Author Topic: Possible downtime [April Fools]  (Read 12395 times)

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
Possible downtime [April Fools]
« on: 2006-04-01 09:44:31 »
It seems my current employer (a software company wishing to remain undisclosed) is having some issues with me maintaining and being involved in a reverse-engineering community, as it possibly violates my employment contract and/or NDA by putting me in a situation of conflicting interests regarding company policy and trade secrets. I am currently in negotiations trying to convince them there is no such conflict, but since legalese is not my primary language the outlook is not 100% optimistic.

Therefore you should all be aware there's a risk I might have to step down as administrator of this site and refrain from actively participating in the community, as the sad, financial motivated truth is that my job takes priority. However, this does not mean this site will end, as I've been talking with one of my Japanese friends about letting him take over as maintainer of Qhimm.com -- as a backup in case I need to back away on short notice. He will keep a purely passive role and not interfere directly with the current way of things; the other administrators and moderators of the forums will remain as usual. There shouldn't be any real problems, but if he needs to formally take over there might be a short downtime as the site is transferred to his account.

If you need to get a hold of him for site business (like custom ranks etc.) or just welcoming him aboard, you can reach him at [email protected].

EDIT: Yes, it's that time of year again. April Fools, though of course I wouldn't expect any of the regulars of this place to fall for such an easy one. ;)

Alhexx

• View Profile
    • http://www.alhexx.com
« Reply #1 on: 2006-04-02 15:36:00 »
For a "simple" april fool's joke that was a very long and well-formulated post... :D

- Alhexx

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
« Reply #2 on: 2006-04-02 16:37:43 »
Well there's no Japanese friend (obviously, given the name) and my employer isn't hassling me about anything, apart from expecting me to work in the weekdays (the nerve!). If they were really anal they probably could if they wanted to (potential conflict of interest with my contract and NDA, that much is true), but they're not so they don't. Or they don't know exactly what we do here. Hush, don't tell them! :P

Jedimark

• View Profile
Re: Possible downtime
« Reply #3 on: 2006-04-02 17:30:48 »
What is your job, out of curiosity?

Quote from: Qhimm
I wouldn't expect any of the regulars of this place to fall for such an easy one. ;)

No one gets me twice :isee:

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
« Reply #4 on: 2006-04-02 18:42:15 »
I'm a software developer at Opera Software, more specifically working with one of the versions of the Opera web browser for handheld devices. More than that I won't divulge, as I'm not 100% sure yet of what I'm allowed to divulge. :)

Jedimark

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006-04-02 21:24:22 »
Heh, I know the feeling :wink:

Flatline

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006-04-02 21:28:39 »
im not exactly a regular, so i kinda believed it till i read the last few words in small print.......

work for opera eh?

since you, i assume, know a good bit about opera or other web browsers...

whats better, firefox or opera?

:o

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006-04-03 03:07:54 »
I actually fell for this.  Nice one, Qhimm =)

Midgar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006-04-03 04:40:54 »
Wow, Qhimm, you work for Opera...
What do you excatly work on? Nothing too specific (ad blocking, interface, ect) :wink:

You had me with this April fool's joke, but I had ignore font... and it was already the second, But it was certainly well written.
You should have seen the OCR! It was huge, and idiots everywhere.

EXCELENT!

APOSEIGd15

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006-04-03 07:51:13 »
well at OCR, it was far more obvious, mostly because the new final fntasy 6 remix didnt really have any song review like djp usually puts up.  Also, leaving the torrents free and the direct downloads for pay was really pointless.  That one I got in a matter of minutes.  This one was really realistic.

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
« Reply #10 on: 2006-04-03 09:50:48 »
Quote from: Midgar
What do you excatly work on? Nothing too specific (ad blocking, interface, ect) :wink:

Nothing too specific, no. And very little of my work makes into the desktop browser, as I deal more with adapting older versions of the browser to run on more limited platforms.

atzn

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006-04-03 10:16:53 »
I've to admit the first paragraph does sound convincing... until the Japanese friend part - the name didn't sound right and gave it away I guess.

If there's a day when you shouldn't trust Qhimm it would be April the first.... :lol:

Anyway, can we have any idea when Opera 9 will be out?? :wink:

Alhexx

• View Profile
    • http://www.alhexx.com
« Reply #12 on: 2006-04-03 11:43:38 »
So, maybe now we should un-announce this topic, hm?

- Alhexx

ChaosControl

• ยค
    • View Profile
Re: Possible downtime [April Fools]
« Reply #13 on: 2006-05-23 07:28:27 »
I'm a software developer at Opera Software, more specifically working with one of the versions of the Opera web browser for handheld devices. More than that I won't divulge, as I'm not 100% sure yet of what I'm allowed to divulge. :)
This isn't by any coincidence the Opera browser they were talking about for the DS and Wii is it?

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
Re: Possible downtime [April Fools]
« Reply #14 on: 2006-05-23 15:01:28 »
This isn't by any coincidence the Opera browser they were talking about for the DS and Wii is it?
Yes and no. Yes it's the same Opera browser, no it's not the porting project I'm working on.