Author Topic: New Project: Bombing Mission!  (Read 528725 times)

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: New Project: Bombing Mission!
« Reply #550 on: 2010-07-10 14:39:48 »
I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark and say that he might have meant creating a patch that would turn the game into a demo of sorts when "New Game" is selected. And yes, that would seem to require an uninstall patch. And some field editing.

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #551 on: 2010-07-10 15:25:35 »
Well let's look at it from a system approach.

The bombing mission demo data could/would be a seperate chunk of data (think field files etc.), not a replacement.
Replacing the data is likely to lead to problems (IE people could loose there data if something goes wrong).
You can take the original bombing mission script and modify it for the new demo set, or create your own (either way).

The last change would be the start up menu with 'demo' added instead of just "new" and continue.

It will likely be necessary to have different battle layout templates (since the demo had 1 to 6 enemies instead).  All in all the amount of script work would be the biggest trouble. 

The replacement 'option' is as I said dangerous. You must have an automatic installation script set up to do all this irregardless of how you get the demo working.

The safe thing to do is copy the files modified into a separate directory then add the new content. I'm not sure how this will affect the FF7 data for the PC (as it's stored in a different manner than the PSX).

Stephen

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: 2010-07-10 15:43:27 »
There is no need to limit the bombing mission to a demo. It /is/ a demo of our abilities, and will be advertised as such. once you get to the explosion fmv, assets you havn't seen yet will go back to crap, but as far as advertising for newcommers, someone'll make a nice highrez recording of the whole opening mission, and thats what the internet will see. People iwll likely flame back n forth about ff7 remakes n think its square or some bullcrap, but hopefully we'll get some more intelligent people onboard.

That is the purpose of this project. Although it will likely be entertaining, and enjoyable, this is a recruiting effort.

BlitzNCS

• Master of nothing in particular
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #553 on: 2010-07-10 15:58:50 »
someone'll make a nice highrez recording of the whole opening mission

I nominate myself.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: 2010-07-10 16:06:11 »
keep workin on wedge first :P

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #555 on: 2010-07-10 17:07:24 »
LOL, I should have quoted halkun (his suggestion to have a demo version).

Have fun creating the video. I never really checked does the opening video have an audio track or is that SEQ PSX data (midi with samples)?  If you are redoing the video, I suggest redoing the audio as well, as the quality can be improved (24bit 48Ksps stereo for example) to enhance the dynamic range. It always seemed a bit shallow on the PS1 audio so I suspect it was 31.25ksps ADPCM stereo (so limited frequency range and the dynamic range was 96db MAX and more likely close to 80db) typical PC sound system (cheap ones) now is 90db with good ones close to 120db. These are noticeably better than the original audio to a untrained ear (and to a professional it's blatantly obvious).  The sound of the SEQ based audio is significantly better than the streamed audio because one can improve the quality independently of the original content.

Cyb

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #556 on: 2010-07-10 17:40:52 »
OMG Cyb! I thought you were dead! (Again) :)

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: 2010-07-10 18:22:08 »
Creating a "demo" out of it would mean a lot of unnecessary work when it can just be tacked on the game as is.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: 2010-07-10 18:36:50 »
by video i mean like a screencaptured playthrough of the opening, but yes, the fmvs /will/ be redone... we need an aeris tho... and other npcs... and cars.

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #559 on: 2010-07-10 20:20:50 »
OMG Cyb! I thought you were dead! (Again) :)
Cyb has been busy building high power motor controllers and busy with his job (Yes I WORK it's shocking).

My demise has been prematurely speculated I guess?

Erstwhile

In the mean time a play through video demo, hmmm you might go with a 'motion' capture of the game use a toy like 3dx ripper or oglrip to grab the information being passed to the graphics rendering system. You can do some database analysis on it then run it through a 3d pipeline (again) and render the final output in whatever resolution you want. (IE play through in say 640x480 to make it easy then rerender at 720p letter boxed with commentary on the side or what have you). However this stuff might be a bit complex. You also might be able to make a small hack of the FF7 binary to send the frame to a video pin and pipe that through an FFDshow coder then you can select pretty much any output you want MTS (mpeg 2 transport stream)  mpeg 4 such as Divx H.264 xvid etc. Whatever you do, do not use WM9 format (WMV). Biggest abomination on the planet and a royal pain for people.

