Author Topic: [FF7PC] 'Always Run' patch (2009-08-02)  (Read 18615 times)

obesebear

• View Profile
[FF7PC] 'Always Run' patch (2009-08-02)
« on: 2009-08-02 17:29:53 »
I recently stumbled across this thread from 2007 and thought some others around here might be interested in it as well.

I haven't tested it to see what all it is compatible with.  And I don't have any idea what he means about Aerith not catching Cloud.  But I for one always found it annoying to hold 'X' for the ENTIRE game

EDIT

Just to ensure compatibility with Aali's driver, use this link http://kruci.wz.cz/DefaultRun.rar.  This is the same patch designed by kruci, but set up for use with YAMP
« Last Edit: 2014-07-17 21:03:11 by Covarr »

Senti

• There's a fine line between insanity and ingenius
    • View Profile
    • Psychopathic Studios
Re: 'Always Run' patch
« Reply #1 on: 2009-08-02 17:44:59 »
It would be nice to change it to always run and hold cancel to walk for a change, would make it more like so many other games out there today (since you only walk during certain points). It does make it easier on the hands, especially for someone who's getting arthritis from being on a computer too damned much. Sometimes I hate my work heh.

JordieBo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009-08-02 17:46:46 »
It would be nice to change it to always run and hold cancel to walk for a change, would make it more like so many other games out there today (since you only walk during certain points). It does make it easier on the hands, especially for someone who's getting arthritis from being on a computer too damned much. Sometimes I hate my work heh.

Ugh!! I was just about to say that -_-
Aaanyway, so I take it this patch doesn't actually allow you to walk at all? I'm sure a patch like this wouldn't be difficult to make/edit. Only problems I would see would be random bugs you may encounter, such as running in cutscenes or something.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009-08-02 17:58:42 »
I will not be using any EXE patches unless Aali adds support for it to his driver. For now, I'll stick to my clean EXE.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009-08-02 18:12:33 »
I will not be using any EXE patches unless Aali adds support for it to his driver. For now, I'll stick to my clean EXE.
Actually you may want to check this out --> http://kruci.wz.cz/DefaultRun.rar
Dziugo turned it into a YAMP patch which does work with Aali's driver.

I just finished testing from the beginning to the first save point and everything is working PERFECTLY.  Even the cutscene where Cloud looks up at Shinra Tower he runs at the correct/normal speed.

If anyone is already using YAMP, there really is no reason not to use this patch

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009-08-02 18:14:15 »
I haven't touched YAMP before. Now might be a good time to start, I guess. :) Thanks for the link.

Lionfist

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009-08-02 19:21:38 »
Oo there was an extra option ingame for always running if im not a complete idiot.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009-08-02 19:33:59 »
Oo there was an extra option ingame for always running if im not a complete idiot.
Not for 7.  I think FF8 had an option.  And I'm almost positive FF9 did.  But not poor ol' FF7

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009-08-02 19:44:58 »
Yeah, FF7 was their testing ground to figure out what they were doing with the PSX.

But at least it didn't have the same awful default controls as FF8, instead opting to replicate the SNES FF games' control layout. Seriously, circle for menu in FF8? What were they thinking?

Lionfist

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009-08-02 20:07:51 »
Put the controller on memorize ingame... i think that did it, im actually quite positive about that.
Can't test it cus i have visit until tomorrow  :-D

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009-08-02 20:08:48 »
FF8's controls are good after you customize them. It's just the default controls that are stupid. And the PC version makes it a pain in the butt to change them.

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009-08-02 20:39:22 »
Put the controller on memorize ingame... i think that did it, im actually quite positive about that.
Can't test it cus i have visit until tomorrow  :-D

If you mean it made you always run then I'll have to correct you - no it didn't.

Using this patch, hold in "X" to walk. The default is run.

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2009-08-02 21:56:30 »
I thought I read somewhere that this patch was "discontinued" for some reason.... I can't imagine why, though...

Opine

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2009-08-02 22:33:58 »
I remember reading it was discontinued as well, in the YAMP thread. I'm not sure why. I do remember there being an issue with certain scenes where you aren't supposed to run (i.e. if you run instead of walking you can't do certain things). I don't know if that was resolved.
If it's not discontinued, though, that's a good thing!

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2009-08-02 22:46:57 »
The one Dziugo created was discontinued because things like the Squat Game in the gym, and spinning the clock in the Temple of Ancients, and Tifa's escape from the gas chamber wouldn't work without ALOT of trial and error.

Kruci's patch fixes all of that, so dziugo opted to UNrelease his.

drfeelgud88

• da DOC iz here!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #15 on: 2009-08-02 23:52:02 »
sooo... is the archive u have on ur 1st post good to use or not? lol

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2009-08-03 00:16:15 »
sooo... is the archive u have on ur 1st post good to use or not? lol
Just to ensure compatibility with Aali's driver, use this link http://kruci.wz.cz/DefaultRun.rarThis is the same patch designed by kruci, but set up to use with YAMP

drfeelgud88

• da DOC iz here!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #17 on: 2009-08-03 04:30:20 »
tested this patch, working like a charm (so far)  :-D

Opine

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2009-08-03 14:54:41 »
Thanks for reposting the link and clarifying things. I hadn't been making use of this, because I didn't realize there was a newer version.
Happy camper.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2009-08-15 23:36:36 »
I'm finally playing through the game a little and noticed when trying to 'secretly escape' from Aerith's house, if you press X (which will make you walk) she will catch you.

So instead, just run right down the stairs  :-P

drfeelgud88

• da DOC iz here!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #20 on: 2009-08-16 04:11:56 »
I'm finally playing through the game a little and noticed when trying to 'secretly escape' from Aerith's house, if you press X (which will make you walk) she will catch you.

So instead, just run right down the stairs  :-P

also, when ur doing the shinra marching thing @ the parade in Junon, you have to hold down CANCEL to march; furthermore, watch out in the cave of the GI. on the gooey, stuff, run (not holding CANCEL) thru it :)
« Last Edit: 2009-08-26 05:53:57 by drfeelgud88 »

MilesTailsPrower

• S.A.S. Leader & Founder
    • View Profile
    • Sexy Action Squad - Website (in dev)
« Reply #21 on: 2009-08-26 02:23:44 »
After Request by "obesebear" ive added this mod to the hosting incase the link goes dead,
link can be found here http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=8306.1275