set after a half second and the backup folder was gone and the lgp sizes were that of the original again so I just assumed that's what it did.
The beauty of it all is that the only changes it makes are to the .lgps (no registry work or fancy things that could leave traces or damages) so once the old .lgps are back everything is Exactly how it was before you ran the uninstaller.

EDIT:  Also, I'm noticing some issues with summons.  It seems that some textures that use transparency don't always appear transparent so black boxes will flicker around them.  Also, on summons like KOTOR when multiple images are layered on top of each other and moving (like the cosmic background) there will be breaks and cracks at seams where you wouldn't see normally.  They're jagged and geometric.  I'm not quite sure why this is.
« Last Edit: 2009-11-15 15:55:14 by willis936 »

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2009-11-15 18:17:46 »
Haha, how strange.  Well there's an uninstaller.exe in the FFVII directory after you install, I was having trouble so I decided to click it, it was all set after a half second and the backup folder was gone and the lgp sizes were that of the original again so I just assumed that's what it did.
The beauty of it all is that the only changes it makes are to the .lgps (no registry work or fancy things that could leave traces or damages) so once the old .lgps are back everything is Exactly how it was before you ran the uninstaller.

EDIT:  Also, I'm noticing some issues with summons.  It seems that some textures that use transparency don't always appear transparent so black boxes will flicker around them.  Also, on summons like KOTOR when multiple images are layered on top of each other and moving (like the cosmic background) there will be breaks and cracks at seams where you wouldn't see normally.  They're jagged and geometric.  I'm not quite sure why this is.

I need screens, this may be something to do with the new graphics driver that i will have to fix with the textures

willis936

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2009-11-16 01:44:31 »
I know this really isn't the place but how do you take in game screens in FFVII?

blueropes

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2009-11-16 03:19:55 »
I've never taken the time to download anything special for it, so I just use 'print screen' for in game shots and enlarge them just a bit for anyone that needs to see them, they usually come out ok.

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2009-11-16 03:47:51 »
Fraps is pretty good