Author Topic: [PSX/PC] KERNEL.BIN editor - WallMarket (v1.4.5)  (Read 713583 times)

Gemini

• Not learner's Guru
    • View Profile
    • Devil Hackers
Re: Wall Market, FFVII KERNEL.BIN editor
« Reply #725 on: 2010-07-14 13:28:53 »
What WallMarket calls as "Dual" is actually the dummy status Ref-Absorb. Afaik, it was never really implemented and makes abolutely no change in battle, even thought it does appear next to the current HP in non-Occidental versions. Anyway, the status screen skips it, so it's safe to assume it does absolutely nothing.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #726 on: 2010-07-14 13:59:00 »
I tried to add the Dual status to my Poison materia, so that combined with Added-Effect, it would make the character immune to Dual. But alas, it doesn't work. A few seconds after being hit by a Dual-inducing attack, the game crashes. I think this is because in the Materia tab, only the Dual box is present - not Dual Drain.

Is it possible to add the Dual Drain box to the materia tab, or is it impossible due to how materia statuses work ?

I believe that Dual *is* actually used by bottomswell, though I've also heard it said that Waterpolo deals its damage by other means instead. At any rate, both statuses need to be active simultaneously, and you can't inflict two statuses with the same weapon attack. AI can't read the scope of memory needed to do some trick to pretend it's being implemented, either. And even you could assign multiple statuses to the same weapon, the statuses are inflicted with a 1/6 chance separately, leaving you a 1/36 chance of seizure, an 24/36 chance of nothing happening and an 11/6 chance of a crash.
« Last Edit: 2011-03-16 21:40:04 by Bosola »

Armorvil

• Working on : FFVII Total Grudge
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: 2010-07-14 14:50:59 »
You were told that Dual without DualDrain (and vice versa) causes a crash, but you carried on regardless?

Since only one Dual box is present in the materia tab, I thought that maybe the two statuses were "inside". I had to check. And besides, I wasn't told anything regarding Dual. I found out by myself way back when.

And I don't like the way you said that, by the way. Is taking people for fools a habit of yours ?

I believe that Dual *is* actually used by bottomswell, though I've also heard it said that Waterpolo deals its damage by other means instead. At any rate, both statuses need to be active simultaneously, and you can't inflict two statuses with the same weapon attack. AI can't read the scope of memory needed to do some trick to pretend it's being implemented, either. And even you could assign multiple statuses to the same weapon, the statuses are inflicted with a 1/6 chance separately, leaving you a 1/36 chance of seizure, an 24/36 chance of nothing happening and an 11/6 chance of a crash.

Interesting info. Most of it I already knew, though. My question is if a Dual Drain box could be added to the materia tab. But thanks anyway.
« Last Edit: 2010-07-14 14:59:51 by Armorvil »

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #728 on: 2010-07-14 17:40:29 »

And I don't like the way you said that, by the way. Is taking people for fools a habit of yours ?

Let me be upfront. Most people asking for help here usually haven't even bothered checking the help files, haven't looked at the program release thread and wouldn't dream of touching the search function. They spam the forums with questions they could have searched for, demand your immediate attention and then act like you're out of line for berating them, even when you are freely giving them your time and knowledge. Do you realize how irritating that gets eventually?

Ever released a program, given explicit instructions not to do something, then had a barrage of emails from people who did precisely what you told them not to? Ever laid out a help file with stacks of details, then been harassed by people who didn't bother checking the document you put together for *their* benefit? Likewise. I've nothing against you, but if you'd have just searched for 'Dual Drain', you'd have had your answer in a snap.

NFITC1 mentions Dual and Dualdrain in both the PC and WM help files. If you have the one without the other, the game will seem to 'run', but characters and monsters won't perform actions. You won't get a data error.

