Author Topic: Anime = Ranma 1/2  (Read 20862 times)

Nori

• View Profile
sHELL-san
« Reply #25 on: 2002-07-29 22:09:50 »
sHELL-san, sugoi avatar desune! ara, Mamimi-chan desuyo ^^
Anyways, Hyper Police is sure sweet memory ^__^
My first anime was Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (Kaze no Tani no Naushika)... sigh...

sHELL

• View Profile
Anime = Ranma 1/2
« Reply #26 on: 2002-07-29 22:22:53 »
arigatougozaimasu  (^-^)

Got more on my site http://www.sh0ck.tmfweb.nl/sdv.html enjoy

Sephiroth 3D

• View Profile
    • ModCitizen 42
Anime = Ranma 1/2
« Reply #27 on: 2002-07-29 23:54:17 »
You know... having all these japanese-speaking people around is definatly going to improve my ability to understand it.

sHELL: ... Nice image... what is it/what is it from? It looks 3D to me...

Sephiroth 3D

"I don't understand..." "You don't have to understand." - Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within

Sephiroth 3D.com
[email protected]

sHELL

• View Profile
Anime = Ranma 1/2
« Reply #28 on: 2002-07-30 00:08:41 »
understand it? *snickers* I hardely understand it... just the standard words. Anyway... So You Want To Learn Japanese.

my avatar is from the anime title FLCL (Furi Kuri) and don't thinkt there is much 3d rendering done with it... But it looks 3d because its drawn that way. If you think "whaa, I gonna watch that title" be prepared for some strange stuff, forget titles like pokemon or dragonball, sit back have a bear and laugh your head off. By the way, FLCL will be release on DVD in the USA somewhere this summer.

Nori

• View Profile
TEE TEE ^^
« Reply #29 on: 2002-07-30 00:23:05 »
Sephiroth 3D-san, how are ya?
I will answer it! sHELL's avatar, is from an anime called FLCL (Fooly Kooly or Furi Kuri)... Her name is Mamimi ("Never Knows Best")!!! Well, for more informaton visit http://www.gainax.co.jp/flcl/

Ara..., sHELL already answered it ><;

sHELL

• View Profile
Anime = Ranma 1/2
« Reply #30 on: 2002-07-30 00:38:49 »
nayoung-chan, you expect him to be able to read japanese?

Try this, it got english to explain the story a bit.

J*** H*******

Anime = Ranma 1/2
« Reply #31 on: 2002-07-30 01:09:24 »
sHELL, about your avatar... It's very nice (well, it's from FLCL, how could it not be nice?), but it's bit large. Quite huge actually. In filesize I mean, it's about 74 KB's, when most static avatars are under 10, often just few kilobytes.

I know that there are no size limits mentioned in the rules (or are there?), but it's bit heavy for modem folks. Could you make it smaller? Use a static one? Please?

EDIT: Oh, writing is so difficuld. Eye halve a spelling chequer, and so on.

Sephiroth 3D

• View Profile
    • ModCitizen 42
Anime = Ranma 1/2
« Reply #32 on: 2002-07-30 01:10:50 »
sHELL: :evil: Don't be mean... We have to give her time to the ways of Qhimm's Forums. You could learn a thing or two too...

Oh, and thanks for the link.

nayoung-san: He has a point. I can't read japanese very well... It'll take a while, but you'll eventually get used to posting (mostly) english links in here.

Jari: Actually, we do. 128 in width, and any reasonable height. (Anything larger than 128x256 would be pushing the limits.)

Sephiroth 3D

"I don't understand..." "You don't have to understand." - Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within

Sephiroth 3D.com
[email protected]

sHELL

• View Profile
Anime = Ranma 1/2
« Reply #33 on: 2002-07-30 01:26:18 »
Quote from: Jari Huttunen
sHELL, about your avatar... It's very nice (well, it's from FLCL, how could it not be nice?), but it's bit large. Quite huge actually. In filesize I mean, it's about 74 KB's, when most static avatars are under 10, often just few kilobytes.

I know that there are no size limits mentioned in the rules (or are there?), but it's bit heavy for modem folks. Could you make it smaller? Use a static one? Please?

