Author Topic: [FF7PC] Phoenix Rejuvenation Project (Discontinued, use Unified Model Installer)  (Read 690751 times)

sword

• View Profile
Re: [Release] Final Fantasy VII Phoenix Rejuvenation Project
« Reply #25 on: 2008-03-30 23:30:23 »
We don't support downloaded versions of the game. Including Ultima edition.

Swampthing15

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2008-03-30 23:33:23 »
well, unless icecold say otherwise....this mod doesnt work with ultima, most of these mods that ive found being created are for legit copies of FF7 only

taodude

« Reply #27 on: 2008-03-30 23:40:05 »
Sorry, man, but all this stuff technically only works for FF7 PC non-Ultima Edition...but there are ways to get around that...

taodude

« Reply #28 on: 2008-03-30 23:45:00 »
TECHNICALLY, if you are already so inclined to downloading your poison:

IF:  you use the ff7.exe from the original release, or v1.02 ff7.exe, and

IF:  you were to either insert a copy of FF7 disc 1, 2, or 3, or mount a copy of one of those, and

IF:  you altered the registry to look at said drive where said disc(s) is/are located,

you could have a fully installed Ultima Edition FF7 work with these mods.

You would need to find a copy of the FF7 discs...  but, of course, you're already into p2p, aren't you?

Cupcake

• And then it dawned on me, that Satan is also an old fuck.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2008-03-30 23:51:43 »
I'm still getting the same crash, but now I'm also having the upside down video glitch, and the backgrounds don't render properly, 2 errors I never had before, I don't get hit with the upside down video glitch when using the original FF VII exe, but I'm still having issues with the BG not rendering properly

I'll restart now and see if anything changes

taodude

« Reply #30 on: 2008-03-31 01:47:02 »
I'm sure some of you guys have gotten this to work, and i'm sorry if what i'm about to say repeats what someone else has stated, but:

if you move the char.lgp that ffvii prp installs into data\ffprp, into data\field and run ff7.exe instead of ff7-prp.exe (make a backup of your original char.lgp, for goodness sake)...
MOST of the bugs are gone.  I'm playing through it now to see if there are some unforeseen bugs that present themselves at various triggered events in the game. 

of course, some of the features aren't there either.  You could also replace the minigame .lgp's with the data\ffprp's, but i don't know if that'll bug the program out or not.  Discuss.

Swampthing15

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2008-03-31 02:41:59 »
the only lpg files i have in C:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc\Final Fantasy VII\data\ffprp are one named 00 and one named 01....

EDIT: ok using my repeated unistall and reinstalling of the npc rcp mod i figured out that the lpg file named 00 is the char.lpg im assuming that 01 is the minigame one mentioned before....if u rename and replace it as taodude pointed out it seems to work fine.

however judging from the readme file im quite sure this is not the intended use of it lol, and i doubt that any of the other patches such as the chocobo patch and the 1.02 patch is installed with this manner...ill do more testing with that after work tomorrow...its getting late...maybe some1 can confirm that before then.....

hopefully it will work fine with those patches and the 9999 limit mod and what not...and most importantly the fmv skipping mod lol im sooo tired of watching that opening movie scene...lol it was awesome the first 20 times back in 97...
« Last Edit: 2008-03-31 03:09:46 by Swampthing15 »

taodude

« Reply #32 on: 2008-03-31 04:57:35 »
Ha, it seems i'm at a loss for words.  I had char.lpg AND all the minigame .lpg's in my data\ffprp folder already...

Did the new installer place them there?
Did ff7-prp.exe, when ran, extract them and place them there?

I don't remember when i saw them there, before or after i reinstalled it, but they were there, already named as such. 
But, regardless:  i'm sure that renaming and overwriting and using ff7.exe wasn't the intended method, but it seems to be working... for now.  Just make sure you're using the 1.02 exe; less problems. 

By the way, GeForce users:

If you're having problems with random crashes (although it doesn't seem random, it's always three minutes before you get to the next save point...), roll-back your drivers.  The latest drivers (dated december 2007) fudge ff7.exe up.  SO, roll-back to at least the June 2007 drivers, otherwise, ff7 will be an unnecessarily frustrating experience with all of the crashes, graphical glitches, and overall, gayness. 

