Author Topic: Final Fantasy X Is Being Remade For PlayStation 3 And Vita  (Read 40084 times)

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy X Is Being Remade For PlayStation 3 And Vita
« Reply #75 on: 2011-09-26 13:29:28 »
loldrama

As for the topic at hand, at best this'll be upscaled for 720p/1080p and might have some updated UI elements being that it's the current trend, the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection due out in November is just upscaled with improved UI artwork and a few other tweaks for controls, as are the recent Splinter Cell and Resident Evil 4/Code Veronica "HD" releases.

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #76 on: 2011-09-26 13:57:50 »
I honestly think FFX is worse than XII. Some people say that Lost Odyssey was the "true" FF12. Some people honestly thinks FF7 is the worst game ever (try to google it).
There will always be diverged opinions on just about everything. I could go on and on arguing why 12 is better than 10, but it's not worth it. If we talk about content, FF11 is probably the best FF (no, no that was a joke).  ;D

Will I buy FF10 again? no.

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 2011-09-26 14:56:09 »
Not sure if it's true or not but..

http://techdeville.com/2011/09/23/final-fantasy-x-for-the-ps3-and-ps-vita-will-be-a-proper-remake/

So just abandon remaking FF's 5-9 first? I don't believe that at all.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #78 on: 2011-09-26 18:16:31 »
The problem is, you can't do critical evaluation on subjective matters.

Not? Really? Then what are art critics or movie critics or game critics doing? Lying out their asses? Have you recently won a dummy emmy?

Jaitsu

• DON'T FWOOSH ME BRO
    • View Profile
    • Jaitsu Studios
« Reply #79 on: 2011-09-26 19:46:12 »
i'm gonna speak once, and then not again because i don't feel like getting into an idiotic flame war.

it isn't that everyone else is a fanboy, the problem is you are, and can't understand that not everyone likes the same damn thing as you.

i personally loved FFXIII, go ahead, insult me, see if i care (hint: i don't), you can like an old school game, but when it gets to the point that the company isn't going in the direction you want, and you start calling out people that enjoy the games they're given out, it just makes you look sad.

go ahead, insult my opinion, just call me "another fanboy" i honestly don't care, all i ever see Kuugen doing is insulting peoples opinions on this when they conflict his own, a little less so for DLPB but i digress.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 2011-09-26 19:58:03 »
A fanboy doesn't make arguments for and against games in the same series, he makes excuses for the ones that are bad, and buys almost anything the company throw out.

Those are the differences.

tbh I am not sure fanboyism is the be all and end all of this problem.  I place it down to a severe lack of taste and/or the lack of ability to approach it with a technical mind.  I had 1 guy who placed FF7 as the worst FF and FF12 as his best...  as you can expect I didn't exactly appreciate his "opinion" and called him bonkers.

I wouldn't classify him as a fanboy because he hated FF7 and loved 12...  therefore he wasn't just sucking up to the series.  His problem was he was bonkers and had bad taste...  to be fair, most of the FF fanboys are either in the FF6 or FF7 camp (although the 12 and 13 camp is growing)
« Last Edit: 2011-09-26 20:42:49 by DLPB »

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #81 on: 2011-09-26 22:28:55 »
Remember, everyone: insult the position, not the person.

Also,

"I didn't mind the new political story, I don't like all that character development stuff"

This gets me onto something else: where did this idea come about that FFXII had a particularly 'political' story? It's true there's a lot of talk about certain kingdoms and empires doing the odd bit of posturing, and heading each other off whilst trying to avoid overt war, but we're talking about some pretty basic stuff here - it's hardly Yes, Minister.
« Last Edit: 2011-09-27 20:32:54 by Bosola »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 2011-09-27 03:12:25 »
Yes, Minister is class (and so is the follow up Yes, Prime Minister) ;)  [as is The New Statesman"]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZpLE2QYafM  Classic.