Now, could we make materia inflict Dualdrain anyway? Probably, but the problems outlined above would still be an issue, unless you gave a party member an AI script that reacted to each move by inflicting DualDrain on those with Dual. You'd need to give it to all party members, though, otherwise you might end up inflicting Dual when there's no character 'alive' who can 'compound' it with DualDrain.
« Last Edit: 2010-07-14 17:54:11 by Bosola »

Armorvil

• View Profile
« Reply #729 on: 2010-07-14 18:32:57 »
I've nothing against you, but if you'd have just searched for 'Dual Drain', you'd have had your answer in a snap.

This is exactly what I'm saying. You're taking people for fools. Just open WallMarket's help file and see for yourself. It only mentions what I already said. Heck, I was even the one who told NFITC1, a while ago, that both must be checked for the status to work.

Besides, you're wrong. All my Dual Drain attacks work perfectly in my mod. When an ally or an enemy is poisoned, (s)he / it gets this status too. 100% of the time.

Now if you'd let those who know what they're talking about (and who don't use misplaced condescension) reply, then that would make me happy.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #730 on: 2010-07-14 18:38:57 »
I'm sorry I was curt. But I'm sure you can see where I'm coming from: all the time, people keep asking questions they don't need to ask. It gets annoying after a while.

I wasn't aware you'd done your own research; if so, that's really good. As I said, I don't have an issue with you per se. But on a lot of forums, I keep running into people who don't do the research, don't try and search, and don't really appreciate the effort you put in to answer. It gets me down.

Armorvil

• View Profile
« Reply #731 on: 2010-07-14 18:41:25 »
No problem, I understand. I still appreciate that you tried to help and shared info. Not everyone do that.
« Last Edit: 2010-07-14 19:00:25 by Armorvil »

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #732 on: 2010-07-14 18:43:25 »
No, there is a problem. I shouldn't have approached you like a newb demanding OMG WHAR IS CRYSES CROE MODELS AN HOW DU I INSTAL???

As a token, I'll let you in on how Shatter works via PM. You'll kick yourself.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #733 on: 2010-07-14 19:27:35 »
As most people asking for help here usually haven't even bothered checking the help files, I've learned to make treating people like idiots the rule rather than the exception. Welcome to the internet.

Ever released a program, given explicit instructions not to do something, then had a barrage of emails from people who did precisely what you told them not to? Ever laid out a help file with stacks of details, then been harassed by people who didn't bother checking the document you put together for *their* benefit? It really gets on your ***s after a while.

I pray for the day when I have to stop thinking like this. :/

NFITC1 mentions Dual and Dualdrain in both the PC and WM help files. If you have the one without the other, the game will seem to 'run', but characters and monsters won't perform actions. You won't get a data error.

Now, could we make materia inflict Dualdrain anyway? Probably, but the problems outlined above would still be an issue, unless you gave a party member an AI script that reacted to each move by inflicting DualDrain on those with Dual. You'd need to give it to all party members, though, otherwise you might end up inflicting Dual when there's no character 'alive' who can 'compound' it with DualDrain.

Dual without Dualdrain will crash, Dualdrain without dual will not crash. I'm not sure why this is and I frankly don't care. I just know you shouldn't have one without the other.

No, materia will not be able to add both these effects to weapons or armors nor do we want to. Materia can only affect the first 24 statuses anyway. Dual drain is the 28th.
Dual is a VERY specific status effect. It won't work well outside of Bottomswell's battle. Nothing's immune to it including the Weapons and the final bosses. Dual stops the inflicted as well as slowly drains them. Without a way to remove that status (and nothing does) that immediately makes every battle broken.

Armorvil

• View Profile
« Reply #734 on: 2010-07-14 21:00:28 »
Dual without Dualdrain will crash, Dualdrain without dual will not crash. I'm not sure why this is and I frankly don't care. I just know you shouldn't have one without the other.

Yeah, I know ;)

No, materia will not be able to add both these effects to weapons or armors nor do we want to. Materia can only affect the first 24 statuses anyway. Dual drain is the 28th.

Oh, bummer :(

Dual is a VERY specific status effect. It won't work well outside of Bottomswell's battle.

