Author Topic: No FFXPC (maybe) ....  (Read 49477 times)

Darkness

• View Profile
    • http://www.x0r.net
No FFXPC (maybe) ....
« Reply #75 on: 2002-01-09 20:44:00 »
many premanufactured systems include dvd drives. pc games cost just as much, if not more than ps2 games. A PC with 4-5x the processing power of a PS2 can now be bought for about the same price :D
[edited] 249 2002-01-09 21:44

atzn

• View Profile
No FFXPC (maybe) ....
« Reply #76 on: 2002-01-09 20:49:00 »
Heh, one GT3 DVD costs 34.99 quids
Return To Castle Wolfenstein, which is a new game, costs 29.99 quids.

And apart from that, RTCW supports free multiplayer gaming....   :)

Anyway, as I said before, no point comparing the games prices...   :cool: .... as I don't even have money to buy any   :cry:

heh heh.

PurpleSmurf

• View Profile
No FFXPC (maybe) ....
« Reply #77 on: 2002-01-09 20:52:00 »
the hell is a quid? is it a dollar? or something else? cause thats how much RCW costs here.

Darkness

• View Profile
No FFXPC (maybe) ....
« Reply #78 on: 2002-01-09 20:54:00 »
RtcW is 50 USD, i think. i think a quid is a malaysian dollar.

PurpleSmurf

• View Profile
No FFXPC (maybe) ....
« Reply #79 on: 2002-01-09 20:56:00 »
oh i thought it was lower as it wasn't selling too well. maybe i'm just being ignorant again.... hope not

vvalentine

• View Profile
No FFXPC (maybe) ....
« Reply #80 on: 2002-01-09 21:40:00 »
Chibimaruko:   There is an obvious explanation of why many people would like FFX for the PC.  Personally I cannot afford to buy one.  I mean, I could buy 5 playstation2s with my savings alone, but I have to buy books, pay rent, buy food, pay utilities, car expenses, and some minor miscellaneous things.  Plus I don't have a job right now.  I have a laptop, and I was able to barely buy that.  That is all I have for everything.  The thing is that Squaresoft can do a PC version of FFX.  They just don't want to do it because of Sony (increase the sale of Playstation2).  I don't buy many games (sometimes friends let me "borrow" them), but if it was something from Squaresoft, then I would buy it.  
     It's just like buying a $350 FFX for people who ONLY (and just only) want to play FFX.  Get my drift?

-vvalentine

ficedula

• View Profile
    • http://www.ficedula.co.uk
No FFXPC (maybe) ....
« Reply #81 on: 2002-01-09 22:10:00 »
A quid is a British pound (UKP). I wasn't aware that Malaysia used the same slang for their money too ;)

Darkness

• View Profile
No FFXPC (maybe) ....
« Reply #82 on: 2002-01-09 22:31:00 »
well, hes from malaysia, so there was a chance i would be right :D

cHiBiMaRuKo

• View Profile
No FFXPC (maybe) ....
« Reply #83 on: 2002-01-10 03:15:00 »

However, I disagree that C(onsoles) are better choices than PCs. PCs may not have the instant play that any console may have, but the PCs can do a helluva lot more than any console ever made! (I'd make a list, but I want to keep this post less than a page or so...)

Personally, if I have the choice between C and PC, I'll go with PC anyday of the week! First of all, the quality is usually much better. The resolutions are higher, plus you can play just about any game you want, including N64, SNES, NES, PSX, and a ton of other systems if you download an emulator. Show me a C that can do that!

The quality may be better, but ePSXe don't even play 30% games out there. And what is better between this 2:-

1. Playing at 1024x768 with a 17' monitor with stereo sound.
2. Playing at 640x480 with a flatscreen Sony Wega 29" TV plus with Dolby Surround (or maybe AC-3) sound.

I'll take the second option anytime! None of the console emu out there plays all games anyway; zSNES, ePSXe etc. So you can't just play any games you want. Until now, I still can't make Formula 1 2001 to boot up with ePSXe. And so are Smackdown 2. Lots of great games like those 2 are just unplayable with emu. Show me a console emu that can play all games and I will shut up. Or maybe you can show me a console that  don't allow you to play all titles for its platform. There''s simply none out there.

