Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] Multiple mods and Modding Framework-The Reunion [R06f]  (Read 3007623 times)

Sora123masta

• View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98-Steam] Multiple mods - The Reunion (R03b)
« Reply #1125 on: 2015-03-06 01:43:54 »
Pft, just a package of tools for a machine. But no dang instructions whatsoever. xD

Bobby

• View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: 2015-03-06 04:41:51 »
"Piss about" isn't common American English, but similarly "dick around" is. You'll regularly hear people say "Quit dickin' around", etc.

KnifeTheSky77

• Somnambulistic Paraphile
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: 2015-03-06 05:07:47 »
Piss about doesn't sound like something a thuggish guy like Barrett would say, but I also don't speak British.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: 2015-03-06 05:20:58 »
Mess around isn't exactly "thuggish" either really. Most gruff people will use just as normal English as anyone else most of the time.  But Piss about is certainly something that would be said if he were British.  Making all speech conform to stereotypes ends up making it unrealistic.  I might make it mess around in both though.
« Last Edit: 2015-03-06 06:12:59 by DLPB »

Mcindus

• Artist, Modder, Musician.
    • View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
« Reply #1129 on: 2015-03-06 09:34:20 »
Mess around isn't exactly "thuggish" either really. Most gruff people will use just as normal English as anyone else most of the time.  But Piss about is certainly something that would be said if he were British.  Making all speech conform to stereotypes ends up making it unrealistic.  I might make it mess around in both though.

Oh who are we kidding... we all know it would be completely proper for Barrett to say (in American or British English)  "This 'aint no time to be F*ckin' off!"  Too bad, eh? ;)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: 2015-03-06 13:59:13 »
Perhaps....

"What are you up to this time, old boy?  This just won't do.  You can't go gallivanting off by yourself, it's dangerous! Heaven save us!"

JeffreyATW

• View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: 2015-03-07 19:58:28 »
I was also thinking of "screw around" instead of "mess around", which is probably closer to "piss about."

In other news, I'm fighting "Extreme Life form Hojo NA A" now. I don't know what "NA A" means at the end, but I was actually more curious as to why "Life form" is two words, and "form" is lowercase.

JeffreyATW

• View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: 2015-03-07 20:06:27 »
Also, Cloud just said "It's cool, Tifa." That sounds very much unlike him. Maybe just "It's all right, Tifa."?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: 2015-03-07 21:56:20 »
I was also thinking of "screw around" instead of "mess around", which is probably closer to "piss about."

In other news, I'm fighting "Extreme Life form Hojo NA A" now. I don't know what "NA A" means at the end, but I was actually more curious as to why "Life form" is two words, and "form" is lowercase.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_life_forms

Life form is usually 2 words and really should be (maybe should be caps given it is a title). I have no idea what NA is... but that's what it is.  Cloud could easily say "It's cool".  There are far too many "all right" in the game. I'm not against it, but it does get repetitive.
« Last Edit: 2015-03-07 22:10:27 by DLPB »

JeffreyATW

• View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: 2015-03-07 22:19:16 »
Off-screen bug with Yuffie dialog in the Great Crater - her "Farewell, Materia..." line when you're splitting up is off the left side of the screen.

JeffreyATW

• View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: 2015-03-08 00:15:32 »
Hooray, I beat it! Certainly made more sense and had more impact this time around. Thanks again the hard work of everyone involved!

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: 2015-03-08 05:20:27 »
Thank you for the walk through!  Much appreciated.

Salk

• View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: 2015-03-13 05:01:09 »
I am experiencing DLPB Reunion update withdrawal symptoms... :)

Yarow12

• I am the Epic awesome; I am the Awesom epic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: 2015-03-13 15:52:00 »
Piss about doesn't sound like something a thuggish guy like Barrett would say, but I also don't speak British.
Huh, I never thought of Barrett as thuggish. Now I'm really wondering what BS stereotypes a majority of the Japanese people believe about people of African descent.

I don't know the context (what was happening), so I am not in position to claim what a person of Barrett's character would say in that situation. That being said, he would probably say something along the lines of "This ain't no time to be screwin' around!" It's up to you to replace "screw" with an expletive or not.

(snip) Cloud could easily say "It's cool".  There are far too many "all right" in the game. I'm not against it, but it does get repetitive.
You could have him say "It's okay, Tifa."

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: 2015-03-13 18:23:48 »
Too many "okays" as well...  but maybe cool doesn't work any better.

As for Barrett, if you look at Advent Children, it does at least get the characters right.  You can see how he was meant to be portrayed and it is not thuggy.

