Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.99994)  (Read 4825596 times)

Alucard Chris

• View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v1.5)
« Reply #6550 on: 2018-01-08 20:31:45 »
The Masamune always crits, which also means that it never misses normally. It can be equiped by every character and will never lose power if you are low hp or mp and those are the trade offs for not dealing quite as much damage. I ended up using it pretty much from the time  got it until the final battle where i switched to all ultimate weapons. I feel like its one of the more balanced weapons in the mod. But thats just my opinion.

Right, but i thought it will be much stronger. No Option for me to equip cloud with it. Planned to make a fast heavy critter  ;D

Ayz

• View Profile
« Reply #6551 on: 2018-01-09 21:32:49 »
I'm running into an issue, even with NT1.5 being the only mod running, where everytime I try to revive Aerith at the end of Disc 1, I get a soft-crash. If I choose the option that skips the resurrection, the game continues normally. If I continue and then use Black Chocobo to add Aerith back to the party, would that cause any issues for the future? I'm not sure if there's a trigger with the rez screen that may be necessary later down the road.

SlumDrunk

• View Profile
« Reply #6552 on: 2018-01-10 01:37:25 »
Right, but i thought it will be much stronger. No Option for me to equip cloud with it. Planned to make a fast heavy critter  ;D

Have you tried with what I replied with earlier?
RedXIII under his limit level 3 buff which gives him berserk and STR+, with the right elemental materia and 4x cut. it's pretty good. If you don't want to wait for limit break use Fury Ring. Any DPSer with Fury Ring should be good with Masamune; RedXIII and Cid have better HP/Def overall so they survive better.

Cloud as physical dps is below average IMO, from what I have experienced.
« Last Edit: 2018-01-10 01:41:15 by SlumDrunk »

rosarioimpale

• View Profile
« Reply #6553 on: 2018-01-10 02:14:01 »
I'm having the same issue with the game crashing at the end of disc one. I'm running just the straight NT mod, not in 7th Heaven. Is there a fix anyone can suggest? I'm really enjoying the more balanced gameplay and I don't want to have to quit because the game can't get past this point. :(

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #6554 on: 2018-01-10 19:46:32 »
I'm running into an issue, even with NT1.5 being the only mod running, where everytime I try to revive Aerith at the end of Disc 1, I get a soft-crash. If I choose the option that skips the resurrection, the game continues normally. If I continue and then use Black Chocobo to add Aerith back to the party, would that cause any issues for the future? I'm not sure if there's a trigger with the rez screen that may be necessary later down the road.

The variables won't be set up properly and there's a failsafe to remove her again if it isn't on. The switch can be enabled on the Highwind through a debug NPC (found near the Chocobo Stables) but I'm a bit concerned about this crash you and Rosario are experiencing.

I'm having the same issue with the game crashing at the end of disc one. I'm running just the straight NT mod, not in 7th Heaven. Is there a fix anyone can suggest? I'm really enjoying the more balanced gameplay and I don't want to have to quit because the game can't get past this point. :(

I'll sort this out. Can you tell me the exact moment when the game breaks down? For instance, is it after the FMV, the boss fight, when the screen fades out on the scene, etc. That'll help me pinpoint the cause faster.

Also, are the two of you running the game through Steam or is it the 1998 'original' PC release?

Edit: I can't reproduce a crash on either version and this issue hasn't been reported until now. Have you both installed the flevel & scene hotfix patches?
« Last Edit: 2018-01-10 20:05:27 by Sega Chief »

rosarioimpale

• View Profile
« Reply #6555 on: 2018-01-11 04:33:57 »
The variables won't be set up properly and there's a failsafe to remove her again if it isn't on. The switch can be enabled on the Highwind through a debug NPC (found near the Chocobo Stables) but I'm a bit concerned about this crash you and Rosario are experiencing.

I'll sort this out. Can you tell me the exact moment when the game breaks down? For instance, is it after the FMV, the boss fight, when the screen fades out on the scene, etc. That'll help me pinpoint the cause faster.

Also, are the two of you running the game through Steam or is it the 1998 'original' PC release?

Edit: I can't reproduce a crash on either version and this issue hasn't been reported until now. Have you both installed the flevel & scene hotfix patches?

