Author Topic: Great Dev Interview about making FF7  (Read 4405 times)

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
Great Dev Interview about making FF7
« on: 2017-01-09 19:26:20 »
found this nice story on polygon .

http://www.polygon.com/a/final-fantasy-7

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: Great Dev Interview about making FF7
« Reply #1 on: 2017-01-09 19:45:45 »
Thanks for this.  I'll give it a really good read later.  Already looks fascinating from the little i've read.

Maki

• 0xBAADF00D
  • 0xCCCCCCCC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2017-01-09 20:02:07 »
I wonder what would happen if they let Electronic Arts to do the PC port instad of Eidos.  :o

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2017-01-09 22:19:57 »
Hiroshi Kawai
Character programmer, Square Japan
What I heard was Nintendo said, “If you’re leaving us, never come back.

HAHAHAHA!

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2017-01-09 23:32:24 »
The bit with Eidos is interesting; they say they had to re-write 80% of the game's code to make it work. Maybe explains the sound thing.

Also:
Keith Boesky
President, Eidos (1997-1999)
"…The funny thing is, I got a call [a couple years ago] from Square, because they wanted to rerelease the PC version, and they asked me if I knew where the gold master was. [Laughs] I left the company in 1999. What am I gonna do with that? 'Oh yeah, you know, it’s right here in my desk drawer. That big box that I carried out? Yeah, I was carrying the gold master and all the source. Let me just give it to you.' Yeah, they lost it."

:3

Roden

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2017-01-20 12:48:12 »
The bit with Eidos is interesting; they say they had to re-write 80% of the game's code to make it work. Maybe explains the sound thing.

Also:
:3

Yeah, that's not uncommon.. look at the disaster that was Silent Hill 2/3 HD port..

I think most here would know most of the stuff in that article, not much new I think - unless they showed more of the prototypes in the videos, I didn't check those.. (now that would be interesting)

Fischkopf

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2017-01-22 20:54:18 »
Yeah, that's not uncommon.. look at the disaster that was Silent Hill 2/3 HD port..

I think most here would know most of the stuff in that article, not much new I think - unless they showed more of the prototypes in the videos, I didn't check those.. (now that would be interesting)

Most companies didn't care about preserving source code and assets back then. They didn't realize they may be producing classics that people still talk about even 20 years later.