Author Topic: Help to make the FF movie real!  (Read 10577 times)

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
Re: Help to make the FF movie real!
« Reply #1 on: 2013-03-03 00:48:52 »
Is there a place to sign to make sure this DOESN'T happen? I think it's a horrible idea.

LeonhartGR

• View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions

vashtriguner

• View Profile
    • Vashtrigunner Youtube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 2013-03-03 09:29:10 »
I agree with NFITC1, there are just some things that shouldn't happen. Some things are best left for the imagination rather than a fan movie.

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #4 on: 2013-03-03 09:42:33 »
This doesn't look good... I don't see how anyone can recreate any ff as a live action movie and pull it off properly.
That teaser, even if well made, still looked like cosplay.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2013-03-03 11:51:20 »
If you had to make ff7 into live action, the first thing you'd need to do is to change the script (and quite a few parts of the plot) to be suited to film ( a 3 hour film).  This could be done.  You would also have to change the dress of the main characters.  Aerith would be wearing rag tag slum clothes for example.  In real life, Aerith would be a rather downtrodden slum girl, short on money and food (like all of the Slum).

With the right effort, and the right brains behind it, you could make a very good novel or film based on FF7.  Sadly, that isn't the case here.  This is just a bunch of brain dead idiots who don't understand anything about film (and the makers of Advent Children didn't either). You cannot hope to make a proper film of FF7 by treating it as a game.  Sacrifices have to be made to bring it to a larger audience and for it to work as a film. 

Then there is the problem of Red XIII.  How is anyone going to make him work in live action?  You'd need state of the art CGI for a start.  It would be a case of either big budget live action with amended script/plot, or CGI film based on FF7 with amended script/plot.  Personally I think the latter would work best.

I would be more than happy to take up the challenge of writing the screenplay to such a film, if it was officially endorsed and I was paid.  8-)
« Last Edit: 2013-03-03 13:04:21 by DLPB »

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: 2013-03-03 16:54:57 »
All it needs is a good Cait Sith to be successful.....  :P

IcePenguin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2013-03-03 18:06:57 »
I watched the trailer.  It was kinda ok.  Funny how Tifa and Barret are magically in front of the church, which, if I remember correctly, was far below the Sector 5 plate.  (Tifa and Barret were on top of the plate by the reactor)  And to the right of the church was an exit to the world map?  So they were leaving town, eh?

Also, it was sunny!  No sun in the slums of Midgar.  Haha, I'm just saying...  ;)  DLPB has the right idea.  Especially about the clothing.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2013-03-03 19:18:51 »
Aerith would be wearing rag tag slum clothes for example.  In real life, Aerith would be a rather downtrodden slum girl, short on money and food (like all of the Slum).
Doesn't necessarily need to be too bad. Put some sewing tools as setpieces in her house, and you have a great excuse for her to be wearing clothes with beautiful stitching/design but cheap fabrics. In poor areas, the best-dressed people are always the ones who can make/fix-up their own clothes.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2013-03-03 19:28:13 »
Well, for sure she would not be wearing a lovely clean pink dress that looks like it came out of a fashion store  :-D

All it needs is a good Cait Sith to be successful.....  :P

Cait is essential to the story.  We must have him there at all costs so we don't accidentally detach the audience from the story.  having Cait there will help suspend disbelief indefinitely.  8-)

IcePenguin

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2013-03-03 21:35:54 »
How come Cait Sith isn't liked?   I never thought about it before.  Unless you two were just being funny!  Ha...  Speaking of which, isn't there a mod the removes Cait Sith from cutscenes and FMVs?  I don't understand!   :-\

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2013-03-03 22:10:40 »
I removed him from the FMV for my own mod which has not yet really begun.  To completely remove him.  The reason he is not liked, aside from his crappy limit breaks, is that he is very poorly written, and simply doesn't fit in with the story well.  When he is in Scottish, it is possibly even worse.  I personally believe he was shoehorned into the story later in development. 

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
    • FFVII Lost Wing Mod/Hacks
« Reply #12 on: 2013-03-03 23:37:25 »
Someone probably had the great idea that the Ancient Temple is the Black Materia early on.  Then they had to figure out how to make that work - Ah ha, we'll make the temple shrink! - But how will we do that? - Make an oversized robotic moogle mounted by a cat with a megaphone off course!

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2013-03-04 00:26:10 »
for a fairly direct adaptation in terms of visuals, i was buying it.... right until you saw Barret's gatling gun...