It does work well, actually. If you add Dual and Dual Drain to a magic spell (as I did with the Bio spells), or to an enemy ability, it will work as well as any other status. I know it sounds odd, but the spell never inflicts one Dual and not the other one. Either both of them are triggered (or in the case of Bio, the three of them), or none. And since it's all or nothing, the game can't crash. At least it never crashed on me. Who knows, maybe I'm the luckiest man on Earth. Because, believe me, I tested it a lot.

Nothing's immune to it including the Weapons and the final bosses.

Something that can easily be fixed thanks to Hojo ;)

Dual stops the inflicted as well as slowly drains them. Without a way to remove that status (and nothing does) that immediately makes every battle broken.

It doesn't stop the inflicted. The character / enemy only experiences a reverse Regen effect, until he's cured (I made so Esuna and Remedies can cure it - very easy to do with Wall Market), or until he dies.

Anyways, now I have my answer - thanks NFITC1 : I can't have a Poison materia which, combined with Added-Affect, could have guarded against the effect. Oh well, at least my Star Pendant-like accessory will still block it.
« Last Edit: 2010-07-14 21:23:48 by Armorvil »

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #735 on: 2010-07-14 21:53:01 »
I didn't say it wouldn't work at all, just not "well". If you want it to work there are plenty of things you can do to make it workable, that just takes a lot of steps (setting enemy immunities, a way to cure it, etc).

No it doesn't stop the target. I thought that was handled by the status, but it isn't. The character is flagged as dead even though their HP is not 0. Because of that, that character's time bar doesn't change.
It is also NOT what is used in Bottomswell's battle. That's apparently Imprisoned as well. I don't know where Dual comes into play. It doesn't look like anything does it...

wcsc12

Re: [Release v1.4.0] WallMarket KERNEL.BIN editor
« Reply #736 on: 2010-08-13 22:28:07 »
Hi,

I have a question about the usage of this program. What's the best way to edit the kernel. I've got PowerISO and I used it to extract the Kernel.Bin file and then put it back into the ISO but now the game won't run at all. Is there a better way to do it?

Also, thank you for this :D I have been looking for something like this for some time. Although, all I really plan on doing is editing some of the weapons and armors, it's good to see this.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #737 on: 2010-08-13 23:41:45 »
Don't use power ISO. It'll totally corrupt the ISO (most apps like that try and restore a PC-CD filesystem etc.).

Use CDMage BETA instead.

Or, Gemini has some translation tools that'll do it. I looked at his sourcecode, it looks as though he uses some 'generic' gnu ISO handling lib to do the reinsertion, so I guess it wouldn't be out of the question to produce another, similar program, that didn't rely on Visual C.

wcsc12

« Reply #738 on: 2010-08-14 00:23:10 »
Don't use power ISO. It'll totally corrupt the ISO (most apps like that try and restore a PC-CD filesystem etc.).

Use CDMage BETA instead.

Or, Gemini has some translation tools that'll do it. I looked at his sourcecode, it looks as though he uses some 'generic' gnu ISO handling lib to do the reinsertion, so I guess it wouldn't be out of the question to produce another, similar program, that didn't rely on Visual C.

Thank you :D

ludokreshx

• View Profile
« Reply #739 on: 2010-09-12 20:48:47 »
just a suggestion, its totally optional (obviously), but on the initial data/character data menu, where you can change the materia that the characters begin with upon meeting them in the game, the box where you can type in how much AP has been applied to the materia, you are forced to save the change in order for it to stick. The suggestion is that you could maybe add some kind of confirm botton to that part of the menu incase there are changes a user isnt sure they want to SAVE into the kernel yet that they did, but they are sure about the ammount of AP they want in that materia in that menu. Maybe you've already seen that but incase you havent just wanted to throw that out there.