Oh, stop. :roll:

No, you stop! :-P

ice_cold513

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2008-03-31 08:41:26 »
Ok 1st

Yes i have tested the game from start to end. so did the two beta testers
None had crashes like your having

As a-lot of you are having problem if i cant fix them in 8 to 9 weeks then i will use the old patches system
Remember that this one was   HIGHLY Experimental

2nd As it going right now i need more info

What is your game I.E   French German Spanish or English/US

what Patches you use to make ff7 work for you  Not mods just patches

3rd no this mod was made to run with the real disks not ISO or rips or Ultima Edition witch is just a big rip
But i don't see why a ISO would not work but just try the real cd b4 posting

Just stick with me guys

( Now i know how the boss at Heathrow Terminal 5 feels  lol )

Thanakil

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2008-03-31 18:32:52 »
Tried with CD1 one in physical drive, crashed the same way (strangely enough).
English/US version. On Window XP SP2.
Use V1.02 patch to start it (Nvidia) and then Chocobo patch.
MGP (Bike/Snowboard) to help with speed, but not necessary.

(replacing the char.lg works perfectly fine tho, no crash for now)
« Last Edit: 2008-03-31 21:24:55 by Thanakil »

sword

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2008-03-31 20:42:11 »
Man, I seem to be the only one without any problems.
Anyway, nice job, ice. And thank you for a better way of installation then the beta.

Viashino

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2008-03-31 21:03:00 »
Im interested in joining the team for the phoenix rejuv project.

Secondly i been working on a few models of my own.

But this post is to let u know what i have found so far in the phoenix rej project.

I have a sav file at almost every save point in the game needed, and so far it been the same with every one of them,

(im using plat. english version, XP computer, full install)
1. crash in battles, menu crashes, gold saucer station crashes, changing from room or area to another room/area crash, upside down fmv.

2. Start the game enter first battle get hit, crash
3. walk on world map open menu, crash sometimes
4. Killed Midgar Zolom, monster died, battle doesnt end you just stand there.

I will make a list of things tonight and post some tomorrow, also i will be trying to fix a few of these myself, also please concider me joining the the team.

Swampthing15

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2008-03-31 21:35:28 »
ok so far im running with the char.lgp from the project (for me it was originally labeled 00.lgp) replacing the default char file, and i also installed the 1.02 patch, YAMP patches, and new spell patch by zero88, and im playing with the original shortcut from the game. even tho im not using the projects shortcut, im SOOO happy that u got this new patcher...even tho its got tis glitches before hand i couldnt get the npc rcp to work at all on my comp...i got the random crashes and couldnt fix it...i hope the bugs get worked out and we all can use it...its so much easier

please remember this is using ISO of my discs...my disks arent read by my new burner drive for whatever reason...

as i said before ive got no experience with this type of modding...but if some1 could point me to the correct tools and perhaps a readme/tutorial ill start practicing and maybe i can contribute to this project later...

stormmedia

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2008-04-01 01:59:43 »
Hey there,

I just uploaded the patch somewhere else for those who doesn't like filefront.  Thanks again to Spinningcone for the host. :-)

Here the link.

Swampthing15

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2008-04-01 02:24:44 »
hey storm glad to see ur still working on this...was wondering where uve been

stormmedia

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2008-04-01 20:46:22 »
hey storm glad to see ur still working on this...was wondering where uve been

Well, to be honest, except for participating at finding the new name and the hosting the file, I didn't do much for this release.   With all I've go to do for college, I don't really have time for this.  I expect to be able to participate to the project a little this summer... well, I hope...
« Last Edit: 2008-04-01 20:52:48 by stormmedia »

Swampthing15

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2008-04-02 02:09:12 »
hey guys...i found another minor issue....idk how common it is, but when i was running thru the begining of the game, the restore materia that sit in the path on the way to first boss...was invisible...idk if all item will be but this one was...i couldnt walk past it and its been so long i forgot it was there lol

sword

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2008-04-03 15:10:51 »
I just got a good look at the new save point.
You win 10,000 awesome points.