LeonhartGR

• View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #14 on: 2013-03-04 01:11:04 »
Just had my epsxe 1.8 and pcsx2-5580 build with the latest plugins and went through VIII-IX-X just by curiosity to the quality the emulators make out of the games. Hopefully wasn't disappointed as much as I was expecting. Well FFX seems that would qualify as good American style movie. I totally agree with DLPB maybe you could contact the team for the script they are still in the early stages of development dealing with Square copyrights thus I doubt they will ever pass along this stage.
« Last Edit: 2013-03-04 01:12:38 by LeonhartGR »

vashtriguner

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2013-03-04 19:44:12 »
Aesthetics are lost when something is converted, that's why movies about games never feel right. It's better if they made a fan film about fictional characters in the FF7 universe rather than try to reproduce the main characters in real life. There's that problem and another of how the characters should sound because not everyone's Cloud or Barret sound the same in their head as they do in real life. It takes away the imagination of the player who may see certain characters talking with different emphasize. That's lost when someone thinks how that character sounds rather than looking at their personality.

IcePenguin

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2013-03-04 20:20:58 »
Aesthetics are lost when something is converted, that's why movies about games never feel right. It's better if they made a fan film about fictional characters in the FF7 universe rather than try to reproduce the main characters in real life. There's that problem and another of how the characters should sound because not everyone's Cloud or Barret sound the same in their head as they do in real life. It takes away the imagination of the player who may see certain characters talking with different emphasize. That's lost when someone thinks how that character sounds rather than looking at their personality.

That gave me an idea.  If there ever was to be a FF7 movie, it -could- be about the guy that controls Cait Sith.  (isn't someone from Shinra controlling him?)  If that isn't true then ignore me.  It's been a very long time since I played this game.

Anyway, it could be about that guy controlling Cait Sith, since we don't really know him, and at the very end it could throw a cliffhanger at us with the guy contacting the main party for the first time.  It could be a spy movie and of course the guy would be super cool and stuff.  We might even get to see more of Reno and Rude and the Turks story.  I dunno.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2013-03-04 21:02:30 »
Cait Sith is controlled by Reeve, and we already know a fair bit about him.

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2013-03-04 21:21:34 »
Reeve is explained in depth in Dirge of Cerberus. Aweful game though.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #19 on: 2013-03-04 21:36:07 »
Reeve is explained in depth in Dirge of Cerberus. Aweful game though.

Am I the only one that had a hard time with that game? I never got past challenge.....8, I think.

IcePenguin

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2013-03-04 21:46:47 »
Ah, I have never played any of the spin-off games.  I did see AC, though.  Which was totally... weird.  Especially Bahamut with his perfect, pearly-white human teeth.  Haha.

vashtriguner

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2013-03-05 06:05:43 »
I never understood in Advent Children why Cloud became extremely mopey and self-absorbed even though his attitude changed in the game FF7. It just seemed strange that he was still upset about Aerith's death even though he completely understood why. You'd think he would be happier that all his friends care about him so much.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2013-03-05 06:25:32 »
Mopiness (it's a word now) seems to be related to geostigma. Even though it's not a symptom in and of itself, severe loss of energy is. I don't doubt that Cloud would've felt upset about being useless against the suffering around him and even in him.

Advent Children had a lot of problems, but that was one of the few things in it I thought made sense.

vashtriguner

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2013-03-05 07:14:05 »
How would Cloud be useless, he was probably at least level 70 after the game plus with all the training he does. I'm pretty sure he was level 99 by the time of Advent Children. I thought Cloud felt useless because he let Aerith die until he realized that Aerith needed to die to save the planet. I guess Cloud wasn't as strong as I thought he was since he completely copied Zack's personality and didn't even realize it but I think that's what makes him more human to me rather than someone as callous as Sephiroth.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2013-03-05 09:03:46 »
Mopiness (it's a word now) seems to be related to geostigma. Even though it's not a symptom in and of itself, severe loss of energy is. I don't doubt that Cloud would've felt upset about being useless against the suffering around him and even in him.

Advent Children had a lot of problems, but that was one of the few things in it I thought made sense.

I disagree. The whole ending of VII was about his resolution. "We've done all we could, let's go home proud".  Those are Cloud's own words.  They had saved the planet, and Cloud had gone through an entire story of change and self discovery.

Advent throws all that character development down the toilet, turning him into something that doesn't even come across as the Cloud from the end of the game.

Also, Cloud was not level anything in Advent Children.  A level is for the gamer, not the story.  The same way that Rufus did not literally shoot cloud with a shotgun, and Cloud didn't go collecting balloons on the Great Glacier.  :)
« Last Edit: 2013-03-05 09:16:53 by DLPB »