Console surely can't do word processing and stuff, but that's why I have a computer! I personally think if a computer can do anything, maybe my productivity will be reduced, that's all. I buy a console NOT to make a weekly reports or creating PowerPoint slide shows, but to play games! And all my consoles do a terrific job with it.

There is an obvious explanation of why many people would like FFX for the PC. Personally I cannot afford to buy one. I mean, I could buy 5 playstation2s with my savings alone, but I have to buy books, pay rent, buy food, pay utilities, car expenses, and some minor miscellaneous things. Plus I don't have a job right now. I have a laptop, and I was able to barely buy that. That is all I have for everything. The thing is that Squaresoft can do a PC version of FFX. They just don't want to do it because of Sony (increase the sale of Playstation2). I don't buy many games (sometimes friends let me "borrow" them), but if it was something from Squaresoft, then I would buy it.

I don't believe that Squaresoft will be able to port the FFX without requiring you to have a GeForce 2 class graphic accelerator. But if you want them to port FFX and sacrificing in quality, it will be better if Squaresoft doesn't port FFX at all. Nevertheless, there are a lot of great game developers out there. SquareSoft is not only a good developer out there, there are also some others like Enix, Namco, Capcom and the list goes on and on. And not all Squaresoft games are that good anyway. Personally, I think FFX's quality hovers just barely above average, but the graphics and voice-overs are the ones that will keep me playing that game. Try to look other developers' PS2 offerings and you will not regret buying a PS2. Can't afford it? Start saving! It's fortunate that I'm now working though.....

I just can't really think why people wants to play FFX with crappy graphics, because FFX will surely looks like a stupid title without the that great graphic (which is the main reason why FFX is a good title).

Joey

• View Profile
No FFXPC (maybe) ....
« Reply #84 on: 2002-01-10 07:17:00 »
Most probally, if Square really wants to port to PC, it will hint that. Try reading magazine interviews.

- Nathan

(Sorry, Joey....)

Sephiroth 3D

• View Profile
    • ModCitizen 42
No FFXPC (maybe) ....
« Reply #85 on: 2002-01-10 09:49:00 »
A console that will pay every game, huh? Ok. NEStical. It plays EVERY NES game ever made with little-to-no problems whatsoever!

And they don't have to sacrifice quality at all. Where did you get that crap? (sorry if I sound mean. I's WAY past my bedtime, and I'm starting to get hungery...) GF2 cards basicly exist in every gamer's system, if not better cards. (The GF3 TI 500 comes to mind...) Requiring such a card is not a big deal. What I'm more worried about is the HD space required. Even with the requirements of a DVD-ROM and a GF2, that's not nearly expensive to a gamer like me as buying a PS2 and a memorycard and FF10.

As for the other games, I've seen a few good ones, but so far, the only game that even makes buying a PS2 worth it, if FF10. And if I can get that on PC for $60, I'll do it. It's better than $370! (You guys have to remember to buy memory cards!)

Sephiroth 3D

"I don't understand..." "You don't have to understand." - Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within

Sephiroth 3D.com
[email protected]

ficedula

• View Profile
    • http://www.ficedula.co.uk
No FFXPC (maybe) ....
« Reply #86 on: 2002-01-10 10:16:00 »
Seph3d: Yeah. The reason I have a PC is that I need one for my uni course ... but the reason I have a *good* PC is to play games on it. I could probably do my uni work on a P-300, maybe less, but I have a more powerful one for gamesplaying, mostly. Reason? I'm a student and I *can't* afford more than one games system. Given the choice between a PS2 *or* a GC *or* an XBox *or* a games capable PC, I'd go for the PC. Which I have. Because however badly, it can at least attempt to play games from other consoles (and FF9, for a start, looked well better on my PC than on my friends PS2, and the N64 games look OK) - in addition of course, all the PC native games are great, and there's more of them too.

It's not a question of "well, I could get a PS2 if I wanted, it'd just mean saving up", to do that I'd need to get a job (nice idea, but my workload is bad enough *now*) or give up something like, umm, going out? So, if I don't go out at all for the next 4-5 months I could afford a PS2. Thanks, but no thanks.