Looking at it, it looks like I downloaded the patches but somehow forgot to install them  :-[ I'll do that and report back if the issue continues. Thank you so much for the quick response! This mod has got me evangelizing to my friends who complain about how easy the vanilla game is. :)

Edit: Nope, still getting the crash. I'm playing on the 1998 release, and it pops up after Cloud uses the Phoenix Down on Aeris and the screen fades to black-- I get a soft crash and have the choice of debug or close application. :(
« Last Edit: 2018-01-11 04:45:25 by rosarioimpale »

Ayz

• View Profile
« Reply #6556 on: 2018-01-11 04:51:12 »
For when the crash happens:

Cloud uses the Phoenix Down and says a line about not having Lv4 Materia. As the music begins for the following scene, immediately after the screen flashes black, the game pauses on the first note of that music and hangs there indefinitely.

I am using 7th Heaven with the most recent release that's posted above. I'm assuming the hotfixes are included in that IRO, if they aren't, I don't know how to apply them. I have since pressed on and am at the part where I'm about to board the Highwind after leaving Junon. I learned that I can add Aerith back, but everytime I leave a building, she'll completely de-equip, so I replaced her with Vincent whom I built as a backup mage. I'll try to add her with the debug NPC when I hit that point.

This is the Steam version.
« Last Edit: 2018-01-11 06:18:11 by Ayz »

Alucard Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #6557 on: 2018-01-11 16:34:27 »
Have you tried with what I replied with earlier?
RedXIII under his limit level 3 buff which gives him berserk and STR+, with the right elemental materia and 4x cut. it's pretty good. If you don't want to wait for limit break use Fury Ring. Any DPSer with Fury Ring should be good with Masamune; RedXIII and Cid have better HP/Def overall so they survive better.

Cloud as physical dps is below average IMO, from what I have experienced.

That sounds great i will test it later, thx for the info  ;)

One thing that's concerning here is that you mention Limits aren't doing full damage from the back-row; NT doesn't have .exe modifications so the default Limits should be in place, which ignore Row. Are you playing with any other mods installed? On the 7H Iro version, people sometimes combine it with Menu Overhaul, etc. which activates an .exe that changes things around, resulting in a harder game overall.

I play the Game with a lot of other mods like Menu Overhaul, i use 7th heaven. It uses the ff7_mo.exe.
Do I played the whole game with a harder mode ?
« Last Edit: 2018-01-11 18:38:46 by Alucard Chris »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #6558 on: 2018-01-11 20:04:23 »

I think so; your Limits would have been weaker overall I think.

All right, I'll see what I can do.

Edit: The script seems fine; I still can't replicate the crash and I've seen others go past this point without encountering it.

What I'll do is create a special patch that gives a choice of either using the original scene or bypassing that particular cutscene completely. I'll upload that tonight. In the meantime, can I get a copy of both your save files? I want to check for rogue variables (that might explain why the issue has popped up for some but not for others; there might be a script flaw somewhere that messes with their values).

Edit2: That's the patches done, they're uploading just now. I made an flevel hotfix and an IRO; basically, when the scene concludes (assuming you picked to keep Aeris) you'll now see a choice box appear with the options 'Default Scene' or 'Skip Scene'. Default scene takes you to the original field screen where Cloud delivers his monologue (it'll be interesting to see if the crash occurs here, as the vars being used are almost identical). Skip Scene updates the vars appropriately then takes you to the Disc Swap/Save Game screen before carrying on (I included this in case Default Scene crashes as well).

Edit3:
Flevel: http://www.mediafire.com/file/9fn1g84rwlm1w89/NT%20Mod%20HotFix%20flevel%20Special.zip
IRO: http://www.mediafire.com/file/pi25bf05f05s351/FF7%20IRO%20Special.iro

These patches are only for people experiencing a crash in the last scene of Disc 1 when choosing to keep whatsherface.
« Last Edit: 2018-01-11 21:40:06 by Sega Chief »

rosarioimpale

• View Profile
« Reply #6559 on: 2018-01-12 02:24:32 »

What I'll do is create a special patch that gives a choice of either using the original scene or bypassing that particular cutscene completely. I'll upload that tonight. In the meantime, can I get a copy of both your save files? I want to check for rogue variables (that might explain why the issue has popped up for some but not for others; there might be a script flaw somewhere that messes with their values).