Swampthing15

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2008-04-03 16:29:23 »
yea save points are awesome looking

and an update on the materia...any that lays on the ground is invisible...atleast all that ive found so far is there but invisible

LOVING the mod so far....

supercool330

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2008-04-04 04:34:04 »
Hi all, I just found the new patch today, and I'm sure the new models are great BUT I can't get it to work at all.  I have the strange boxy grid issue that has come up a few times with HiRes patch, and then the game crashes within 30 of actually taking control.  I also dislike the new method because it makes it impossible to use any other patches.  This would work ok if the other patches recognized this as an original exe, I really like the idea of having PRP separate so that if there is an update we wont have to completely reinstall (because seriously, who kept a backup copy of the char.lgp).  Anyway, thanks for all your hard work, and hopefully I will soon be able to see the new models I have been waiting for.

HeavensCloud

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2008-04-04 09:13:01 »
Hello all, new to these forums, I ordered FF7 a couple of days ago and I was just curious... for those that have experience with it, would you suggest just using the older version of this mod that is compatible with others and known to work, or is this new one worth it?

I'm going to install one of them, but I can't decide.  I would sacrifice being able to use other mods if this new version worked fine, but it seems nearly everyone in this thread has been unable to get it to work properly.  If it does start working fine for everyone, is there enough new models to warrant using this and not being able to safely add other mods?

Basically, this or the .6 version is what I'm asking.

Tsetra

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2008-04-04 10:19:37 »
Honestly they're both great, but from what I've played so far I prefer the old version. I like Cloud with the sword a lot better, and I didn't notice a significant amount of new NPCs running around. They're definitely there, and they look great, but I don't know. The guards also seemed weird to me. They had the look on the field that Square has been using recently, and they look great. But then you get into battle and they look like the same old thing, so I prefer the older guards. The helicopters seemed sort of funny to me as well.
Since nobody told me how to take a good screenshot while playing, I can't post anything for you. Probably the only thing I've seen so far that's stood out as awesome has been the new save point, which is now looks like the limit break "fire" with the buster sword inside of it. But what I listed above outweight it, in my opinion, so eh. If I could find a way to mix and match models, I'll probably end up doing that. I like the older Cloud too much, and yeah it IS a big deal when you're looking at him 99% of the time.
It all comes down to preference though. I haven't bothered testing the update yet, so maybe some of the problems are fixed. Maybe you'll like what I disliked. But if I magically became you, I'd download v0.6.

HeavensCloud

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2008-04-04 10:54:55 »
Thanks for the feedback Tsetra, sounds like you and me think alike (I also love Cloud with the sword on his back  :-D), and seeing how .6 is already fairly stable and known to work with some of the other nice mods out there, I'll be going with that for now. 

Maybe if I become familiar with FF7's files I can start to mix and match models myself, when I first started playing around with mods a lot on a game (Jedi Knight Outcast and Academy) I had no idea what I was doing, but within a few months I was opening up and editing PK3 files myself.

Also a big thanks to everyone who has worked on this and version .6, its people like you that help to keep these older games alive for many of us, I really think modders do not get nearly enough props... Some may do it with the hopes of getting a job in the field one day, but many of you just do it for the satisfaction of improving a game and sharing it with others, and nothing I can say can do justice to how awesome that is.

Swampthing15

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2008-04-04 13:16:16 »
in my case for whatever reason i couldnt get the .6 rcp project to work properly on my comp...i had random freezing that no1 could figure out. and i am running this mod with a bunch of other mods and its working fine...ill explain again how i did that:

install the mod as normal....and then go to the mod folder in your data folder of final fantasy 7 (default is C:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc\Final Fantasy VII\data\ffprp) and copy the char lgp (for some reason mine was named 00.lgp so rename it if u have to) and paste it into C:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc\Final Fantasy VII\data\field replacing the original char.lgp (u did make a backup right?)

after yo do this you can run the game on standard game exe or desktop shortcut not the prp shortcut...then u can install whatever other mods you want ( i have not tested the high res patch yet, nor would i install a file that modified the char.lgp-i dont know what that would do to the game) and dont forget to atleast put the 1.02 patch

i know this is not the intended use but it works...as ive said before for some reason my materia (the stuff laying on the ground not the ones in my inventory) is invisible...but it may be the fact of the way i installed, im waiting for an update to try to reinstall the intended way.

sorry if any of that is hard to follow...i just got up lol and now i have to go to work... :|

Viashino

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2008-04-04 13:18:03 »
I like both versions the exe is nice the sp is nice, but i may just try combining the models in 0.6 with this one to update then and use the 0.6 stuff to work it