I'm already going to have a big enough debt when I leave uni without spending any more on leisure. I can justify upgrading a PC that I need anyway, since that's not too expensive (and it *does* get used for my course too; the 3d card means I can do programming in 3d graphics, and so on). I can justify going out because you *can't* spend all your time working. I *can't* justify spending £200 on a PS2, plus buying ridiculously expensive games for them (sorry, I've never seen a PC game released more than £30, but that would be cheap for the PS2).

cHiBiMaRuKo

• View Profile
No FFXPC (maybe) ....
« Reply #87 on: 2002-01-10 13:55:00 »

And they don't have to sacrifice quality at all. Where did you get that crap? (sorry if I sound mean. I's WAY past my bedtime, and I'm starting to get hungery...) GF2 cards basicly exist in every gamer's system, if not better cards. (The GF3 TI 500 comes to mind...) Requiring such a card is not a big deal. What I'm more worried about is the HD space required. Even with the requirements of a DVD-ROM and a GF2, that's not nearly expensive to a gamer like me as buying a PS2 and a memorycard and FF10.

You obviously don't play lots of PS2 games surely. The graphic in FFX is just awesome (I'm not kidding - and I am not talking about cut-scenes). Not only FFX, other games are too, for example The Bouncer and Fifa 2002. Even I am worried that GeForce 2 is probably not enough to match PS2 Emotion Engine graphic capabilities. GeForce 2 class accelerators maybe is the standard of the gamers out there. But remember, not all gamers play Final Fantasy. If Square does wants to port FFX to PC AND does decide that they don't want to sacrifice quality, the target market that would be able to play FFX will be so small the R.O.I. will be not enough for the company. It's not viable for SquareSoft to make FFXPC just because a few people wants it. And does people will actually go out and buy a DVD-ROM and a GeForce 2 accelerators just for FFX? I think not.

And about NESticle, it doesn't play some Megaman games....

Actualyy (for me), FFX doesn't really merit buying the PS2. But I am still buying it because of other games like Madden, Smackdown 3( I will buy this in the future), Fifa 2002 etc. I will rather playing console games on a console than playing it on a PC. No quirks at all. And it's not that my computer is not powerful enough. It may be a little expensive than PC games, but it really worth it. About memorycards, it's not that the contents are unerasable.....

Intel-Xeon

• View Profile
No FFXPC (maybe) ....
« Reply #88 on: 2002-01-10 15:05:00 »
Ahahahaha! Oh god! Graphics DO NOT make a good game. In fact, graphics have no point. Think back  to Chrono Trigger, it is still the best game ever created. Just because FFX has good graphics does not mean it is a good game.

PurpleSmurf

• View Profile
No FFXPC (maybe) ....
« Reply #89 on: 2002-01-10 15:24:00 »
graphics do mean something in a game. like no one would play ,say, war craft 3 "for the engine" the point of that game is the way it LOOKS. graphics shape a game and what people think about II.

II: you stole darkness's avatar.

atzn

• View Profile
No FFXPC (maybe) ....
« Reply #90 on: 2002-01-10 19:11:00 »
Hey hey darkness you're wrong... quids is UKP (United Kingdom Pounds) as Ficedula said..... he's right after all! :D

Though I'm from Malaysia... I did mentioned that I'm studying in UK now   :D
Msia's currency exchange... 1 quid = 5 Ringgit, thus a 29.99 quids game would cost approximately 150 Ringgits!   :)
I learn the term 'quid' from my English friends here...... hehehehe

Yes, good points, a PC might need a GeForce2 card to play FFX, etc.

Games graphic is quite an important aspect too, imagine asking someone to play a game like Final Fantasy VIII on software rendering... no way, I would rather play it on a PSX then    :)

And cHiBiMaRuKo, you said a choice between a 17' monitor with stereo sound vs. a Sony Wega 29'  Wega TV plus Dolby Surround... obviously whoever would be smart enough to choose the second one.... but

PC development has advanced a lot too, PC do have 5.1 speakers that can produce the same quality sound too    :wink:
and also don't forget TV-Output..... hehehe (But I think many people don't even bother about it heh)
There are pros and cons if you're comparing the graphics of both PC and PS2. PS2 certainly has the edge in graphics even in low res thanks to the scanlines and other features that a TV has.                                                                                          

PC graphics has more details, unlike PS2's. The higher the res, the more detail there is. However, this requires a fast PC to perform at such level too...  