Most of the 'screen to video' programs are problematic I've found.

Cyb

dragowulf

• View Profile
« Reply #560 on: 2010-07-11 03:50:39 »
You mean just like it wasn't?
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x74/beefpwnage/Untitled-1-3.jpg
I dunno, definately doesn't look like it to me. It's similar, but not identical.
Looks like a young cloud.  The model looks like a kid.  Cloud isn't a little boy.

MOD EDIT:

No quoting images.

Rawr.
« Last Edit: 2010-07-11 05:34:04 by Timu Sumisu »

Millenia

• wireframe
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
« Reply #561 on: 2010-07-11 09:20:52 »

Here's my gf's paintover, will probably try to make it look like something like this..

nikfrozty

• Cloud kicks Sephiroth's Butt Anytime
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: 2010-07-11 09:41:48 »
That looks awesome! Your girlfriend's really good. I guess you both have something in common.:)

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: 2010-07-11 13:44:31 »
looks good. I think the lips in the paintover should just be a bit flatter (top/bottom), and the bottom lip color closer to the skintone.

BloodShot

• View Profile
« Reply #564 on: 2010-07-11 14:34:02 »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gd1ydZoRSNY <--- Part 1 of 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv0vLbCAeDE <--- Part 2 of 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CGO3b-Su0k <--- Part 3 of 3

We should make the demo stand alone, like this. You can see it's a little rough around the edges. Who knows, it might attrace talent if they cansee we can make the demo happen.

I'm all for adding Aerith, Lavathan, and moving the level to 10. Some other things like rescuing wedge, not so much...

Maybe we can grab the kernel.bin from the demo :)

It will also mean adding other monsters

What the... is that an attack prepping animation i see?

halkun

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #565 on: 2010-07-11 18:21:40 »
Wow, nice catch! Yea, They point the model towards the enemy selected and alter the battle stance a little. The animation is super-rough though. I can see why they dropped. it.

Mako

• View Profile
« Reply #566 on: 2010-07-11 19:04:30 »
HA! i Acually have that demo in my collection grabbed a bunch back in the day...Nice demo started you with neo bahamut.

Millenia

• wireframe
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
« Reply #567 on: 2010-07-12 05:26:47 »
Finally finished the guard scorp, also, obesebear or whomever converts these, what format do you want the stuff in?

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #568 on: 2010-07-12 05:27:48 »
obj is safe since every program can export and import it.

Millenia

• wireframe
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
« Reply #569 on: 2010-07-12 05:29:25 »
Lol that was ridiculously fast

So where do you want the files, the repository?

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #570 on: 2010-07-12 05:34:17 »
Yeah I'm up watching Lie to Me so I check here during commercial breaks. You can just PM it to me is fine, so long as all critiques are finished and what have you :P

BlitzNCS

• Master of nothing in particular
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #571 on: 2010-07-12 12:01:42 »
I'd maybe wanna see summa dis but I think it's good to go however it is. Amazing job!

EDIT: Ah, there's still the small matter of the hands and search lights that someone was too much of a lazy ass to model again
« Last Edit: 2010-07-12 12:07:08 by NCS »

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: 2010-07-12 12:20:10 »
Yep, hands and search lights missing.
I like NCS recolor better as it's more accurate when comparing to the original deal. Also i would paint the inside of tip of the tail black (or something) leaving only the outside blades blue/silver.

halkun

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #573 on: 2010-07-12 12:22:24 »
Yea, not done yet I think. We can keep the textures and change the hues a bit around the edges.

Millenia

• wireframe
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
« Reply #574 on: 2010-07-12 12:50:52 »
I can't be bothered, somebody else can fix it if they really want to