EDIT: Oh, writing is so difficuld. Eye halve a spelling chequer, and so on.

smaler one, ofcourse (altho your the first one that is complaining about it in almost a year )

sHELL:  Don't be mean... We have to give her time to the ways of Qhimm's Forums. You could learn a thing or two too...

me? meany

J*** H*******

Anime = Ranma 1/2
« Reply #34 on: 2002-07-30 02:27:37 »
Quote from: sHELL
smaler one, ofcourse (altho your the first one that is complaining about it in almost a year )

Connections get faster, so people don't notice (or care about) things like that so often anymore.

Actually I'm more worried about possible worst case scenario, which (although very unlikely) would have people downloading 30 different avatars, each ~70 KB, to view one page. That's a total of bit over 2 megs, 8 and half minutes with modem (doing nothing else at the same time) and even users with pretty fast dsl-lines would notice a small delay.

That's why big avatars are bad.

Anyway, your new one is much better, thank you. :)

eerrrr

• View Profile
Anime = Ranma 1/2
« Reply #35 on: 2002-08-01 10:27:05 »
Just thought I'd give you a little update. :wink:

Today I went back to MVC and exchanged Metropolis for Oh My Goddess. I've watched a bit of the first episode and it seems okay, it's a bit too girly for me though (no offense to girls).

I found the anime section and they had :
Oh My Goddess
Oh My Goddess II
Macross II
Ninja Scroll
Golgo 13
I think they had one or two others, along with the usual (Akira, GiTS).

So what do you think my next purchase should be? OMG 2? Macross 2? It'll be tricky getting Ninja Scroll since it's an 18, but I suppose I could order my sister to do it. :lol:

EDIT: Ohh, just found a pretty cool site. 30 Region 2 anime DVDs, and I think they're all free delivery.
I'd advise any Europe anime fans to check the site out.
http://dvdworld.co.uk/

sHELL

• View Profile
Anime = Ranma 1/2
« Reply #36 on: 2002-08-01 11:39:40 »
I got another store you may find intresting

http://www.up1.co.uk/

The have quite a some anime for sell and the realy are loaded with manga books. (check out Love Hina and Chobits  :love: ) The are also on alot on conventions and meetings.

Nori

• View Profile
Face It (ECCHI ECCHI)
« Reply #37 on: 2002-08-01 12:14:04 »
Ah! My Goddness & Ah! My Goddness Movie: It's lame, because come on let's face it... no girls will be that devoted, unless "she is really mentally ill" I'm very sure; moreover, these anime are based on fantasy!!!!! that's what some guys want in Japan & etc (no offense to guys & etc)...

Also Chobits and Love Hina: Chobits is very different then many others... but I was very offended by that~ well, girls aren't sex objects (ara I like that word) ^^ far more most, Love Hina... I don't remember it 5:1 ratio of 'girls and a guy' (In Japanese culture you will never ever see this)...

Vickrum-san you should request for titles alike: "Macross Plus Movie" ; "Patlabor 1 or 2" wooo I like those!
That would be all for now~

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
Anime = Ranma 1/2
« Reply #38 on: 2002-08-01 12:26:35 »
Heh, true the women in anime are mostly sex/fantasy objects for the men. It's also not real, something I trust (hope, at least) all the viewers know :)

Nori

• View Profile
T__T
« Reply #39 on: 2002-08-01 13:12:11 »
Ninja Scroll is interesting... you should watch it (when your 18)... "just don't watch it, in front of your family members" ^__^  Macross II, is really old (I will pass it)...

The SaiNt

• View Profile
Re: Face It (ECCHI ECCHI)
« Reply #40 on: 2002-08-01 14:02:38 »
Quote from: nayoung
Also Chobits and Love Hina: Chobits is very different then many others... but I was very defended by that~ well, girls aren't sex objects (ara I like that word) ^^ far more most, Love Hina... I don't remember it 5:1 ratio of 'girls and a guy' (In Japanese culture you will never ever see this)...