Obviously PC has new technologies like FSAA, and other stuffs too. But all these requires money too. Thus, nothing is ever perfect, there is surely a con of something.

Just my point of view.   :)

vvalentine

• View Profile
No FFXPC (maybe) ....
« Reply #91 on: 2002-01-10 19:30:00 »
Chibimaruko:  I have played FF8 in PC, and I think the graphics weren't that good as on the Playstation.  Still I wanted to play the game, even if the story wasn't so good.  I still play the old Nintendo Final Fantasies.  They have the worst graphics of all the FF games, and I am still hooked on the games.  My laptop is capable of playing Playstation games and N64 games with good graphics.  I wouldn't mind FFX to be done with not so great graphics.
Computers right now are increasing their power.  I wouldn't be surprised that by the time SquareSoft comes with an FFX for PC (if such thing happens) the graphics in a PC could be even better than the PS2.
If I was to buy a PC instead of a PS2.  I would prefer to buy the PC because I could do so many other stuff with it than I would with a PS2.  Just think about this, N64, Playstation, SuperNintendo, NES, MAME, Neo-Geo, and many other consoles and games.  Plus you can use your computer to play movies, hear music, use the Internet, and many other things.  This makes a PC a far better investment than a PS.  

Most people who play the FF series are College students.  A PC is the only tool we have for school, work, and entertainment.  I'm not good in managing money, but I sure know that buying a PlayStation 2 would be a waste for me at the moment.  

-vvalentine
[edited] 213 2002-01-10 20:31

atzn

• View Profile
No FFXPC (maybe) ....
« Reply #92 on: 2002-01-10 19:43:00 »
Yes, I'm an IB student, but I cannot afford a PS2 because I need to get a new TV set as well.....   :cool:

And besides that, I study IT as part of my IB course, thus computer plays really a big role   :D

Apart from that, assignments, homework and Internet research depends heavily on my PC. People might think that getting a fast PC is just for gaming, but IMO, it isn't   :D  

I do Video editing and MPEG presentations , which requires a lot of CPU power.

Thus, I feel PC is the best choice yet.... especially for students..... not only for homework, animations , video encoding, it can be used as a source of entertainment (Don't forget a PC can be a music jukebox as well   :)  ) and obviously gaming.

PurpleSmurf

• View Profile
No FFXPC (maybe) ....
« Reply #93 on: 2002-01-10 19:45:00 »
FFTactic_Boy: 96 inch HDTV + 5.1Dolby Surround + Geforce 3 /w TV out + SB Live! 5.1 /w stero/mono out + DVD-ROM drive + perfect PS2 emu and your set for life :) too bad there's no such thing as a "perfect" emu or even a ps2 emu for that matter :(

vvalentine

• View Profile
No FFXPC (maybe) ....
« Reply #94 on: 2002-01-10 20:11:00 »
Exactly, we depend a lot on computers.  Besides, I'm not home most of the time, and if I am, my roommate would be watching TV (the only TV we have and it's hers).

-vvalentine

Threesixty

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/threesixtyci/
No FFXPC (maybe) ....
« Reply #95 on: 2002-01-11 00:14:00 »
All I can say is this.....

We all know that FF11 is going to be online, it's going to cost a monthly fee, and as far as we know, it has no single player capabilities. If I was someone important inside Square's marketing, my goal would be to get as many people who have an online connection, to buy my game. I can't think of a better way  of getting the boxes to sell, than to package it with FF10...

------------------

The reason I don't buy a console?

Number one reason....They are forcing me to....And I refuse to be forced to do anything.

It symbolizes lazyness....at least with a computer....you can hide behind it :D . Besides....I like having the TV on while I'm playing something. You never know when something good starts showing.

Someone said that computers cost a lot more than a console. Yes, they do. But I already paid for the computer. And I'm only intrested in one game on the PS2. It's like, "hmmm I can spend 280 dollars on a G3, and use it with the games I have already, as well as the newer ones, or I can spend 300 dollars on a new console...and play one or two games off of it....Hmmmmm." (not that you need a G3...the G2's graphics are not low quality, either...and you can find The G2 Pro's  for 120dollars). Now I'm sure that the PS2 will play FFX better than a PC....but I don't really care about quality......I just wan't to experience the game. I wouldn't care if the FMV's stutter a little, or if the graphics look a little fuzzy or jerky. But I just plain refuse to buy a console just to play that one game. I rather gamble with a future emulator or a port. Nothing worst than buying something expensive, then finding out that you had the ability to play it already, if you only waited.

