Author Topic: New Project: Bombing Mission!  (Read 527257 times)

BlitzNCS

• Master of nothing in particular
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
Re: New Project: Bombing Mission!
« Reply #375 on: 2010-06-10 22:23:03 »
Wow, Nice work there.
Yeah, definately needs adjustments to work with the Q-Gears rendering engine. In fact, if we're going to do this, we'll probably need some sort of previewing app in the long run, just so we can see how it's going to look as rendered by OGRE.

SpooX

• ah nothing really...
  • Used to be errr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: 2010-06-10 22:40:28 »
that should not be that difficult....
Q-gears is built to use the Ogre engine, there are Ogre3D exporters available for all 3d apps...(see svn)
the image i posted was a screendump from ogremax-win utility.
I think these would be at least usefull for the battle-scenes in order to create more detailed geometry and apply the mappings correctly.

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: 2010-06-10 22:46:43 »
Yes I hate the current way the mappings are.

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: 2010-06-10 22:47:41 »
While this is great work and all, if everyone wants my opinion (and i know yo do!) i think we should avoid tackling this for now. It would take away too much time from what we are doing now. Maybe as Q-gears continues to mature and we have at least the bombing mission completed maybe we could devote a bit of time to it. As it stands right now we don't have the manpower to handle this.

BlitzNCS

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #379 on: 2010-06-10 22:59:46 »
Yeah, actually, I agree. As it stands, Q-Gears isn't developed enough to consider an entire switchover to a realtime rendering engine - we're only talking about theorietical implementations.
Maybe if we get more people to help out in the future we could devote a small team to convert the high poly scenes into ones optimised for the ogre format or something, I dunno.
« Last Edit: 2010-06-10 23:06:15 by NCS »

Akari

• View Profile
« Reply #380 on: 2010-06-11 07:05:53 »
While this is great work and all, if everyone wants my opinion (and i know yo do!) i think we should avoid tackling this for now. It would take away too much time from what we are doing now. Maybe as Q-gears continues to mature and we have at least the bombing mission completed maybe we could devote a bit of time to it. As it stands right now we don't have the manpower to handle this.

Sl1982 is right. Now is too early to do anything. You can load model in game, but it will take 2 or 3 month for me to implement (translate from old code) walkmesh, scripting, scene models iteraction, camera to see how thos model looks in game. So stay tuned and keep good work =)

Yeah, actually, I agree. As it stands, Q-Gears isn't developed enough to consider an entire switchover to a realtime rendering engine - we're only talking about theorietical implementations.
Maybe if we get more people to help out in the future we could devote a small team to convert the high poly scenes into ones optimised for the ogre format or something, I dunno.

For test I can work with high poly models.
« Last Edit: 2010-06-11 07:09:22 by Akari »

SpooX

• ah nothing really...
  • Used to be errr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: 2010-06-11 07:53:24 »
Unfortunately i also agree...
I was thinking about it a bit more and it might be a bit more complex then just optimizing models and textures.
Also there should be taking in account what kind of camera options there should be in case of RT-3D-FFVII....3rdperson,1stperson or fixed, or all options.
for large scenes....well background data streaming etc. etc.

For now, as i already try to optimize the models as much as possible (to lower render times) it might be not that difficult to change, however as pointed out before the texturing in my case is not really optimized for games, just for rendering.

so let's stick to 2d-backgrounds and 3d battlefields. :-D

craziinova

• View Profile
« Reply #382 on: 2010-06-11 08:43:57 »
Unfortunately i also agree...
I was thinking about it a bit more and it might be a bit more complex then just optimizing models and textures.
Also there should be taking in account what kind of camera options there should be in case of RT-3D-FFVII....3rdperson,1stperson or fixed, or all options.
for large scenes....well background data streaming etc. etc.

For now, as i already try to optimize the models as much as possible (to lower render times) it might be not that difficult to change, however as pointed out before the texturing in my case is not really optimized for games, just for rendering.

so let's stick to 2d-backgrounds and 3d battlefields. :-D

In a perfect world I would imagine a camera angle similar to that of FFX or, more ideally, like that of Devil May Cry, in my eyes at least. Although I can't even imagine the complexity of scripting such a system, poor Akari, best of luck to him.

In the mean time lets get busy

SpooX

• ah nothing really...
  • Used to be errr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: 2010-06-12 00:52:54 »
...In the mean time lets get busy

Okidoki... :|

Some more details and materials....

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #384 on: 2010-06-12 03:27:28 »
So what you're saying is, you can model and texture.

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: 2010-06-12 10:56:11 »
The train boards aren't centered.
Texture looks great btw.

Timber

• View Profile
« Reply #386 on: 2010-06-12 17:27:45 »
Spoox your work is very impressive...

Mako

• View Profile
« Reply #387 on: 2010-06-12 22:32:50 »
Wow SpoonX that's amazing, and sl1982 whats that like a bijjilion polygons I would really like to know.