KnifeTheSky77

• Somnambulistic Paraphile
    • View Profile
« Reply #1140 on: 2015-03-14 02:57:45 »
By thuggish, I was just implying that he looks like Mr. T with a machine gun for an arm, was the leader of a terrorist organization and used strong, improper English. I didn't know Barrett was Black, I thought he was more of a Mexican Brown. Shows how much I know

And there is a pretty big difference between a stereotype and an archetype, Square wasn't being racist - they wanted an intimidating, strong willed character from an intellectually simple background, he was a coal miner before he was a terrorist

Edit: You cannot tell me with a straight face that this character isn't the epitome of a gangster/thug
« Last Edit: 2015-03-14 03:09:11 by KnifeTheSky77 »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: 2015-03-14 17:38:47 »
I think the character art went too far, really.  Advent Children does a far better job in regards to the "look". 

I am currently working on Weapon...  it's a daunting task, because I am altering pretty much everything.  The first step is to reduce all HP and corresponding stats by 4x for both allies and enemies.  From there I'll reconstruct the game.

Sora123masta

• View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: 2015-03-14 17:55:54 »
Yeah I approve of the Advent Children style far more.  Wooo!!!

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: 2015-03-14 18:23:06 »
I think the character art went too far, really.  Advent Children does a far better job in regards to the "look". 

I am currently working on Weapon...  it's a daunting task, because I am altering pretty much everything.  The first step is to reduce all HP and corresponding stats by 4x for both allies and enemies.  From there I'll reconstruct the game.

Should I expect a damage calculation like in Dragon Quest?

Only as a random thought but we could make AC styled costumes as a reward for fulfilling tasks or quests. But Cloud shouldn't have the the halve coat style.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: 2015-03-14 18:31:22 »

This is the part of Reunion I've been looking forward to. A lower HP pool is a good idea, it's much easier to get things balanced up when there's less high numbers getting thrown around. I dunno about using multipliers to adjust stats though; I reckon you'd be better off re-doing them all from scratch, doing a 'rough draft' for an area's monsters (i.e. Midgar Escape) and then fine-tuning them as you do a playthrough of the 'draft' area.

But I got a question, what's your plan for the formulas and damage reducing effects like Barrier? Any changes there?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: 2015-03-14 18:54:21 »
It's all going to have to be trial and error until I realize what values are needed for it to work the way I want. Anything that needs to be changed will be.  For example, already I have made swords and punches worthless against mechanical enemies...  and firing weapons half effective.  But I want that to be 1/4 effective.. so half damage is likely going to become 1/4 damage to be more significant.

There will be a lot of changes...  but I make an effort to stick to the original game placements. Whenever that has to change, it will.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: 2015-03-14 19:56:03 »
For example, already I have made swords and punches worthless against mechanical enemies...  and firing weapons half effective.  But I want that to be 1/4 effective.. so half damage is likely going to become 1/4 damage to be more significant.

I'd be wary about doing that. Cloud, Barret, and Tifa (who use cut, hit, and shoot weapons) are your party for a majority of the Midgar Escape and a lot of enemies in the Sector 4 access, Reactors, and Shinra HQ are mechanical. You've also got early mechanical bosses like Air Buster whose main mechanic is that you try and hit him in the back; his AI sets his magic defence to 300+ or something like that (you'll need to adjust that if you enforce those weapon elemental immunities/resistances here).

I reckon mechanicals should just have higher physical defence as opposed to resistances for weapon elements; gives you that to fall back on if you don't want to burn all your MP on them. All that being said, it depends on how much HP these enemies have. If they're only taking 1-2 Bolts to put down, or if they can be mopped up with Barret's gun after a Bolt, then it should work out okay. Anything more would probably drain out too much MP to make it worthwhile.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: 2015-03-14 20:12:40 »
Everything is being changed, so it doesn't matter.  But the difficulty will be logical... mechanical enemies can bit hit by shots and certain magic, but not by punches or swords etc.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: 2015-03-15 01:47:48 »
I feel like a 6 foot 200lb sword would probably do some pretty good damage to anything mechanical, especially when it's wielded like a feather

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: 2015-03-15 08:04:39 »
I feel like a 6 foot 200lb sword would probably do some pretty good damage to anything mechanical, especially when it's wielded like a feather

The Buster Sword is supposed to be extremely light (no sword would be worth being a sword at 200 pounds), but the mod has to account for all swords and even the nail bat.  It's the principle of it. I could always make it 1/8 damage if that is needed.  I've never seen someone attack something metallic with a sword before... but I am willing to bet that it's largely ineffective.

And it's a myth that swords are ridiculously heavy

http://www.thearma.org/essays/weights.htm#.VQU-ES6PaUk

They are designed to be carried around and flexible enough to do damage to humans.
« Last Edit: 2015-03-15 08:10:42 by DLPB »