Author Topic: PSX TIM Converter??  (Read 10181 times)

Ragna

• View Profile
PSX TIM Converter??
« on: 2007-10-10 21:46:51 »
Is there any program/tool to convert PSX TIM files into BMP and from BMP to TIM?

I've searched a lot, and didn't found nothing in the forums, and all programs/tools that
I have found by googling just don't read the PSX TIM files, don't know why (even if they are supposed to read them).

Thank you so much!!
Please, someone!! >_<U
« Last Edit: 2007-10-10 21:49:49 by Henkäys Ikuisuudesta »

Cyberman

• View Profile
Re: PSX TIM Converter??
« Reply #1 on: 2007-10-10 23:10:02 »
Is there any program/tool to convert PSX TIM files into BMP and from BMP to TIM?

I've searched a lot, and didn't found nothing in the forums, and all programs/tools that
I have found by googling just don't read the PSX TIM files, don't know why (even if they are supposed to read them).

Thank you so much!!
Please, someone!! >_<U
I fear you have just stepped into one of those dangerous places.
TIM's have a number of strange properties.
First they can have up to 32 palettes per bitmap (4 or 8 bit).
The is NO qualification for what pixels belong to what palette. It is not specified in any way shape or form.
Therefore all use of the palettes are APPLICATION SPECIFIC.
This means that although you can convert a BMP to a TIM you cannot convert a TIM to a BMP if it has more than one palette.
However, the problem gets WORSE.  Not only is the TIM with a palette application specific. TIM's without a palette are application specific as well. Especially 16 bit TIM's.  It is perfectly valid to have palettes as part of the TIM bitmap for a 16bit TIM and use those palettes to decode 8 or 4 bit data inside the TIM (that is supposedly 16bit). I've seen ALL of these done. The latter is done in FF9. The former is done in FF7.

If you plan on modifying TIM images you might be better off using a custom application specifically for modifying a TIM or do a lot of massaging of the data otherwise.

Cyb

Ragna

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007-10-11 12:09:00 »
Well, so... Do you know about any application/tool for editing/working with FF7 TIM files?

Anyone wrote something for that?

It seems really hard, huh..?

*sigh* -_-U

Well, thank you for the info.

P.D.: Me and my PC are safe so I'm lucky xD
But yeah, I was so frustating on searching something for PSX TIM files.. u.uU

kruci

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007-10-11 13:10:14 »
I found this
Photoshop plugin(I dont have photoshop....)
http://www.romhacking.net/utils/450/

and I have program Tim util
http://www.lea-vogel.de/download/22timplug.zip
which I tested with TIM whitch is in PC version. And TIM -> BMP -> TIM, generated same TIM.

scmark15

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007-12-10 09:16:56 »
I found this program awhile back and translated it into english. It's called YURI. It can search and view most TIM files within other files. It can also save them as BMP or TIFF files individually or all at once. Not sure if this is the kind of thing you were looking for though...
http://www.geocities.com/scmark15/yuri.html

*Modified*
Note: the version of the program I have is not one you can find on the net very easily. The version commonly found is 0.99c, and the version I have and translated is 0.99e.

I removed the program. If you'd like a copy just drop me an email: [email protected]
« Last Edit: 2008-01-16 22:39:26 by scmark15 »