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: 2010-06-12 22:35:17 »
Its only about 100,000 triangles

Mako

• View Profile
« Reply #389 on: 2010-06-12 22:37:43 »
Actually that's not as high as I thought...I was expecting like a million looking at the pic. Hmmm still pretty big though.

Mendelevium

• View Profile
« Reply #390 on: 2010-06-13 19:50:29 »

Well here is my attempt at the Red Shinra guard... Still very rough, and this is the first model I have ever made entirely from scratch. ^.^.
I know it isn't very good but I tried. ^.^

I know the legs and feet are crappy... they need to be remade.
And I still haven't done much on the face. I honestly don't know where to begin with the mouth and nose. XD.
« Last Edit: 2010-06-14 06:39:15 by Mendelevium »

Timber

• View Profile
« Reply #391 on: 2010-06-14 02:14:15 »
Since the chibi models are mostly all the same size, would it be a good idea for some sort of 'base' model for people to work off?
Like just a basic human figure, and just add different features for the different NPCs? NCS's models look pretty good, could work off those.

I havent modeled before so I don't know if it works like this.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: 2010-06-14 02:34:40 »
Since the chibi models are mostly all the same size, would it be a good idea for some sort of 'base' model for people to work off?
Like just a basic human figure, and just add different features for the different NPCs? NCS's models look pretty good, could work off those.

I havent modeled before so I don't know if it works like this.
Except they're not the same size. Wedge and Palmer and Heidegger and Don Corneo are all large, for example, yet none of them are the same size. Not to mention, even two characters who are built the same can have very different outfits that mess with the sizes and proportions.

Mendelevium

• View Profile
« Reply #393 on: 2010-06-14 03:00:07 »
I was wondering something along those lines myself. Cause i didn't know how to shape the torso or hands... :P.
So I stuck the original and added basic hands... Not sure if I should model fingers tho... I mean we need a basic design... if anything.

However I want to know what you people think of my model? ^.^
Any criticisms?
« Last Edit: 2010-06-14 06:40:27 by Mendelevium »

Timber

• View Profile
« Reply #394 on: 2010-06-14 09:56:22 »
Except they're not the same size. Wedge and Palmer and Heidegger and Don Corneo are all large, for example, yet none of them are the same size. Not to mention, even two characters who are built the same can have very different outfits that mess with the sizes and proportions.

I said 'mostly'.

What I'm saying is there has to be some kind of standard.
You can't have a hundred models with totally different style hands for example.
Having a base model would remedy this, and save the trouble of having to make a 'hand' for a model over and over and over again.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: 2010-06-14 12:49:56 »
i'll try and whip up a basemodel for chibi characters, despite most characters being different in stature, a good mesh can be easily morphed for different proportions. Our big question is, do we have clenched fists or modeled fingers with curled in fingers...

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: 2010-06-14 13:48:31 »
i'll try and whip up a basemodel for chibi characters, despite most characters being different in stature, a good mesh can be easily morphed for different proportions. Our big question is, do we have clenched fists or modeled fingers with curled in fingers...

Slightly curled in fingers would be more realistic, although it's not certain that they'll look better in game. Hmmm.... :|

Also, I like the idea of having a base mesh if it won't compromise quality. There's no point in reduplicating effort and I'm sure it will save a lot of time.

Tsetra

• View Profile
« Reply #397 on: 2010-06-14 13:59:01 »
If you guys don't already have one, it might be a wise idea to create a database for project materials you can upload your WIPs, finished pieces, and reference materials onto. This will provide a back-up should anyone have hardware problems or difficulty completing certain tasks. Downloads could be limited to team members only, while anyone else is free to review the contents. This doubles in function allowing aspiring contributors to know what's already done or being worked on so they don't cover unnecessary ground. It might also be a little motivating to see your own hard work piled together in one organized system.  :)

BlitzNCS

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #398 on: 2010-06-14 15:00:37 »
D: Am I gonna have to scrap parts of Wedge? Didn't you already give Wedge some new hands anyway?
I still think closed fists is probably closer to the original, but that's just me.

If you guys don't already have one, it might be a wise idea to create a database for project materials you can upload your WIPs, finished pieces, and reference materials onto. This will provide a back-up should anyone have hardware problems or difficulty completing certain tasks. Downloads could be limited to team members only, while anyone else is free to review the contents. This doubles in function allowing aspiring contributors to know what's already done or being worked on so they don't cover unnecessary ground. It might also be a little motivating to see your own hard work piled together in one organized system.  :)
We do have one, but it's currently down, and only a few people have the link. Plus, most of the stuff isn't in it, nor is it organised very well.

Xenobond

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio Site
« Reply #399 on: 2010-06-19 17:28:42 »
Hey guys. been out for a while. Good news is I have a job again. I fly out to Vegas tomorrow and start on Monday. Yeh. So after 4th of July I'll be able to get back to work on the MP.
Progress is looking good so that is nice to see. Good work!