I presume you mean offended?
The Chobits story doesn't only lie in all the "ecchiness", I find the philsophy and Chii's ignorance more entertaining. :P
BTW, the Love Hina anime was pretty badly done, no story at all.
The manga was far better, though I must emphasize that it wasn't meant for a young audience in mind.

Quote from: Qhimm
Heh, true the women in anime are mostly sex/fantasy objects for the men. It's also not real, something I trust (hope, at least) all the viewers know.

It's not just the women.
I've come across websites that have uhm....Men and Men (forgot the word for it)

Nori

• View Profile
OOOPS Silly Me...
« Reply #41 on: 2002-08-01 16:50:00 »
I presume I forgot to change it during my first edit T_T iiiyyyaaa

It's not just the women.
I've come across websites that have uhm....Men and Men (forgot the word for it)

Suuure... I'm very sure you have ^^... but but if Henti was supporting the safe-sex method(s) ne ne (hey), I would have been much happier... Since, Henti is sending dumb messages alike all of Japanese girls wear White Panties! or Japanese girls enjoy wearing school uniforms for...  That's very ecchiness!

But The SaiNt-san, I can agree with you about The Chobits?!  But, if you really have A.I. alike Chii what would you do ne?

ShinRa Inc

• The Ascension of the Ordinary Man
    • View Profile
    • http://shinrainc.org
Anime = Ranma 1/2
« Reply #42 on: 2002-08-01 19:15:43 »
Re: the unhealthy (and in many cases, ignorant) obsession with japanese culture that's seemed to have taken root among America's younger generations.

::salute::

Just a small pet peeve of mine.  Unfortunately, there's a growing number of American Youths that have been growing up watching Cartoon Network and Toonami, and think that those programs are accurate representations of the entire Japanese culture and history, to the point of insane levels of obsession and imitation (I've known many people who'll tell you their life's dream is now to move to Tokyo someday, but can't really give you a reason behind wanting to, for example).  But being something of a student of history, my knowledge of the Japanese is less focused on the Anime industry, and more rooted in the reality of Japanese history and culture, most notably the well documented feelings of racial superiority, particularly during the 1920-45 era, and the atrocities committed by the Empire of Japan throughout that time period.  And even in the present time, as I recall, most Japanese educational textbooks will only mention the Atomic Bombings when it comes time to learn about World War II

Mind you, this is not some blanket statement saying anything derogatory about any Japanese individuals, or of that racial background.  Just a gripe about traditionally ignorant Americans idolizing something they've only seen Cartoons of, and will never really understand, or attempt to research.

It's also somewhat hypocritical.  If someone displays an interest in German history, music, and/or language, most people's immidiate reaction will to bring assumptions and associations regarding the Nazis or Adolf Hitler, but when another person displays the same interests in the Japanese equivilents...they're 'cool'.

And no, I'm not Bolshivek
[/rant]

Nori

• View Profile
Ohhh My Head x.X
« Reply #43 on: 2002-08-01 19:28:44 »
"1920-45 era is (Hirohito-era)!!!" >< ShinRa Inc, I hope you are okay (omoshiroi view)~ I think I'm so done with anime for now ara iite iitaaiii

ShinRa Inc

• The Ascension of the Ordinary Man
    • View Profile
    • http://shinrainc.org
Re: Ohhh My Head x.X
« Reply #44 on: 2002-08-01 19:40:34 »
[quote="nayoung>< ShinRa Inc, I hope you are okay (omoshiroi view)~ [/quote]

Erm, I'm not sure what that means.

And I'm not putting down anyone, or any of the topics that've been in this thread.  There are some Anime series that I like (albiet, I won't spent hundreds of dollars on importing it or whatnot), and I (obviously) like some of the RPGs quite a bit.

I know many people on these forums aren't Americans, but whenever I see large-scale Anime/Japanese discussions, I just feel a need to vent about the subject.

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
Anime = Ranma 1/2
« Reply #45 on: 2002-08-01 20:08:05 »
Shinra: I agree, "ignorance" is a suitable adjective for the new fascination with Japan. They watch a few anime, maybe even recognize Japanese language, and suddenly they act as if they could pass off as a native Japanese in any comparison. And this "shallowness" is a way of life that's embraced far too often -- by people in general, but Americans in particular.

