Miscellaneous Forums > Scripting and Reverse Engineering

FF8, changing built in cheats?

(1/3) > >>

lycancowboy1989:
Going off the rules page i think this question belongs here, let me know if im wrong.

ff8 2013 PC steam version.

ive searched around and havent seen anything regarding this so im hoping i can get some help with this, if its even possible.

This version of the game has built in cheats activated with f-keys such as the assist function, which grants always full hp, always full atb, always limit break. essentially what im looking for is to change this cheat function but still have it activate via the f2 button. im trying to isolate this assistance cheat to ONLY grant always limit.

ideally this would be to split the three functions to three different keys, or to move the other two functions (hp and atb) to combine with the 9999 damage cheat making the f3 key grant full atb, full health, and 9999 damage. honestly most of that is not necessary and i would easily settle for being able to delete the "always full hp, always full atb" functions entirely leaving only "always limit"

so to recap the goal is to take the current cheat function of f2 and remove everything EXCEPT limit breaks, while still having it activate and deactivate via f2.

im kind of lost on this as its the first time im looking into things like this outside of mods, and the few bumbling attempts ive made to experiment to achieve this have obviously been unsuccessful.

Maki:
AF3DN.P - This file contains functions for Steam mods including boosters. FFVIII load this file and overwrite it's functions with the loaded file content. You shall start searching there specifically. It's normal PE or DLL afair.

lycancowboy1989:
Thank you.

is there an easy way to edit a .p file?
i have no programming knowledge or whatever this might be, and realize now im out of my depth on this. ive tried a handful of programs and different things and cant seem to get to anything that is not useless information or encoded gibberish.

im poking around with LordPE atm but i dont really know what im doing tbh.

gaaasstly:
Is it absolutely necessary to modify the built-in Boosters? If not, it would be trivial to just use a program like Cheat Engine...

lycancowboy1989:
Not a hundred percent necessary but im not the only one that plays on this pc so having it be something to opt into instead of always on would be ideal. Also the convenience of being able to toggle it on and off via steam controller is nice.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version