Author Topic: FF7 and Related Tools and Mods With Wine  (Read 13031 times)

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
FF7 and Related Tools and Mods With Wine
« on: 2009-08-29 18:09:46 »
I have created this thread to have a place to discuss the use of FF7 and different customizing tools with wine,
this can not only apply to linux,freebsd and solaris but mac os using darwine, and newer versions of windows (i.e vista) using wine for compatibility mode. Topic would be to include: Programs related to FF7 and it's moding and customizing On wine , what works, what needs to be installed to make it.

if you don't have wine and would like to use it you can get it from
Wine On Linux ,Freebsd or Solaris
Wine On Mac Os X
Wine On Windows

note: results are from mixed wine version some as old as wine 1.1 . if you notice a program needing updating please report it to me .

Final Fantasy 7 And Wine
FF7 From a Clean Install Does Not Run On wine please see this post for set up info:

My Quick Set up guide (link fixed)

Mods(with installers)
saints hi-res mode: OK!
NPC Res. Project: made files ok but needed Special attn(see:Tools->Lgptools)
Team Avalanche GUI (beta 9): OK!
Final Fantasy VII Phoenix Rejuvenation Project: OK!
Covarr's FF7 Music Installer: OK! (use this for ff7 music)
FF7 Tools

Lgptools:MOSTLY! (better off compiling aali's on linux)
             does everything but make an lgp file, Use aali's lgp/unlgp instead
             Error:To many files

aali's lgp /unlgp:OK!
              works very good if you compile it (i created an installer for this with both a win32 and linux versions. see here)

Kimera091:NO!
               Can not get it to run after getting runtime needed (vb6run w/ winetricks)
               Runtime Error '-2147417848 (80010108)': Automation Error
               wine spits out errors fixme errors.
Aeris:NO!
         Causes a crash reporting errors in gdiplus and gdi32 (with gdiplus from winetricks)

Wallmarket:NO!
           Runs Major Gui Issues (.net 3.5 needed)
Biturn: OK!
         Not sure if its needs anything special but it just ran when i got to testing it

Leviathan:OK
         Not Sure if it needs anything special but it just ran when i got to testing it.

YAMP:NO!
         can't run a .bat file... perhaps i am just unaware of how to do so w/ wine (try to run it from the wine CMD program might work )

Save Editors

Jenovia: OK!
        works fine w/ wine might needs vc run time 6 installed first.

FF7charedit: OK!
        Worked when i got to testing it

FF7saveedit "german save editor": OK, w/gfx glitches!
         Worked when i got to testig it, had to minimize and restore window to fix some display issues.

Black Chocobo:OK!
         Works just fine nothing special needed in wine (native versions for linux/mac also)

Other

7th Heaven  - MOSTLY BROKEN
        This program is by Iros and is fairly new (v 1.021 tested), its a simple mod manager that can download and manage mods in ff7 in a similar way that aali's driver does. using 7thHeaven to mod the game does not edit the orringal files but instead uses an injection method to intercept calls from FF7 to the lgp files and provide new resources. This is a really cool idea and may become the defacto install method for future mods in FF7 PC. it saddens me that its mostly broken atm (hopefully this will improve as the program becomes more stable and wine improves )

Requires: VC++ 2010 Runtimes and MSVCR100D.DLL and MSVCP100D.DLL to run.

what works:
       the gui comes up
       Settings are detected correctly (other then assuming the modpath of bootleg)
       subscriptions can be updated but takes unNaturally long time to proform the update (around 5 min) download box does not autoclose (could be normal behavor for the earily version tested)

what does not:
         Unable to Download mods , attempting gets instant Download failed in notification section. Gui Is a bit mangled box titles are shifted up to high and other little things like that. The download box does not show any progress while updating subscriptions.

Did not test local mods or launching because i was unable to download them via the program and it will not launch ff7 without mods enabled (i suspect it will launch just fine if you did get mods installed)

Well this is all i have Tested for now, i will update when i get more info

« Last Edit: 2013-08-04 16:42:17 by sithlord48 »

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: FF7 and Related Tools With Wine
« Reply #1 on: 2010-02-24 17:20:12 »
Something of a necropost, but I believe this should remain an active topic.

I'm currently running Kubuntu (KDE Window Manager) and Windows in a dual-boot config, but would like, long term, to migrate to Linux. However, several tools leave me stuck in windows - such as the modding tools I am currently using.

The performance is mixed. Meteor, which I could never get running in Windows, seems to work just fine, although I haven't used in extensively, and I haven't used it to work on a LGP in WINE, reintroduce it to the ISO, and play. Hojo appears to work just fine, at least for changing names and saving (although I haven't fully tested this). Lasyan's Hack'7 works, his kernel text editor, alas, does not, so you're stuck to using a hex editor in Wine for kernel tweaking, unless either .net 3.5 support is upcoming, or some new application appears that isn't dependent upon it.

Wine, in its current state, won't work with .NET 3.5, which is what most of NFITC1's programs, I believe, have to work with, being written in Visual Basic.
« Last Edit: 2010-02-24 19:17:18 by Bosola »

Izban

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010-02-24 18:32:23 »
has anyone tryied using mono http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mono_%28software%29 for the .net programs as it would give some .net support to wine would it not

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 2010-02-24 19:26:18 »
I had heard of Mono. But I thought you need to source code of the application that you want to port in order to use it - that it just let you compile your .net projects to (sorta) work on Linux. Or have I misunderstood?
« Last Edit: 2010-02-24 19:29:20 by Bosola »

sithlord48

• View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #4 on: 2010-02-24 22:35:50 »
i don't use mono. and will avoid any thing that requires it like the plague.

as for a hex editor..
Code: (run in konsole (alt+f2 for runbox)) [Select]
sudo apt-get install okteta
then you can also go fetch my service menu so you can just right click on the file in dolphin and under actions select "edit in okteta)
http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php/Okteta+Service+Menu?content=120570

i wrote this quick and dirty install script for it so you can just unzip and install
its a 7z so you want to install p7zip-full same as above use p7zip-full instead.
after you download the 7z and install p7zip then you can find the file in dolphin r.click-> extract to sub dir , enter the dir it made  press F4 to open a terminal there and run the install with sh install.sh (you shouldn't need the root version).

this is a result of me trying to id the ff7 files that are not readable otherwise for the reconstruction sheet (though its a good time saver and  i should share it :) )

Micky

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010-02-25 21:43:43 »
I had heard of Mono. But I thought you need to source code of the application that you want to port in order to use it - that it just let you compile your .net projects to (sorta) work on Linux. Or have I misunderstood?
The whole .net stuff is a bit like Java. When you compile an application you can generate bytecode or native machine code.
In theory you should be able to run .net applications that are written in bytecode with mono on Linux (and MacOS), in practice it can still fail if it depends on an unimplemented feature.

sithlord48

• View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #6 on: 2010-03-04 18:41:41 »
Bosola, if you need help with kubuntu (im a user btw). come over to the kubuntu forums www.kubuntuforums.net and sign up and create a post.