Sure thing. Here's the link: http://www.mediafire.com/file/49gct061cc967hf/save00.ff7

Hopefully this helps pin down what's going on. Thank you again!

Ayz

• View Profile
« Reply #6560 on: 2018-01-12 04:14:40 »
Hi Sega.

Thank you so much for taking the time to fix the IRO for me. I'll be testing it right now.

Here is a link to my save file.

Save 2 is right before the death scene. Save 3 is where I used Black Chocobo to try to add her, but it didn't work (and I'll be on the highwind shortly to test the debug NPC).

http://www.mediafire.com/file/qhxpff4j98xv8fd/save00.ff7

Edit: She doesn't appear to have revived when using the skip. I ran all the way to Icicle Lodge and she's nowhere to be found through PHS.

Edit2: This is my first playthrough of NT, so I'm assuming there may be criteria to her being usable again. Anyway, I tried through again with the default scene. That went through normally. I still don't see Aerith, so I'm going to play around and see if there is any unlock criterion.

Edit3: I tried the original IRO again to see if I could maybe get a different party comp to trigger the scene to switch, no dice switching Vincent for Tifa. I'm going to try once more switching out Yuffie.

Edit4: Yuffie was breaking it! I took out Jenova with Cid and Tifa and it progressed to the next scene and I can see Aerith laying on a bed which I have not seen yet. Aerith is now in the PHS screen immediately. God damn Yuffie. Don't ask me why that worked, but it did.
« Last Edit: 2018-01-12 05:29:46 by Ayz »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #6561 on: 2018-01-12 22:28:04 »

Cheers for the save file, sorry for the delay to your game but it looks Ayz has located the problem (hopefully). Do you have Yuffie in your party when you finish the section?

Edit4: Yuffie was breaking it! I took out Jenova with Cid and Tifa and it progressed to the next scene and I can see Aerith laying on a bed which I have not seen yet. Aerith is now in the PHS screen immediately. God damn Yuffie. Don't ask me why that worked, but it did.

So it's Yuffie? That's interesting, I wonder what could be going wrong there. I was checking the event logic rather than the character scripts; good find, thanks for letting me know.

Edit: Still can't replicate it with Yuffie in the party, and checking the scripts there's no oddities there save for hers being one of the longest out of all the characters. What I could try doing is forcing a party swap during the scene so that the next field loads with a different party, but I can't really see what's going wrong there.
« Last Edit: 2018-01-12 23:03:44 by Sega Chief »

rosarioimpale

• View Profile
« Reply #6562 on: 2018-01-12 22:38:41 »
Cheers for the save file, sorry for the delay to your game but it looks Ayz has located the problem (hopefully). Do you have Yuffie in your party when you finish the section?

Unfortunately, no. My party was Red XIII and Tifa... I had tried with Yuffie before and Cait Sith and Vincent, with no results prior to the flevel you posted earlier.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #6563 on: 2018-01-12 23:53:51 »
This is the adapted Flevel fix for the forgotten city problem:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ddu58m820ot8pgm/NT%20Mod%20HotFix%20flevel%20Special%202.zip

The previous one didn't add Aeris back in, embarrassingly; sorry about that. But rosario, try doing the fight without Yuffie if you had her in your party for the fight.

Ayz

• View Profile
« Reply #6564 on: 2018-01-13 00:02:12 »
Yeah, I wish I could help with the replication. I don't know if it's something that Yuffie had equipped (you have my save file), or what could have possibly caused the disconnect. I had tried the exact scenario with the Cloud/Vincent/Yuffie party 10+ times to no avail. On the patched IRO you sent, I never saw Aerith in the bed. It would zoom in on Cloud giving a very quick spiel to Barrett and Tifa, and then it would be back to the world map.

As you saw, even switching out Vincent did nothing. The only other thing I can think of is if it was the presence of Cid making it work and not the lack of Yuffie?

I have zero modding experience when I make this claim, but I'll give you my train of thought. If something about my comp was preventing the trigger of the Phoenix Down to make Aerith an allowable character, then her presence in the following scene would crash the game I would think.

I can't think of anything miraculous about my comp unless it was an item that Yuffie was wearing that I didn't end up putting on Cid. (Cid had no materia, the berzerker accessory, and his stock weapon/armor). I can't think of anything else that would have maybe prevented the Phoenix Down from actually being used (if that's actually a trigger).

