Author Topic: Joystick: Reconizing Buttons Over 10  (Read 4059 times)

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
Joystick: Reconizing Buttons Over 10
« on: 2014-07-19 22:41:27 »
i have recently set up sixad for using my dualshock 3 as my main joystick. everything works nicely except that the X O [] /\  and L1, R1 , R2, L2 start At button # 11 . And FF7 does not reconize any joystick buttons over number 10. With out remaping does anyone know if / how we can fix ff7 so that it can registar buttons higher then 10? One other nice thing would be if we could bind two keys to one input (i.e UP to both the Dpad up and Analog Stick up ) .

The last annoyance with FF7 for most users now is input config . What Can we do to fix this. 

(sorry my net is flaky so im not on irc as a result.)

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
Re: Joystick: Reconizing Buttons Over 10
« Reply #1 on: 2014-07-19 23:29:52 »
Does we knew what these cryptically symbols stand for in input confic? If so we could ask Iros to give 7th Heaven an interface for key/button mapping.

falkTX

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2014-07-20 00:38:35 »
Hi, sixad author here.

What I usually do for FF8 is map keys to the sixaxis buttons.
FF8-PC/Steam does not have analog input or force-feedback/vibration, so we lose nothing by using such mapping.

Here's the config I use for FF8-Steam:
http://kxstudio.sourceforge.net/Paste/repo/iN4Tm

save it as /var/lib/sixad/profiles/default

EDIT: Just realized you mentioned FF7 instead of FF8. hmm, well, the config should not be that different.
qtsixa has a built-in tool to do the key mapping visually, try it I guess
« Last Edit: 2014-07-20 00:40:46 by falkTX »

sithlord48

• View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #3 on: 2014-07-20 15:00:14 »
EDIT: Just realized you mentioned FF7 instead of FF8. hmm, well, the config should not be that different.
qtsixa has a built-in tool to do the key mapping visually, try it I guess

would that will bind to the keyboard buttons?  i would prefer joystick buttons I don't want to press buttons in the application that has focus (not always FF7 but it always responds to input from joystick).  Is there a way to remap the buttons the on the controller (i.e make X button #1, etc..).  if not can you point me to where in the code i might want to look so i can change it there. one other question is it possible to have sixad toggle analog mode? for example if i were to press the ps button for 3 seconds it could toggle the analog sticks being on ? this would be nice for times i wish to use the dpad instead of the analog stick and the application doesn't support manual mappings.

sithlord48

• View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #4 on: 2014-07-20 18:11:24 »
would that will bind to the keyboard buttons?
yes they are keyboard button presses.

I have made an ff7 config file that should work with defalut  controls. feel free to include it with sixad if you want

Code: (~/.qtsixa2/profiles/Final Fantasy VII) [Select]
# Input - "Final Fantasy VII", by "sithlord48"
key_select 74
key_l3 0
key_r3 0
key_start 76
key_up 72
key_right 77
key_down 80
key_left 75
key_l2 71
key_r2 79
key_l1 73
key_r1 81
key_tri 78
key_cir 96
key_squ 83
key_cro 82
key_ps 0
axis_left_type 2
axis_left_up 80
axis_left_right 77
axis_left_down 72
axis_left_left 75
axis_right_type 0
axis_right_up 0
axis_right_right 0
axis_right_down 0
axis_right_left 0
axis_speed 1

FF7 Bug? i see by mapping the up/down /left /right to more then one place it only reconizes the analog stick and not the d pad buttons. i can still use the numpad on the keyboard to move and the presses are detected correctly in other applications. Any idea what could be causing this?

falkTX

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2014-07-20 22:53:43 »
there is something weird that prevents the usage of analog and regular direction buttons at the same time.
disable analog if you want the regular direction buttons.

I'm not very interested on keep working on qtsixa though.
With the release of the ps4, the linux kernel has been slowly getting official support for ps3 and ps4 joystick (including leds and rumble).
Very soon qtsixa will not be needed to get them working, it's just a matter of time.

I tested 3.15 kernel recently, the sixaxis now has rumble when plugged in via USB.
BlueZ should have official ps3/ps4 joystick support very soon, there are already patches for it.

sithlord48

• View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #6 on: 2014-07-21 13:32:41 »
Figures as I have finally got a new Bluetooth adaptor that works correctly with sixad. Native kernel support will be nice.  Its strange because in a terminal both the analog and d pad generate the same input . xev reports it all correct but in game it does not work.