I think the idea came about because advocates of it being a great game were remaking the Emperor's New Clothes.  In my experience, most times a story is called "Deep" it is really either a convoluted mess people have mistook for intelligent or else has nothing there but a very vague pseudo plot.

And that is XII... pseudo politics.  Very basic.  Some times I get a defender who tells me that a story doesn't need character development, and whilst that can be true in some circumstances, it sure isn't in a proper novel or in what is supposed to be a good RPG story.  If you don't care for what is going on to the characters you can't care for the story or place yourself into a story emotionally.  It is critical. 

In XII because we can't care for these cardboard characters, nothing that happens means anything..  We hear of this horrible empire but we never really feel it or have any care for this boring world.

I am always extremely wary when I see the word deep.
« Last Edit: 2011-09-27 03:37:23 by DLPB »

Armorvil

• Working on : FFVII Total Grudge
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 2011-09-27 10:07:20 »
Not? Really? Then what are art critics or movie critics or game critics doing? Lying out their asses? Have you recently won a dummy emmy?

They just try to explain their opinion, without the pretention to hold the absolute truth. When they say they prefer oranges over apples, they try to explain why, but don't imply that people who prefer apples are mentally deficient. There is your difference.
« Last Edit: 2011-09-27 10:13:53 by Armorvil »

msifreakster

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 2011-09-27 16:18:09 »
They just try to explain their opinion, without the pretention to hold the absolute truth. When they say they prefer oranges over apples, they try to explain why, but don't imply that people who prefer apples are mentally deficient. There is your difference.

This is the root of it right here. Thank you Armorvil, you nailed it.  I couldn't find a proper way to describe what I have been seeing.

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 2011-09-27 21:14:05 »

This. Multiplied by five million.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 2011-09-27 21:57:39 »
What absolute bollocks.  An analogy between apples and oranges and FF games?

Absurd.

Desperation springs to mind. That isn't a decency analogy at all.
« Last Edit: 2011-09-27 22:10:44 by DLPB »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 2011-09-27 22:18:04 »
What he's getting at is that the newer FF games are so different from the old ones, there's not even a decent comparison to be made. Gambits and paradigms are more of a metagame, and much less actively involved.

But the bigger point, which you seem to have missed, is this bit:
they try to explain why, but don't imply that people who prefer apples are mentally deficient. There is your difference.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #88 on: 2011-09-27 22:53:36 »
From where I stand, about 90% of the people I see, meet and know are mentally deficent to the point where I wonder how they go on living without forgetting to breath.
Enjoy your subjective standard of mental deficiency

DarkFang

• Pirate
  • Ponies! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 2011-09-27 23:21:16 »

/thread

-Ric-

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: 2011-09-27 23:50:20 »
Final Fantasy 12 battle's system wasn't as bad as some people make it sound.. ye gambits do most of the work but in some battles u HAVE to go manually or  u will end up meeting the gameover screen.. besides there are TONS of combinations for gambits... its a very different system when comparing it to the previous FF's but its not a bad one... the only thing that felt bad about FF12 to me was the story.. and the fact that all characters seem to be able to do the exact same things.. no diversity at all... however like i posted before, the international version with the job system totaly fixes that and makes the game 20 times more fun...

also ye.. 1 game can't satisfy every1... either u like it or u don't.. if u don't like it, just stay away from it.. mocking people who enjoy it wont make it any better

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 2011-09-28 02:47:18 »
I was drunk when I wrote that  :o  nonetheless I will stick by it :P  I have said my piece on it.  Peace out people.  :mrgreen:  I think we all know where we stand on the issue.  I am only annoyed that I believe Squenix games will continue to stay stagnated, that's my only gripe.
« Last Edit: 2011-09-28 02:55:39 by DLPB »

Template

• Life is a series of cats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 2011-09-28 04:15:41 »
ill probably buy a ps3 because of this, if it really happens. especially if its just a hd remaster of same exact graphics. i have played this game a lot, and i still really enjoy it.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 2011-09-29 16:55:46 »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO86hl1g6CA

on topic :)  at least as far as FFX is concerned.  Shame about sound quality.