I'd love to help you solve the issue, if you think of any questions, I'm more than happy to assist.

Edit: Is there anything about Cloud's script in that scene that changes depending on who is in the party? Anything about maybe the timeliness of him getting to Aerith to apply the Phoenix Down? It seems like Yuffie always goes last, and I'm aware of how long it takes her to weep zzzzzzzzzzz. I know you had to write the scene, so there's going to be some disconnect between what you wrote and what the actual scene is supposed to be and the triggers with them.
« Last Edit: 2018-01-13 00:09:12 by Ayz »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #6565 on: 2018-01-13 02:47:40 »
Yeah, I wish I could help with the replication. I don't know if it's something that Yuffie had equipped (you have my save file), or what could have possibly caused the disconnect. I had tried the exact scenario with the Cloud/Vincent/Yuffie party 10+ times to no avail. On the patched IRO you sent, I never saw Aerith in the bed. It would zoom in on Cloud giving a very quick spiel to Barrett and Tifa, and then it would be back to the world map.

As you saw, even switching out Vincent did nothing. The only other thing I can think of is if it was the presence of Cid making it work and not the lack of Yuffie?

I have zero modding experience when I make this claim, but I'll give you my train of thought. If something about my comp was preventing the trigger of the Phoenix Down to make Aerith an allowable character, then her presence in the following scene would crash the game I would think.

I can't think of anything miraculous about my comp unless it was an item that Yuffie was wearing that I didn't end up putting on Cid. (Cid had no materia, the berzerker accessory, and his stock weapon/armor). I can't think of anything else that would have maybe prevented the Phoenix Down from actually being used (if that's actually a trigger).

I'd love to help you solve the issue, if you think of any questions, I'm more than happy to assist.

Edit: Is there anything about Cloud's script in that scene that changes depending on who is in the party? Anything about maybe the timeliness of him getting to Aerith to apply the Phoenix Down? It seems like Yuffie always goes last, and I'm aware of how long it takes her to weep zzzzzzzzzzz. I know you had to write the scene, so there's going to be some disconnect between what you wrote and what the actual scene is supposed to be and the triggers with them.

The scene itself is mostly unaltered except for the end when it checks an if condition for a variable to execute one of two scripts on Cloud; revive and default. Yuffie's script has no anomalies save for triggering two additional scripts on Cloud (he plays an animation when Yuffie comes up to him) and it is also by far the longest script ran by party members here.

If the game is reaching the fadeout and playing the first note of the next scene's music, then that implies there's an infinite loop occurring in which the game cannot progress out of the Init scripts. There are 2-3 variables (including game progression var) in that screen which I'm going to test by activating/changing them then going into the scene.

The game can also break down if there are preload field instructions and the game instead jumps to a different field than the one expected (a hold over from the PSX version for avoiding long loading times in certain places) but I don't think one is used here.

Edit: Rather than test vars, I loaded up yours and Rosario's save files and played through the scene. The crash didn't occur, so I have to assume that the vars for the save files are also correct.

There's only two possible causes left; either some kind of memory/CPU issue (perhaps these two scenes are heavy on the system?) or an issue with the current flevel that's not present on my current flevel. I'll try patching my game with the flevel hotfix next.

Edit2: Current flevel hotfix seems OK as well; not sure what else I can check from here.
« Last Edit: 2018-01-13 03:19:02 by Sega Chief »

Ayz

• View Profile
« Reply #6566 on: 2018-01-13 03:27:17 »
It's possibly it's just a fluke then I suppose. My PC is less than a year old, with modern specs. I doubt PSX is pushing its boundaries lol. I hate to leave the mystery unsolved, but it does seem to be an issue with my configuration, although it is extremely odd that the party member swap fixed it. Thank you for your attention to detail with it, the new fix you pushed out should avoid any further issues with that in the future.

Kryalis

« Reply #6567 on: 2018-01-13 16:35:22 »
Yo, gotta a quick question. What is the name of Zack's battle model that this mod adds? I'm wanting to mod my files and are interested in replacing Zack's model with a higher res model, but I just need to know which one is his. Would you mind informing me?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #6568 on: 2018-01-13 17:39:30 »
Yo, gotta a quick question. What is the name of Zack's battle model that this mod adds? I'm wanting to mod my files and are interested in replacing Zack's model with a higher res model, but I just need to know which one is his. Would you mind informing me?

