Author Topic: FF7 Workshop-ish Site  (Read 20376 times)

saftle

• View Profile
Re: FF7 Workshop-ish Site
« Reply #25 on: 2013-07-02 19:52:23 »
Also, I'm still trying to figure out how the transition from authenticated user to mod developer will work. The more automation the better. Either way, I hope that my quick thrown together concept sounds good.

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2013-07-02 20:03:04 »
I think, IF this were to happen, that it would be a good idea to keep everything here, such as technical info and conversations, and use this other site for distribution of releases and such.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #27 on: 2013-07-02 21:07:40 »
It sounds exactly like Steamworkshop, which I like very much  :)

I would have to agree with CNH, the site for hosting the Workshop should only be for the installer process. I would like any communication and technical support to link back to the Qhimm forums.

saftle

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2013-07-02 22:05:39 »
It sounds exactly like Steamworkshop, which I like very much  :)

I would have to agree with CNH, the site for hosting the Workshop should only be for the installer process. I would like any communication and technical support to link back to the Qhimm forums.

I wholeheartedly agree. Keeping development separate from the casuals is exactly what is missing in the Steam workshop. After I finish up a few other web projects, and as soon as I hear Qhimm's and Pitbrat's opinion of this setup, I'll get to work on a prototype. Hosting, discussions regarding bandwidth costs, etc can come after a proof of concept in my opinion.

Also, if they give it a go, and everyone seems to show support in this project, I would love if someone with Photoshop template skills could whip something up for me. I can rip up any PSD into a site, I just don't have the creative know how to make one on my own. Buying a template is also a possibility, but I'm sure people in the modding community can do a lot better.

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2013-07-03 17:55:55 »
Qhimm's and Pitbrat's opinion

Good luck. Qhimm doesn't come around anymore and PitBrat is busy with life. I could try to contact him, but I can't guarantee anything.

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2013-07-03 18:39:39 »
Yeah, Qhimm is gone, but Pitbrat just posted a day or two ago saying he's busy but still alive.

saftle

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2013-07-04 16:02:04 »
Well now that FF7 is available through Steam, do you guys think an official workshop will ever be integrated? Don't want to waste my time on a prototype if it'll be implemented soon anyways.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2013-07-04 16:40:09 »
There's no way in hell they'll use Steam workshop. I wish they would, but they won't.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #33 on: 2013-07-04 17:27:03 »
I can't imagine a SE game ever being on the workshop either. I'd prefer your ideas anyways, since it directly streamlines with what we do here.

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2013-07-04 22:25:51 »
Well now that FF7 is available through Steam, do you guys think an official workshop will ever be integrated? Don't want to waste my time on a prototype if it'll be implemented soon anyways.

No they wont. They didn't care about the game so much. All what they do is to hold it high enough as needed to have a good base for an eventually remake.
They will made a remake, maybe at the end of the PS4 lifetime or in the middle of the PS5 lifetime. It's money, which they would make for sure after all.

saftle

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2013-07-05 15:47:20 »
Ok, then I'll work on it regardless. Maybe it'll give them an idea of how to integrate it officially when the time comes. Now all that's left before I start working on the project is input from Pitbrat :)

Iros

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Files for the file god! Mods for the mod throne!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2013-07-18 08:32:50 »
saftle: If you have not seen it, my launcher/wrapper that lets you activate / deactivate mods without having to alter the game files might be useful for this? I don't know if you would need me to make changes to my launcher for it to be useful, if you think of something that would be useful, please tell me and I will see if I can add it in  ;D

Template

• Life is a series of cats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2013-07-18 11:22:33 »
Ok, then I'll work on it regardless. Maybe it'll give them an idea of how to integrate it officially when the time comes. Now all that's left before I start working on the project is input from Pitbrat :)
He's around... are you in contact? How's this project coming? I think it's very exciting. I think if this happens in conjunction with the new wrapper from Iros, it'll fuel a lot more energy into future mods, since they will be more easily accessed, installed&uninstalled, tested, discussed and developed.
« Last Edit: 2013-07-18 11:46:12 by Template »

PitBrat

• Change to feed the machine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2013-07-18 17:49:46 »
SE is extremely particular about their ownership rights of even the smallest fragment of an original texture. Workshop integration is a pipe dream. I like the idea of the wrapper, but I don't see how it can ever work with an unconverted re-release without a completely new driver. Even so, I think it's a good direction for future projects.