But anyways this program is epic i've completely overhauled my game for the sake of battle.
(Potion+, Hi-Potion+, Mega-Potion, Megaphoenix, Phoenix Pinion, Remedy+, Water(materia) added)
(Hi-Ether, Typhoon-->Chupon, Fire, Ice(Blizzard), Bolt(Thunder), Ultima-->Merton, Distruct, Elixer/Megilixer, Attack-->Fight, 4xCut-->X-Fight, Summon-->Esper, E.Skill-->BluMag, W.Mag-Dbl.Mag, W.Sum-->Dbl.Esp, W.Item-->Dbl.Item, Contain-->Water (i changed the attacks on all for attacks and changed it to a water attack in both function and appearance)

and last (with help from Kimera) I changed a lot of clouds weapons. I plan to make a patch out of all the changes i made using Wallmarket and Kimera, so i'd like to thank you for your hard work on this program ^_^ it's awesome.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: 2010-09-17 20:36:50 »
Well this bug still exists and it isn't going anywhere.  I wonder if it is just me who has this bug?  I am not so sure.

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B1JH_wU1qqN4N2FmZjBjY2QtZGExZS00YTQxLWE3ZmUtMDJhZmU5NTA1YTA3&sort=name&layout=list&num=50

This was before I saved.

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B1JH_wU1qqN4ZDYyMmNmODMtMDVkMy00YmFmLWIwMzUtZjg5MjcwOWFkZDU4&sort=name&layout=list&num=50

This was after.  Notice that certain characters have become spaces again.  Like "Toy Box" becoming "To Box" in both places, same with "To  oldier".  I still can't be certain that it happened on loading or saving but I feel pretty sure it happens on saving.  Something is wrong here.

edit:  And there is a pattern.  It seems to happen around similar words or letters.  For example "1:35 Soldier"  has become "1:35  oldier"

edit 2:

I cannot get "Snake Spe  Javelin"  to return to "Snake Spear"  Every time I save and reload it is back as that again
« Last Edit: 2010-09-17 21:46:40 by DLPB »

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #741 on: 2010-09-18 11:19:43 »
Well this bug still exists and it isn't going anywhere.  I wonder if it is just me who has this bug?  I am not so sure.

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B1JH_wU1qqN4N2FmZjBjY2QtZGExZS00YTQxLWE3ZmUtMDJhZmU5NTA1YTA3&sort=name&layout=list&num=50

This was before I saved.

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B1JH_wU1qqN4ZDYyMmNmODMtMDVkMy00YmFmLWIwMzUtZjg5MjcwOWFkZDU4&sort=name&layout=list&num=50

This was after.  Notice that certain characters have become spaces again.  Like "Toy Box" becoming "To Box" in both places, same with "To  oldier".  I still can't be certain that it happened on loading or saving but I feel pretty sure it happens on saving.  Something is wrong here.

edit:  And there is a pattern.  It seems to happen around similar words or letters.  For example "1:35 Soldier"  has become "1:35  oldier"

edit 2:

I cannot get "Snake Spe  Javelin"  to return to "Snake Spear"  Every time I save and reload it is back as that again

I have the same problem, except that I can just fix the text and it carries over. I only recreate the kernel2.bin though. ( had the problem with some key items and accessoires )

Another weird text-related wallmarket problem I encountered is that if I change ANY summoning name ( in-battle text, whats displayed when using the summon ) and save that, Ultimate End will turn into nothing and when using KoTR, it displays no summon name at all, despite showing all others just fine ( regardless of whether they are changed or not )

I couldnt find this in the helpfile, but since we have a hp/mp limit patch ( I assume this also means we CAN reach 10000+ HP by gaining levels and a corresponding growth curve )  does that include the limit of 100 for stats or is that still hardcoded in the engine? ( because it makes curve editing kinda pointless )

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #742 on: 2010-09-19 00:19:19 »

This was before I saved.

edit 2:

I have the same problem, except that I can just fix the text and it carries over. I only recreate the kernel2.bin though. ( had the problem with some key items and accessoires )

Another weird text-related wallmarket problem I encountered is that if I change ANY summoning name ( in-battle text, whats displayed when using the summon ) and save that, Ultimate End will turn into nothing and when using KoTR, it displays no summon name at all, despite showing all others just fine ( regardless of whether they are changed or not )

I've never run into any problems with the texts. Granted, I didn't test everything in-game, but if they open in WM they ought to work fine in FF7.