NXAA-NXDA

Delitta

• View Profile
« Reply #6569 on: 2018-01-13 21:46:36 »
          Yo Sega 3 questions bro Does it matter if I win all battles in junon braquets or is it the same as long I win first place?

I got a first place class B prizes So I dont know if thats class B if its becuz the second braquet or bcuz I only won 4 out of 6 fights

2nd question: I was told that to activate the new threats you have to go into the crater so you get a phone call and they get activated, however I did Lucrecias cave in disc 2 before fighting diamond and as soon as 3rd disc begins there is a highwind worker that already tells you about the new threats, my question is:  is it neccesary for me to go down the crator for them to activate? or did you activate them as soon as u hit disc 3 on this version 1.5 or maybe even before if you have the right characters on your party on disc 2 as happened with vincents?

3rd one is do you have a FAQS somewhere? I dont want to be asking questions that maybe u have already answered and waste ur time :(

P.D. ive been making the list of optional content and when is the soonest to attempt them if you want to use it, I will be updating it for my own,here is what I got so far
Optional content  order
Battle Speed Active: 3/4 speed

1st tier
Kalm 
When I did it:  I left the optional enemy here until after  I went to cosmo canyon and bought/gathered Items however you should be able to get him if not very underleveled, the turks battle however I did ASAP

2nd tier
Lost number safe/look alike Monster
You maybe able to do this ASAP if not just let it go and return later when you have the tiny bronco or even after wutai if you had that much problem with it but do it before hUGE materia train mission odin can KO the first fight +sneak attack and you save much time   

3nd tier level 40ish?
Wutai  materia thief part
Done ASAP
 Wutai Tower if you cant do it ASAP you woudl still be able not long for now
Done before Train huge materia mission or even before that I font remember exactly
Ancient forest items without the last chest/boss (breed a gold chocobo)
When I did it: ASAP

4th tier level 50
Submarine Turks
When I did it: Before Rocket huge materia

5th tier Level 60
Lucrecias Cave hard but not impossible level 60
Junon league Pugilist and brawler
When I did them: Before MIDGAR RAID

Shinras 65th floor Carry armor look alike
Level 65
When: you have to do it during midgar Raid

« Last Edit: 2018-01-15 06:52:00 by Delitta »

badeco

• View Profile
« Reply #6570 on: 2018-01-14 22:07:50 »
hi Sega , this  is  normal in NT 1.5?i just up video to confirm  >>  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq5gYsd3yxU&feature=youtu.be

Delitta

• View Profile
« Reply #6571 on: 2018-01-15 06:55:17 »
hi Sega , this  is  normal in NT 1.5?i just up video to confirm  >>  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq5gYsd3yxU&feature=youtu.be

It is normal  bro SPOILER I beat that one by summoning  I  think It only takes 2 or 3 I know I used Shiva I probably used bahamuth probably with mp turbo, he says thats cheating but dont worry its not like a warning he just says it

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #6572 on: 2018-01-15 08:11:08 »
          Yo Sega 3 questions bro Does it matter if I win all battles in junon braquets or is it the same as long I win first place?

No, it's a round-robin tournament based on points so depending on how the other matches turn out you can still win even if some of the matches were lost.

Yeah, that's normal; he's so fast he leaves after-images...kinda.

His evasion is top-notch so it takes some special tactics to beat him early; Limits can generally do it, or boosting your Luck stat as high as possible to land criticals. Like Delitta says, you can also use Summons to get through it.

SlumDrunk

• View Profile
« Reply #6573 on: 2018-01-15 15:17:01 »
[...]
His evasion is top-notch so it takes some special tactics to beat him early; Limits can generally do it, or boosting your Luck stat as high as possible to land criticals. Like Delitta says, you can also use Summons to get through it.

I was going through the Steal / Morph excel sheet and I was disappointed to know that it is >almost< impossible to Morph Shake with his max evasion. I don't know where else we can get the Sprint Shoes. I do this quest so early so I don't have much gear to pump luck.

He's Lv255 you can use L5 Suicide it's kind of funny.
« Last Edit: 2018-01-15 16:01:39 by SlumDrunk »

Kryalis

« Reply #6574 on: 2018-01-15 19:32:52 »