Author Topic: FF8 Patch for FF7 & Seifer/GFs Patches  (Read 29525 times)

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
FF8 Patch for FF7 & Seifer/GFs Patches
« on: 2010-12-23 18:23:43 »
Hi!
I'm starting a new project, a mod for FF7. This mod consist in replacing the characters of FF7 by the ones of FF8. It's like that :

Cloud > Squall
Barret > Laguna
Tifa > Zell
Aerith > Selphie
Nanaki > Angelo
Yuffie > Rinoa
Caith Sith > Moomba
Vincent > Irvine
Cid > Ward
Sephiroth > Seifer
Young Cloud > Squall in flashbacks

EDIT : Enemies :
MP > Galbadian
Grunt > Elite-T
Ideas?

So, with enough luck and help... no, I mean more than enough, a lot. The Alpha version may be ready for end January. Screens will come ASAP. If some of you folks who knows a lot about modding, if you can help me in converting and changing things out of FF7/FF8, it would me helpful. You can tell me if you want some of the characters being replaced by other ones, I could do it.

Oh, sorry for my English, it's still my second language, after French.

Pour tous ceux qui parlent le français, voici le topic équivalent en français (Note : FFFF = Vgr255) : http://ff7.fr/forum/index.php?page=post&ids=205466&pg=0#205468
« Last Edit: 2011-01-29 17:42:00 by Vgr255 »

ZL325

• View Profile
Re: FF8 Patch for FF7
« Reply #1 on: 2010-12-23 18:50:53 »
ripping from other games is illegal here, but i do believe if you make custom characters for it they may not mind i don't know exactly though you would have to ask them i guess....

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010-12-23 18:54:00 »
I know ripping things from other games is illegal, but I ask here and can post pictures as long as I don't post my mod here. I will post it on my other topic on FF7.FR and you just have to go there. Also, just PM for small things like that ;)

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010-12-23 19:00:39 »
Hum, ok, then I just ask you to help me importing these damn files from the decompiled FF8 files from the Data folder. If I know how to do that, I may not post at all anymore here.

EDIT : Is there a program which can view all of FF8's textures? It's the only way for me to replace the files in FF7.
« Last Edit: 2010-12-23 19:21:42 by Vgr255 »

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010-12-23 21:35:46 »
3) Also, the discussion of reinsertion of custom game models/backgrounds are going to be strongly curtailed.
It will not be banned, but if your mod requires taking from other things not yours, you may be asked to cut it out. For now, I'm allowing the cosmetic upgrade of existing assets, for example, resolution, and texture updates. Also the recreation of higher resolution art/models are getting a pass.

I believe your mod will break this rule. So I politely ask you to 'cut it out.' If you wish to continue this mod please do so on the other forum you linked to.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #5 on: 2010-12-24 00:21:59 »
General question:
Can you take the basic bone structure and whatever from ff8 models, modify them and re-texture them? It's essentially skipping the part of just looking at the ff8 model, and redoing it the same way it is in ff8 yourself. the difference would be minuscule. Is that also breaking the rules?

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010-12-24 01:35:05 »
You could modify the ff7 bones to look like the ff8 ones. And create new models and texture them and then insert them into the game.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #7 on: 2010-12-24 05:09:44 »
That doesn't answer my question of using the existing ff8 models as 'basis' to re-texture/create new ones

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010-12-24 10:53:26 »
Actually it does. You can use whatever you want as a reference from ff8, but you may not use any files from ff8 itself. Whole or in part.

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2010-12-24 12:10:44 »
Back in the day, I remember I made some models for FF7 that looked like the FF8 Characters. I used parts that were already in FF7 to do it. I finished Rinoa (Tifa), Quistis (Aeris) and Selphie (Yuffie).

I wonder if I still have them somewhere, or if they suffered the fate of my Crisis Core stuff :/

...I've done waaay to much with FF7 :P

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #10 on: 2010-12-25 01:17:48 »
Actually it does. You can use whatever you want as a reference from ff8, but you may not use any files from ff8 itself. Whole or in part.

How would you even go about proving it's copied and not self-created if someone just looks at the ff8 models and recreates them for ff7
He would by all means re-create them exactly like they are in ff8, with or without copying stuff. am I not right?

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2010-12-25 02:06:32 »

How would you even go about proving it's copied and not self-created if someone just looks at the ff8 models and recreates them for ff7
He would by all means re-create them exactly like they are in ff8, with or without copying stuff. am I not right?

Are you being intentionally difficult? Suffice to say if I cannot figure out if parts have been copied (unlikely) there are many other members on this forum that are much better then me at that sort of thing. One of them being halkun, who wrote that rule.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #12 on: 2010-12-25 04:46:53 »
No, I'm not being intentionally difficult, it's just that re-creating models of another game in a way that it makes it near impossible to prove if it was re-created in the same image or simply copied sounds like a grey zone with the current rules. And I was not refering to you in particular in that earlier post. Even haikun is not all-seeing
For example, to look at the ff8 model at one screen and point by point recreate them on another would result in something that looks like an exact copy yet it is not if you actually created it yourself. Thats what I was asking.

Vehek

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2010-12-25 05:06:46 »
For example, to look at the ff8 model at one screen and point by point recreate them on another would result in something that looks like an exact copy yet it is not if you actually created it yourself. Thats what I was asking.
Well, apz was accused of stealing for his model because part of the texture was clearly taken from Dissidia or something like that. I suppose if by looking at the data and texture that one can tell it wasn't created by a converter, then it's OK.