I'd like to see more consistency in the way that mods are packaged and installed.

genesis063

• Self proclaimed number 1 Sephiroth fanboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2013-07-18 20:43:42 »
You should also think about different tabs for the versions of the game.  Like since some mods work on the old version but don't work on the new re-release one.

Cleanshooter

• "You spoony bard!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2013-08-14 13:36:41 »
I like the idea and if you need any help I would like to offer it.  I am a web developer, when not playing video games.  Are you planning on building it on a particular CMS or are you planning on using a one of the development frameworks to build something from scratch? 

Also I hear you on the Photoshop conversion for a template... I work with several designers but it might take some convincing to get something done pro bono.  One thing you might consider for the design is buying one and modding it and/or using it until the project gets more traction.  Once you have more traction a designer might be more inclined to offer to do a pro bono re-design and if your using a CMS the conversion should be simple.  I had also thought about doing a similar project a few years ago but decided against it for the very reasons that have been mentioned on this thread. 

You always run the risk of getting a cease and desist from Square-Enix with a site of this nature.  You post indicating access control based on the users role is definitely a good idea. One option you have to avoid it is make content access member only.  If you have some kind of validation process so the content is only available to registered users and not the public then you be better protected.  New users could only be invited by existing users kinda like demonoid used to be back in the day (before it got shut down, another thing I miss).  However, even this strategy might not work.  You could always have a user go rouge and report it to Square-Enix and give them their user account. 

I still have my build stored on my hard drive from 2 years ago with the Hardcore mod (before it was fully debugged) and the character update mod, the battle system character update the new UI for the menu ohh and my favorite the music mod which I subbed in the orchestral versions of the music in OOOOOO so good!!!!!  Back then the best way to share your mod pack was via torrent.  But then you run into copy-right issues (and eventually viruses).  I still have my original PC version and install disks for this very reason...  Anyway reminiscing aside...  I think this is a great idea you just need to be careful is all. 

The main reason I've always thought this is a good idea is because content is always so hard to find on a message board like this one.  You literally need to dig through hundreds of pages and posts to find what your looking for.  Granted most people on quimm consider this a good thing to a degree since it weeds out the "undedicated".

« Last Edit: 2013-08-14 13:58:58 by Cleanshooter »

Template

• Life is a series of cats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2013-08-14 13:51:19 »
Hmm this thread is sorta sticking out like bait for anyone looking for 7thHeaven... but I'm dreading any further discussion about legalities.

saftle

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2013-08-26 19:50:46 »
Just came on really quick to say that I'm still alive.

For awhile I wasn't able to access the site (http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=14543.0) and have received quite a few projects to work on as of late.

I will definitely get back to this and show you guys a prototype as soon as I can, but I can't say when until my calendar is free again.

@Cleanshooter: I develop all projects in Drupal. I've been working with Drupal for about 8 years and all the features I listed would be very easy to implement given the modules already available and that I have experience with. I will definitely get back to you as soon as I finish the functional prototype (with a default layout) in regards to adding in a sleeker design.

@Iros Thank you for wanting to include me in your 7th Heaven project. I haven't had a chance to take a look at it, and I hope that you don't mind including the functionality to fuse our projects together, when the time comes. Once the website side of the project has a functional prototype, we can then discuss the integration more if you have time.

@EQ2Alyza Thank you for your support and I'm sorry that I haven't gotten back to you yet. I would love your input and support with this project. You are an essential part of what makes Qhimm and I don't think I could do it without you.

Sorry, I don't have too much time to reply in-depth. Hopefully I'll have more time soon.

Everyone please don't hesitate on leaving comments, concerns, suggestions, etc. I'll definitely be reading them. I really want this project to be exactly what Qhimm is looking for, while at the same time maintaining the guidelines that have made this community amazing and safe.

Edit: @Pitbrat: Thanks for responding. Do you feel that this project would be a better fit with 7th Heaven or with your Bootleg Config? Or should I think about integrating both?
« Last Edit: 2013-08-26 20:14:43 by saftle »

saftle

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2013-08-28 11:08:45 »
Would this topic make more sense in the "Tools" category? If so, could a mod please move it there? Thanks in advance.