Author Topic: I cannot beat FFVII!  (Read 5659 times)

willis936

• View Profile
I cannot beat FFVII!
« on: 2010-07-17 02:29:23 »
And it's not for lack of trying!  Honest!  I'm not completely terrible either.
OKAY, what I mean is the game CRASHES everytime I get to the last leg of the game.  It's at an inconsistently random point between when I choose my group for the last time before I do the final JENOVA boss and the boss fight of JENOVA.  I think I've once gotten as far as beating her before it froze.  On some saves it actually freezes on the way to the jenova segment (after the first group selection area).  This is QUITE a frustrating issue.

I've always run with ff7music and the latest version of aali's driver.  This leads me to believe the problem MIGHT be with ff7music.  This makes me a sad panda since I love me some remastered OST almost as much as I love a game that doesn't crash.  I've tried many times with modified and unmodified save files.  Tbh I can't believe it's taken me so long to make this thread.  Does anyone else have this issue?  Does anyone know what's the root cause?  Here's my crash dump for reference:
Code: [Select]
Microsoft (R) Windows Debugger Version 6.12.0002.633 AMD64
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Loading Dump File [C:\Program Files (x86)\Square Soft, Inc\Final Fantasy VII\crash.dmp]
User Mini Dump File: Only registers, stack and portions of memory are available

Symbol search path is: *** Invalid ***
* Symbol loading may be unreliable without a symbol search path.           *
* Use .symfix to have the debugger choose a symbol path.                   *
* After setting your symbol path, use .reload to refresh symbol locations. *
Executable search path is:
Windows 7 Version 7600 MP (8 procs) Free x86 compatible
Product: WinNt, suite: SingleUserTS Personal
Machine Name:
Debug session time: Fri Jul 16 22:05:39.000 2010 (UTC - 4:00)
System Uptime: not available
Process Uptime: 0 days 0:10:35.000
This dump file has an exception of interest stored in it.
The stored exception information can be accessed via .ecxr.
(1bf0.1b20): Access violation - code c0000005 (first/second chance not available)
eax=00000000 ebx=08ce2b70 ecx=01670000 edx=09dc2fec esi=08ce2b30 edi=00174764
eip=77ce0bd2 esp=00174424 ebp=00174434 iopl=0         nv up ei pl zr na pe nc
cs=0023  ss=002b  ds=002b  es=002b  fs=0053  gs=002b             efl=00010246
*** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found.  Defaulted to export symbols for ntdll.dll -
ntdll!ZwGetContextThread+0x12:
77ce0bd2 83c404          add     esp,4

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
Re: I cannot beat FFVII!
« Reply #1 on: 2010-07-17 02:38:52 »
Have you tried without ff7music? It would help us know if that is the problem or not.

willis936

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010-07-17 03:30:02 »
Sorry about that the ff7music thought popped into my head while I was typing that.
Who likes M. Night Shyamalan?  I turned off the ff7music plugin in the config and ran straight off the exe.  I couldn't get midi music to play (even tried turning on the ff7music plugin in the config and ran the config exe after each change) but that's not the problem.  The problem is the game still crashed regardless.

Also while we're here, the "GLITCH: texture conversion error" shows up on fire 3 and quake 2 (I tested the majority of spells and only noticed those two while playing).  The texture didn't work on those but I think the problem resolves itself after the first use but I'm not sure.  Probably just a driver problem and will get fixed in the next release.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010-07-17 04:17:59 »
Do you have any mods other than FF7Music and Aali's driver?

willis936

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010-07-17 04:30:48 »
The latest beta if TA of course

That and YAMP though the latest driver update makes that all but obsolete I just haven't bf'd to get a fresh exe.  I'll do that first thing tomorrow.

Also, mods I didn't mention because I figure they wouldn't effect anything: apz cloud, PRP, bike mini game redux
If it makes a difference I swapped the 1.02's exe icon with a custom one with a program.  The fact that it's embedded might cause some bugs?
« Last Edit: 2010-07-17 05:00:32 by willis936 »

willis936

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010-07-17 05:32:09 »
Okay more troubleshooting attempts:
I took a straight 1.02 exe (no special icon, no extra patches) and tried with that.  I was close to jenova when it crashed.
It seems to happen after the post battle screen trying to open up the field again so it might have something to do with that last field texture (the one jenova appears on).

Also, for sl:  that yellow sign that comes up over the battle menu saying "GLITCH: texture conversion error" continues to pop up.
I tried all spells and summons (no enemy skills yet).
Here's where it got that error (and failed to replace textures, though the old ones were still there):
quake 2
fire 3
leviathan
alexander
neo bahamut
typhon

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010-07-17 05:40:29 »
Turn off the cache and see if that error still comes up.

willis936

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010-07-17 14:58:47 »
Turned off cache and still got the same error over those spells.

Also, does anyone have any idea what the problem could be for the game crash??
The last idea I have is to switch out the lgps with fresh ones, repatch TA and try that because my merging of the PRP lgps ages ago could be interfering with something.  Also I've been having this problem on both installs (on a desktop and a laptop both W7x64).  brb trying that

Also, sl, what I can try is setting modpaths for those textures and see if that helps

Hmm, here's something interesting:  the quake2 folder seems to be missing (or named something I'm not aware of).

Okay so even with a FRESH set of lgps and TA install and modpath set on all of the spells I still get the error, haven't tested the crash yet.

Sweet Jesus that did it!  I don't know which was the problem but I'm going to conclude it was PRP which is unfortunate since that's the most complete NPC mod for now.  I'll just leave out apz and PRP and all that since TA is making such stellar progress.

Let's continue the discussion of the texture conversion error in the TA problem thread
« Last Edit: 2010-07-17 16:06:43 by willis936 »