Author Topic: New Project: Bombing Mission!  (Read 524620 times)

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
Re: New Project: Bombing Mission!
« Reply #775 on: 2010-07-27 22:19:11 »
Also @ millenia, I know you like to have equal ratio for poly area and texture density, which can be good in some contexts, doesnt work the same with characters and when ultramaximizing. Always consider where there is more detail (ex, face, lots of detail vs. backside, not so much detail)

I think we've sufficiently lectured millenia on uv mapping, hows about we get some more wip shots up of... nething o.o

BlitzNCS

• Master of nothing in particular
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #776 on: 2010-07-29 13:31:17 »
Wedge is near enough finished! Just need millenia to give the texture a few tweaks and it'll be usable  ;D

I'll need someone to help convert him properly though.
He's up on the repo if anyone wants to take a shot at it.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #777 on: 2010-07-29 14:45:22 »
He looks fine, what's the problem?

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: 2010-07-29 14:46:22 »
Awesome! The Michelin Man is in Avalanche!

BlitzNCS

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #779 on: 2010-07-29 15:15:30 »
The lack of textures?
*Wasn't built with a sarcasm detector*

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #780 on: 2010-07-29 17:10:29 »
The lack of textures?
*Wasn't built with a sarcasm detector*
Right, but you have experience doing this so I figured you just didn't have the finished texture applied yet.   So you have a texture but it won't show up in game then..

Miseru

• "Help! One of my main characters is black!" - xD
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: 2010-07-29 17:33:10 »
 I turned Cloud into such michelin man before messing with textures when I forgot it needs to be square in a multiply of 8x8 in original game, but I guess that's not(?) the case with Aali's driver:3.

Millenia

• wireframe
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
« Reply #782 on: 2010-07-30 03:27:49 »
Don't convert Wedge just yet, I might tweak the UVs

BlitzNCS

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #783 on: 2010-07-31 01:04:00 »
Finshed modelling Biggs, will start on Jessie tomorrow.

EDIT: I've forgotten about his headband bits and pieces and his lower belt, but they can be done anytime.
« Last Edit: 2010-07-31 01:06:06 by NCS »

Mr. Ite

• View Profile
« Reply #784 on: 2010-08-01 07:55:31 »
Finshed modelling Biggs, will start on Jessie tomorrow.

Whoa! I didn't know you had even started! Looks fantastic, I notice you're designing them after the concept art and not the original sprites. Is that always going to be the case?

BlitzNCS

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #785 on: 2010-08-01 11:15:37 »
I'm trying to blend the styles of the concept art and the original models, really - I'm using both as reference. Thing is, the art is a _lot_ more detailed because it's a drawing, while the original model is a few squares with vertex painting, so because I need more detail than was in the original, I look to the concept art. However, there's a lot of stuff in the concept art that doesn't work practically in 3D, because they're just drawings. In those cases, I refer to the original model (plus, you can't see the back of the character in the art).

It bothers me though, how the model that Square made for Biggs was pretty much completely different to the concept art. The hair's wrong, the colours are wrong, the top's wrong, the arms and hands are wrong, and the legs are wrong. I'm willing to bet the feet would be wrong too, if they weren't just cubes. They even gave him a massive hair spike that wasn't present in the art for some unknown reason. It's almost as if the dude they told to make the model lost the concept art and just based it off what he remembered o.O

EDIT: I realise after typing that wall of text, though, that the whole point of this project is to update the graphics while keeping the sense of nostalgia for those who played the original. And I'm sure that most people didn't spend the whole time looking at the concept art instead of actually playing the game.

So, if enough people think this is a good idea and not just a waste of time, I'd be happy to make an alternate model with his attire based more on the original model than on the concept art.

[/unexpectedly long post]

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #786 on: 2010-08-01 13:22:13 »
I'm all for the original drawn art. Go with it.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: 2010-08-01 13:50:25 »
In most cases, its fine to use original ff7 art (sometimes compilation) as reference. I dont think many people spent their time in ff7 looking at 120 polygons of biggs nehow :P.

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: 2010-08-01 14:15:26 »
What you have just now is a good compromise between the original model and the concept.

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #789 on: 2010-08-01 14:34:22 »
i think that biggs you have so far is perfect.. it looks like the in-game model w/ more detail gathered from the concept art.. just what i expect from TA, besides everything would look horrible if we uped the pixel count and just kept exactly the same amount of detail...

willis936

• View Profile
« Reply #790 on: 2010-08-01 15:35:59 »
Sayyyy isn't that exactly what aali's driver does?  ;)

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #791 on: 2010-08-01 15:40:18 »
Sayyyy isn't that exactly what aali's driver does?  ;)
it does appear to be a part of what it does :P

OwenWalker

• View Profile
« Reply #792 on: 2010-08-07 04:09:24 »
I would love to be able to help in creating models/texturing whatever I can however.. I do need to ask.. as well as learn ofc..