Someone  mentioned emulating F1 2001 Racing on ePSXe?.....isn't that a computer port to the Console? The game is 14 dollars on the PC.

And no, you don't need patches with a console game.....you have to live with the faulty AI, with no chance of it ever, being improved. And no you don't have to worry about booting a Console, you just have to live with the extra loading time during the gameplay (X-box excluded).

Cost of Computer games....wait a while, they always go down....BG2 is now 39.99, it was 54.99, for a very long time....wait a few more months, it will go down even more. This little fact happens to all PC games. Granted some faster than others.....I'm sure Return to Wolfenstein, and Max Pain, will be in the 50's for at least 8 months, maybe more. It depends on the Hype; Max Pain has gotten a lot of that (as well as being ported to the console...and No One Lives Forever....that too is being ported).  Wolfenstein's is questionable....Civ3 may be another one that says, up there.

Anonymous

No FFXPC (maybe) ....
« Reply #96 on: 2002-01-11 02:56:00 »

I have played FF8 in PC, and I think the graphics weren't that good as on the Playstation. Still I wanted to play the game, even if the story wasn't so good. I still play the old Nintendo Final Fantasies. They have the worst graphics of all the FF games, and I am still hooked on the games. My laptop is capable of playing Playstation games and N64 games with good graphics. I wouldn't mind FFX to be done with not so great graphics.

So someone did want FFX to be ported to PC with sacrifice in quality. Without the graphics, I personally thinks that FFX is just about the same as FFVIII, or worse. Did anyone here actually likes FFVIII anyway, one of the worst FF games in history?

The old Nintendo graphics may look ugly at present, but when it's first released, the graphic is one of the best for the NES console. And about the PC issue, if you already have one, will you buy another PC? Don't you think that the next logical step, after having a good enough PC, is to buy a console instead of waiting for a PC port of FFX then goes out to buy or upgrade a new computer, which costs will rougly be just the same (or more) anyway compared with buying a new PS2 console?  I also have a computer, and that's why I buy a PS2 (in fact I have 2 now), because it just a new logical thing to do. If you don't have a computer right now, I understand your point. But if you already have one, why should you want to buy another PC?

And how did you know that most people who are playing FF series are college students anyway? FF series had been around for a decade or so, so a lot of people who are in college 10 years ago AND plays FF games will be working by now.....just my assumption.

Nevertheless, buying a PS2 is pretty worthwhile if you are really a FF series fans because you could be damn sure that SquareSoft will release the game for that platform.

: 96 inch HDTV + 5.1Dolby Surround + Geforce 3 /w TV out + SB Live! 5.1 /w stero/mono out + DVD-ROM drive + perfect PS2 emu and your set for life  too bad there's no such thing as a "perfect" emu or even a ps2 emu for that matter

Well, this option is good too, but as a FF fan, can you wait a very long time for this scenario to happen. Maybe it will be 10 years....

We all know that FF11 is going to be online, it's going to cost a monthly fee, and as far as we know, it has no single player capabilities. If I was someone important inside Square's marketing, my goal would be to get as many people who have an online connection, to buy my game. I can't think of a better way of getting the boxes to sell, than to package it with FF10...

Why should they packaged FFXI with FFX? The PC version will not be released along with the PS2 version anyway, and also the lucky Japanese will get to play them first. Including FFX with FFXI will only add up to the cost, and it will not entice the buyers to buy a subscription service from SquareSoft anyway.

Number one reason....They are forcing me to....And I refuse to be forced to do anything.