I find Japan to be an intriguing and fascinating country with a rich heritage, and I become further engrossed the more I discover about it (I've studied it for quite a while, and I'm currently learning the language). But when people who has barely glanced at the surface and can't even pronounce "Tokyo" properly go out and talk of how great Japan is... I dunno, I strikes me as sad - in both interpretations of the word.

*** CAUTION: Entering Level 2 Rant ***

Americans annoy me. Not all of them of course, but an alarming percentage of them. Americans with their smug sense of superiority, casually seeing their country and president as the ruler of this planet. What gives USA the right to decide which governments are good and which are bad, and replace them as they see fit? "Saddam is evil, he should be shot"; "Arafat must go away, he's annoying us with his crap about freedom for his people whose land was given to the Israeli, why can't he just do as our president says?". And no other country dare oppose them, GOD it's depraved. The US is suffering from a severe case of megalomania, and the rest of the world has a problem for believing in it.

And what about this nationalism? Especially since Sep.11th, people uniting under the flag, being proud to be a true American ("I bought the T-shirt!"). USA, a country with hardly any history in comparison with the rest of the world. USA, a country where nearly every single person is an immigrant? And the educational system... I'm not saying it's flawed, but when half of the population believes man and dinosaur co-existed (fact), there's something very wrong. This may be because I didn't grow up there, but I just cannot see anything in the US to be especially proud of.

Now I realize these views will offend some people. This may be so, but I've seen so much crap from that country... not all Americans are asses of course, but there simply cannot be enough smart people alive to counteract the amount of stupidity in there. When dealing with me, you're "American until proven otherwise".

People who are willing to reply in a civilized manner may do so. People who feel like saying "who the hell do u think u are, u fucking retard?!" will be referred to my American representative, Mr. Trash Bin.

Also, to those American people that I respect as intelligent individuals (those I talk to): Please do not be offended that I use "American" as a derogatory adjective. It's just gotten to be a habit.

*** END of Level 2 Rant ***

Nori

• View Profile
As Japanese/Korean
« Reply #46 on: 2002-08-01 21:12:36 »
WOW, don't know what to say... hmmm interesting views, but if you go Japan and spend sometime there you will learn major two things: a word of "gaijin" and "inner-cycle."  Not going to talk about it (gomen)~

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
Anime = Ranma 1/2
« Reply #47 on: 2002-08-01 21:18:46 »
Uh-huh (as in "affirmative nod"). For us foreigners, Japan isn't exactly the place to go to "try your luck", so to speak... at least that's the impression I've gotten.  8)

sHELL

• View Profile
Anime = Ranma 1/2
« Reply #48 on: 2002-08-01 21:27:59 »
Japanese culture is also very "interesting", by which we mean "confusing" and in several cases "dangerous". Their culture is based on the concept of "In Group/Out Group", in which all Japanese people are one big "In" group, and YOU are the "Out" group.

I think that makes it all clear. Sounds sour, but I think it is pretty close to reality.

Quote from So You Want to Learn Japanese

atzn

• View Profile
Anime = Ranma 1/2
« Reply #49 on: 2002-08-01 21:46:52 »
Well luckily there aren't many idiots in UK compared to US. Still, there are some idiots around my place.

I just don't understand. Majority of the English are generally nice. Not all of them though.  :evil: (Especially to us Asians)

I can't understand why there are racists. Whenever I walk past a bunch of teens/ lads, they insult me with all those nonsensical stuff. Fine, I just ignore them. Not only that, this mentality exists in my school as well, unfortunately. They pull my schoolbag whenever I'm walking. I just pull it back and stare at them. They're such cowards, and they run away.

Believe me, if one day my patience runs out I'll really kick those useless idiots. But what's the point? I rather keep my cool. I'll just take them as people who doesn't see the world enough. They think that they are the greatest. They think that their command of English is far superior to us Asians. They don't respect Asians enough. So? I think that they should look at their own country first.

That's what I think. Nevertheless, I do have nice English friends as well. No offense to any English people here.