What do you use to create character models? Is that also done in sketchup or.. Whilst someone is doing Jessie I would like a crack at her even just to have some practise.

EDIT: Hehe.. found 3DSMax.

Now to try it out ;D

EDIT2: A new question. With battle models the file seems to load up as one complete model.

With field models though do you need to play jigsaw and find the correct pieces then fit them all together?
« Last Edit: 2010-08-07 16:27:01 by OwenWalker »

Shankifer

• Jack of all trades - Master of none!
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #793 on: 2010-08-07 04:54:19 »
blender.org   :D

Costa07

• View Profile
« Reply #794 on: 2010-08-07 22:26:37 »
Hey great job so far from what i seen yall almost got it all covered. The character are mostly done as well as battle scenes. From what i seen almost all enemies are complete as well. And the backgrounds are being worked on so i want to say yall are about like 80-85% complete with the bombing mission. So is there any thing that is unclaimed and no one is working on maybe i'll take a shot at it.

OwenWalker

• View Profile
« Reply #795 on: 2010-08-10 12:03:44 »

No where near completion ofc but just thought I'd post my progress.. (Colours are just temporary to see differences etc.

Any feedback?

Ofc NCS prolly gonna have a better one made but..

BlitzNCS

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #796 on: 2010-08-10 13:21:55 »
You would think I'd already have made one, but I'm also lazier than you might think  :P

Anyway, onto feedback.
Overall, it's not looking too bad at all really. The feet are looking great, although perhaps the buckle could be wider.
The ankle thing could probably be further up the leg so there's more room at the bottom for the thinner, screw-like bit

Now the shorts look ok, but you've sota made them flare out as they get towards the bottom, whereas in the concept art they're pretty much the same wideness throughout.

The crotch part is where you've gotta think outside the box. I know that in the original it was modelled like that, and you have introduced more polys, but actually that's not gonna work all that well, since the aim is to add more detail, and you can't get much detail at all out of that shape.
Instead, try something like I did with Biggs + Wedge and have it go up over the torso slightly. what you want is to hide visible seams between parts as much as possible, and right now there is a clear seam between the crotch+legs and the crotch+torso.

The torso itself isn't shaped very well really, and also the armour doesn't stick out from the body enough, I'd suggest remaking that piece or drastically reshaping it.
The shoulders are actually not bad. You'd need to make everything bigger and angle the shoulderguards out more. You should also make the arm parts a lot thicker - refer to the art wherever possible. The 'glove' part doesn't really reference the art or the original model at all, so you might wanna rethink those.

One last point, and I've seen a lot of modellers fall into this trap. When you've got parts that you think you can manipulate from cylinder primitives, do not set the side count too high. I always think to myself - If in doubt, go for double the original. Basically what I mean is, you don't want to end up with arms and legs that are like 18 sides. It doesn't look any more cylindrical than an 8 sided one would and you're just using unnecessary polys, as well as making it harder to manipulate.

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: 2010-08-10 13:26:59 by NCS »

OwenWalker

• View Profile
« Reply #797 on: 2010-08-10 19:28:45 »
thanks for the feedback. :) I'll get working on it all ASAP and yes as I said it is in very low WiP currently. spent around 7 hours learning new things :) really enjoying 3d modelling xD

It's also my first model so it is probably going to take a very long time to get everything in proper position that it should be. So far I've just been trying to make a basic full mesh and then I'll re-adjust everything I've done. After I've worked on the head and hands I'll repost a new image along with the feedback. Ofc after swapping around all my proportions and fixing it all up. I've only just today extended my breastplate out and started making her trousers have the concept art look.

After looking at your poly counts on biggs I saw that it was around 12ish so I've been working with that for any cylindrical shapes.. Altho if you have been working at 8 I'll probably reduce them all down to that.

One final thing which I wasn't really sure about. Are the boots too big in your eyes? was considering scaling them down slightly and then increasing the buckle a bit also.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: 2010-08-11 05:26:55 »
good to see yer progress, good stuff fer yer first model. the boots are a good size, but work on making all the details like buckles etc to scale of the original art. what you want to keep proportionate to the model is the size of the difference peices. NOT the shape :P. Show a wireframe after your next go. Additionally, as ncs pointed out, always try n keep your limbs at 8 sides, its a good size for keep managable and still have detail (even 6 is okay, but... we can splurge :3)

OwenWalker

• View Profile
« Reply #799 on: 2010-08-12 00:04:15 »

Jesse's head!

However feedback mainly on this... after looking at the concept art she actually has a ponytail there and wondered. What everyone would prefer.

Pony tail or current.

I vote ponytail :P