If you don't want to buy a console, you have the right to do so. But just remember that SquareSoft (or any companies for the matter) also reserved the right to select whatever platform(s) they want to release their games to (profit factor come to mind). And I don't think playing with console symbolize laziness. For me, it symbolize convienience. Boot the console, insert DVD and the game starts. You are right about buying a console just for one game is a waste of money, but I certainly don't buy a console just for that reason. I have pointed out that I have enjoyed a lot of PS2 games, so buying a PS2 (or 2 in my case) is not a waste. So if you want your view of not being forced to buy a console just for a game being respected, you should also respect SquareSoft decision of not making FFX port to the PC. Why bother writing snail-letters, e-mail or stuff, to press them to make a port? If you really wants to play the game, you should have place more efforts, like saving up for a PS2 than wasting time writing letters, petitions or whatever to Square, because more often than not, it will not succeed. Or maybe you have the patience of waiting 3+ years for decent emulators? At that time, probably FFXII will already come out, and while the the PS2 owners like me is kicking monsters' butt, the ones who are waiting for FFX to be played on emu may still did not get it.

Someone mentioned emulating F1 2001 Racing on ePSXe?.....isn't that a computer port to the Console? The game is 14 dollars on the PC.

A tyre is supposed to be round, not polygon. A computer port is available, but the graphic is ridiculous I don't even want to play PC version if I can get my hands on a PS2. Also, the cost of console games can also decrease. Now you can buy FFVII, FFVIII at a lesser price then what it was when they are first released.

cHiBiMaRuKo

• View Profile
No FFXPC (maybe) ....
« Reply #97 on: 2002-01-11 02:58:00 »
The anonymous bug now hits me   :P

vvalentine

• View Profile
No FFXPC (maybe) ....
« Reply #98 on: 2002-01-11 07:58:00 »
Mmhhh?  You're not a Squaresoft employee, are you, Chibimaruko?
(j/k)

Chibi:  *Sigh* I hope I'm not rude at what I say, but you seem to be someone who comforms very easily.  If you got the money to buy a PS2 good for you.

When you said that why buy another PC instead of a console.  Here is my answer:  

I have a Notebook computer, a 386 PC, and soon a 200 Mhz PC.
Plus my brother's PC.  And even if I have 4 computers at the moment, I would want to buy another one instead of a console.  I don't know what you do with your PC, but I use my PCs to the fullest capacity.  I mean, I use my brother's PC for CD burning (I don't use his PC much, simply because it's his).  My old 386 PC, I use it to experiment with older OSs and mess with the hardware.  The 200 Mhz PC, I use it to test viruses, trojans, and many other programs that are capable of messing your computer (I called this PC "GroundZero").  My laptop is the one that does a lot of work.  I use it to rip DVDs, convert media files, Internet, games, programming, word processing, etc.  I need another computer that would do heavy duty stuff, to do upgrades on it, and that would work as a server.  I'm planning on getting DSL soon (when I get a decent job), and I want to make my own network.  The more PCs the merrier.   *Note:  DSL is a real reason to save money.

Whew, that was a long answer.

A PS2, like I said, would be a waste if I bought it, because I wouldn't buy any more games for it nor rent.  A really bad investment.  On the other hand, a PC would be a great investment because of its limitless capabilities.

About the college students thing.  Most of my friends I grew up with are goind to college.  Even though I started playing FF at a late age, my friends played it when FF2 was released.  I assume that a lot of people around my age (GenXers) are still going to college, and that the long time followers of FF are these kind of people.  As for the people that were in college 10 years ago, I bet you that a lot of them don't play video games anymore.  One thing I should have said, though, is that it was just an assumption.  There is not proof that this is true.

About Squaresoft reserving their right to select the console.  It is their right, I know, but it's not the first time they do PC games.  What I mean is, they released FFVII and FFVIII for PC.  Now we're hooked.  They had a contract with Nintendo, and now they don't.  They have a contract with Sony right now, but what about the PC.   FFVII and FFVIII were in demand, so they did PC versions.  FFX is in demand, why can't they do a PC version.  The thing here is not about rights, it's about demand, from the PC user community.

Let me ask you something.  What is your age?  Do you live with your parents?  How do you earn your money?  Do you go to school?  What are you studying?
Please respond to these questions.
And my apologies if these comments offend you.

-vvalentine

[edited] 213 2002-01-11 09:02

Joey

• View Profile
No FFXPC (maybe) ....
« Reply #99 on: 2002-01-11 08:29:00 »
Looks like Square is really not releasing FFX for PC. Sigh..

vvalentine: Roomate? She? You a guy or a girl?