I couldnt find this in the helpfile, but since we have a hp/mp limit patch ( I assume this also means we CAN reach 10000+ HP by gaining levels and a corresponding growth curve )  does that include the limit of 100 for stats or is that still hardcoded in the engine? ( because it makes curve editing kinda pointless )

That's not included in the break HP limit patch. The reason I allow you to change the limit on the growth curves is that it's just as easy to change the stat limiter. I believe that's only in one place anyway. I thought I provided info on that at one point. I'll need to go back and look through my addresses list.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: 2010-09-19 01:43:52 »
I am guessing it happens when large amounts of text are edited or certain types or patterns.  I've edited the whole lot virtually for this project.

Download the "after" link and see if you can make the text I mentioned update by changing it from "Snake Spe  Javelin"  to "Snake Spear" etc.  On mine, it won't even save the new data.

They do work in FF7, but what you see in WM is what you see in FF7.  So I am seeing "To Box" for example.  There is definitely a serious bug here.
« Last Edit: 2010-09-19 01:45:53 by DLPB »

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #744 on: 2010-09-19 13:02:34 »
Did you make sure you save both Kernel 1 and 2? I had the same problem before, but once I made sure that I saved both Kernels, it worked.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: 2010-09-19 16:54:51 »
Yup, although that shouldn't matter since the text is only contained inside kernel2.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #746 on: 2010-09-19 23:08:52 »
The following part from the helpfiles of wallmarket is confusion
Starting Items
[cut]
NOTE: THIS IS CURRENTLY THE ONLY WAY TO ADD NEW ITEMS TO THE GAME USING WALLMARKET. There are 23 Dummy items that can be edited without affecting the game (untested).

So, does this mean SPECIFICALLY using ONLY wallmarket? Because it's entirely possible to make shops sell those 'new' items with WhiteChocobo ( sadly, Hojo does not allow for enemies to drop the extra items, so yeah )

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #747 on: 2010-09-22 14:03:27 »
The following part from the helpfiles of wallmarket is confusion
Starting Items
[cut]
NOTE: THIS IS CURRENTLY THE ONLY WAY TO ADD NEW ITEMS TO THE GAME USING WALLMARKET. There are 23 Dummy items that can be edited without affecting the game (untested).

So, does this mean SPECIFICALLY using ONLY wallmarket? Because it's entirely possible to make shops sell those 'new' items with WhiteChocobo ( sadly, Hojo does not allow for enemies to drop the extra items, so yeah )

That's the only way Wallmarket can add items. If the sentence read: "NOTE: THIS IS CURRENTLY THE ONLY WAY TO ADD NEW ITEMS TO THE GAME; USING WALLMARKET." that would mean that WallMarket was the only program that could add new items. But that's not the way it's written because there are other ways to add items. I wrote that because that's currently the only way that WallMarket can add items to the game.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #748 on: 2010-09-22 17:34:53 »

I've never run into any problems with the texts. Granted, I didn't test everything in-game, but if they open in WM they ought to work fine in FF7.

That's not included in the break HP limit patch. The reason I allow you to change the limit on the growth curves is that it's just as easy to change the stat limiter. I believe that's only in one place anyway. I thought I provided info on that at one point. I'll need to go back and look through my addresses list.

Forgot to reply to this.
I actually took a 'new' kernel2.bin and applied all the changes bit by bit again. Might be a faulty save at some point ( or accidentily using 'continue' when encountering an error ) but now there is no problem with either letters disappearing or summoning names being displayed at all.

Also, explaining how to change the growth-stat limit would be much appreciated since changing the curves to go beyond 100 makes really little sense without also lifting the 100 limit.

Gemini

• Not learner's Guru
    • View Profile
    • Devil Hackers
« Reply #749 on: 2010-09-22 18:38:20 »
GNU ISO handling lib? I have no idea what you're even talking about. There's isn't a single piece of GNU code in my libraries.