oh and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3dmDWFM0ms
« Last Edit: 2011-09-29 17:00:18 by DLPB »

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 2011-09-29 17:12:15 »
Loved those soundtracks my fave would be from ffxiii and certain ones from ff6 and ffx also has some good ones

KaidenJames

• It's cuz of the !@#$ 'pizza'
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 2011-10-21 04:23:51 »
Don't know if I will get this. I rather enjoy playing X on a PS2 emulator. And the game looks amazing compared to an actual PS2. And for a remake, I would really prefer IX. That is one of my favorite FF's. And honestly we pretty much have an FF7 remake courtesy of Qhimm.com  :). IMO it keeps the old feeling with a lot of nice new stuff thrown in.

Auraplatonic

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 2011-10-21 06:47:09 »
I think that my general thought about the series is that I have liked all the titles but the difficultly has generally went down since IV.  From an accessibility perspective I guess that you would not want to make it too hard, and there are always the "No item" or "Low level" challenges or whatnot a player can aim for...I just feel like you should be able to get everything the game has to offer and still be able to have some difficulty.  I think it says something about the difficulty of a game if you can beat it at the lowest level, or with no materia in the case of FF7. 

Ishtaria

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 2011-10-21 08:27:03 »
I pretty much agree with everything that DLPB has said apart from his opinion on XII. I think it's a fantastic game that was unfortunately strangled by a poor plot. But anyway.

I just don't understand the claims over the time needed to reproduce VII. 3-4 years for a brand new game yes. That includes designing and concept art from scratch, coming up with the plot and script etc from a blank page. VII doesn't need any of that. Heck, there's no need to change the kernel or any of the other systems. All of the non-cosmetic content is already there and so is all of the base work for the graphical content.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 2011-10-21 15:56:00 »
The time they talk about is the time it will take to make the game have a thousand non needed cut scenes that last for ages.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 2011-10-21 17:26:26 »
I pretty much agree with everything that DLPB has said apart from his opinion on XII. I think it's a fantastic game that was unfortunately strangled by a poor plot. But anyway.

I just don't understand the claims over the time needed to reproduce VII. 3-4 years for a brand new game yes. That includes designing and concept art from scratch, coming up with the plot and script etc from a blank page. VII doesn't need any of that. Heck, there's no need to change the kernel or any of the other systems. All of the non-cosmetic content is already there and so is all of the base work for the graphical content.
If they remade FF7, they'd probably keep fairly faithful to the story but bump up the visual fidelity to FFXIII standards. To do this, they'd need the following:
  • Entirely new character and enemy models, including extensive animations
  • Entirely new environments, with content on all sides to work with free camera (no 2D backgrounds)
  • FMVs either remade or re-done in-engine (no damn reason to use FMVs for elevators anymore).
  • Voice acting
  • Orchestrated soundtrack
  • Either a new engine, or porting FF7 mechanics to Crystal Tools (including a fair number of minigames)
  • New dialogue (even required if they're keeping faithful to the original, as there are a fair number of issues even in the original Japanese version that they'd need to fix)
  • New translations
The thing is, the graphical stuff takes a lot of time and a lot of money to do if you're aiming for the level of quality visuals that FFXIII had. The cosmetic stuff and programming are the two biggest parts, and both things that would need significant reworking for a modern release.

Based on Final Fantasy III DS, IV DS, and IV Complete Collection, I have a fair amount of faith in Square-Enix to make a reasonably faithful remake; they usually save their shitty new ideas and unnecessary cutscenes for entirely new projects. However, even a GOOD remake that is purely cosmetic and still true to the story, gameplay, and overall feel of the original would require a TON of work. Honestly, concept art, plot, and script are among the fastest parts of building a game, compared to actually implementing it.