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2010-12-25 13:45:19 »
Making a model with textures and meshes that look like the original will not look anything like them when broken down and looked at using different tools. UV Maps will be different, textures will be different. Polys will be off in size. Not to mention if someone was to remake the ff8 chars, why would they not use higher resolution textures?

ZL325

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2010-12-26 00:44:17 »
Not to mention if someone was to remake the ff8 chars, why would they not use higher resolution textures?

i was thinking of doing that as practice for my modeling and texturing haha planning on making a gunblade to start off easy since the textures wouldn't be as hard to make rather than a model of a character such as squall.

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2010-12-28 14:44:14 »
Yo everybody, my project cannot go any further because I don't find a program which can view/convert .mch files, which are the characters' textures. If I could do it, my project can advance. If I couldn't, then it's stopped. I also came with a new idea. For you who played FF7 and modded it, you should remember that there's a patch to make Sephiroth instead of Cloud and Vice-Versa, so I could do it... for Squall and Seifer. I also plan on making new GFs or, at least, new skins :P From now on, I think that I don't rip models from other games, as if I ask for a program or another, it can be for that FF8 project :P If you don't understand me, then it's normal, I never know how to explain some things :P

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
Re: FF8 Patch for FF7 & Seifer/GFs Patches
« Reply #17 on: 2010-12-28 18:21:26 »
Sorry double-posting, but thanks to ZL325 for the PM, but this doesn't work for the mch files. I did :
- Search across the net to find a good program
- Read all 139 pages of the project forum to find something valuable.

I finally came to that conclusion : If someone (a programmer, of course...) could take RINOA's source code and make another program to view/extract/convert mch files, I would be really glad. This is the only thing that I don't have and need to mod FF8. As soon as someone do it, I would be able to mod FF8 ALOT. But for now, it isn't the case...

Vehek

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2010-12-28 21:03:33 »
I finally came to that conclusion : If someone (a programmer, of course...) could take RINOA's source code and make another program to view/extract/convert mch files, I would be really glad.
Koral never released the source code for RINOA, so that's not possible. Any program for that will have to be coded from scratch.

Also, I think you searched through the wrong forum. Most research on model formats goes on in the Tech-Related Discussion forum. Where did you think the information used to make such programs came from?

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2010-12-28 21:08:33 »
Also, I think you searched through the wrong forum. Most research on model formats goes on in the Tech-Related Discussion forum. Where did you think the information used to make such programs came from?

Hum yeah. You're right. I'm gonna do it right now. Thanks all for your support ;)

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2010-12-30 01:07:55 »
Yo! I manage it! I was able to extract all 5243 textures of FF8. Now, I can start a good mod which involves in switching Squall and Seifer. If you have requests about that, just ask, it would be easy for me :-P Oh yeah, here are the textures :

Yeah you can't just post links to copyrighted property.  Warned
« Last Edit: 2011-01-05 23:22:42 by Vgr255 »

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2011-01-01 23:18:18 »
Then, from now on, I know exactly what I have to do and approximately how much time it will last. Alone, maybe it will last for more than a constant month of work :P I mean 1 month where I never sleep, eat, go to bathroom and never do anything else but that. Annoying and very long. With two other persons, it could be 1 month of smooth work (approximately 4-5 hours per day). So, as you could understand, I'm asking for help. Yes, I want everybody here who are interested in my project to contact me by PM or at [email protected] by email or by Messenger. Oh, and yeah, this project is in fact to switch Squall and Seifer so Seifer will be our main party member and Squall will be a boss we face 4 time within the game. Just the FMVs with Seifer and Squall can't be modified. It will be the Alpha (or Beta if good work is made) version until the dialogs are changed (I own a French version :P ) and a few other things. The next project after that will be to switch some of the GFs with the characters. Hard, but barely doable... just very long :P

Oh, yeah, I told two persons are good, but there isn't any limits, hey. You don't have to speak French, but if you do, it'll be great. I think I'll speak English better than you French if it isn't your primary language.

EDIT : Damn three successive posts >_<

Vehek

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2011-01-05 19:42:21 »
How are you planning to do this Squall/Seifer mod? Do you actually know anything about modifying the models? Have you checked how plausible it is?

I think that the differences in bone-structures will either cause Seifer's coat to look awkward or require its removal.

:-)

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2011-01-05 19:53:35 »
Oh, that? This mod is almost finished :) I just replace Squall's and Seifer's models and textures. The only prob is that I'm not able to modify Squall's battle data in Ifrit. Any help Gjoerulv? And of course, the only thing that is missing is Squall's model for the third fight (AKA Fight with both Seifer and Edea) because Squall doesn't have this model for him, I have to force him into. Also, I cant put the SeeD uniform on Seifer (the one we take at Dollet as example). And so far on, Ive been waiting for an answer from one of my friends. I'm working these days on putting FF8 Char's models into FF7. Models done, texture's missing. May I post screen anyways also if the chars are only blank? It's all up to you... I will be able to release Seifer's patch in something about 1 month or less if everything's good. Let me know some things you would like to see :)

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2011-01-06 00:07:08 »
How are you planning to do this Squall/Seifer mod? Do you actually know anything about modifying the models? Have you checked how plausible it is?

I think that the differences in bone-structures will either cause Seifer's coat to look awkward or require its removal.

:-)

You wanna tell us something about that picture? :P